Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Difuser
Gary I think it also has to do with the amount of entries. Look at the Aliso regional for that one. We are indoor so that takes some of it out of the equation. From a practice side the Hicks flew in Friday mid-day to PM and I think got a pack on the track and pits set-up.Practice on Saturday and raced Sunday. If the schedule goes 2-day then we would prolly look at quals starting around noon-1 so that people would get plenty of practice Sat AM still be done at a decent time for a bit of PM practice. Run A's on Sunday starting around 10-11 again giving about 3hrs practice. We open SIR at 7 on TCS weekend so that people can get practice and relax before all the stress starts .
Dan,
Great News on the 2 day event and Congragulations!!! a couple of ?'s 1.)would there still be a club race on that Friday? 2.) How many rounds of Quali's would there be? I will be sorting out my F103GT this fall and winter and was thinking on running it for your race? I think this is the "Car of Tomorrow" for Tamiya it looks like it has great potential? Bruce and I did fly in on that Friday just afternoon and did get good practice in that day and evening because you guys stay open late and then practiced all day on saturday. Maybe you guys can do 3 rounds of Quali on the Sat and 4th round on Sunday and the Mains just like the Nats? that would be awesome.
No matter what the final outcome is Bruce and I will be there.
Looking forward to racing with you guys!
Steve.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Marty,

Well said. My son and I run Tamiya Cars exclusively, I always run our cars in TCS legal setups (except for Tires) at all club races, the Sizzler, New years Day and the Huricane series. I don't understand why people who run the TCS series don't run their cars all the time. There are always a bunch of guys running 415's and TA05's all the time at Trackside.

Those that think Scotty is not a big Tamiya supporter or does not think the TCS race is important to Scotty are mistaken. He treats the race the same way as all his other races. Don't forget he lets us use the track for 2 days without charging a single penny for race fees.

It always seems that the people that complain the most are those that are the least willing to change their ways.

I have said it before to Jeff and I will say it again, Come out and race your Tamiya car on other race days, If you start showing up regularly I am sure others will show up to run TCS rules as well, 3 cars are a class. Scotty is more than willing to add a class is people show up.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hickmeister
Dan,
Great News on the 2 day event and Congragulations!!! a couple of ?'s 1.)would there still be a club race on that Friday? 2.) How many rounds of Quali's would there be? I will be sorting out my F103GT this fall and winter and was thinking on running it for your race? I think this is the "Car of Tomorrow" for Tamiya it looks like it has great potential? Bruce and I did fly in on that Friday just afternoon and did get good practice in that day and evening because you guys stay open late and then practiced all day on saturday. Maybe you guys can do 3 rounds of Quali on the Sat and 4th round on Sunday and the Mains just like the Nats? that would be awesome.
No matter what the final outcome is Bruce and I will be there.
Looking forward to racing with you guys!
Steve.
I forgot to mention that "Sir Serle Vander Hinkley" will probably attend if his agent will let him breakaway from a "sponsor commitment in Monaco"
he he he.......
Steve.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

414MPH,

I have seen people shelve their Tamiya cars after Tamiya races quite a bit. No insult towards you just an observation. I am glad you and others keep theirs running even if it is a 414.

As far as regular Trackside racing, well its a bit of a haul for me. Although with my local track closing you might see me a few times before TCS. Not sure I will be running GT1, seems I have been downgrading.

I have seen the touring series, I don't think I can commit to the whole thing, maybe a few. . .?

F1Larry,
Your post seemed pretty insulting. . .
Para#1 - I run mine too & glad you do too.
Para#2 - I have been going to Scotties TCS since his 1st one. He has always done a great job. His focused has changed a little and he has bigger fishing to do. Being a Tamiya race it is always free.
Para#3 - Generalizations like that don't make many friends. . . especially if you are applying it to me! I will race just about anything. Although my pet peeves are foam tires on sedans and open mod. That is why you did not see me last summer at IRP.
Para#4 - I have been parkinglot racing all this summer. Dunno where you have been racing but I have been racing GT3, Stock and Mod.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Remember that Trackside's carpet isn't really a useful tool to get ready for Worlds. Japan has new carpet every year, And no compounds. Oh and they run the track backwards between quals, and Finals, so is changes alot.

