Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tomdav
Any news on 2wd? Did everyone like the spec batts?

Porkibear

My first year racing 02 I made the A with a Ta04R with the only hopup being a Oneway. Had two new batts and old 2400 practice packs and used 4 sets of nasty b2's. I also didnt bring any standup brushes for the 23t(now used to power my lathe to this day ) I was way off the pace but got lucky. Now I wouldn't dream of trying that again because of the level of competition. This year I could not justify spending two grand to go to two races but I do miss the TCS.
Tom, hope you come back soon. its not the same seeing the Seattle crew with you missing.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I ve done the big spender thing in the past. New chassis, new cells , multiple motors and umpteen sets of tires. And guess what , never won the deal. Katzer may not like the closed endbell motors for whatever reason, but it does keep the cost down and somewhat levels the playing field. I have enough time in the hobby to know that there is not absolute parity between the mabuchis. I will agree that something needs to be done about the tires. When you spend almost as much on tires as plane fare that could be a signthat things are out of hand (figuring that a set of tires mounted runs in the neighborhood of $50, x 7 sets) not to mention that that doesnt include practice tires, so you are well over $400 just for tires for the week. I would mandate 2 sets of tires to be teched for race weekend, with an optional 3rd set for the triple A Mains. If you worked it this way at least everyone levels off at the same rate. If I were Tamiya, I would look at doing a premount with a fixed insert and keeping the cost around that of a CS27/RP30 Im not sure I follow the deal with the scoring methods, but I've never been a fan of IFMAR qualifying. Some kind of presorting would be cool to give everyone a fair chance.
I would gladly welcome spec tire controls.
I would also want a swedish back massage after my exploding chair therapy. . .

My tire plans were 2 sets of B3s on Sat, 1 set of As on Sunday morning and if I made the triple As probably 2 more sets. YUCK! It might make things interesting to limit sets to 3 or 4 regardless of what main you make. If it was 3 sets then it might become more of a strategy to the weekend, especially if you were in 7 races. . . The Nascar Busch series does it.

After 1 race my new right side tires were starting to slightly blister. I hand scuffed them. My race motor on Sunday after my main race started smelling a little funny. Besides over gearing I do thing pavement heat does tend to effect the ESC and motors. You may not blow the ESC, they just slow down. . .

I would welcome more changes to better the Nats.
Like what was mentioned earlier. . .

Limit tires
Recognize top 10 and all main winners.
(It is very expensive for out of towners to come to Aliso! )
(Give back some recognition even if it is a C-Main win, other races do it)
Better pre-sorting of round 1 qualifying
different qualifying? (Fred has some ideas)(maybe align with Japan?)
more raffle prizes
Japan winners king of the hill races
Something to fill in the long gap between the last main and awards I would suggest the raffle.

Last edited by A-Ko; 08-22-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, let's all compare notes on GT2 gearing then....

I was at a 106/45 in an 05 for an FDR of 5.30. I tried something a little taller but didn't like the arm getting over 200 degrees.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Lots of interesting ideas for next year. I like the idea of pre-sorting qualifying by ability levels, maybe put all the regional champs in one race, or do it by finishing order the previous year (I think the snowbirds does it like that). That would make for cleaner qualifying and less frustration by both the "fast" and "slow" guys.

Regarding black cans and going to open endbell motors. I think having one open endbell class and one sealed endbell class works. If you wanna mess with brushes and springs, run GT1. If you wanna spend hours breaking in your motor and looking through the vent hole with a flashlight, run GT2. Most of the problems I saw with black cans were due to people breaking them in too far. Kevin had a slow motor for a few runs because he broke his brushes in too far, and so did a few others. I didn't break my motors in as far as some people, and they lasted a lot longer. I ran all 4 qualifiers on one motor, and turned my fastest times in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

About spec gearing, I think gearing should be left open. Everybody drives different, and different motors of the same type require different gearing to run their best. What could be a good gear for one motor might be overgeared for another motor, and undergeared for a third.

I'm a bit divided on the idea of tire limits. On one hand it would limit costs somewhat, but on the other hand we already have to manage batteries and motors, adding tire management into the mix would just add another level of confusion. I think i'd rather spend more on tires to be sure I can run what I want when I want instead of wondering if the guy next to me is running new tires in the 2nd round or the 3rd.

Heads up qualifying-No way. IFMAR qualifying is the way to go. Looking at the times from each qualifying rounds, the difference between 1st and 10th for the round is only a few seconds, which would easily be skewed by a poor start or grid position in heads up. Also, when you have drivers of nearly identical speeds in the same qualifying heat, IFMAR lets them work together on their own clock so everyone goes fast, heads up just bunches everyone up and makes people battle for position instead of concentrate on getting in clean runs.

-James
Old 08-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Well put James...IFMAR is the only way to go....
Old 08-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
I didn't break my motors in as far as some people, and they lasted a lot longer. I ran all 4 qualifiers on one motor, and turned my fastest times in the 3rd and 4th rounds.....

-James
Speaking from past experience I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Well, let's all compare notes on GT2 gearing then....

