Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccardr
So, anybody get a date for their 2007 TCS event from their track owner/race director yet?
Just us I guess.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I wouldnt say that Larry is reverting back to TCS classes, but its better than its been in a long time. As a matter of fact, I heard that if the race turnouts dont pick up, Larry might shut the track down, I would think that he would keep the store open, just not have a track. That would be a serious hit to my local racing activities, so if there is anyone in the Detroit area looking to do some racing, Larrys is your spot. By the way, the last TCS race he held was a mess, but we were all caught out. I got the call from Gary Demory on Friday night, but much like you, both my cars were set up for carpet, and we had been practicing there for weeks before hand. I got lucky with my F1 car and was fairly dominant all day until I lifted too much in the sweeper with a minute to go and handed the win to Dave Weir. Still recovered for second, but it sucks to lead for 4 minutes and give it away. Oh well, there will be others.
Yeah, racing at the last TCS at Detroit was an interesting mess. Showed up at Larry's to be told it was moved. The last minute change in venue meant we were racing on a dusty indoor running track type surface that couldn't be cleaned (union rules I think) even though there were those of us volunteering to do the cleaning, just give us a bucket and mop. The only way I was able to drive my F103 was to dial the Tekin ESC torque control as low as I could (under 15 amp max), put in my worst silver can and gear it to the moon so as to eliminate as much power as I could! Drove it like there was a fragile egg right under the trigger finger. I will remember Detroit as the only place I was able to best Whippler in Mini too, he's beat on me at my home track (Trackside) ever since.

I would like to see the TCS Regionals add some dates, I would be all in favor of seeing those tracks that have proved they can support a TCS event (SIR, TRACKSIDE,) being awarded a 2nd race per year. I'm not sure how well that would go with the track owners (as these races are free, have to pay their way with increased Tamiya sales for the weekend).

Maybe the way to make it happen is to give the 2nd race to those tracks to run without Tamiya sending out in person support, but sending some prizes and the award medalions and have the experienced race directors at the venues I'm thinking of do the gig. Saves Tamiya the airfare, hotel, car, salary, etc. Certainly that wouldn't be any real additional work for the track owners, they are there for the race anyway, do the announcing, etc. (Not that I wouldn't love Fred to visit us more than once a year, just throwing out ideas to hopefully pump up the TCS series). Tamiya would of course provide the promotion materials (ads) just as they do now. Alternative, maybe the "guest race director" for these events would be a designated Past TCS Nationals winner (and SIR and TRACKSIDE both have multiples of these in town still active in TCS (Troy, Doc Hickman, Scotty, Dan Garber, Me, etc). I still drive only Tamiya and would be happy to do it (I'd just hate losing the chance to race that particular second event!).
Old 10-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by SilverShelby
sorry guys,
But it's time to move on.I want to finsh restoring my 1986 Shelby Charger,but
it's hard to be into something when the racing is not there.
and you local hobbyshop is more in to selling airplanes and diecast
so you lose interst in it,it's hard to keep buying things to keep up and
not many times to use it.
but don't fret i will be keeping one mini and my dauthers tl01
if money is good for the memphis race i'll see what i can do
thanks for the concern and support.
mike masters

ps I really injoy the races and people that are in this sport!!!
A big thank you goes to "Bill,Doc,Jeff,Todd,Gary and everyone i forgot it say
But Mike, we had such fun in CA in Mini A2 this year - you most certainly can't pull out of Mini racing! (I hope you got the DVD I sent you).

If you're dead set on gettin out altogether (and I hope you're not), can I be first in line for your good silver cans??

Too bad the local racing isn't up to snuff around you. I really dread thinking the "what if" my local track would close - it would probably force me to raid my retirement monies to try my own hand at running a track. (Thank God for Scotty, my wife would probably shoot me if I tried it!)
Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mike-
SELL NO SILVER CANS!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mike-
SELL NO SILVER CANS!!!
Right, sell no silver cans.

Donate them to me!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

I was shocked that Tamiya backed out of the Chicago Hobbyshow.
They probably did not have any silver cans to sell or to donate to minidriver. . .
Old 10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

You guys make this a fun sport!!!!!
no i won't stop racing mini i hope tamiya will pull there heads out and
come up 2007 races
as for the cars all my touring sedans are up for sell
i'll be keeping the minis and tb02r
so i'll see you guys at cinn. and memphis and i hope some more
later
mike

jeff,
sorry for not getting back with you
will try this weekend
last weekend was fun picked up a 1972 240Z
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I was shocked that Tamiya backed out of the Chicago Hobbyshow.
They probably did not have any silver cans to sell or to donate to minidriver. . .
When I found out they were not going to be at the show I emailed them to find out why, they said they had to concentrate on the Tokyo show.

Was a bummer, I really wanted to see the LE TA05 Porsche 934 and the new 4WD buggy based on the TA05.
other no shows were RC America, Associated, Kyosho, and HPI. I think that was all the biggies not there.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Also thanks Dave I owe you one!!!!!
the DVD is super!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Dave, word on the street is that the Trackside TCS race will be the first weekend in March. What does Scotty say?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

SilverShelby
No Problemo. I do like the 72 240z reminds me of the 60s Jaguar that I could never afford, where the 240z would be a car I could never find. Although I am still sore over the Datsun name change. . .

f1larry
You would think that Tamiya Japan would not need help from Tamiya USA.
I heard that excuse too. I would have come, instead of 6-8 stalls spots only took 2. Have a simple display with new releases and took orders offering 10-20% off list on customer days. I think their over-kill in Chicago gets the best of them. . .
Old 10-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Dave, word on the street is that the Trackside TCS race will be the first weekend in March. What does Scotty say?
I honestly don't know if scotty knows yet. Usually he would have john throw it on their website but no such luck yet. Well unless the confirmed dates are hush hush as of right now.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 10-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by A-Ko
SilverShelby
No Problemo. I do like the 72 240z reminds me of the 60s Jaguar that I could never afford, where the 240z would be a car I could never find. Although I am still sore over the Datsun name change. . .

f1larry
You would think that Tamiya Japan would not need help from Tamiya USA.
I heard that excuse too. I would have come, instead of 6-8 stalls spots only took 2. Have a simple display with new releases and took orders offering 10-20% off list on customer days. I think their over-kill in Chicago gets the best of them. . .
It's actually the other way around. To prepare for two shows across the world would mean that you need two of everything (new items). You need technicians and painters to do two of everything and budget across for two shows, etc, etc. That also cuts down on your deadline times and your man power, especially if something is still in the prototype stages and you haven't got a production model yet.

This is also the same reason Sony and some big name manufacturers backed out of the the large electronic gaming E3 convention. Its cheaper to invite industry peeps to your facilities instead of budgeting and preparing a whole year's worth of work into one show.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by larrio
It's actually the other way around. To prepare for two shows across the world would mean that you need two of everything (new items). You need technicians and painters to do two of everything and budget across for two shows, etc, etc. That also cuts down on your deadline times and your man power, especially if something is still in the prototype stages and you haven't got a production model yet.

This is also the same reason Sony and some big name manufacturers backed out of the the large electronic gaming E3 convention. Its cheaper to invite industry peeps to your facilities instead of budgeting and preparing a whole year's worth of work into one show.
That makes sense. Although even if I only had 1 new item I might try to come up with a show. Maybe not as elaborate as Japan, just enough to wet people appitite or generate new interest.

Thanks for the response.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.