Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Tech Initiate

So, just to share my 2 cents on the 2006 TCS Nats (it's long, soooo here it goes):

I think the coordination of the Tamiya crew was excellent this year. Fred Medel and his minions did a fine job of making sure the racing was fair, and heats were running on schedule. The tech inspection crew was very friendly, yet were able to spot a few "snakes on the plane" with their keen car inspections. All in all, I had a GREAT time at the Nats this year. It was fun in the pits, driving, chatting with other drivers, and watching some great racing! Would I attend next year? Heck yah!

Qualifying rounds were much different than I had expected. I completely didn't understand the scoring system, even though I had a few friends and Tamiya crew explain the whole thing to me several times. It really just doesn't make any SENSE! Regardless, I just tried to drive the wheels off my r/c car, and try to get my best qualifying times without getting hacked, or hacking someone else. At one point in my 3rd qualifying heat, I was on a TQ pace...I couldn't believe it! Once Fred announced it, I crashed!!!! ARRRRGH!

I actually exceeded my own expectations for this years Nationals. I guess I should only expect to have fun at a race, rather than focus on winning...afterall-- that's what R/C is about, isn't it? Hmmm...well, at least to me it is. People keep talking about how it's so important to be in the A-mains. What should be important is the sportsmanship, comraderie, and common passion for r/c, right? Like someone else said in a previous post...the goal is different for everyone.

I found myself feeling this year that there is a minimum requirement for the budget it takes to be competitive in TCS. What this boils down to is:

*A BRAND NEW set of tires for every run (basically, 7 new sets of tires/inserts/rims and CA glue!)
*Freaking awesome batteries from some "secret source"
*Having enough money to buy hop-up parts (this is optional, but recommended by every racer)
*Having r/c equipment for almost ANY wrenching activity (i.e.-- tire truers, engine dynos, zero-mah dischargers, refrigeration-type engine coolers...the list goes on)

With everything mentioned above, I can't even FATHOM the amount of money spent just to have a chance to get into the A-mains. My cousin and I were even speculating at the races this past weekend just how much money in r/c equipment were sitting on those pit areas at Tamiya this weekend? We estimated well over $500,000!!! (Not to mention, someone drove a huge camper to Nats this year-- now that's hardcore!)

To put it frankly, I think the TCS series has become a challenge of budget for a lot of people. I think Fred has made some exceptional rule changes in order to curb this phenomona for the "budget racers" that would like to compete in this series. If I could choose an F1 team to represent the epitome of my r/c know-how and budget...it would have to be MINARDI. Low-budget racing at its finest.

As mentioned above, I'd like an instant replay or video of Mark and Juan's race finish down the straight on their 2nd A-main. I would have liked to see Mark and Juan drop their radios, run down the driver's stand and make a mad dash to the finish-line using their own two feet (just like Talledega Nights)...hehehee...

So, I apologize for the long post. My 2 cents turned into 2 dollars. By the way, congrats to all the TCS winners! I'm happy for all of you. I'm waiting for my turn to win in the year 2042...

Oh...and big shout-out to Chris for his batteries. It got me 4th in the B-mains for GT1, which is MUCH better than I had expected my weekend to turn out. Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Porkibear
......I'd like an instant replay or video of Mark and Juan's race finish down the straight on their 2nd A-main. I would have liked to see Mark and Juan drop their radios, run down the driver's stand and make a mad dash to the finish-line using their own two feet (just like Talledega Nights)...hehehee...
I would have done a triple-gainer-no-hander-lander to get off of that drivers stand. A timeless event.

4 years of watching the Invite Guys @ Reedy with drag race finishes; or 4 years of TCS races and I havent seen anything that dramatic. It was a lucky bounce. Good I had been practicing tumbling that Mini Frog on the off-road track the day before. If you car ever starts that roll, as old timer told me, if you yell "wheels", it has a good chance in doing just that, land on the wheels
Old 08-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
I would have done a triple-gainer-no-hander-lander to get off of that drivers stand. A timeless event.

4 years of watching the Invite Guys @ Reedy with drag race finishes; or 4 years of TCS races and I havent seen anything that dramatic. It was a lucky bounce. Good I had been practicing tumbling that Mini Frog on the off-road track the day before. If you car ever starts that roll, as old timer told me, if you yell "wheels", it has a good chance in doing just that, land on the wheels
Hey Mark,

Congrats on winning GT1 and earning your trip to japan. you've always been very helpful to me and my (woeful) set ups. Your willingness to answer my questions and teach me new things is well appreciated. North America will be represented very well with classy guys who can drive the wheels off any car. TAOB will be rooting for you, Troy and Keith to bring home the gold at the Worlds!

