Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-06-2006, 10:34 PM
  #4156  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MD
I have heard that the F103gt is part of the Canadian TCS. Has anyone else heard that?
They still run the Lemans which is a variant of the F103 chassis. I thought they might have ran the F103gt but not sure. Here is their home site for Canada. . . http://www.tamiya.ca/tcs%202006%20recap.htm
A-Ko is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 AM
  #4157  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

I got the information about F103gt in the Canadian TCS from boystoys.ca. They sent me sn email announcing that they arre selling the 1/16 Tamtech cars, the F350high lift, and the F103gt. And then, they added that the F103gt would be an official class for the Canadian TCS. This store sells on Ebay and who knows if they are accurate.
I also ran in a GT3 class this summer. It's a grreat class with a lot of tight raing.
MD is offline  
Old 10-08-2006, 04:48 PM
  #4158  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (5)
 
SpeedTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 6,028
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Hi Guys,

I want to post this here before posting it at the for sale forum. Looking to sell my personal TA05 (Same one I ran at the TCS Nationals in GT-2 class). Basically the car was built for TCS racing and only been through two races (TCS Regionals in July and the nats). Please PM me with your offer or if you're interested in a list of hop-ups that's on the car. Perfectly TCS legal and capable

Thanks for reading

Steve Wang
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-dscn5977.jpg  
SpeedTech is offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
  #4159  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I think its funny to hear statements that sum up if Tamiya does not add another race in my area I am selling everything after the schedule is announced. Like that will effect anything, . . . get real.

Many tracks have a policy if you show up with 3 or more cars (some cases 2) you can create a new class. I would think if you were so into Tamiya racing you would have tried this instead of slamming Tamiya for not adding another race in your area. In my area I have talked to tracks about supporting a TCS race, TCS classes and helping those that buy Tamiyas.

Over the summer I was excited to run GT3 class (with a TCS legal car) that was open to any non-Tamiya chassis. In the winter I am hoping to run GT3, mini and maybe another class. I do plan on encouraging and trying to stimulate the "Tamiya" racing in my area by running in it.

I really don't like driving about 2 hours to Wis, 5 hours to Ohio, 5 hours to Detroit, 10 hours to Memphis, 11 hours to PA, 10 hours to Toronto or a 4 hour flight to Cali just for TCS hockey pucks. Each trip has been done multiple times (except Memphis) and try to make a little vacation out of it.

I enjoy the leveled playing field and trying to rise to the top in TCS racing.

Bottomline is if you want something to work, you have to get more involved in it.
At least get what I posted right before you start bashing... Get real ....

1. I said IF there is ONLY 1 race ON the EAST coast then it doesn't MAKE sense keeping 6 TAMIYA cars that I will only USE ONCE a YEAR. I'd rather sell the cars to some one that will use them rather than have a huge pile of cars and parts that come out once a year.
2. I race local (gas: 1/8th scale Mugen, electric: x-ray T2 and 1/12 scale BMI chassis) and there is not a race series for the Tamiya cars.
3. I have tried to get a F201 class and a mini class going but there is not enough people that would show up every week to race and lugging all the cars and parts around gets real tired real quick.
4. I have 8 on road tracks within 5 hours, 14 Tenn. and 12 hour Cinn drives each way and the $$$$ for 2 qualifiers and 1 main just doesn't appeal to me.
I'd rather take that $$$ and go to the birds, vegas or one of those events.
5. As much as I like the TCS, once a year is not enough reason to keep all these cars and parts.....

That is my opinion....
Nova F1 Racer is offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM
  #4160  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
At least get what I posted right before you start bashing... Get real ....

