Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree824Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
Technically the race was the "TCS North America Finals" not the "TCS United States Finals" but if someone wants to send me to Japan I certainly won't say no.

-James
Exactly!!! All I was asking was what country will he represent? That's it.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Keith is from the Vancuver, British Columbia area, I dont think they consider themselves as part of Canada they cross the border to buy cheaper gass and booze all the time. So I know he will represent North America just fine!!!

Keith, Mark and Troy should be North Americas best shot yet to bring back the GOLD.
Great luck to all threeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
Fred
Old 08-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fred get another Tamiya and git yer butt down again next year. Kuney's waterbed for Doug will go down in history.......
Old 08-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Dan, I'm not shure thats a story I want to hear.
The TA05's are still sitting on the shelf.
Kids got a job now, does Troy know he works at Geni ?
So next year he can take me.
Fred
Old 08-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Fred get another Tamiya and git yer butt down again next year. Kuney's waterbed for Doug will go down in history.......
i dunno Dan (looks around to see if kids are reading the thread)... but the 38DD that Kuney followed into the Ladies Room was definitely worth the $20 I sacrificed gotta love the OC.

but Jeff "The Magic Man" Kuney was kind enough to give back the $20.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rccardr

Some impressive highlights for me: Mike Masters breaking in the first round of Mini and then going on to win the second round from mid pack. Marty Hageman making the A from the C qualifier rounds and then finishing 4-5-6 in a 414M. Craig Richter sneaking into the Mini A Main at the last minute. David Weir's son Nathan doing an AWESOME job handing it out to more experienced drivers and having a super overall finish- he's one to watch.

See everyone in 2007!
Later
Doc
Hey Doc - small correction to make here.
In Mini, Troy Crabtree took A Main 1.

Mike Masters did an excellent job in A Main 2, BUT he finished 2nd, as I passed him in the infield at about the 1/2 way mark, giving me the win in A Main 2. Masters and I were nose to tail for the first half of the race, he drove an excellent line, but I had just a bit more motor and grip on the infield 180 to make the pass.

A Main 3 Crabtree took off with me in tow, but I hit a dot, caught back up, but then ran out of motor and simply couldn't keep up and he cruised to his well deserved win. Mr. Hicks also had more motor than I in A Main 3, and he put a perfect pass on me in the sweeper on the inside (he had about six inches between me and the berm, and he made it through perfectly clean - absolutely beautiful pass - we must have had a 1/2 inch between our doors through the entire sweeper!).

Mini was one heck of a class - three past three national champs itching for the Japan ticket, plust Hicks, Christianson (TQ), White, Mertes, and of course the young Weir (great understudy, next year he'll probably beat me!).

And Doc - many thanks for the lesson on droop!

Hope to see all next year, if not sooner.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Fred and the Tamiya crew, you ran a great Nationals show again. Everything went smooth. I know the announcement of a two day regional in July brought smiles to many faces. Twice the fun in one weekend !

For GT-2, the rule changes did make for some tighter racing and took out the biggest concerns/complaints lodged last year. There were still enough areas left open that people who spend the time to practice and tune and test and experiment will have some reward for their many hours and dollars invested as they should.

There were some rumors heard but my 2 cents is the IFMAR qualifying Tamiya is using is still the best way to run the qualifiers. Heads up starts takes away driving skill and throws it all into who is luckiest. Just ask Kevin Smith who was in the same first two qualifiers I was in. We were lapping cars by lap 3 of a 18 lap race and had three cars that were lapped four times each in that same heat. I would like to see a return of listing your best finish position on the entry. It could help to sort out the first qualifiers to put more like speed drivers together.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by minidriver
Mike Masters did an excellent job in A Main 2, BUT he finished 2nd, as I passed him in the infield at about the 1/2 way mark, giving me the win in A Main 2. Masters and I were nose to tail for the first half of the race, he drove an excellent line, but I had just a bit more motor and grip on the infield 180 to make the pass.
That was a great race. You guys were nose to tail for so long I was waiting for a bobble, that never happened to give away the lead or let Mike cement his lead. I just wish Mike had better luck in round 1. It was an honor to help him get to the line, especially when I had to sprint to tech for round 3...

It was an interesting way to score the rounds. I think anybody in the top 20 had a realistic chance to make the A. The competition was great and each round of qualifying seemed to be more important than the past Nats.

My only complaints. . .

I just wish there was more give and take for qualifying.
There was a guy motoring up on me and I did not know who he was and I yelled "inside". He got by and we both did not waste time battling each other possibly ruining our best runs.

Radio keying... might be mute for some with DSM I still use crystals.
During one of my qualifying races someone was messing around with their radio in the pits which sent me to the wall after the sweeper. I was lucky that my car did not break and I could race and get Fred's attention
I did see this happen with many races DSM or no DSM there should be NO keying and radio impound sucks!

Nascar needs to mandate safer barriers.
Round 3 qualifying I spun on the 180 after the sweeper at the start of qualifying. Yeah I pushed the car too hard without waiting for tires to heat up. Cars got by and the next lap I was trying to early apex one of the cars that passed me. My car got into the marbles and was going for the TCS Stripe. Unfortunately the gap between the boards ripped off my front right tire . . . . I know this because there were wood splinters on the threads of the stubshaft.

It was a fun year, just a little shy on luck for me, who knows what 07 will bring? I am happy I had an awesome handling car and just a tad shy on speed. Looks like my car needs to see Jenny Craig. . .

