Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 PM
  #4051  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
minidriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lake Mills, WI
Posts: 932
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rchoudini
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!
Word in from Mr. Fred Medel of Tamiya USA. S.I.R. will have the 2007 N.W. TCS Regional Race on March 17th & 18th. Make your plans to attend. This will be a 2 day event.



On a TCS National note Mr. Doug Papka will once again be your race announcer for the North American Finals in August of 2007.
Now if I can get the wife to say OK, airfare is only $319 RT on NWA (if booking now). I've always wanted to visit you SIR folks, maybe this year I can.
minidriver is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:37 PM
  #4052  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Am I the only one who would prefer to keep TCS races to 1 day, and maintain Saturday for Practice?
I am sorta split on this.

My ideal TCS weekend would be to get up super early Saturday, arrive around 11am, practice all day, Motel Sat night, race Sunday and be home before 11pm. It has happened.

Longer drives like Memphis we left after work on Friday and drove about 6-7 hours, hit a wayward motel, got to the track Sat morn around 11am for practice. Leaving we probably would have either drove part way or all on Monday. Regardless we still have to take Monday off. Actually there were things we wanted to see so we stayed a few extra days. We definately had to hit Lamberts on the way back for the thrown rolls. I don't see every year for us Memphis being a long vacation trip. If Memphis was 2 days I probably would miss going and opt for a Toronto 1 day race instead.

Trackside is fun as a 2 day event, I don't like taking Friday off for claiming pits and practice but it does help settle me down for the weekend. Since it is ran well it gets some of the Big race experiences that the 1 day races don't have.

I wish tracks that held TCS races offered more races or even have a TCS warm-up race. I have mentioned it to Scotty many times. It is almost like I farted and he does not want to notice the stink or indicate he noticed. I was not even indicating a FREE race, mentioned charge admission and race on Sat night. He did not want to offend offroad which only was catering to 12 people. I am not upset with Scotty, it is his business, TCS is just another race and not as important as his other events.

I miss the days when tracks had TCS 2 races a year or even to have a TCS track that is under 45 min would be a dream. I would probably be joining Gary in court if I had a track like SIR close to me. . .
A-Ko is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:43 PM
  #4053  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
I agree with the reason behind it is the amount of entries, and for some races it makes sense to do 2 days. Aliso and Trackside make sense just from the standpoint that they CONSISTENTLY have over 150 entrants and at least 20 heats. It just seems like instead of doing 2 day races, perhaps we need to add more races to the schedule perhaps? That might thin the heard a bit at these races. I am also just afraid that EVERY Regional is going to become a 2-day event. Frankly, I don't want to put that much time, money, or effort into this anymore. I dunno, maybe I've just been in the hobby too long, but I see the TCS series becoming more cuthroat at a local level and don't like it.
Hey Gary, Whod of thunk that we would agree on so many issues. I tend to believe the same thing, that TCS has gotten away from what it started as, an ameteur/hobbiest series to promote the wonderful entity that is Tamiya. These days its almost a professional series that runs Tamiya cars. Guys flying all over the continent to be at every race, its crazy. Im not saying I wouldnt if I could find the means, but at what point does it stop being a hobby and start being a second job. I still think theres room to do TCS racing on a club or local level, that would thin down the regionals , and effectively the Nats. It would be neat to have local qualifiers to qualify for the regionals. You could do once a month local qualifiers, maybe cut the number of regionals by 1 or 2 and keep the Nats as is, maybe being a little more stringent on the qualifying requirements. Just another idea
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:51 PM
  #4054  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
. . .but at what point does it stop being a hobby and start being a second job. I still think theres room to do TCS racing on a club or local level, that would thin down the regionals , and effectively the Nats. It would be neat to have local qualifiers to qualify for the regionals. . .
I felt the Cincinatti/Trackside back-to-back weekends were more work or a "job".

Tracks that I have been to don't want to entertain the "Toy-Mee-Ah racing. Let alone warm-ups or spec racing. I have tried, they look at you like your on another planet. . . maybe I am
A-Ko is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:53 PM
  #4055  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I am sorta split on this.

Trackside is fun as a 2 day event, I don't like taking Friday off for claiming pits and practice but it does help settle me down for the weekend. Since it is ran well it gets some of the Big race experiences that the 1 day races don't have.

I wish tracks that held TCS races offered more races or even have a TCS warm-up race. I have mentioned it to Scotty many times. It is almost like I farted and he does not want to notice the stink or indicate he noticed. I was not even indicating a FREE race, mentioned charge admission and race on Sat night. He did not want to offend offroad which only was catering to 12 people. I am not upset with Scotty, it is his business, TCS is just another race and not as important as his other events.

