Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Fred,
I think your idea of a National Ranking system is a great idea, as you know I travel to all the TCS venues around the country. I believe it would help seed the heats better and and why not keep a TCS POINTS SYSTEM just like the FIA F1 system 10pts for 1st, 8pts for 2nd, 7pts for 3rd etc... this could be kept throughout the 2007 season and it could be posted on your Tamiya website and then Tamiya could give awards based on the entire season in lue of giving a trip to Japan based on just "ONE RACE" I would think this would get more people to travel to more races and increase business at the facility that is holding the race! This would put the TCS more in line with the F1 World Driving Championship??

I was just thinking out loud, by the way a Tamiya Spec 19T and Stock motor idea would be a great idea. After all this is the "Tamiya Championship Series" why not require Tamiya Motors. Certain Bodies would be neat for individual classes and spec tires would also be great, how about getting Tamiya to offer a TCS SPEC TIRE i.e. B3 already mounted and glued in a box and A's the same way that could be purchased for the series??

You and your crew did a fantastic job this year and I am looking forward to the new rules and dates for the venues for 2007.

Steve.
"RACING TCS SINCE 1993"
Old 08-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Lots of good ideas to control cost out there. Remember that part of the racing series is to help out the regional race owners, but having spec everything makes it very difficult for a casual racer to want to attend a race or two and then put everything on the shelf until next year. That concept doomed the Michigan race after only three years. Tamiya has done a wonderful job as of late to bring out cars that are competitive against all the others. The TA05 and MSX cars are right up there with the best. However, when running local events, the Tamiya tires come off as they are nowhere close to takeoffs, RP, etc. One carpet, Tamiya has a spec tire with the Type-As. Haven't run the Tamiya motors (other than closed endbells). I agree the earlier the rules are posted the better.

As for mini and big motors, I have run 14T mod motors in a M03 before. Is pretty crazy in terms of straight speed, but murder on the tires and gears. The M04M on carpet with the Black can is almost undriveable. Stick with what works - silver cans.

Fred, What ever you come up with will be fun to race.

Erik
Old 08-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Fred-
As always, we appreciate your work and willingness to try out new stuff from time to time. I thought the spec motors and batteries worked well, although I'd like to see a return to the silver cans for Mini. In my opinion the black motors are just too torquey for the Mini chassis and tires. I burned up three complete sets last weekend- down to the casings! And the gearing difference between the M04 and M03 was nicely dealt with through track design, so maybe we can just toss everyone in the same bucket next year instead of having huge FWD classes and three or four RWD cars at the Regionals.
I was also going through mini tires more this year, in the rear it was right through the casing on the inner edge. Why doesn't Tamiya come out with a B3 for Mini - just pour the appropriate rubber in the mold for the A compound slicks?

As for RWD and FWD together, I agree. Separate classes was boring given the RWD turnout. I still think that the class would be equalized if we say max tooth 20 for FWD or RWD. While the RWD says 17, 19, or 21 tooth, we all know that a 20 tooth will work in the 19 hole, especially if you use the hardened alum pinion (which has reduced tooth length).
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

As for bodies, I'm almost tempted to suggest that sedans have any Tamiya body except NSX or Ferrari - those bodies are so overused, it is great to see variety again!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Fred,
Great to hear that you are receptive to the suggestions. although you guys have always listened pretty well. I like all the ideas, but I wonder if going to just 1 19turn is a good thing. I have a few Reedys and a couple of Chameleons. I am not planning on buying anymore motors for a while, and when I do I will probably go brushless. . I know that making GT1 a brushless class probably isnt feasible yet, but I think it would really level the playing field in GT1.The Tamiya 23T is a good motor too, you just need to figure out how to get it to the masses. But I digress. I agree that the rules between regionals and nats should be consistent, it will get TCS back to what it started out as. Also, and here comes the broken record, TCS needs an F1 class, Im not saying to bring back the 201 or even the 103, but TCS isnt TCS without F1. On a similar note, will 103GT be a class next year? If so Im in, that Courage is bitchin, I hope they do more bodies like it.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
No one likes to lose and everyone has an off day once in a while, but 2 of the same incidents in the same day? Garys right, its bad enough having adults in harms way, but to do anything even remotely that stupid in close proximity to children is indescribable. I think that individual should be banned from all TCS events. I sure dont want to deal with someone like that on my days off. I was there for the "incidents" that Gary reffered to and it wasnt pleasant. There was another incident at the nats one year, but it wasnt an act of violence, it was more a textbook case of ignorance Gary you probably remember what I am talking about. Bottom line , you dont like the rules, dont race. The last thing this hobby needs is road rage. Theres only one thing left to say and that would be in my signature, so read, learn it live it
just chill out, guys maybe this guy was aiming at the trash and missed
or it was just a agravating accident plus i think he would have looked where he was throwing it before he threw it
do any of you not think about other points in the story
Old 08-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hpipro321
or it was just a agravating accident plus i think he would have looked where he was throwing it before he threw it
Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Chill out?

