Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
KevinC.
$88 dollars.... that's about how much it will cost for a round trip ticket to Japan with all your frequent flyer miles?
$ 63.95 Max but whos counting. Probably the only way I will ever get to Tamiya in Japan.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Hey Jeff,
Did they up the checked in bag limit to accommodate? I thought you could only check 2 bags per person? Or did you have a third ticket? I'll be ok if they let me check a 3rd bag. Well, as long as everything stays in those bags that is!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I resemble that remark too. . .

I mentioned earlier about carry-ons. This is the 1st time in 13 RC Race trips that I did not carry on anything RC related, well maybe a magazine. Between what I have been reading and a friend that travels alot said,. . . My nightmare would be to have on 2 carry-on bags that they would say have to be checked in. Upon arrival into Orange County I would have a bag of parts due to insufficient packaging.

One report did say no electronic devices other than a cell phone and laptop. The terrorists were planning on using an electronic flash from a disposable camera that would detonate the liquids. So being my 13th RC related trip, I had to sidestep bad-luck. . .

The rules keep changing every hour. The US changed their checkin policy nation wide which was an incredible effort in less than 4 hours. I decided to take advantage of our checkin bag limit, between the two of us which is 6 checked in bags. Feels like a Uhaul would be easier. . .
Please make sure you post your experience. We are scheduled to leave on a 6:30 am flight Monday out of Milwaukee - somehow the idea of being at the airport at 4:30 am or earlier is not pretty.

I was going to carry on just three chargers, much more motor checker and power supply, and check everything else, but the more I read the more I think I will just check it all through. Something about their alleged plan to use disguised electronic devices as the detonator of explosives and the mass of wires coming from the above items gives me pause, even if I carry on the instruction manuals. If you think about it, why they would allow us to carry on rc transmitters is incredible (remote control of item in checked baggage).

Let us know how they reacted to your stick pack batteries, which of course resemble sticks of dynamite on xray.

My son and I get four checked pieces, and we have carefully divided things up such that if any one bag is "misplaced" we should still be able to run. Tires, wheels, inserts, bodies, extra parts all spread out between the bags. (If they lose the bag with the radios, then we are in trouble, but those are more readily replaceable (yet expensive) items as compared to certain parts, chassis, etc. Several years ago I lost a single bag traveling to TCS Nationals and was really set back for the race.(multiple chargers, dyno, etc - about $3200).

See ya in Aliso Viejo!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Hey Jeff,
Did they up the checked in bag limit to accommodate? I thought you could only check 2 bags per person? Or did you have a third ticket? I'll be ok if they let me check a 3rd bag. Well, as long as everything stays in those bags that is!
If I flew United or American 2 bags. Southwest is 3 bags at 50 pounds each.

I have 2 big suitcases.
A chopped down UPS Heavy duty box with 2 plano tackleboxes
a Dell computer box.
and my wifes 2 suitcases.

All under 50 pounds and under 62 linear inches

My host does have a computer I will get on an post what I ran into, either tonight or tomorrow.

Mike Masters, sorry I did not get in touch with ya. Last 2 weeks have been sorta hellish. Will pit and hook up when you get to the track on Thursday.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Went to Tamiya today, the track is done, got a few jumps as well. Jun was there and I talked to him and he said the track is a lot of fun and was surprised with what they had been able to do. The encourage people to test is out before nationals if possible. Jun's Frog was also VERY impressive to say the least. He is going in the unlimited class obviously with a 19t motor, nice shocks with springs from a 1/10 nitro, and thick oil. Also using some clay type tires I believe.

Will take pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

please post pictures, I would like to see what he did to his frog.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this years past chumps race . Can't afford the trip.

Hope you guys have fun!

I always enjoyed the race that Fred puts on.

see you guys in Vegas!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Sorry to hear that Martin. You are a class act and I enjoyed talking with you last year about setups. Best of luck to you in Vegas!

Hey Bruce, you bringing that TT? Might be fun.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this years past chumps race .
Whaaat?!? The Martin Crisp class will feel weird without you

Perhaps we can have a rematch in Vegas lol
Old 08-12-2006, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Bored this morning, so let's dig into the entry list a little:

There are more sign-ups for TamTech Unlimited than F1! Put a fork in it F1 fans, I think it's done!

40+ in both GT1 and GT2. Should be some good racing.

24 in mini. I thought that class would be bigger this year considering it's a trip class???

11 in PC. I assume Fred will toss them ALL into the same heat now that they have the capability to run more than 10.

TamTech is looking strong for an exhibition class. Makes me want to pick on up from somebody and run too.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bill, I'm also surprised that Mini doesn't have more entrants. On the other hand, there's lots of top quality on the list.

Add up the guys who have the capability of making the A Main level nationally, and it looks like there's an easy dozen who could make the show:
*Three former Nats Champs (assuming Deven White will be there and just hasn't signed up yet)
* Richter and Christianson and Hicks and Masters- all super strong guys
* Ray Paley and Bill Wallace both have the motive and the opportunity
* Nathan Weir gets better every year and Dad sure knows how to make those little cars fast
* Even though this is the first Big Appearance in Mini for Todd Marshall, he's no slouch
* Jay Helson has been making the TCS rounds and hit a bunch of Regionals this year, too

...and every year- EVERY YEAR- there's one or two guys who come out of nowhere and make the A. So it will be tough. Fun, but tough.

Personally, I'm just hoping to make the Show. Doing that in this group of drivers would be a real accomplishment. Plus, that would make it five times in a row for me.

Later
Doc
Old 08-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Don't get me wrong....I think the mini race is going to be TIGHT. It just surprises me that there are far fewer mini entries than in GT1/GT2. In fact, I think we had about the same number of entries if not more last year when it was NOT a Japan race. If they let you run two classes, I'd be in mini again this year too!

GT1 seems to have the most growth from last year. I wonder if people were chased away from running a sedan class with a spec battery?

Whatever the case, it should be fun! Looking at the weather report, the temps look to be much more "So-Cal'ish" than the July race!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Weather was very nice today- felt like June. Lots of people practicing. 5 or 6 of the past champs had a warm up run togeteher at the end of the day that was a blast. Really too bad you can't come out Martin Would be even more fun with ya.

Next weekend is going to be intense. Good luck everyone!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Yes,

Great weather today. Must of been 50 guys practicing today. David Jun and Tony Tam had a blast on the tamtech offroad track. Those little frogs look like fun.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WoW !!! sounds like I missed a nice practice day .. had a wedding to attend .. .. Ill be back there Fri . I hope the weather is just as nice .....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.