I was at a 106/45 in an 05 for an FDR of 5.30. I tried something a little taller but didn't like the arm getting over 200 degrees.
Mr Gary... each roll over adds 25 degrees to your motor... a spin out or lexan contact adds 10 deg each .... hehe. J/K- this is the fastest I've seen you in awhile. Good job
Old 08-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeR
Mr Gary... each roll over adds 25 degrees to your motor... a spin out or lexan contact adds 10 deg each .... hehe. J/K- this is the fastest I've seen you in awhile. Good job
Funny Mike, funny. I actually adjusted my gameplan this year. Instead of trying to go fast and worrying about laptimes from the moment I hit the track, I worked on making the car comfortable to drive. For a car I built in the hotel Friday night at last year's Nats and only ran it one other time, the car wasn't too shabby for only it's 3rd race weekend. Next year though I am going to stick to my motor game plan...just run the damn things. I got caught up in the dyno races and 2 out of my 3 motors were crappy. The one good one was the one I used in the 2nd round of qualifying (where I was 3rd) and in the first main (where I got up to 2nd before I stepped on my d^ck)
Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

All big races involve similar spending sprees and I am sure most people witnessed the same at this years nats. Most races are much worse than TCS races though - you only have to buy 7 sets of one type of tire and not 7 sets of multiples types of tires. I stopped going to most big races just for that fact. Still enjoy the TCSs series and the friendships I have made over the years. Probably the reason i still attend even with the "wippler" rule in place (no prizes for past champs). Racing will always cost money, but the driver plays a big role in it as well. The guys that did well I am sure spent countless hours practicing and preparing for the race so that when they got there, they could put on a good showing. Ex: This past years I raced two complete TCS races plus practice sessions in GT1 with the same set of tires - Tamiya only sent 100prs to the track and most of the locals grabbed them up. Qualified second in both. Would I have been faster with new tires, probably, but it was still a good time none the less. The difference was the time I spent before going to the races setting up my car and practicing on a weekly basis.

Anyway, enough preaching.

Good luck to those bound for Japan and true to soak in the entire expereince. Unless you are eligible for a repeat (under 16), it will not happen again.

Erik
Old 08-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for supporting me at the TCS Final.
I would like to thank, TAOB Chris, SIR Team, Robert from KO for setting up my speed control and past champion Corey Lewis for motor tunning tips.
Our Team had great weekend. James Arluck was very fast, we had very good competition.

I would like to make comment on some incident that happen during this race.

On sunday, after the last round qulify, there was one black can motor flew 20 feet away from my back at just missed one of my friend mike steele and the motor land on the chair right beside him resulting knocking out the chair to the ground.

of course, we were suprised and try to find out what was going on, we looked around and seemed like no one knows who threw the motor, I am pretty sure someone must have seen it but no one knows who did it, on that time. well what could i do, i when back to working on my car, i had race to prepare. We tried to calm us down, and force ourself to believe that this was happen by accident. maybe someone tried to throw it to the garbage can which was another 20 ft away from us.

after we finish the main, this is after i have won the GT2 class. i was conering for mini A main and there was a guy who stopped in front of me, gives me a dirty look and he opens up his tool box and takes out a black can motor and threw it towards the track. the motor landed on the racing line and he took off. i grabbed the motor and threw it to the garbage can.

until this was happening i didn't know what was going on and was still focused in racing, i didn't want think too much about any other stuff.

when the whole thing was over, someone told me that the guy who threw the black can motor to the track when i was cornering was the guy who threw the motor to my table at the first place which was in the pits.

if the person who threw the motor to our table is reading this. you should apologize to our team, please don't do this again in the future. I know this was very competitive race, but this kind of behavior should not happen.

this is just not cool

P.S. I know who you are but for your sake i am not listing your name.

DON'T DO IT AGAIN.

KEITH

thanks for reading
Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamMuchMore
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for supporting me at the TCS Final.
I would like to thank, TAOB Chris, SIR Team, Robert from KO for setting up my speed control and past champion Corey Lewis for motor tunning tips.
Our Team had great weekend. James Arluck was very fast, we had very good competition.
Hey Keith.. thanks for the help you offered me! North America and Canada will be represented well when you, Mark and Troy go to japan. you do know we expect nothing but a world championship to be brought back!

btw.. i lost your cell #.. PM it to me again pls. i sent you an email, not sure if you got it. oh yah, tell Tom you need to bring the TB-02R to japan. car carries lots of cornerspeed.

for those interested: this body worked very well for myself. I know Steve finished 5th with his.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-lexussc-1.jpg  
Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

My two cent's worth:
Specify a nice hard Tamiya tire and insert (for consistency's sake), maximum pinion/spur gears and motors for all the classes!
Don't use the slower motors for handouts, specify a powerfull one and let the racers figure out how to best use it. Require Tamiya plugs to level the battery effect (if your car is melting plugs, there's an efficiency problem in the handling characteristics or the construction). These rules (except the Tamiya connector) are already applied in one form or another in the Spec, F201, and Mini classes, so the precedent it already there. And offer tempting advantages, such as higher rollouts for Front Wheel Drive cars and/or a significant weight reduction. Those type of rules lead to interesting mixes of ideals, cars and chassis on the track.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

I forgot to ask - how did the sedan body choice rule work out?
Was the GT2 main full of the same bodies or different ones?
Old 08-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

In Gt2 many different bodies:

Winner used:
350z

Then the following :

Skylines
New Lexus SC
Porsche
Corvette
Old 08-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Keith, if you know who did this, you need to tell Fred and this person needs to be BANNED from TCS. There is a president where this has been done once before when one racer nearly started a fight in the pits in either 1999 or 2000. Call the person out, there's no place for this in any series, and particularially not in TCS.

And I guess no-one else wants to compare gearing notes...oh well...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.