1. I said IF there is ONLY 1 race ON the EAST coast then it doesn't MAKE sense keeping 6 TAMIYA cars that I will only USE ONCE a YEAR. I'd rather sell the cars to some one that will use them rather than have a huge pile of cars and parts that come out once a year.
2. I race local (gas: 1/8th scale Mugen, electric: x-ray T2 and 1/12 scale BMI chassis) and there is not a race series for the Tamiya cars.
3. I have tried to get a F201 class and a mini class going but there is not enough people that would show up every week to race and lugging all the cars and parts around gets real tired real quick.
4. I have 8 on road tracks within 5 hours, 14 Tenn. and 12 hour Cinn drives each way and the $$$$ for 2 qualifiers and 1 main just doesn't appeal to me.
I'd rather take that $$$ and go to the birds, vegas or one of those events.
5. As much as I like the TCS, once a year is not enough reason to keep all these cars and parts.....

That is my opinion....
Since you went through all the throws of getting classes going maybe keep the Mini or Minis and sell the rest. If you have your minis setup well they are not alot of trouble to throw and go. F201 has been dead for a while the TL01 and TT01 could be a headache to compete locally.

With your profits from selling cars I would consider getting a TA05/05R and/or finding a deal on a 415. I have been hearing about $200 deals on ebay for the 415. Both cars are competitive locally depending on your flavor and you can have something for once a year at TCS. I still run my 6 year old TA04 locally next to my TA05.

just my 2 cents. . .
A-Ko is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 03:59 AM
  #4161  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Since you went through all the throws of getting classes going maybe keep the Mini or Minis and sell the rest. If you have your minis setup well they are not alot of trouble to throw and go. F201 has been dead for a while the TL01 and TT01 could be a headache to compete locally.

With your profits from selling cars I would consider getting a TA05/05R and/or finding a deal on a 415. I have been hearing about $200 deals on ebay for the 415. Both cars are competitive locally depending on your flavor and you can have something for once a year at TCS. I still run my 6 year old TA04 locally next to my TA05.

just my 2 cents. . .
I think my X-ray is a class about the 415 and TA05. I will keep my home-made 4 wheel mini and the Eagle F201.... Can't run them in the TCS but I like these cars....
Nova F1 Racer is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 AM
  #4162  
Tech Master
iTrader: (52)
 
Hawk6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Freeport, IL
Posts: 1,578
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
5. As much as I like the TCS, once a year is not enough reason to keep all these cars and parts.....

That is my opinion....
Wouldn't it be in Tamiya's best interest (meaning more car kit and parts sales) to have more TCS races every year, like 20 or 30 or 40 in the U.S.? I know there is a cost involved, but you gotta spend money to make money, right?

Or, maybe Tamiya should encourage (maybe supply 5 kits as prizes for each event) local tracks to run un-official, or "pre-season", or "warm-up" TCS races? These races wouldn't "count" toward qualifying for the national event (or maybe they could, I don't care), only the major regional races would.

In my opinion, this would give all of us Tamiya racers who don't venture to California every year more reasons to keep our Tamiya cars. It may even give us a reason to go out and buy a F103GT kit. It looks like a cool car, but right now I have no place to race one.

Just my opinion. Whaccha think??
Hawk6 is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
  #4163  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hawk6
Wouldn't it be in Tamiya's best interest (meaning more car kit and parts sales) to have more TCS races every year, like 20 or 30 or 40 in the U.S.? I know there is a cost involved, but you gotta spend money to make money, right?

Or, maybe Tamiya should encourage (maybe supply 5 kits as prizes for each event) local tracks to run un-official, or "pre-season", or "warm-up" TCS races? These races wouldn't "count" toward qualifying for the national event (or maybe they could, I don't care), only the major regional races would.

In my opinion, this would give all of us Tamiya racers who don't venture to California every year more reasons to keep our Tamiya cars. It may even give us a reason to go out and buy a F103GT kit. It looks like a cool car, but right now I have no place to race one.

Just my opinion. Whaccha think??
More races so that people around the country at different tracks would get more people to buy Tamiya kits and race. More prizes would not be the answer, more available events that people could attend would.

Then again how many tracks want to host a TCS race?
Nova F1 Racer is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
  #4164  
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

What if a group of racers in a region got together and asked the Local track to run a class based on TCS rules?

