Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TCS Regionals!

Originally Posted by lbckevin
They might need Stadium Lights for the Regionals next year.

Or,

Just start actual racing at 9am and then you will finish with a little day light.
I talked to Fred M. the other day and he said if there is a large turnout for Regionals next year, it will be a two day race. Qualifing will start Sat. afternoon.
This makes better sense rather than rush everybody through i.e. forgeting to put on transponder or wrong frequency! Gee, I've never done that before?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Fred, how much are the spec motors and batteries going to be?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

They didn't ship your stuff????
when are you flying out on thursday??
if you would like give me a call
cya
Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
Hi Jeff,

For those coming for SpeedWeek, we can ship it directly to the hotel you're staying at. And to ship to Aliso Viejo by UPS Ground will take only one day. So if you order on Wednesday, you'll get it Thursday (if your order comes in before 4pm) Last year I stayed open late on Thursday until 11pm for those that wish to come up and pick up anything last minute or just wanted to visit. I think I will only be showing up on Friday for practice (and of course Friday we'll be closed) I will most likely do the late hours again for the national.

Steve Wang
Hi Steve,

Sounds like a good deal. Although I am not staying in a hotel and getting shipments might be difficult. Will you be hand delivering for friday if I ordered & paid in advance? If I have a chance I will try to stop by your shop.

Jeff
Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

I'm super bummed. The one class I really enjoyed and looked forward to twice a year (f201) has been eliminated and replaced... with offroad! Fred, how many people do you seriously think will actually sign up for 2 offroad classes? And last time I checked, you don't have an offroad track but a little flat patch of dirt. Are you planning on running them on the onroad track? I personally think this is super lame and you have killed a great competitive class in lieu of 2 exhibition classes and an extra mini class. Not to mention a brushless motor in a Grasshopper in 100+ degree heat should melt that gearbox faster than you can say Tah-mee-yah.

If I am expected to be shoehorned into GT1 or GT2 I don't know much about them other than the motor and battery stuff. It essentially amounts to hundreds of dollars in costs (tires, inserts, Tamiya bodies, batteries, etc.) before even thinking to be competitive. Perhaps my days at Tamiya TCS are numbered.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well boy-os...I just bought my plane tickets (plane, no Mayo )

GT2 fo me fo sho! Straight to the bottom of the D-Main! Whoohoo!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does this new offroad class mean the guys at Tamiya USA will finally redo that dirt track they have behind the touring car track? What offroad cars are they running?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

I hear that the track is being re-juvenated in the next week or 3 for Nats and it is the perfect size for the TamTech's.

Fraz sorry to hear you won't be there but it is hard to justify a class when you are lucky to fill an A at the Regional level. With no trip and sales for the car being flat to non-existant why run the class at Nats, not sure you would get more than an A main there also.

Crap I thought we were gonna have a year off Gary....Join our group for dinner at least one of the nights. What day you coming in?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Tamiya gave away Tamtech Frogs to all the winners at this past TCS race. That alone will all but guarantee they have at least as many Frogs out there as they did F201s.

I agree with Difuser.....If you can't get the locals to support a full field of F201's, why even consider it for the Nationals. I bought my F201 on the tail end of popularity. We actually had an A and a B in Cinci, but Memphis had just four of them. I believe they had just 9 at this past race at Tamiya.

The M04 class didn't fair too well either, but combining M03 and M04 with a "biggest pinion" rule may provide some interesting racing, especially if the rumors of a short mini track are true this year. So if you can't stomach buying tires and bodies for GT1/2, pick up a mini and go have some affordable fun!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fraz
I'm super bummed. The one class I really enjoyed and looked forward to twice a year (f201) has been eliminated and replaced... with offroad! Fred, how many people do you seriously think will actually sign up for 2 offroad classes? And last time I checked, you don't have an offroad track but a little flat patch of dirt. Are you planning on running them on the onroad track? I personally think this is super lame and you have killed a great competitive class in lieu of 2 exhibition classes and an extra mini class. Not to mention a brushless motor in a Grasshopper in 100+ degree heat should melt that gearbox faster than you can say Tah-mee-yah.

If I am expected to be shoehorned into GT1 or GT2 I don't know much about them other than the motor and battery stuff. It essentially amounts to hundreds of dollars in costs (tires, inserts, Tamiya bodies, batteries, etc.) before even thinking to be competitive. Perhaps my days at Tamiya TCS are numbered.
Unfortunately, Tamiya Japan and the drivers killed F201, not Fred. Since Tamiya Japan dropped from the Tamiya Worlds in Japan last year, the class has steadily declined. Rarely does anyone see more than a handful at any local race. There was less than two full mains in Fremont, and barely a full main at Tamiya Aliso track. Heck, they ran F201 at the KO Grand Prix at Tamiya in '05 as a second class and I still think it was not even one full main. The overall interest in the car is just gone, that's the reason.