Congrats again.

- Chris
TAOB Racing

Porkibear: No problem. Glad to help you out anytime.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Limmer.

Anyone compare the *new* NSX to the old NSX? How do they compare?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I ve done the big spender thing in the past. New chassis, new cells , multiple motors and umpteen sets of tires. And guess what , never won the deal. Katzer may not like the closed endbell motors for whatever reason, but it does keep the cost down and somewhat levels the playing field. I have enough time in the hobby to know that there is not absolute parity between the mabuchis. I will agree that something needs to be done about the tires. When you spend almost as much on tires as plane fare that could be a signthat things are out of hand (figuring that a set of tires mounted runs in the neighborhood of $50, x 7 sets) not to mention that that doesnt include practice tires, so you are well over $400 just for tires for the week. I would mandate 2 sets of tires to be teched for race weekend, with an optional 3rd set for the triple A Mains. If you worked it this way at least everyone levels off at the same rate. If I were Tamiya, I would look at doing a premount with a fixed insert and keeping the cost around that of a CS27/RP30 Im not sure I follow the deal with the scoring methods, but I've never been a fan of IFMAR qualifying. Some kind of presorting would be cool to give everyone a fair chance.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Mark that was the most fun i ever had calling a finish. When you guy's came to the line before the last lap and got by the clock i knew it was gonna be a big finish but, never could i imagine the talladega night finish it was.
congrat's again.

since you video taped the podium did anyone you know get that finish on tape?
and how about posting the podium video.
RACE ON
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rchoudini
Mark that was the most fun i ever had calling a finish. When you guy's came to the line before the last lap and got by the clock i knew it was gonna be a big finish but, never could i imagine the talladega night finish it was.
congrat's again.

since you video taped the podium did anyone you know get that finish on tape?
and how about posting the podium video.
RACE ON
Usually there are quite a few cams running trackside. Hopefully someone tape turns up.

The video I shot will be rolled up into a project TBD later.

Thanks for the great call during the runs. You should come down and do the KO Race as well!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I ve done the big spender thing in the past. New chassis, new cells , multiple motors and umpteen sets of tires. And guess what , never won the deal. Katzer may not like the closed endbell motors for whatever reason, but it does keep the cost down and somewhat levels the playing field. I have enough time in the hobby to know that there is not absolute parity between the mabuchis. I will agree that something needs to be done about the tires. When you spend almost as much on tires as plane fare that could be a signthat things are out of hand (figuring that a set of tires mounted runs in the neighborhood of $50, x 7 sets) not to mention that that doesnt include practice tires, so you are well over $400 just for tires for the week. I would mandate 2 sets of tires to be teched for race weekend, with an optional 3rd set for the triple A Mains. If you worked it this way at least everyone levels off at the same rate. If I were Tamiya, I would look at doing a premount with a fixed insert and keeping the cost around that of a CS27/RP30 Im not sure I follow the deal with the scoring methods, but I've never been a fan of IFMAR qualifying. Some kind of presorting would be cool to give everyone a fair chance.
My only reason I am not a big fan of the closed endbells for nationals (I still ike GT3 for regionals) is that you can't maintain them and if you burn your brushes once you're screwed. With an open endbell motor you can at least cut the comm and replace brushes if you messed up on your gearing. It's also a bit frustrating when you order motors ahead of time to test with and what you get is something different at the event. The motors I ordered, same P/N and everything, were were the olive-green cans. When we got our handouts, they were actually BLACK black-can motors. They did run differently, break in differently, etc. I also think if we go to an open-endbell motor again it takes a lot of the mumbo-jumbo and voodoo out of the motor situation.

As far as tires, this year I used 4 sets for the race weekend (1 set of A's for the mornings, 3 sets of B3's) and 5 sets for practice. Granted, I got out there on Tuesday so of course I would have gone through more tires. That was my choice. I also used Take Off tires on Tuesday and Wednesday to get in the ball park and switched to Tamiya Rubber on Thursday to fine tune the chassis. I ran my best times in qualifying on 1-run scuffs for what it's worth too. If you allowed 3 sets of tires for qualifying (1 set of A's, 2 sets of B3's) and a 4th set to those in the A-Main, there's no reason why someone couldn't have a great race weekend like that.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Usually there are quite a few cams running trackside. Hopefully someone tape turns up.

