Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TAMIYA!!! NEED A SOUTHEAST RACE! Fla. Ga, Al?

Please

Paul

BTW hey guys...still flying Uncle Sam's planes over the "Unfriendly" skies
Old 10-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Rich, I don't think the Frederick deal is dead at all. If Richard talked to Fred and told him he wanted an event, he's probably still in the running. Last year Seattle was a little later in the season, so maybe those two tracks can swap dates. If I understand Tamiya's inclinations, they prefer to run the indoor tracks when the weather is foul and cold, and the outdoor tracks later in the season. First outdoor race we had last year was Memphis (and that would have been better if it was later- less chance of rain). The Aliso Regional race was later than ever for some reason, and Laurel was several weeks earlier than normal (although if my memory bank is correct, waaaaay back in the day they ran Laurel in late May). So like Jeff The Wise One said, we shall see...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Find a friendly, traditional hobby store that promotes or is interested in promoting Tamiya products and have them call/fax/email Tamiya. The reality is that such quality stores are hard to find or have owners that aren't interested or just don't sell much Tamiya anymore.

The hobby store owner is more responsible for letting it be known that he can and has the capabilities to run a race.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrio
Find a friendly, traditional hobby store that promotes or is interested in promoting Tamiya products and have them call/fax/email Tamiya. The reality is that such quality stores are hard to find or have owners that aren't interested or just don't sell much Tamiya anymore.

The hobby store owner is more responsible for letting it be known that he can and has the capabilities to run a race.
Isnt that what the Tamiya USA Marketing department for?

I know and "have known" many tracks that could/could have done TCS races. The track (parkinglot) I raced at all summer could have easily done it.

How do you convince someone to carry parts they don't see a need to carry them?

Why should I order Tamiya parts at full list, wait a week when I can get it at 15%-20% off at another non parkinglot racing hobbyshop that can either stock or order it in days?

Many of us have worked hard on various tracks and hobbyshops. I think Tamiya needs to step up to the plate and start pinpointing areas of attack, areas to approach, regions that are dry and get new blood (tracks) into their current running series. They also need to find a way to make it easier for tracks/hobbyshops to get into the series. After 12 years I would think Tamiya would have, should have, could have been a bigger deal of a series than it is. Maybe to me it seems like it is bigger but the scale of things it is only an aquired taste.

As of right now when a new track comes, an old track goes from the TCS Series. TCS racing is a good way to get money for selling cars and parts.

What Tamiya needs to remember we do this for fun, we are not paid to do it, not paid to do Tamiya's marketing job and many of us have limited resources. When the burden of the series gets too much people jump ship, sell everything, find another hobby or just focus on local racing.

Last edited by A-Ko; 11-02-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Jeff brings up some good points. However I dont know that if there were more events that I would be able to race them anyways. For some of us there is a time/cash ratio that dictates how many races we can do. Tamiya wants to control where and how their races are run, understandably. What they should look at is how to market local or regional racing by the track owners, and how to have these tracks live up to Tamiyas standards. We all pay to club race, so how many of us would pay to run a Tamiya race? Whats the difference.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'd love to race at more than one TCS race per year (without having to buy plane tickets). And no, I wouldn't mind having to pay to race a TCS event - we all spend $40 for one set of tires, what's another $15 or $20.

I'm 2 hours from Trackside. If they had 2 TCS races per year, I'd race at both. Or if Indy or Minneapolis or anywhere else less than a 6 or 7 hour drive away would have a TCS race, I'd probably go.

But to get more TCS races, I think the question you need to answer is: how does the US get more Tamiya racers? I think the answer may be: mini coopers and F103GTs. Two racing series around Wisconsin now have mini cooper classes, that's a good sign. A Tamiya F1 class would be great too. If mini coopers/swifts and F103GTs take off at the club level, then there may be more demand for TCS races from more racers. Tamiya touring cars already have all sorts of places to race (all the big touring car races), so I;d concentrate more on the unique cars.

So, if I were president of Tamiya USA, I'd do whatever I could to grow the M03 chassis, the F103GT chassis, and Tamiya F1 across the country.

I don't know, maybe this is a chicken and egg thing. The best way to create interest in M03's and F103GTs may be to have 25 TCS races a year in the US.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, 6 hours of driving is about my limit. We used to go to the Hanover race and that drive is 8 or 9 hours from Detroit and the weather never seemed to cooperate on race weekend. I couldnt agree more that TCS needs to get back to its roots and the classes that made it popular to begin with. Having no F1 chassis or class is an utter travesty, TCS was built on F1. The hang up is the licensing fees that the teams and sponsors are charging Tamiya forthem to be able to produce the kits. Lets face it, who wants to buy a kit of a spyker or minardi? we all want the big name teams and unfortunately those cost big money
Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Isnt that what the Tamiya USA Marketing department for?
Yea, and the marketing dept right now is at a staggering amount of TWO people. I think people are often mis-interpret Tamiya America with Tamiya Japan (which is huge and equipped with various tracks and various manufacturing and processing plants). There are roughly 25 people total at Tamiya America. Domestic sales justify more $$$ being spent and as long as consumers can't wait for the latest and greatest by purchasing overseas for a better price or online to save $1, then the general trend is a diminishing supply of a good LHS and less outreach from Hobby companies to the mass consumer.