You obviousely are friends with the party or do not understand that if this motor hit somebody it could very well end TCS for good.

Tamiya does not take kindly to acts of extreme disrespect and these are the kinds of things that could easily put an end to TCS, Reedy @ Tamiya, KO GP @ Tamiya and even Sat. practice, so to disregard at as no big deal I feel is a bit short sighted.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So apparently in your warped mind safety is not an issue! If it happened once I would call it an accident, but twice in the same day by the same guy? Even if this individual was aiming at the trash , dont you think throwing anything across the pits at TA is stupid, I mean you are packed in pretty tight at this event. No I was not there this year, but the sources of the alleged incident are long time competitors and people I would consider friends and they would not make this up for no reason. We are fortunate that Tamiya is kind enough to put on this series for us, but apparently its not good enough for some, so in keeping with my previous post, if you dont like the rules , dont play the game!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
On a similar note, will 103GT be a class next year? If so Im in, that Courage is bitchin, I hope they do more bodies like it.

Oh yeah. I'll be down next year if that class is at nats.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Chill out?

You obviousely are friends with the party or do not understand that if this motor hit somebody it could very well end TCS for good.

Tamiya does not take kindly to acts of extreme disrespect and these are the kinds of things that could easily put an end to TCS, Reedy @ Tamiya, KO GP @ Tamiya and even Sat. practice, so to disregard at as no big deal I feel is a bit short sighted.
agreed and totally right!

If this individual was short or long on the 20' motor to garbage can shot he would have apologized, picked up his motor and properly disposed of it. Repeating the offense later shows his depth of character or lack there of. . .

Heck I did not want to risk throwing Q-tips 7' for fear of it ricocheting off the rim and taking out a local. You never know it could happen, although I would just blame it on the other Jeff. . .
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

I am sure Fred has this under control and what is said here may or may not be used.

For fantasy racers and for ideas sake what would be cool/fun/exciting way to change the TCS qualifying?

I remember the early years it was something like the top 30 then 20 then 10 and they even combined GT1/GT2 and scored them seperate for the mains.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamMuchMore
when the whole thing was over, someone told me that the guy who threw the black can motor to the track when i was cornering was the guy who threw the motor to my table at the first place which was in the pits.

P.S. I know who you are but for your sake i am not listing your name.

DON'T DO IT AGAIN.

KEITH

thanks for reading
You should let Fred know who it is then Keith. Maybe then you'll get the apology you really desrve and a feeble explanation from this driver.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My suggestion for your future race formats.

1. If a national points ranking system can't be used then put check boxes on the entry form for []Novice []Intermediate []Expert then grid the first round of qualifying accordingly.

2. First two rounds are conventional IFMAR starts. Straight up fastest times for 1 single run determines the resort for round 3.

3. Round 3 and 4 you do straight up race starts for qualifying. The best single run from these two heats determines the grids for the mains.

All you need is one solid run w/ ifmar starts then the rest of your weekend will be racing it out with the fast guys for qualifying

ps- I think a triple a main format would be better for Past Champs as well but with all straight up race qualifying. And have better starting grids resort so that I can start from the front atleast 1 race . Another idea for PC is keep it the same way as last week but invert the grid from each round meaning start the first finishers in back with last place at pole
Old 08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just want to say first, Fred...you did a great job with the event. Even though handling was an issue for me all weekend, I still had a good time and i saw some good racing. On the rules, I vote for using the same motor at the regionals as the nationals as well as spec tires and insert with a tire limit. I believe IFMAR is the fairest way of qualifying. Straight-up qualifying always is a slight disadvantage for those who get stuck back in the pack and sometimes starting up front is a disadvantage because guys looking to get up front at the start plow into you. I'd keep everything else the same.

There should be a new rule regarding motor throwers though. Anyone caught throwing a motor gets buried up to his neck and has motors thrown at him. Just a thought

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.