Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
You can run all three batteries and motors if you can figure out how to mount them on your car at the same time.
Easy! TA03 Pro, with front and rear motor setup, and two battery setup. Needs no modification, simply a combonation of parts from the 03F and 03R!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

ANDREW,

A little confident are we ? GT1 is very competitive at TCS and GT2 is very competitive as well. Enter the TCS and see how well you can do.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
AWK
Tech Master

I am not trying to come off as confident to be honest. I expect to get my butt handed to me the first few races, but am trying to find out what I may enjoy the most. At this point I would be happy qualifiying and finished one race just to learn how it works. I will be thre Sunday to watch and learn. Sorry for coming off like a cocky SOB

P.S. reread the previous post I made and realize I used "competitive" when I meant and should have said "fun". All racing is competitive and it made me sound like an ass. Sorry about that. I was wondering which class tends to be more fun between the two. I already edited my previous post as well to reflect that

Last edited by AWK; 07-17-2006 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Andrew the only thing to rememmber for TCS is that the MSX is only going to be legal for GT1. That said the car is an excellent car in GT1, 2 or 3 for regular club racing. We have 6-7 that run on a regular basis in GT3 on Wednesdays as SIR.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Andrew,
Really any class you enter will be very competitive. Some thing I have noticed between 3 classes;

GT1 - Usually you have to be right on the money as far as setup goes and as the days conditions change.You have noticed this with your msx setup. If you are a little off with your setup, you may endup breaking more than you can race.

GT2 - You can come close to GT1 speeds. Again setup is important but you don't have have the ragged edge stress of chasing a GT1 car as conditions change. I usually find the changes much simpler.

GT3 - Much less stress compared to GT1 and GT2. The motors have less torque and it becomes more of a momentum and driving race. If you find a good setup usually you don't have to chase it all day, you might stiffen the springs a little but usually that is about it. The important thing with this class is motor break-in.

Kinda my experience with these 3 classes in a nutshell. I used to always run GT1 and GT2 now I am running GT2 and GT3. I feel more relaxed and not as stressed out

Jeff
Old 07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Thanks for the advice! My whole reasoning for buying the MSX was I needed to upgrade from my TA04R. It was going to cost the same to get a well hopped up TA05 as it was for the MSX so I figured I can use the MSX so many different places it is worth a shot, and if I don't like it, I can go back to the GT2 style setup.

I have never gotten my GT2 close to GT1 times to be honest. When they run on Saturdays with 19T motors and I am running the 27T, I get killed. I got frustrated since I thought my car felt good but could never tell how good since there were no other GT2 cars around. Sometimes I worried it felt good and stable because I was too slow
Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Diffuser,
Are you coming to Aliso for the 7/23 and the Nationals, Bruce and I had a great time @ SIR back in April. We are planning to make that race every year "Great Track"

It will be a interesting race in GT2 with the "Black Can Motors" emphasis on "Motor Management".

The Bridgestone tire engineers will be working overtime in that 150+ degree track temp @ Tamiya ??

Steve
Old 07-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Andrew,
If you were churning 19 lap I would think you would be ok for GT2. Usually GT1 & GT3 is a lap +/- respectively. Although with the sport tuned motors in Aug that will be interesting.

Steve,
I probably should shave off my hair when it comes to Handout Friday.
3 motors and 3 batteries to get ready... I might have to hire a pit crew to help get me on the track. . .
Old 07-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Should be easy to get ready.

You cant do anything to the battery but change the connector and motors can only be run in nothing else. Easier this year than any other time.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Steve I'll be down for Nats only. Troy is coming down for the last regional though.

Glad to hear you guys had a good time at SIR. Turnout was the largest we have had in the NW. We have been steadily building numbers at the track and should have even better comp next year for TCS.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hickmeister

It will be a interesting race in GT2 with the "Black Can Motors" emphasis on "Motor Management".

Steve
well said... I love the smell of epoxy cooking in the morning...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:11 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Andrew,
If you were churning 19 lap I would think you would be ok for GT2. Usually GT1 & GT3 is a lap +/- respectively. Although with the sport tuned motors in Aug that will be interesting.
Well the GT1 guys are running 19t and MSXs while I had been running a 27 turn Epic in a 04R and there was no way I could A) keep any sort of pace and B) tell how good my pace was.

I have heard about the +/- lap thing before but can never tell out practicing on Saturdays.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Hey FMW, fantastic job on the rules for the nats!!! No better way to level the field than the "amp draw law" and the "no touchee batteree" rule. How about racing on a dry track? (I can only imagine the volume of phone calls and e-mails.)

bruce
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Fred,
When are the signups for the nats open up??
Great job on the rules!!!
thanks
M.Masters
Old 07-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarKing
Well the GT1 guys are running 19t and MSXs while I had been running a 27 turn Epic in a 04R and there was no way I could A) keep any sort of pace and B) tell how good my pace was.

I have heard about the +/- lap thing before but can never tell out practicing on Saturdays.
One thing you could do is have someone time your laps, take your best lap and see how many laps it will get you in a 5 minute race. You could also take your best lap and subtract 3/10 to 5/10ths off your best lap and calculate that into a 5 min race to get sort of an average idea.

There are many ways to get ideas, many guys have stopwatches and are willing to take times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.