Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

sorry, double post

Last edited by Hawk6; 10-12-2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: double post
Old 10-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Getting something going and keeping something going are 2 different things. The problem with Tamiya, at least here in Detroit is that we are a "chassis of the week" society. There are alot of drivers running 415's and TA05's, but I guarantee you that 6 months from now they will be onto something else. Somehow we managed to keep our F201 class going for 4 years, next season we will run a LeMans class with 103GT's. Hopefully Tamiya supports and develops the class.
Maybe people move to other chassis's, because there's no incentive to keep the same chassis (like 3 big races a year to look forward to).

Assume for the moment that each track that had a TCS race in 2006 now will have 3 TCS races in 2007...

Announce in November that the 2007 TCS classes will be (for example): Spec, GT3, GT2, GT1, M03, M04, and F103GT.

So now, we can all go out and buy a "chassis of the year". I'd bet a few of us would go out and buy a F103GT, because we know we'll get to race it in 3 big races next year, rather than crossing our fingers, getting two buddies to buy them so you can run them weekly and hope they catch on (and hope your 2 buddies show up every week).

If F103GT, or M04 turnout is low in 2007, maybe it gets dropped in 2008. Tamiya could use these 30 races sprinkled throughout the year to measure market acceptance of F103GT, M04, etc.

Whatever. These are just toy cars. We all probably have bigger issues to deal with.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am speaking a touch for Doug (SIR) here.

We would not be opposed to doing more TCS races. We already run a very similar program to TCS in regards to motors. What I think speaking from the tracks point is that you would dilute the appeal of the Regional. There is a big build-up in interest in the 1-2month period before the race. Those that have never raced a Regional, those that have, those that cherrypick(just for Katzer). I know we are slightly different than most tracks being that our core group came from TCS and we live the format, whilst not the strict ruling of parts, on a daily basis.

The good part for Tamiya and Fred to see is the passion and interest from the racers. As for having more of those official TCS races, you are going to be hard pressed for staffing. I know currently with Hobby shows, races and other non-RC events Tamiya is hard pressed to put the current schedule on now. The juggling act and time that it takes to put the TCS schedule is not because has his finger in his rear. It is due to events that are annual and have not published their schedule. I think it is I-Hobby or another is this coming weekend have they published next years date yet? Add all the other races and ??? in and you can see where this leads.

For now ask your local tracks who host currently to see what they are willing to do to help. Approach them with a commitment from 3-5 of you to support them with purchases and weekly racing. Ask can we have a "Tamiya Cup" insert the chassis you want to run put a point series with it and a group of rules. Run it to TCS rules maybe with 1 or 2 deviations that make sense for you locally(tires, bodies, etc. ) Make it easy for others to join in and make sure that the group is having fun. If the other(Losi, AE, X-Ray)drivers see you havingg fun they will want to join in and that gives the shop sales. At the end of the day the shop(for profit business) should see the light and why they would want to run this. It will take some part on your part also though.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

I would like to see a track to get back a 2nd race. What Tamiya did instead was make bigger venues into 2 day events.

From a business standpoint I can see Tamiya wants to expand their marketplace. Unfortunately when a new TCS Series track starts another one ends. There are even a few 1 hit wonders.

I always thought Tamiya could do is have thank you races from Sept - Nov giving tracks limited support for another race, Maybe tracks that pulled 100 or more would get this. Limited support would be nobody flies out from Tamiya, instead of TCS hockeypucks give out small plaques, limited raffle and prizes. Keep it 1 day, allow tracks to charge small entry fees, etc. .

The reality of TCS is to get another race in your area you will need to get find another track. It is tough, especially if the Hobbyshop carries zero Tamiya products. Maybe in 08 I could get an outside race to happen in my area, again it will take some prompting and work in 07.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

