Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
  #3916  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (27)
 
bizkit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 743
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

What was the deal with the amp draw being changed at the race, as opposed to the website saying 2v @ 1.9amps vs. 2v @ 2.?amps ? Seems ike if it was set it should have stayed that way, just my .02 cents
bizkit1 is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
  #3917  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
minidriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lake Mills, WI
Posts: 932
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bizkit1
What was the deal with the amp draw being changed at the race, as opposed to the website saying 2v @ 1.9amps vs. 2v @ 2.?amps ? Seems ike if it was set it should have stayed that way, just my .02 cents

I think Fred discovered that with the "new" black cans it was possible to get them up past 1.9 amps using legitimate break in methods. I know that my motors were 1.60 to 1.88 after short water dip. Mine never exceeded the 1.9 (darn) but 1.88 would have been too close for comfort. (My motor was pulled and tested after winning Mini Main 2, 1.88 amps if I'm reading the paint on the motor correctly (might be 1.68).)
minidriver is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
  #3918  
Tech Master
iTrader: (52)
 
JamesArluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,233
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bizkit1
What was the deal with the amp draw being changed at the race, as opposed to the website saying 2v @ 1.9amps vs. 2v @ 2.?amps ? Seems ike if it was set it should have stayed that way, just my .02 cents
Some of the motors were drawing over 1.9 amps straight out of the package, so Fred raised the limit to 2.3amps. The three times my motors were checked (different motors), they drew 1.99, 1.68, and 1.18A.

-James
JamesArluck is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 03:36 PM
  #3919  
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

So seriousely let me get this straight, somebody got angry enough to throw a potentially lethal projectile, in a crowded public area because they where angry at something that happened during a toy car race at a toy car race track?

If this or anything close to this happens at Tamiya on any Sat. Said individual will be removed from the facilities.
MrBlack is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 04:23 PM
  #3920  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

You got it Cliff. Some asshat tossed a motor not only at another racer in the pits but at cars RACING IN THE MAIN WITH A TRIP TO JAPAN ON THE LINE!!! Just imagine, with the spectators aorund the track, if it would have hit some 8yr old kid!
RCGaryK is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
  #3921  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
Sure, no secrets here

Steve Wang
Are they still on sale ?

BTW - very nice runs from a semi retired racer turned shop owner that got you into the "A". You keep a very busy schedule running Speedtech and helping us racers out. It's nice that you get to come out and play sometimes. Now, about that mono-color body you ran. I thought we discussed that already....... At least it wasn't white with BAR stickers.
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 05:48 PM
  #3922  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

No one likes to lose and everyone has an off day once in a while, but 2 of the same incidents in the same day? Garys right, its bad enough having adults in harms way, but to do anything even remotely that stupid in close proximity to children is indescribable. I think that individual should be banned from all TCS events. I sure dont want to deal with someone like that on my days off. I was there for the "incidents" that Gary reffered to and it wasnt pleasant. There was another incident at the nats one year, but it wasnt an act of violence, it was more a textbook case of ignorance Gary you probably remember what I am talking about. Bottom line , you dont like the rules, dont race. The last thing this hobby needs is road rage. Theres only one thing left to say and that would be in my signature, so read, learn it live it
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM
  #3923  
FMW
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Laguna Niguel
Posts: 844
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Hello Friends,

