Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It is NOT as easy as you may think to come up with a plan that works with numerous tracks and their schedules as well as Tamiya's own schedule.
Maybe. I don't know...doesn't seem like an impossible logistics problem to me...
Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Maybe. I don't know...doesn't seem like an impossible logistics problem to me...
I did call WOH yesturday, they were speculating on an April date but have not talked to Tamiya for many months since last order. . .
Old 11-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

I did call WOH yesturday, they were speculating on an April date but have not talked to Tamiya for many months since last order. . .
Exactly. Here we are expecting the 07 schedule 'any day now' and these guys- who have a beautiful facility & a large hobby shop, have put on a couple of first-class TCS regional races, support Tamiya cars and have a Mini road course racing program twice a week- have not talked to Tamiya in months? I mean, whatup?

Here's the offer: I'm not connected in any way to any track (or the magazine), and am willing to volunteer my time and organizing skills (and rope in other well-connected TCS fans to help) to get a series of LHS to commit to dates if Tamiya will give me a calendar of committed dates from their side. We'll do inside tracks (carpet or asphalt, either is OK) during the winter and spring, outdoor tracks as long as the weather should be decent. Fall dates after the Nats. You name it, we can do it...and we'll make this thing bigger and better and all over the country.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Its hard to criticize Tamiya, because they do this series as a thank you to their customers. I know it is a marketing tool, and I know that they move alot of product because of it. But I know that I have a hard time getting stuff done that I am supposed to, let alone what I want to. For example, I finally painted a new sedan body after laying it out a month ago. There are only so many hours in a day, and if they are telling the truth, they have two guys for the whole marketing dept.. That is alot of work for two people to do. Dont get me wrong, I am as anxious as the rest to get the schedule and start preparing. I still believe that the bottleneck is in Japan. And I think because they are waiting on Japan, they are reluctant to commit to any venues. If I had to guess, I would say that Scotty forced the issue with them because of all the ventures he has going these days and the fact that he is the longest standing venue in the series.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:51 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Here's the offer: I'm not connected in any way to any track (or the magazine), and am willing to volunteer my time and organizing skills (and rope in other well-connected TCS fans to help) to get a series of LHS to commit to dates if Tamiya will give me a calendar of committed dates from their side. We'll do inside tracks (carpet or asphalt, either is OK) during the winter and spring, outdoor tracks as long as the weather should be decent. Fall dates after the Nats. You name it, we can do it...and we'll make this thing bigger and better and all over the country.

Yeah, make it happen brotha Mertes!!!! Those poor guys at Tamiya are too busy -- they oughtta farm that work out to somebody who'll git er done.

And right quick, I'd expect!!!

bruce
Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Just tryin' to help out and do my part.
Love the series, love the people, love the company.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Exactly. Here we are expecting the 07 schedule 'any day now' and these guys- who have a beautiful facility & a large hobby shop, have put on a couple of first-class TCS regional races, support Tamiya cars and have a Mini road course racing program twice a week- have not talked to Tamiya in months? I mean, whatup?

Doc:

Feel free to rope me in to help - sounds like a good idea. If Tamiya gives you the go ahead, let's do it.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Doc I share your frustraition and lack of understanding of the Tamiya meat grinder. At the rate they are going the TCS season is getting smaller and smaller. You would think that the TCS series would be an easy way to increase sales, create an awareness and promote the hobby. I get disappointed when there is no real sense that an effort is being made to the series. For being the longest running series the 06 nats I only saw a 2 page spread in RC Extreme, a not very good one at that to make me buy it (which is a shocker). Maybe I missed others, I have checked but have not seen them.

After all these years there might be more build-up instead of something less or status quo. Actually a past nats winner who went to Japan said if he knew what would happen if he won, he would have intentionally lost so he could continue to be active and reap rewards from the series.
No, it was not Whippler.

