Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I SURVIVED!

I felt like a guinea pig of sorts.

My trip went like this. I flew out of Midway Friday 5:30pm. We arrived at 2:30pm to the airport for ample time. Huge lines for curb-side as well as inside. It was worse inside so we just waited curbside waving to all the news cameras. The line was probably 300' long. The bright side is it only took 1/2 hour. Security only took us 10 minutes.

My carryons consisted of a duffle bag with 2 extra bags, a backpack, cd player headphones, digital camera, extra AA batteries, a few jackets and magazines. Mostly stuff I could not fit into any of my 4 suit cases. I have sooo much reduncancy as far as extras with radios, cars, servos, etc, to eliminate any fowl luck which seems to find me from my past visites here.... LOL

I degress. We flew into JW and all my luggage was intact. Although both my cardboard boxes had the friendly TSA tape around it. Today I unpacked and found a friendly TSA note with my batteries and with a black rag I packed that I used for tires. Why I packed it dunno. All my oils/liquids I sealed in ziplock bags which was not a problem. Batteries I taped over the +/- with electrical tape (I hardwire). I kept waiting for the dreaded intercom call that I had last time where they hazmatted stuff. I would suggest leaving behind your traction compound and buying it here.

Today my wife and I hit the track so I could burn some butterflies. I did not want to run, I figured it would be crowded, which I was right. After that we went to LA to drool over the Foose display at Petersons. Awesome! I am lucky my wife likes cars

I am getting my Disney trip in early (Monday). So I don't have to say it later

I cannot wait to usher in Speedweek, with the help of my friends!

Jeff
Old 08-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Well Jeff I wish I was that lucky.
Does anyone have a spare 27mhz JR R1 radio to lend a guy from out of town??? or a MSX chassis plate with shock towers?

Rental car shuttle bus @ LAX 1, TCS nationals racer 0
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-beach-tcs-regionals-2006-110.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-beach-tcs-regionals-2006-114.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-beach-tcs-regionals-2006-119.jpg  
Old 08-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Troy... was that Chris driving too fast? OUCH!
Old 08-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Well Jeff I wish I was that lucky.
Does anyone have a spare 27mhz JR R1 radio to lend a guy from out of town??? or a MSX chassis plate with shock towers?

Rental car shuttle bus @ LAX 1, TCS nationals racer 0

Ouch, I feel your pain! See u guys at TCS!

Carpet anyone?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...33#post2574933
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by izzyracer
Ouch, I feel your pain! See u guys at TCS!

Carpet anyone?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...33#post2574933
Izzy when are you coming to Tamiya, you have some stuff of mine I need. I thought that is was supposed to be given to Chris. But he didn't have it.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Izzy when are you coming to Tamiya, you have some stuff of mine I need. I thought that is was supposed to be given to Chris. But he didn't have it.
Well, I probably will not be coming in til saturday and you told me to just hold on to it until tcs, so that is what I'm doing. But if Chris has time, he can always pick it up. . See you Saturday Champ!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Well, I probably will not be coming in til saturday and you told me to just hold on to it until tcs, so that is what I'm doing. But if Chris has time, he can always pick it up. . See you Saturday Champ!
I need it before saturday. I need to try it to see if I want to use it.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

I need it before saturday. I need to try it to see if I want to use it.
bummer, I'll try my best to get a practice day. but highly unlikely cause I have no more sick or vacation days. daughter got sick for a long time so it all went there.

Anyway if you wanna pick it up at Mockett, LMK!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yup its that time of year again. Speedweek hasnt officially started, and I am already going through withdrawls. This will be the second year in a row that I am MIA. Oh well, theres always next year(hopefully). Sounds like an adventure just to get there. Safe travels to all and good luck, sounds like its going to be fiercer than usual this year
Old 08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

bummer, I'll try my best to get a practice day. but highly unlikely cause I have no more sick or vacation days. daughter got sick for a long time so it all went there.

Anyway if you wanna pick it up at Mockett, LMK!
where is Mocket?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

where is Mocket?
oopps sorry, my work! in torrance, ca
Old 08-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

oopps sorry, my work! in torrance, ca
Izzy, PM me your cell # I'm going to Gardena Monday AM. I can come get it then??
Old 08-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So far so good on my travel adventures. There were some longer lines this morning at check in (Long lines on a Monday? No way!) but everything went well. I carried on my radio and a body, along with my PS2 and of course my laptop which I am on now (gottal love Sprint's high-speed data service!). Everything was identical to every other time I've flown post 9/11.

As a side note, Mike Truhe from Team Losi is here in the same terminal with me. He finished 4th at the ROAR Mod off-road nats at Planet RC and is also carrying on RC gear. Looks like he has a radio case and a TL duffel bag. Best advice I guess is to give yourself plenty of time, don't be a jag bag (aka Dan Garber), and be nice
Old 08-14-2006, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Everything was identical to every other time I've flown post 9/11.

That's great to hear, Gary. Doesn't hurt that you're flying out of the midwest, either. TSA in DC and NYC are both still pretty tough, which is understandable given what happened five years ago.

Have a great (and FUN!!!) couple of days in Aliso and I'll see you Thursday night.

Later
Doc
Old 08-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default air travel security

Not to say that security is inconsistent, but...

We left from Milwaukee this morning. MKE to SanDiego via Kansas City. At baggage check in Milwaukee, handed them the four checked bags and said to them "from past experiece these will probably need to be inspected." (the bags had 12 battery packs, etc, the stuff that usually sets off the need for a hand inspection). The guy then did not even put them through the xray scanner, but set them aside for hand inspection. There, a guy rubbed the paper explosive cloth on the handles, the towelette checked out ok, and they put them through. No xray, never opened them, nothing!

We decided to carry on our 3 chargers, power supply and much more motor checker (as well as laptop, ipod, etc). They were packed in aluminum cases, so when they passed through the xray machine I imagine they couldn't see in to all the wires that I sure thought would be suspicious. They did pull the bag aside, however, and inspected the video camera very carefully, running the explosive detection all around the video camera. Then they handed us the bag. Never touched the two aluminum cases with the chargers and stuff!

Grand total of about 45 minutes from the time we got in line to check in bags to eating breakfast in the terminal. Most of that time was simply waiting in line to go through the ticket counter. No wait at all through carry on security. Yes, we had a 6:30 am flight so the airport was not very crowded.

Now all we have to do is cross our fingers that the bags arrive safely to SanDiego.

Kansas City airport now has free wi fi!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.