I hope you all had fun this year. It's pretty much my goal to make this series as fun and exciting as possible while keeping cost and fairness at a level that is as equitable as we possibly can make it. I tried some things this year and for the most part I think it worked out. I heard about the number of the motor that was tossed. Sadly we didn't keep all the motor records to be able to know for sure who that was. From the records we did find the motor in question did not belong to who you think. The person who shall remain nameless did not have the motor in question as that person's motor records were found. This is not to say that they couldn't of chucked a buddy's motor or something like that.
I really wished I knew of this incident right away and that more witnesses were available. Regardless, we will be keeping an eye out now more than ever about these kinds of behaviors. I have been involved in these incidents before and sometimes with people that I have known for years. I can't say enough how that bums me out to have to step in and become that person I don't like to be.
As far as 07 goes I have a list that I completed that has some things I'd like to impliment or change or even add.
I have been toying around with a TCS national ranking system and in 07 I will use it.
Spec batteries will be back for TCS NAF 07. I think that worked out. I know alot of you had false peak issues when you initially charged them, but it was reported to me that after the second or third charge the battery was good to go.
Spec battery and motor collections will be back.
The body rules will be back. I dug seeing all the different bodies.
Recognition for all the mains will be back. I admit I have neglected the lower mains and this is a bad thing on my part.
I think there is a better and more exciting way to qualify. I know James A. likes IFMAR and I understand why alot of people do. It makes sense. I will say this. It doesn't teach new and even vets how to race. I talked to Doug Hay (my hero) Best Industry scoring program on the planet!!!!!!! He said if I design the qualification system, he can put it in the program. Doug P and I talked during the race and he agrees. There's got to be a better way. Let's just say I have all fall and winter to test my theory.
What do you guys think of a TCS spec 19T and Stock motor for regional races? Now before anyone gets all excited I'm just thinking about it. There are pros and cons and I'm eager to here any comments.
I think a spec tire for GT-1 and GT-2 is a good idea and a limit is good too. I am thinking about this as I have read all your pros and cons on this thread.
Congrats to all the winners and I thank everyone for coming out to play. I have a job that very few people get to say they enjoy and I appreciate all your guys business.
FMW is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 PM
  #3924  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Fred, if you're going to spec the motors for regionals, who not use the 23T motors for GT1??? They're durable, they make great power, and, if the whole reason for running 23T and Black cans at nationals is to get guys ready in case they go to Japan, wouldn't it make sense to do this at the regional level?

Spec motor and battery connectors at regionals and nats or just nats?

Again, a lot of these things that are started at the Nats can trickle down to regionals. Why not do the body rule for Nats too?
RCGaryK is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:55 PM
  #3925  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the update fred.

I hope you can keep checking in from time to time on this thread for ideas as well as updates for the rules and schedule for next year.

You might want to add an addendum to the rules about professional behavior and things that are detrimental to the hobby and the consequences. . .

On the Schedule even if you get a partial one or just one date so far, post it. It makes our lives easier to know when our favorite race dates are coming up. Usually the earlier the better.

As far as IFMAR the ball is in your court. Whatever you decide to run I am game. I am up for trying something new and fun. IFMAR is everywhere and to me is a little old. The new scoring was confusing at first but I think it made the event more exciting opening up more chances or possibilities once it was understood.

Keep up the excellent work and already looking forward to 2007.

Jeff
A-Ko is offline  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:59 PM
  #3926  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Spec motor and battery connectors at regionals and nats or just nats?
I only read collections not connections.

I don't think we want the connectors back. They were baaaad when we did have them in the early years and don't last long.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 12:11 AM
  #3927  
AWK
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
AWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,021
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I think that this years rules were awesome because it helped the costs come down a lot!

I would like to see a spec tire and tire limit added to the battery and motor rules. I would also really like to see TCS regional races run Tamiya motors. I have never used the Tamiya 19T, but I wouldn't mind it.

I also wouldn't mind seeing running the same motor and battery rules for nats and regionals....but i understand why you couldn't. But something similar?

What were you thinking for a spec motor? B3's? Would you control the inserts and wheels? Would they be premounted?
AWK is offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 AM
  #3928  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Secret Underground Laboratory
Posts: 2,353
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Fred-
As always, we appreciate your work and willingness to try out new stuff from time to time. I thought the spec motors and batteries worked well, although I'd like to see a return to the silver cans for Mini. In my opinion the black motors are just too torquey for the Mini chassis and tires. I burned up three complete sets last weekend- down to the casings! And the gearing difference between the M04 and M03 was nicely dealt with through track design, so maybe we can just toss everyone in the same bucket next year instead of having huge FWD classes and three or four RWD cars at the Regionals.