If a Hobby store doesn't see a need to carry or promote Tamiya parts, doesn't that counter effect the purpose of a TCS race? Afterall, it is a promotional for Tamiya and a business opportunity for the hobby store owner. It wouldn't look good going to a TCS race with a store full of Traxxas and HPI cars and parts would it?

Imagine getting 10-20 calls a week, every person claiming they have the greatest track and location and then after 30 minutes of conversation they tell you that they can garner a whopping 20 people for a TCS race they plan to host. Its easy to sit back and point here and there for the most awesome locations and what not. I wouldn't think that Tamiya or Tamiya America has unlimited resources for marketing $$$ such as Pepsi or other large corporations that can afford to have an army of people solely dedicated to the goal of appealing their product to the consumer.

And although the loyal Tamiya customer isn't paid to do a marketing job for Tamiya, this type of grass-roots, homely, and niche hobby requires such methods to survive. How else can someone in Tamiya USA out of the west coast be assured of an owner that knows how to run a race, wants to run a race, is willing to dedicated part of his inventory to Tamiya items, and can garner enough racers to dictate an event without someone traveling out there to check it out? The owner themselves have to marketing the race themselves. I'm sure Best Buy doesn't purchase Sony televisions and sit back to hope everyone sees a Sony commericial and comes in to buy it
Old 11-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

I guess it IS a "chicken or egg" thing - which comes first TCS races or hobby shops carrying Tamiya parts?

If the current way is working, leave it alone. If Tamiya wants to grow more in the US than it is now, then they should try something different - all current TCS sites get 3 races a year, or have a goal of 20 TCS races per year, something. In my opinion, the more TCS races there are, the more interest in Tamiya, the more demand for parts, the easier it will be to convince hobby shops to stock Tamiya parts.

As for F1, if I knew I could race at least 3-4 times a year with it, I may get one.

Do I need it to be a Ferrari??? Nope. Make a generic "open wheel" body, call it the F104, then it could be F1, Champ Car, Indy Car, whatever.

Come out with the clear Courage body in an F103GT kit, announce it as a TCS class before Christmas, and I bet at least a few of us would have Santa bringing us a F103GT kit.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

All valid points. You're right on most counts. We tend to get caught up in our own interests and forget that Tamiya is in business to make money, and that they put on the TCS series as a courtesy to their customers. They would be more profitable without running the TCS , but its a catch 22, would thery move as much product without TCS? Its hard to say
Old 11-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

I think Tamiya would definitely sell more product if it had more TCS races in the US.

Double or triple the number of TCS races at current sites until that builds enough interest in Tamiyas, then split some of those races off to other sites as other sites develop Tamiya followings.

I don't know, just throwing out ideas. This would be a great master thesis for some bright marketing student.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think Tamiya would be more profitable without TCS, it is a big part of what the company is... a free, low cost racing series for loyal Tamiya customers (at least that's the idea). Another reason why I don't think anyone will ever be charged for a Tamiya race. As someone said, its a "chicken or egg" thing because everyone has valid points. I'm sure Tamiya wants to support their loyal hobby store owner that is prepared for racing by giving them a TCS site. In return the hobby store owner helps to promote the product and attract new customers for Tamiya. In a perfect world, everyone benefits.

Its hard to have a direct correlation between $xxx dollars used to market = $xxx dollars made. As with all things, change is slow but growth is a necessity. Hopefully eventually there will be a crazy amount of new LeMans and other awesome bodies to accomodate a open wheel class as that seems to be the general concensus online in terms of popularity.

Oh, and the clear Courage body is out and selling well.
1825437 (body)
9335466 (wing + headlights)
51264 body set
51265 body set finished
Just for anyone that is interested
Old 11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

What kid of turn outs do you guys get in the US for TCS races?

what are the biggest class's ? i assume GT1 and GT2
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
What kid of turn outs do you guys get in the US for TCS races?

what are the biggest class's ? i assume GT1 and GT2
I know at the Tamiya HQ track they've been talking about making it a two-day race because we have had a hard time finishing before it gets dark.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

I counted about 152 entries from Trackside, a 2 day event. Some of these are from the same driver, I'd guess 110 - 120 drivers.

GT1, GT2, GT3, Mini03 each had between 28 and 33, and I have got to get a life if counting entries to a race 6 months ago is the best thing I've got to do tonight.

Last edited by Hawk6; 11-02-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.