The video I shot will be rolled up into a project TBD later.

Thanks for the great call during the runs. You should come down and do the KO Race as well!
i put the bug in Robert's ear, told him i would love to do it. Tell him you want me to call em .
i know that this year charlie is calling them. If there any changes let me know.
thanks for the complament.

Last edited by rchoudini; 08-22-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Any news on 2wd? Did everyone like the spec batts?

Porkibear

My first year racing 02 I made the A with a Ta04R with the only hopup being a Oneway. Had two new batts and old 2400 practice packs and used 4 sets of nasty b2's. I also didnt bring any standup brushes for the 23t(now used to power my lathe to this day ) I was way off the pace but got lucky. Now I wouldn't dream of trying that again because of the level of competition. This year I could not justify spending two grand to go to two races but I do miss the TCS.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

All the winners deserve kudos for their excellent performance and so does the TTG winner! Let's give Jimmy Jacobson some much deserved praise for finishing first in the TTG unlimited class as well as his new career with Kirkland in the frozen pizza division.

Wow. quite a looker isn't he!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-specialjimmy1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Gary,
I hear ya on many levels, why did the brushes burn up though? Im not saying that you did something wrong or that you dont know what your doing( always known that (jk)(lol)( lighten up francis) ) But the tendency to overgear to go fast is probably behind alot of failures if there were any. Im not a fan of ROAR stocks, I have never been able to get them to run right, to me the closed endbell deal is less hassle, no brushes to replace, no comms to turn, just more simple. I also hear ya on the tire thing, but where did you finish? not a shot, but did you get out driven, out lucked or out tired? If I am going to go to all the expense to go to the Nats, I would at least like to hope I had a chance to win. Like I said, in the past I played the high roller in the pits with duplicates and some times triplicates and it probably or most likely put me out of contention. A $4-$500 tire bill to me is out of the realm of hobbyest racing, which is what the TCS has always been sold as. I know that not every fast guy is throwing tires out after 1 run, but there are those that are and it sets a bad prcedent
Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default CONGRATS

Congragulations to all the winners....You guys have no idea how much fun and spoiled your going to be. Tamiya steps up big time for the Worlds in Japan to make sure all is well takin care of. This was probably the most exciting nationals to watch for me ever.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by David J.
All the winners deserve kudos for their excellent performance and so does the TTG winner! Let's give Jimmy Jacobson some much deserved praise for finishing first in the TTG unlimited class as well as his new career with Kirkland in the frozen pizza division.

Wow. quite a looker isn't he!

LOL....can you say get to the back of the short yellow bus........
Old 08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Gary,
I hear ya on many levels, why did the brushes burn up though? Im not saying that you did something wrong or that you dont know what your doing( always known that (jk)(lol)( lighten up francis) ) But the tendency to overgear to go fast is probably behind alot of failures if there were any. Im not a fan of ROAR stocks, I have never been able to get them to run right, to me the closed endbell deal is less hassle, no brushes to replace, no comms to turn, just more simple. I also hear ya on the tire thing, but where did you finish? not a shot, but did you get out driven, out lucked or out tired? If I am going to go to all the expense to go to the Nats, I would at least like to hope I had a chance to win. Like I said, in the past I played the high roller in the pits with duplicates and some times triplicates and it probably or most likely put me out of contention. A $4-$500 tire bill to me is out of the realm of hobbyest racing, which is what the TCS has always been sold as. I know that not every fast guy is throwing tires out after 1 run, but there are those that are and it sets a bad prcedent
I got out HP-ed. My car drove excellent and actually felt a little more comfortable on scuffs. I worked my way up to 2nd in the first main and rolled it in the keyhole...self induced. 2nd and 3rd main, I had no motor. It's hard to move up when you're losing 8-10 feet on the straight. You can actually burn up brushed by excessively undergearing the motors as well, so it's a matter of finding that sweet spot. I dunno, maybe a spec gearing? By doign that, Tamiya might even be able to sell a few TB-02's again since they wouldn't be at a gear disadvantage. I dunno.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.