Using the same motor & body rules at the Regional level as at the Nats also makes sense, since it will prepare racers for the Nats & Japan. On the other hand, that would probably limit participation by those who attend only one Regional event & have no intention of going to the Nats, and might not want to invest in a motor and/or battery that for most people would not be used at the local club level.

Fast laps? Seeding? A nationwide ranking system based on finishing order at the Regional level? All things to consider.

And like Jeff said (Happy Birthday, Jeff!), the sooner we know about ANY of the Regional dates, the more likely you will see out-of-town participation. Airline tickets, rental cars and hotels just get more expensive every day and the longer lead time we have the better.

Once again, THANKS!
Later
Doc
rccardr is offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 AM
  #3929  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
J.Gonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: connecticut
Posts: 2,480
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Fred,

The possible changes sound great.

I would agree with Doc...it is critical to have the schedule and rules posted as soon as possible to plan travel and purchases etc.

I think control tires /tire limit is critical. Tire limits would control the overall cost of tcs weekend.

I always have fun at tcs races and I plan on attending more regional races this year. With the potential rules changes maybe even the nats.

Look out....lol.

Jamie Gonzalez
J.Gonzalez is offline  
Old 08-25-2006, 05:10 AM
  #3930  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Leester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wrong Planet
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FMW
Hello Friends,

I hope you all had fun this year. It's pretty much my goal to make this series as fun and exciting as possible while keeping cost and fairness at a level that is as equitable as we possibly can make it. I tried some things this year and for the most part I think it worked out. I heard about the number of the motor that was tossed. Sadly we didn't keep all the motor records to be able to know for sure who that was. From the records we did find the motor in question did not belong to who you think. The person who shall remain nameless did not have the motor in question as that person's motor records were found. This is not to say that they couldn't of chucked a buddy's motor or something like that.
I really wished I knew of this incident right away and that more witnesses were available. Regardless, we will be keeping an eye out now more than ever about these kinds of behaviors. I have been involved in these incidents before and sometimes with people that I have known for years. I can't say enough how that bums me out to have to step in and become that person I don't like to be.
As far as 07 goes I have a list that I completed that has some things I'd like to impliment or change or even add.
I have been toying around with a TCS national ranking system and in 07 I will use it.
Spec batteries will be back for TCS NAF 07. I think that worked out. I know alot of you had false peak issues when you initially charged them, but it was reported to me that after the second or third charge the battery was good to go.
Spec battery and motor collections will be back.
The body rules will be back. I dug seeing all the different bodies.
Recognition for all the mains will be back. I admit I have neglected the lower mains and this is a bad thing on my part.
I think there is a better and more exciting way to qualify. I know James A. likes IFMAR and I understand why alot of people do. It makes sense. I will say this. It doesn't teach new and even vets how to race. I talked to Doug Hay (my hero) Best Industry scoring program on the planet!!!!!!! He said if I design the qualification system, he can put it in the program. Doug P and I talked during the race and he agrees. There's got to be a better way. Let's just say I have all fall and winter to test my theory.
What do you guys think of a TCS spec 19T and Stock motor for regional races? Now before anyone gets all excited I'm just thinking about it. There are pros and cons and I'm eager to here any comments.
I think a spec tire for GT-1 and GT-2 is a good idea and a limit is good too. I am thinking about this as I have read all your pros and cons on this thread.
Congrats to all the winners and I thank everyone for coming out to play. I have a job that very few people get to say they enjoy and I appreciate all your guys business.

Fred my biggest suggestion for GT-1 would be a spec brush for the 23 turn motor and a spec battery for Gt-1 as well to keep costs down and racing competitve. Hope you can put that in perspective in 2007

-Lee
Leester is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.