Well it may not usefull all the way. but it is very helpful if you want to get to know carpet very well. Besides the IIC where i race run's brand new carpet every year and is pretty loose for 2-3 sessions.

If you don't think if we wouldn't do any better look how well Eric Whippler did when he ran on carpet all season long.

And keith yu will probably have a good chance of winning as well cause he runs on carpet.

Yeah it may not be like Japan but it does help in a way.

PS. If one of us Trackside people win and running at trackside isn't really a useful tool to get ready for Worlds, then what is? Maybe you indoor asphalt seattle boys probably have a better idea as well?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Jeff,

Sorry you felt my post was insulting. It was not meant to be. I do remember talking with you last year during the months leading up to The Trackside race and talking about coming out to IRP or Trackside to run TCS classes, both tracks said they would run the class if 3 or more cars wanted to. I know you chose to practice on Saturday's instead, no big deal. For me any racing is better than none (thats just me).

My only gripe in general is that everyone has an opinion what will work best for themselves, but Tamiya needs to do what is best for the Majority or whats best for them as a business. I just don't want Tamiya (Fred) to get fed up with all the moaning and growning and pack up his toys and go home.

I know everyone appreciates what Tamiya and Fred have done but sometimes it comes across as complaining and at some point people can only take so much.

I know that everyone keeps saying the TCS is getting away from what the core origanily started as but I only see it that way from the people on this board. At the Regional level I think the majority still see it as a relaxing fun competition and I feel that is what Scotty tries to keep it as, example Rally on the Dirt track. Most of the people at the regionals know they aren't going to win and have no aspirations to go to Nationals or win a trip to Japan. I think it is the minority at the races that are the hard core big spenders, but that is their choice.

My son and I have a blast every year and will race the TCS races whatever way Tamiya does them. You also have to keep Trackside as an event host as they have done TCS since the begining. Yes Scotty has many other focuses now but I feel that the TCS will always have his support 100% and will treat it as he does any of his other races.

(Disclaimer: This post was not meant to insult anyone if anyone is insulted I apologize in advance, it is just random thoughts that probably did not get typed in correctly)
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

F1 Larry,
I dont think anyone would dispute that Scotty puts on one of if not the best events this side of the Nats. Having gone to the Trackside TCS event since 1998 I can tell you that it is one of the highlights of my season. All I was saying is that remembering back to to early years, Trackside was almost wall to wall floor to ceiling Tamiya. These days it just seems as though the amount of Tamiya product has slowly dwindled and been replaced with all of the other mainstream cars. Maybe the interest in Tamiya has fallen off. I know that Scotty hasto cater to what his customers want , and I know that over time things change, it just doest seem the same to me. Again, I dont think any of these posts were meant to bash Scotty or question his dedication to anything, just casual observations.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Initiate

hay mr hickmiester if you are going to set my 07 itinerary please spell my name right thank you Sarel van der Hinkley
Old 08-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Steve we will have to go through all the details but I would bet we do 3 quals with a 4th on Sunday then triple A's.

As for the Club race on Friday yes we would still do that to help offset the loss of revenue for Sat, Sunday. Yes we make it up in parts sales but we also have to keep our regular non-TCS racing folks happy too. Saturday even with 3 quals there would be plenty of time for practice before and after. Plus the BBQ....mmmmm
Old 08-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Fly Alaska they have a direct from Ontario and it is about $20-60 cheaper than John Wayne.

Now worries on room even the garage is carpeted gotta keep the MINI nice and happy. It keeps the KTM and Kawi happy,there is a menage a trois in the garage every night. Now if I could figure out how to get that to happen in the bedroom.....