I know almost all tracks will make a class if there is a group of say 8 or more willing to race as it is in there best interest to have more people racing.

I know there are several other places around the country where they run TCS rules years round for certain classes. Roar is basically a rules book so for those running Tamiya cars why not adapt the same rules you will be using in the regional or national races? They promote the car you want to run and they keep costs down so it's a win win.
MrBlack is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 AM
  #4165  
Tech Master
iTrader: (52)
 
Hawk6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Freeport, IL
Posts: 1,578
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Running a silver can class during the weekly club race is fine. If I had a place close enough to race weekly, I'd do it.

I guess what I was throwing out there was adding more "special" races that feel like an event worth buying a car for. Or at least marking it on your calendar and having it to look forward to.

I'm relatively close to Trackside in Milwaukee, so I'll use them as an example. If Scotty announced that they'll be running a TCS event (either sanctioned by Tamiya or not, I don't care) once every 4 months: official TCS race in March, un-official races in July and November, AND F103GT will be a class, I'd probably run out and buy an F103GT.

Let the track owners charge $20 a car for the unsanctioned events, that's fine with me.

I don't need a new kit for a prize (I probably won't win anyway). I'm just looking for a big race to look forward to every few months.

I guess I'm a fan of "major" races that anyone can race at. My son and I raced the TCS event at Trackside in March and had a blast. Racing against 3 other silver cans at the weekly club race isn't the same. I want to race againt 15 other GT3 cars and want my son to race against 15 other spec class cars and see if we can make it into the A Main.

I know the local Trackside guys say " we'll race Tamiya rules weekly before the TCS" and that's great. Like I said, I guess what I'm looking for is the bigger events that a hack like me can go to and compete in.

Thanks for listening.
Hawk6 is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 08:42 PM
  #4166  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hawk6
Running a silver can class during the weekly club race is fine. If I had a place close enough to race weekly, I'd do it.

I guess what I was throwing out there was adding more "special" races that feel like an event worth buying a car for. Or at least marking it on your calendar and having it to look forward to.

I'm relatively close to Trackside in Milwaukee, so I'll use them as an example. If Scotty announced that they'll be running a TCS event (either sanctioned by Tamiya or not, I don't care) once every 4 months: official TCS race in March, un-official races in July and November, AND F103GT will be a class, I'd probably run out and buy an F103GT.

Let the track owners charge $20 a car for the unsanctioned events, that's fine with me.

I don't need a new kit for a prize (I probably won't win anyway). I'm just looking for a big race to look forward to every few months.

I guess I'm a fan of "major" races that anyone can race at. My son and I raced the TCS event at Trackside in March and had a blast. Racing against 3 other silver cans at the weekly club race isn't the same. I want to race againt 15 other GT3 cars and want my son to race against 15 other spec class cars and see if we can make it into the A Main.

I know the local Trackside guys say " we'll race Tamiya rules weekly before the TCS" and that's great. Like I said, I guess what I'm looking for is the bigger events that a hack like me can go to and compete in.

Thanks for listening.
In the early TCS years each track got to host 2 races. Then Tamiya felt it served their best interest to spread the wealth, grow the series, get more tracks involved which resulted in Tamiya only supporting 1 race a year per track. The result is the dead-spot we are in now with about the same number of tracks since the inception of the series.

I feel the same way. Unfortunately tracks do not want to support a Tamiya only race without the Tamiya banner. I would be even willing to pay $20 to race at a time opposite of their normal road-course time.

To replay an old record; "tracks will usually allow a class to form if 3 or more show up to race."

Welcome to TCS racing
A-Ko is offline  
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 PM
  #4167  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

Most tracks are looking to expand the number classes that they can run. If you like the TCS format, and you have 3 drivers that want to run a silver can class for touring cars most tracks wil do it. If you want to run a f103gt class or a class for two-wheel-drive touring cars, I am betting most tracks will do it if you have at least three drivers. Sometimes drivers can take the leadership and get something started.
MD is offline  
Old 10-12-2006, 03:41 AM
  #4168  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hawk6
Running a silver can class during the weekly club race is fine. If I had a place close enough to race weekly, I'd do it.