If there were no TCS series I can think of a bunch of people that never would have bought cars let alone Tamiya ones. If I never raced the Tamiya Series I never would have bought a Tamiya car. Actually my first Tamiya race I had borrowed a car and did not expect much coming off pan-car oval. I know from some of those people watching me run my Tamiya cars locally I had an influence on marketing the car and selling it.

1) The TCS series is a good way to market Tamiya in racing. I really don't see how difficult it is to pull the Dates and Rule information together. I would think logically after a Trackside race, I would start talking dates for the next year, while on site. Usually show dates work 9 to 12 months in advance if not more, not too hard to do. Then confirm the dates in Sept-Oct after the Nats.

2) Since the US is a decent group I almost see the need for a website. Mainly to further coordinate & get race and product info out there. A 1 stop shop of sorts for info. I would see such a site to have setups for all the cars, forums and misc info dedicated to Tamiya and Tamiya racing. Example; I have a F103, what parts would I need to convert it to a F103GT. Then have a comparison between the kit price and buying the parts price. Stuff like that. By the way, I am a website developer.

3) The series is a thank you for Tamiya racers. What about the Tracks & Hobbyshops? Why not give the tracks with 100 or more racers from the regional race another race. Allow them to charge $10 a car and Tamiya can help them with prizes. These races could also be a test bed for the next season rules. Have these races finish off the rest of the year.

There are so many things that could be done with minimal effort from Tamiya. If I were in marketing I would tap into the passion of the Tamiya racers.
This so far has not been done.

Last edited by A-Ko; 12-02-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:57 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

A-Ko - I am a TCS novice. I agree with most of what you say. I've been involved with R/C racing at a sportsman level for many years. Tamiya like most of the successful coporations don't need to do anything like the TCS series to be successful. They are not a corporation that totally depends on the R/C market to make huge profits. Why don't all of the R/C manufacturers do more at the grass root level to stimulate racing. They don't have to. To me, it's very short sighted. If Tamiya wanted to stimulate the market to a greater degree, they would. If they wanted the hobby shops to carry parts like they do for Assoxciated, Traxxas, and Losi they would do more. I think they are basically indifferent about the racers. If they wanted better coverage of their series they would put pressure on the magazines like R/C Car Action to do so. Look at the amount of advertsing they do. I think good evidence of Tamiya's indifference was evident by the fact they had no presence at the hobby show. There were people who drove hours assuming they would be there. When I emailed Tamiya, they said that was a decision made in Japan. I believe that whoever is in charge in the U.S. has agreat influence on that decision. I think that the corporate leaders in the U.S. have to have the deicision making power over the race schedule. Just as you said, scheduling is not a difficult task if you work at it. When the Tamiya race is held, you ask the hobby shop owner if they want to hold a race again on the corresponding date next year. If the rules are the hang up, communicate that to your fans through the web site. If they were interested in promoting their products even more, they would give some incentives to the hobby shops as you said. I don't get it.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

The fact that Tamiya has the TCS is proof of their commitment. When it comes down to it, racers are a pain in the ass. Just look at whats going on here, a bunch of people sitting around whining about the lack of rules and schedule. Believe me, I am anxious to see whats up for next year, but I am sure that Fred and company have a good reason for not releasing the schedule. I think the lack of product compared to the domestic manufacturers is a result of warehousing space and manpower, if I had to guess. The last I heard the US was Tamiyas 2nd biggest market next to Japan. I think that unlike Toyota and other "world domination " driven companies, Tamiya wants their home market to be #1. To everyone that volunteered to run the series, good luck! I don't doubt your intentions or commitment, but what do you think the chances of Tamiya relinquishing control ( be it even a little) to an outsider? I would guess slim to none, with none out front by a bit.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Initiate

A F103GT class would be very cool. It would be nice to have a quick 540 class again. That would be worth traveling for.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Tech Initiate

2007 Eurocup rules. Perhaps the US will get lucky?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-picture-3.png  
Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

MD
I agree. I posted a little about the hobbyshow that Tamiya could have come in a limited way like much of the other companies, a little more leaner, a few cars and a few people to run it. I think it was an all or nothing mentality. Since they only had new prototypes stuck in Japan for their show, we got the nothing. On the grass roots level more could be done. If I remember right for a hobbyshop to be able to enter a series they have to carry $3,000 in Tamiya parts. That does not sound like a lot of money but to a struggling track it is. I would guess the track that closed in DeKalb probably only had about 1,000 in Tamiya parts. Maybe if they were still around they could have been a TCS series track in 08, well that dream is gone.