Wonder what Fred will do to replace IFMAR starts and I hope he gets us an early schedule so we can plan our busy lives around it. . .
Old 08-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
I would like to see a return of listing your best finish position on the entry. It could help to sort out the first qualifiers to put more like speed drivers together.
I believe something better needs to happen. 2 Rounds is a long time to spend threading through newer drivers. I still would like to see a post round 2 resort, something better needs to happen for the 1st 2 rounds.

Maybe a TCS database could come in handy where they could keep track of number of races you raced in a given year/years, score your yearly finishing positions like 06 Nats qualifying or compile the years you participated at the Nats to sort the heats.

There are many options. The regulars should be rewarded for participation. Like Doc should be in the "A" main for Nats qualifying for this years past race. I think he only missed 1 TCS 2006 race.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation RE:TCS FINALS!

Congrats to all the "A" main winners and to Fred for keeping everthing on schedule. Finished before it got dark! Big thanks to all of Team "SIR", for all the batteries and support for Timmy to have a shot at the podium. Thanks to Chris for the tires and Joel for the air compressor.
"Oh, and a big :
"way to go" to all of TEAM TAOB for winning their mains. Christian winning the "C" in GT-1. Igor winning "B" in mini and Alex for winning his main in GT-1.
It was kind of a shame that the lower main winners went home empty handed. They all put a lot of effort (and money) into getting the win in their own "main" but no mention of how they finished or a plaque of something.
I remember years ago Fred raffled off a lot of small prizes and almost nobody came home empty handed. I still have my Tamiya coffee mug and pit towel from years gone by!
Timmy also has a lot of certificates for Rookie of the year from years gone by!
A few young drivers won their mains and it would have been nice for them to recieve something or some kind of recognition for the lower main wins! Is it really all about the "A" mains?
I know I have no room to complain, I won a Frog, or I should say Timmy won a Frog but I would gladly have given it up to replace it for some small tid bit for the younger racers! That way they could come home to their Mom's with their eyes wide open and say "Look MOM this is what I got for racing". It might not be much but I sure it would mean a lot to them!
After all, those kids are the future of RC racing, if there will be any RC racing in the future! Who knows?
I still think RC ing is a great family oriented hobby where father and son or daughter can spend time together and enjoy sharing something in common.
The time me and Timmy have spent together these past 4-5 years at the track I wouldn't give up for all the MRE kits in the world!
Well I guess I'll get off my soap box now and say "See you all the track!!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
I would like to see a return of listing your best finish position on the entry. It could help to sort out the first qualifiers to put more like speed drivers together.
Input from a slow driver...
I would like to see something like that. During the regionals and finals I was in a heat with some very fast and potential a-main drivers. All I could think of was how I needed to get out of their way and not mess up their runs. I would gladly sign up and request to be put into a qualifier with equally matched drivers. It would take a load of pressure of. I love running TCS because it's fun but I also understand that a lot of guys take this series very serious. Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maxepower, I was talking to rccardr about that very thing yesterday afternoon. What other big race do you go to where only the top three get something for their finishes? Normally it's the top ten and the top three of lower mains. I know stuff like that costs money, but with 4 huge events every year now at TA (RROC, KO, TCS Regionals, TCS Nats) plus the money racers spend the week of the event buying product AT LIST PRICE, I would like to see some sort of nod to the other drivers.

As far as rule changes for '07..

RC Scoring Pro does allow you to rate a driver's ability. If you do it like Jeff suggests, why not give drivers that finished in the top 5 a 10 rating, 6-10 a 9, 11th thru a 15th place finish an 8, down to 20th a 7, and so on?

Get rid of closed endbell motors for GT2. There's got to be some slower rebuildable motor that we can use for GT2. Even if there's not a Tamiya option, what about either going back to 24 degree motors or even getting some 5D motors from Trinity and Spec brushes?

I know some people have talked about a limit on tires. I'd say allow 3-4 sets and you'd be just fine. That would allow you enough tires that you could run a new set every other run plus allow you to run B3's and A's depending on the track temps.

GT1- All Ferrari's all the time, GT2- All NSX's

Spec batteries for GT1 too.

I have some other things I would personally like to see, but that's enough for now
Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Geez, 1 day after the Nats and how many of us are already looking forward to the '07 TCS season ?

Hey Fred, I think you and your team are doing something pretty right to keep dragging us back in year after year. You are always looking for little tweaks to make it a better experience for racers at all levels of skill and finances but you have developed a great core program that just seems to get better every year !
Old 08-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Ifmar qualifying is great, just need to do as suggested above: is to rank the guys according to how you finished in the Nationals or how you qualified and so on.....that way fast guys race with each other...sort of like a resort, but on round one instead of doing it for round 3.

Very good Ideas.....
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For those who have asked, I finished second in the B after qualifying either fifth or seventh, and that was after running my best qualifying time on Sunday morning (not the first time that's happened). Like I said for the week preceding this event, the competition was very very strong this year and simply making the top ten in any class was really an accomplishment.

As far as qualifying goes:
*I think it would be easy to compile an annual points database based on regional finishes and stack the heats according to regional finishing order. After all, Tamiya gets the complete results of every TCS race, so it couldn't be that difficult.
* Run IFMAR for the first two rounds based on that stack ranking, then resort and run two rounds of heads-up qualifying with the fourth round starting order based on the finishing order in the third round. Not hard to do (Fred did it this year) and that way people get used to heads-up starts and there should be cleaner racing when the Mains come around.

Once again, lots of fun and a super event put on by Fred and the Tamiya crew. Looking forward already to the 2007 season!

Later
Doc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.