I guess what I was throwing out there was adding more "special" races that feel like an event worth buying a car for. Or at least marking it on your calendar and having it to look forward to.

I'm relatively close to Trackside in Milwaukee, so I'll use them as an example. If Scotty announced that they'll be running a TCS event (either sanctioned by Tamiya or not, I don't care) once every 4 months: official TCS race in March, un-official races in July and November, AND F103GT will be a class, I'd probably run out and buy an F103GT.

Let the track owners charge $20 a car for the unsanctioned events, that's fine with me.

I don't need a new kit for a prize (I probably won't win anyway). I'm just looking for a big race to look forward to every few months.

I guess I'm a fan of "major" races that anyone can race at. My son and I raced the TCS event at Trackside in March and had a blast. Racing against 3 other silver cans at the weekly club race isn't the same. I want to race againt 15 other GT3 cars and want my son to race against 15 other spec class cars and see if we can make it into the A Main.

I know the local Trackside guys say " we'll race Tamiya rules weekly before the TCS" and that's great. Like I said, I guess what I'm looking for is the bigger events that a hack like me can go to and compete in.

Thanks for listening.
No, thank you for posting this.. This is exactly what I was trying to say/write...
Nova F1 Racer is offline  
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 AM
  #4169  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Getting something going and keeping something going are 2 different things. The problem with Tamiya, at least here in Detroit is that we are a "chassis of the week" society. There are alot of drivers running 415's and TA05's, but I guarantee you that 6 months from now they will be onto something else. Somehow we managed to keep our F201 class going for 4 years, next season we will run a LeMans class with 103GT's. Hopefully Tamiya supports and develops the class.
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 10-12-2006, 10:34 AM
  #4170  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Well, depends on the tracks though too. Some tracks may not want to add these "TCS Classes" on a normal race night because they're worried that they will get out too late. A mid-week race program that starts at 7 is hard pressed to finish 2 rounds and a main before 11pm.

Another challenge is not only getting the LHS owner behind a new class, but getting the employees behind it too. It's tough to get a GT3 class going when the "kids" working behind the counter think it's lame and tell the people who come into the shop as much and point them towards the 19T or Mod motors. We tried to do something unique with F201's at one point...5 minute qualifying session like REAL F1...single fastest lap. Didn't matter if you turned 1 lap or 20 laps, it was your single fastest that would count. No support. Now, this was trying to resurrect a class that, on a weekly (and weakly) basis, was dead. People need to be willing to embrace change. Look at the resurrection in Off Road over the last couple years. Why is this happening? 3 reasons:
1) Tires that last more than 1-5 runs
2) Brushless motor technology
3) LiPo Battery Technology

On-road has been slow to accept new technology and change. I think that's why we're seeing a decline in all on-road classes across the country. Also, not to bash Tamiya or anyone in particular here, but the series isn't what it once was. Having Sponsored drivers in the series isn't in the spirit of how the series was originally created. I know a guy who used to get parts support from Traxxas back when the Blue Eagle LS just came out. They basically replaced anything he broke. He was not a member of a traveling team, but he was prevented by the race director from competing in a TCS event back around 97 or 98. It's the only time I've ever seen anyone be told "Sorry, you can't race". Now we have guys getting all sorts of help, being associated with manufacturers, and the only limit is "Well, you can't be a member of the traveling team and you have to run GT1". Since allowing more and more driver support in the series, has anyone else noticed a decline in the Sportsman class? Or even just the net turnout at the events? Yes, Aliso, Trackside, and it appears SIR will have killer turnouts. But these are also awesome facilities and (In Trackside's case) has one of the best race directors in the world.

Sorry to get off on a rant, but I haven't in a while so you could say I was due
RCGaryK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.