BP Shadow
Really we have not done anything to be a pain. Tamiya can read these threads or ignore them. I think they do the latter. There is a dis-connect that puts many racers into limbo. Currently I am un-employed and working odd jobs. Do you think that I want to buy a F103GT or convert my F103 without knowing if there is a class? The temptation is there but I am not biting. I am sure there are others not biting either until they see the rules. There are also some who will not buy the car because it would be a 1 race wonder. Most tracks will not race the car as a regular class, unless perhaps 3 or more show up. I don't think we are trying to take over Tamiya but perhaps we could free up time that Tamiya US marketing would rather spend elsewhere. Tamiya USA does have more power than you might think, if they didn't then we would only be racing Japan rules...

ASERS07
Perhaps lucky for F103GT.
Unlucky for 2007 rules and scheduling timing.

I would be in favor of having a go between Tamiya USA and the people who race the series. One person should be enough to funnel what we need. I would think Doc would be perfect because he goes to all most all of the races. We would not be creating rules or taking over TUSA but perhaps taking some of the workload off TUSAs efforts. I do think there needs to be a change if the TCS series continues. The bright side for Tamiya is they would tap into some of the passion for series regulars. I could see Doc & Minidriver work on marketing and schedule coordination with the tracks. I would be happy to work on a website and get a vboard going. I am sure MD, Difuser, Doc, Mushymike, 414mph, etc.. would be happy to kick in content about Tamiya cars. We would not be an official Tamiya site just something to make coordination, planning, rule changes and last minute details available.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:58 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I don't think it's too much to ask for Tamiya to communicate through its website about the delay in scheduling or rules for the TCS. If there is going to be a big change to the classes and rules, simply say so through the website. A-Ko's idea about a website is a good one. How about opening the TCS section of their site to contributions from experienced TCS veterans. This would actually take some pressure off Tamiya, but still give drivers help. Obviously, they would have control, but it would bring more people to the site. I sure could use some help with my set-ups. I think if the driver of my Tamiya cars was replaced, that would be the biggest improvement. They could do profiles or features on experienced drivers, very young drivers, etc. We should probably complain to the magazines about the coverage of the TCS. There is very stiff competition among the four major magazines.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Jeff,
Sorry to hear about your employment misfortunes, hopefully you will be able to run this season. And you are right, we have not done anything wrong by posting here, but in general, racers are a pain in the ass, myself included. Its the nature of the beast.I have never met a racer or a race car driver that didnt whine or bitch or complain about something. Look at your hero Mr. Gordon he is probably most guilty of it. I have talked to some hobby shop/track owners and they much prefer the TMAXX/monster truck crowd, because they spend like the money is going out of style and they go away, until they break or their buddy beats them. Racers hang around, complain, hang around some more, expect a discount , complain some more, well you get the idea. I wasnt implying that you were trying to "take over Tamiya" im just saying that maybe to a fault Tamiya is a bit of a control freak, they want to do it all from the inside. I have many times thought of starting some sort of organization dedeicated to these money pits that we obsess about. So on that note, can I get a show of hands of people that would be willing to join a group, for a modest fee ($20 or so annually) that celebrates all things Tamiya, maybe organizes some events , stuff like that. Maybe if we organize, we can get Tamiya to endorse it and get some discounts or support or something. How about it? PM me with your thoughts, hate mail, death threats, insults , suggestions etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.