When I said chassis of the week, I meant that this week they are running Tamiya. Next week will be Xray and the one after that will be TC4.5 if you catch my drift. These guys could give a rats ass about Tamiya or TCS. We probably have the second largest collection of factory drivers next to California here in Detroit. The sponsored drivers have a tremendous amount of influence over the club racers. I run my Tamiya chassis' year round , and they are TCS legal at all times. My problem is that I am spread so thin that I can race maybe once a month, so my support is limited. The club racers see how fast the sponsored guys are and go looking for the same stuff, instead of working up to it. What it all amounts to is a bunch of beginners in over their heads that leave the hobby after a year or so.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
When I said chassis of the week, I meant that this week they are running Tamiya. Next week will be Xray and the one after that will be TC4.5 if you catch my drift. These guys could give a rats ass about Tamiya or TCS. We probably have the second largest collection of factory drivers next to California here in Detroit. The sponsored drivers have a tremendous amount of influence over the club racers. I run my Tamiya chassis' year round , and they are TCS legal at all times. My problem is that I am spread so thin that I can race maybe once a month, so my support is limited. The club racers see how fast the sponsored guys are and go looking for the same stuff, instead of working up to it. What it all amounts to is a bunch of beginners in over their heads that leave the hobby after a year or so.
You might need to eventually find a new track. I have seen this happen to quite a few tracks, usually the result is the doors close, if the track cannot keep new drivers. The factory drivers are not going to buy stuff that the hobbyshop needs to stay in business. The FDs usually sell their free stuff which further takes sales and money away from the shop at the trackside. I bet the FDs are even running stock which is another pet peeve of mine, further pushing any hope of a new driver out of the window.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Fortunately most of the crowd that plays that game have gone over to Josh Cyruls track. Larrys, the host of 3 or 4 TCS events is going more back to the hobby type racing instead of the hardcore racers, although he didnt have a great experience as a TCS host so I doubt that he would be a venue on the TCS schedule. We are trying to get a 103GT class going there and there are quite a few guys running 415's there. I think they also have a pretty strong mini class going these days.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

I am glad that Larry's is still going with TCS types of classes.

Larry's last TCS event was a zoo. Since I was driving in a smaller car to Larrys I had to pick and choose what to bring. When doors opened, I was there setting up at the carpet track, my wife left for the rest of the day to visit friends. About 1/2 hour into practice, Chris came over to tell me that the location had moved, and that is where everybody was. I had no ride, no extra tires, Larry had no tires, I had to finish off my day with a GT1 & F103 cars that were perfect for carpet with no certain terms for the next days surface. Plus not to have 1 day to prep the cars like many of the others had really put me behind come Sunday. I did get lucky and got my GT1 to work, still was scratching my head on the F103, which it was about tires I did not have. I had heard Larry called around Friday night, I never got a call and by that time I was on the road so it wouldnt have mattered.

If Larry decided to do another TCS again, I might be tempted to come. Although I would want location set in stone and not have a change 2 days before the race.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

All dates aside, has anyone heard anything about locations for next year?

Our TCS "master" down here is throwing in the towel and selling everything. I'd like to have some firm SE TCS locations identified that I can tease him with to try and convince him to keep a few Tamiya cars.

It's a dark day for Tamiya for sure if he sells out.

Now more than ever we need some intell on next year!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

I wouldnt say that Larry is reverting back to TCS classes, but its better than its been in a long time. As a matter of fact, I heard that if the race turnouts dont pick up, Larry might shut the track down, I would think that he would keep the store open, just not have a track. That would be a serious hit to my local racing activities, so if there is anyone in the Detroit area looking to do some racing, Larrys is your spot. By the way, the last TCS race he held was a mess, but we were all caught out. I got the call from Gary Demory on Friday night, but much like you, both my cars were set up for carpet, and we had been practicing there for weeks before hand. I got lucky with my F1 car and was fairly dominant all day until I lifted too much in the sweeper with a minute to go and handed the win to Dave Weir. Still recovered for second, but it sucks to lead for 4 minutes and give it away. Oh well, there will be others.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bill-
Sure do hope you aren't talking about Mike
Later
Doc
Old 10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Old 10-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr

Sure do hope you aren't talking about Mike

Yep, he's got Z-car on the brain or something like that!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
All dates aside, has anyone heard anything about locations for next year?

Our TCS "master" down here is throwing in the towel and selling everything. I'd like to have some firm SE TCS locations identified that I can tease him with to try and convince him to keep a few Tamiya cars.

It's a dark day for Tamiya for sure if he sells out.

Now more than ever we need some intell on next year!
I know that we would love to host a TCS race again here in Memphis. We have started up a mini class since the 06 TCS race and have a good turnout and a blast with those cars, but have yet to find anything out about the schedule for next year.....wish I could tell you more Bill.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yep, he's got Z-car on the brain or something like that!
You mean as in 350-Z, or Mini-Z?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.