I miss the days when tracks had TCS 2 races a year or even to have a TCS track that is under 45 min would be a dream. I would probably be joining Gary in court if I had a track like SIR close to me. . .
Hey Jeff,
I hear ya on the Scotty thing, and I dont want this to turn into a Scotty bash cause I love the guy and like racing at his place, but I wonder if Scotty would be as big without Tamiya and TCS. He is still very hospitable when we go up there, but Trackside these days is more of a machine. Again I still like racing there and he puts on a hell of an event. I just wonder if Trackside has outgrown Tamiiya and the TCS. I wish we could get a Detroit date going again, but we cant draw the crowd like the other venues. Even Chicago would be good , 4-4 1/2 Hours away awsome. Cinci is good too I guess I am just greedy
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
  #4056  
Tech Master
iTrader: (52)
 
Hawk6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Freeport, IL
Posts: 1,578
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

As a rookie TCS-er (Trackside this year was my first TCS race), I agree with the idea of multiple TCS races or non-sanctioned TCS class racing.

The rally class looked like a blast at Trackside, but for all the money we all p*** away in this hobby, I still can't bring myself to buy two rally cars (I race with my son) that we will use one weekend a year. But, if Scotty announced one rally race every other month, I bet he and Tamiya would sell a small bundle of rally cars.

Same with other silver can classes. It would be great if my son could run his TL01 throughout the year, but like A-ko said, it's in mothballs most of the time.

If Trackside has their TCS race in March 2007, I would be thrilled if they had un-official warm-up TCS events in say July and December. Go ahead charge me $15 a car or whatever. It would give us all a chance to race our Tamiya cars (and buy replacement parts) all year long rather than sell our Tamiyas to each other on E-Bay 8 months out of the year.

It's a thrill to be able to spend a day or two racing with your son at a "big race" (versus just another club race weekend). I'm never going to be the next Billy Easton, so I'd much rather race my TB-02 at several TCS or TCS type events a year. I'm not going to Vegas for the IIC, or to the Snowbirds, or the Novak Race, etc., just looking to have some fun without dedicating my life to the hobby.

My two cents.
Hawk6 is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:57 PM
  #4057  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I felt the Cincinatti/Trackside back-to-back weekends were more work or a "job".

Tracks that I have been to don't want to entertain the "Toy-Mee-Ah racing. Let alone warm-ups or spec racing. I have tried, they look at you like your on another planet. . . maybe I am
Yeah, and the thing they fail to realize, is if they started everyone out in a Tamiya, alot more people would stay in it. Instead they sell them the TC3 or 4 or a Losi and the next thing you know they have gone through $200 worth of front arms and c hubs and the cars for sale in the front case of the store and the former owner is long gone.
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
  #4058  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Very well put Hawk 6 !!!!
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:06 PM
  #4059  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Hey Jeff,
I hear ya on the Scotty thing, and I dont want this to turn into a Scotty bash cause I love the guy and like racing at his place, but I wonder if Scotty would be as big without Tamiya and TCS. He is still very hospitable when we go up there, but Trackside these days is more of a machine. Again I still like racing there and he puts on a hell of an event. I just wonder if Trackside has outgrown Tamiiya and the TCS. I wish we could get a Detroit date going again, but we cant draw the crowd like the other venues. Even Chicago would be good , 4-4 1/2 Hours away awsome. Cinci is good too I guess I am just greedy
Hi Brad,
Not trying to bash Scotty. I have been working on him the past 4 or 5 years, well every time I go there to race, which is not very often. Now I don't even bother to mention it. I think you are right on your assumption, he has outgrown Tamiya in a sense and Trackside is more of a machine. He is probably is the best darn race promoter and organizer in the business. He has to go where the money is.

I don't think it is greedy to have more TCS races to goto. Chicago having one is getting more remote, we just lost our best chance in Dekalb, IRP closed.

If you live in Detroit you are only about 4 hours from Toronto TCS. . . They even still run LeMans and Rally cars. Their rules are a little more strict and try to lessen the money pit of TCS racing. It is also paid admission, some raffle prizes and Trophies for the winners.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
  #4060  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, I mean Scotty is in business to make money, and lets face it Tamiya racers are kind of a pain in the ass ( myself included). But as someone posted earlier , we are like a big family . You have to really piss someone off at a TCS race to not be welcome. I think what we are seeing is Trackside growing bigger and Tamiya is a very small piece of it. Im sure Scotty will continue to be one of the venues , but he has too many other irons in the fire to be die hard about it like he did back in the day.
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:19 PM
  #4061  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hawk6
As a rookie TCS-er (Trackside this year was my first TCS race), I agree with the idea of multiple TCS races or non-sanctioned TCS class racing.

