Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A little birdie said that Memphis is on the chopping block for being part of the graveyard of past series tracks. Main reasoning is they did not carry enough TCS parts. . .? I would hate to see a long running track, awesome site, great people and BBQ sauce fall by the way-side. Actually it is giving me the Blues in missing the Blues. . .

So to save Memphis TCS call and email Hobbytown Memphis AND call and email Tamiya USA.

I have been to sites with a lot poorer Tamiya stock and they still ran TCS races.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:50 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I emailed Tamiya last week to ask about the TCS schedule for 2007. They said they "hoped" to have it out this week. I have a hard time understanding why this takes so long. I could see that rule changes my take longer, but the schedule would be done a lot more quickly.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

MD- Part of it is the shop owners getting back to Tamiya and part of it is the show schedule. While TCS is it's own series they also have to work it around the other promotions that Tamiya has. Hobby shows, TamiyaCon, National races are all events that are part of the calendar along with TCS and all of those events also have dates that need to coordinated.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Although they did back out of the Chicago Hobbyshow which takes at least a solid month to prepare for. The Japan show & Nurenberg is done by Tamiya Japan.

Soooooo....

Consider it a 6 month break, with 2 months before the 1st race the schedule will come out. Not something to set your vacations to but hopfully some of the regulars will be able to attend some of the races as well as get parts for last minute rule changes. . .
Old 11-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

But just think of how many F103GTs are NOT going on Christmas lists because we don't know if they will be a class.

At least release the rules so we know what classes will be run.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:32 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Difuser - I understand that Tamiya Corp. has a lot on their plate. However, scheduling races seems to be a task that they should be able to handle much more quickly. The finals in California are usually about the same time each year. When coaches or athletic directors make up their schedules, they simply ask their opponents if they want to play on the corresponding date the next year. That task is usually completed shortly after a season is over. I think Tamiya could do the same. They can ask the track owners if they want to hold a race the next year at the same time. We are talking about a world wide corporation with a huge amount of employees. The TCS series earns them a lot of p.r. throughout the world. They could also make it more attractive to the hobby shop owners to sponsor races. Tamiya also knows that they are basically the only game in town. I don't think the HPI Challenge Series exists anymore. Does Kyosho stll do the Mini-Z series? Coming up with rule changes may take longer.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As I understand it Japan actually has more to do with scheduling than you might think. They also pretty much dictate the rules and the classes. So it is very possible that the bottleneck is in Japan, not Aliso. I wish they would post the classes and the rules so we can get cars and parts ordered. I already have a 103 GT built and a second one under construction. The class is getting alot of attention here in Detroit. Mark Rodney acually won stock sedan rubber last week with a 103GT, I think thats pretty impressive, especially for only being the second week on track.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 AM
MD
Tech Champion

BP - You're probably correct about corporate in Japan. I know when I emailed Tamiya in California about their lack of appearance at the Hobby Show in Chicago, they said the decision was made in Japan. If you don't mind saying, what kind of price are you paying for the F103GT's? I think that class sounds interesting. I am sure if there is a class for those cars, there will be a lot of interest. Are F103gt drivers in your area running rubbber tires?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MD
BP - You're probably correct about corporate in Japan. I know when I emailed Tamiya in California about their lack of appearance at the Hobby Show in Chicago, they said the decision was made in Japan. If you don't mind saying, what kind of price are you paying for the F103GT's? I think that class sounds interesting. I am sure if there is a class for those cars, there will be a lot of interest. Are F103gt drivers in your area running rubbber tires?
I built mine from spare 103 parts I had leftover (call it a sickness) The stuff I didnt have I bought off of ebay from singapore. I got enough parts to build two chassis , one with a graphite chassis for 80 or 90 bucks. If you buy the 103GT chassis kit, I have seen them for as low as $85+ shipping. the Courage is around $125+ shipping. We are currently trying to get more participants here in Detoit, but we are dead set on rubber tires. Some early discussions online centered on running foams, but the core group threw it out.
I think that rubber tire classes are making a comeback. at least around here.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:18 PM
MD
Tech Champion

BP- Thanks for the information. I have been interested in the F103gt since I heard that it's a possibility for the TCS. I have seen a lot of items on Ebay. My R/C racing roots go back to the Associated 10L. I am not a great racer and a novice in the TCS. There are a lot of loyal Tamiya drivers in the Midwest. I find it frustrating that Tamiya doesn't make an appearance at the hobby show and they are slow in coming out with the TCS schedule. Thanks again for the information.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Posted my MoshMike in Trackside TCS Race March 2-4 2007 in Wisconsin section.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=137757

Hey everyone! TCS 2007 is about to get under way! Our stop will be the first weekend in March. Friday the 2nd will be practice during normal store hours for a $10 fee. Saturday will be qualifying and Sunday will be the mains. Rules will be posted shortly on Tamiya America's website and final details to come.
Just wanted to get everyone thinking about it now. That also means the HUGE Tamiya order before the race. SO, If anyone wants to order stuff or has suggestions to have parts on hand, LET ME KNOW NOW!!! I'd love to hear what chassis' will be used and what drivers are wanting. Hop ups and spares especially! I will be focusing on 415 and TA05 for touring and of course, MINI! We will also have rally and spec classes TBD when the rules are posted. I would like to get one order in before the end of the year for all the special parts you would like for your own cars. It is sure to be another big and exciting race weekend!!!
Mike

Another track date confirmed, Doc, buy your tickets.....

Marty
Old 11-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Done and done!
I get in around noon on Friday, fly out Sunday night (thank goodness they brought back the 745pm flight!). Anybody wanna share a room at the Courtyard? Gary?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Game on!!!!!!!
I hope they release the rules soon, I am ready to order bodies and need to know if they will change the rules ala The Nats. Anyone else heard of any other host sites besides rackside and SIR?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

As far as the regionals go, there will be NO body rule change. It will stay only for the Nats.

Just a reply on why the schedule isn't out yet... The guys at Tamiya have to get together with the LHS owners to work out a schedule that works for both. We here at Trackside Only within the last few weeks were able to confirm a date due to our race schedule and business dates for our owner. It is NOT as easy as you may think to come up with a plan that works with numerous tracks and their schedules as well as Tamiya's own schedule. Plan on March for the first races and go from there. Still plenty of time. Relax...deep breaths!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:57 PM

Talking

Just goes to show Canada is, well, Canada.

My mini is all polished up and ready to go. The TAO5 on the other hand still needs some work. Which springs are racers running on their TAO5's at Trackside?

RADAR.... Ping....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.