As for the Tamtech Frog race, note it is only a "second class" entry, like Mini was a few years back. The idea is to build interest in a product Tamiya is trying to market. Seems like an exhibition class at their own Nationals is a good way to show case a new product. You must have also missed fwd and rwd mini will run together at the Nats.

Even if they ran F201, you still would have spent $$ to race the Nationals. You would still have tires and batteries and a new body to buy if you wanted to be competitive in that class.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey! I'm looking forward running my mini frog. It's all about bragging rights, right Kev!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Unfortunately, Tamiya Japan and the drivers killed F201, not Fred. Since Tamiya Japan dropped from the Tamiya Worlds in Japan last year, the class has steadily declined. Rarely does anyone see more than a handful at any local race. There was less than two full mains in Fremont, and barely a full main at Tamiya Aliso track. Heck, they ran F201 at the KO Grand Prix at Tamiya in '05 as a second class and I still think it was not even one full main. The overall interest in the car is just gone, that's the reason.

Even if they ran F201, you still would have spent $$ to race the Nationals. You would still have tires and batteries and a new body to buy if you wanted to be competitive in that class.
Tamiya Japan killed f201 for trips 2 years ago and same with Mini. Hasn't seemed to stop the minis though and now they're back in, and expanding. Like you said, Fremont had nearly 2 full heats and there was close to 3 full heats at the nats last year. That sounds like there is still plenty of interest to me. I understand the popularity of the car sucks in various regions but it is a great class and everybody at TCS loved to watch the exciting battles with tons of ooohs and aaahhhs. Can the same be said for the 8000 lame heats of past champions? I think not. Typically it is a heckle-fest on the mic and nobody ever gets that serious about racing for real.

As for spending more money, nope. I already spent all of my money on tires and parts, etc. and now I am left holding my proverbial ____ in my hand. Sure would have been nice to know earlier that Tamiya had no intention of running this class at the nats. Oh well, have fun at the race... I'll go play golf.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Good to hear you'll be joining us, Gary! I'm sure Doc will be stocking up on LW Suspension parts for you. Oh wait, he's only packing the mini!

My GT1 entry is in da mail. Gonna be fun. Stocking up on inserts now.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Let's see:
One Mini (check)
Radio (check)
One charger (check)
One practice battery (check)
One set of tires (check)
Tool kit (check)
Sun block (check)
Sunglasses (check)
Corkscrew (check)
Gigantic box of LW suspension parts for Gary (check)

Okay, I'm all ready for the NATS!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fraz
Tamiya Japan killed f201 for trips 2 years ago and same with Mini. Hasn't seemed to stop the minis though and now they're back in, and expanding. Like you said, Fremont had nearly 2 full heats and there was close to 3 full heats at the nats last year. That sounds like there is still plenty of interest to me. I understand the popularity of the car sucks in various regions but it is a great class and everybody at TCS loved to watch the exciting battles with tons of ooohs and aaahhhs. Can the same be said for the 8000 lame heats of past champions? I think not. Typically it is a heckle-fest on the mic and nobody ever gets that serious about racing for real.

As for spending more money, nope. I already spent all of my money on tires and parts, etc. and now I am left holding my proverbial ____ in my hand. Sure would have been nice to know earlier that Tamiya had no intention of running this class at the nats. Oh well, have fun at the race... I'll go play golf.
The writing on the wall has probably been there for this class since the F201 started. Some of the key signs were cost in upkeep, no local tracks really established a continual class, F1 purists and it pissed off many switching from a 2wd to 4wd car. I have considered the F1 class as a temporary class, even though it has been in all the Nationals. Mini although it has more of a staying power locally, is straddling the fence of being a temporary class. I always fear the moment I buy a newer mini they will come out with a M05 4wd one making all the other ones obsolete.

I advised a friend to sell his F201 in May stating that it is on a fast decline and he should take advantage of TCS racers buying it off ebay. If you do that take the cash and invest it in a TA05 or TA05R. You can run it locally and have 3 classes to choose from at the regionals.

The Chumps race I think is needed to keep those guys in coming back. If I were a lucky winner there would be nothing to draw me back to Cali for TCS or the Nats. So don't discount it too much, I think there is a value in keeping past winners involved in the series.

Anyways I hope you do well in Golf and be sure to visit us on TCS Nats weekend.

Jeff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.