I was wondering if I flew out there for the race would there be room on the carpeted garage floor between the KTM and Kawi for me to sleep...haha j/k
Old 08-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

I am sure I can arrange that. But you gotta let me have a fling with Suzi next time I am down......
Old 08-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by f1larry
Jeff,

Sorry you felt my post was insulting. It was not meant to be. I do remember talking with you last year during the months leading up to The Trackside race and talking about coming out to IRP or Trackside to run TCS classes, both tracks said they would run the class if 3 or more cars wanted to. I know you chose to practice on Saturday's instead, no big deal. For me any racing is better than none (thats just me).

My only gripe in general is that everyone has an opinion what will work best for themselves, but Tamiya needs to do what is best for the Majority or whats best for them as a business. I just don't want Tamiya (Fred) to get fed up with all the moaning and growning and pack up his toys and go home.

I know everyone appreciates what Tamiya and Fred have done but sometimes it comes across as complaining and at some point people can only take so much.
Just before Cinci/Trackside races I felt it was better to practice with my TA05, which was brand new and needed some dialing in. Plus having live lap-counting really changes the practice structure.

I am not trying to come across as I know better (but I do... joking) or have what is best for the series, I don't. By communicating on this forum it only plants what is on the hearts of mind of TCSers in a usable vehicle to get to Fred. In talking to Fred, they are short employees and have limited time, he has more new ideas, why not bring them up here. If he adapts to them great, if not I am sure he sorted through the ideas and went with what he and/or Tamiya deems best.

Although what if one of the posts here was something Fred never thought of and he uses it. Its a Win Win for us and Tamiya. . .

F1 Larry,
I dont think anyone would dispute that Scotty puts on one of if not the best events this side of the Nats. Having gone to the Trackside TCS event since 1998 I can tell you that it is one of the highlights of my season. All I was saying is that remembering back to to early years, Trackside was almost wall to wall floor to ceiling Tamiya. These days it just seems as though the amount of Tamiya product has slowly dwindled and been replaced with all of the other mainstream cars. Maybe the interest in Tamiya has fallen off. I know that Scotty hasto cater to what his customers want , and I know that over time things change, it just doest seem the same to me. Again, I dont think any of these posts were meant to bash Scotty or question his dedication to anything, just casual observations.
That is 100% my feelings.... thanks BP!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pic of the Birthday Boy below...and that is Cyril Van der Hinckley in the background in blue!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-jeff-his-24th-birthday.jpg  
Old 08-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I felt the Cincinatti/Trackside back-to-back weekends were more work or a "job".

Tracks that I have been to don't want to entertain the "Toy-Mee-Ah racing. Let alone warm-ups or spec racing. I have tried, they look at you like your on another planet. . . maybe I am
Most local tracks in So Cal will let us run a "Tamiya Spec" class as long as we get 4-5 cars to participate. Usually GT-3 spec as GT-2 or GT-1 spec would be stock or 19T class anyway. We usually use full Tamiya spec except for tires. The key is to get your local drivers to support it. As long as you can fill at least 1/2 a heat, most tracks will let you run a class.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Oh yeah, all Tamiya, all the time. Since I first started racing at a local track three years ago with a TA-02, I have been exclusive Tamiya cars in almost full Tamiya legal spec. The only items I run non-Tamiya at club events are tires and bodies. When I "retire" a car to upgrade, you will not see them on e-bay. I clean them up and replace parts to make them look like brand new kits again and they become my shelf queens. In fact, I am lucky enough to have 6 of them in my office at work and another 11 at home.

As for the TCS series, my last 2 cents........

Lets leave Fred alone for the next two weeks and let him concentrate at having fun "racing" at the KO Propo race in a couple of weekends at Tamiya. Then we can go back to bugging him. (Don't worry Fred, I will get out of your way when you go to lap me for the third or fourth time.)

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 08-31-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.