The rally class looked like a blast at Trackside, but for all the money we all p*** away in this hobby, I still can't bring myself to buy two rally cars (I race with my son) that we will use one weekend a year. But, if Scotty announced one rally race every other month, I bet he and Tamiya would sell a small bundle of rally cars.

Same with other silver can classes. It would be great if my son could run his TL01 throughout the year, but like A-ko said, it's in mothballs most of the time.

If Trackside has their TCS race in March 2007, I would be thrilled if they had un-official warm-up TCS events in say July and December. Go ahead charge me $15 a car or whatever. It would give us all a chance to race our Tamiya cars (and buy replacement parts) all year long rather than sell our Tamiyas to each other on E-Bay 8 months out of the year.

It's a thrill to be able to spend a day or two racing with your son at a "big race" (versus just another club race weekend). I'm never going to be the next Billy Easton, so I'd much rather race my TB-02 at several TCS or TCS type events a year. I'm not going to Vegas for the IIC, or to the Snowbirds, or the Novak Race, etc., just looking to have some fun without dedicating my life to the hobby.

My two cents.
Hi Hawk,

I always think one day I will hit "Vegas for the IIC, or to the Snowbirds, or the Novak Race, etc." I seem to keep having fun with TCS and don't have to worry about being blown away by factory drivers.

I deleted it from my previous post;
Usually locally guys blow the dust off their cars or buy new ones for 1 race. When the race is over they go back onto mothballs or straight to Ebay. I even saw this with a few guys from the Nationals, straight to ebay. I don't see the logic probably because I like to drive my cars year round.

The bright side is Hobbytown USA in St Charles Illinois has 2 more races in September. They offer many classes including a TCS GT3 class, stock sedan and mod sedan. Might be an option for you and your son? Usually they race Sat. registration closes at 11am, 2 rounds and a main. Very big track, efficiently ran and amb scoring.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:22 PM
  #4062  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Yeah, I mean Scotty is in business to make money, and lets face it Tamiya racers are kind of a pain in the ass ( myself included). But as someone posted earlier , we are like a big family . You have to really piss someone off at a TCS race to not be welcome. I think what we are seeing is Trackside growing bigger and Tamiya is a very small piece of it. Im sure Scotty will continue to be one of the venues , but he has too many other irons in the fire to be die hard about it like he did back in the day.
I think were more like a disfunctional family that would like to race each other more than once or twice a year. . .
A-Ko is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM
  #4063  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

hey look, martys here , hi marty
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 PM
  #4064  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
414MPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 989
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

A-KO, I think if you re-read your post you will see the answer. We start running 19-turn and Tamiay tires in Jan at Trackside every Sunday to "get ready" (rare earth, doc) for the upcoming Tamiya race. If you come on any Sunday with 4 or more for a class, Scotty will run whatever you want. Get yer sub-GT-1 guys together and run on Sunday for your warm-up tuning races. You can't run a warm-up if you are not here.

I take offense at "Usually locally guys blow the dust off their cars or buy new ones for 1 race." I have run a Tamiya 4WD sedan steady (every week) since I bought my 414X and my 414M after that. If you remember, the 414M was not TCS legal for quite a while. I then ran my EVO III or 2 plus years at Trackside weekly programs and NEVER missed an A main with it. Tamiya makes a very competitive car now for several years. Do you support Tamiya every time you race? There are MANY 415's that run every week at trackside along with a few TA-05's. I'll sell you my 415 with lots of extras for a very affordable price if you want.

Stop wishing and start running!

Jeff, It is allways good to see you at Trackside any time and I hope you allways feel welcome. If the Detroit guys want to come for a warm-up any Sunday, I think we (Trackside) can accomadate you. Saturdays are open practise at Trackside this season except for the couple of Hurricain and WTCS races. Have you thought about running the Wisconsin Touring Car Series? www.wisconsinrctouringcarseries.com ? It could be a GREAT warm-up for TCS as we are running both stock and 19-turns, and by the way, HAPPY 24th BIRTHDAY today Jeff.

Marty
www.wisconsinrctouringcarseries.com
414MPH is offline  
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 PM
  #4065  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Hey Marty,
I hear ya loud and clear. I too run exclusively Tamiya for a number of reasons. Thanks for the invite, but 6+ Hours of driving each way is too much to go club racing. I mean we like racing with yous guys, but thats out of control. I see you upheld the honor of the 414 at Nats, nice goin I have an M2 that I am getting ready to clean up and Ebay. I am however building one with the silver chassis and lightweight bulkheads, I dont know if I will ever race it, but it will look cool.
BP SHADOW is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.