Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Uh, what you do to get a charge out of your batteries is your own business there Kevin...

I'm talking about altering packs, not using them for kinky sex games, but different strokes for different folks. Just look at Chris

Since someone else has done it the last 2 years I figure I'll do it this year....

PREDICTION TIME!

F1 Top 3

GT1 Top 3

GT2 Top 3

Mini Top 3
F1 - Nobody, because F1 is not a class this year. There are only five classes per the rules: GT-1, Gt-2, Mini (all Japan prizes classes), Past Champs, and Tam Tech-Gear.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FMW
1. Past champs. No Subaru's I will probably ban one -way for past stumps
2. Batteries will be Tamiya GP 3300 stick packs.
3. I have to do more testing on the motor amp rule 1.2 is too low.
4. Doc. How big of a hole do you have to drill to get a probe in??????
5. Rod! Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm your Huckleberry!
Re query #4: I, like Doc, have also used a "Frankenstein" like contraption to equalize stick packs. I have cut a small slot at each battery junction, the slot is the width of a battery bar (maybe 1/3") x 1/16" (the thickness of a battery bar). I use a battery bar as the probe that is stuck between the cells. To do this, you also have to have a slot or whole on the tail end of the pack to access that cell joinder.

While I have done this Frankenstein thing in the past, and it does help the battery in the long run, for simplicity sake you may want to just require that the battery remain as is, no holes, no removal of caps, just allow the plug end to be changed or removed. Those that really want to direct solder in the battery could then do so by simply soldering the intact leads from the battery to a bare leads from the ESC. (not a particularly neat appearance, but if someone really insists on a no plug approach, they have that option.) That would leave one less thing to worry about in tech inspection.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow... TCS is getting harder and more complicated.

My opinion (yes my opinion only so pls don't burn me...) if you are very very knowledgable in r/c and got out of this world skills to do crazy fancy things to your battery in order for it to perform better (or even far superior) than the regular guys' untouched/unmolested battery. I think... you're in the wrong class. Maybe you ought to consider running in GT1... that way you can "Frankenstein" your batts all you want...

Spec class should be spec... that's exactly the way all the past winners raced in Japan (yes, even the original battery connector should be used there). Maybe the US can treat "Spec" racing the same way...
Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I thought about the stock connector. My only fear is the track is very hot now. Besides the hottie that's been running her 415MSX lately.
Anyway, I see melting the connector is these current conditions. But you know I will test the old connector just to see for curiosity sake.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:33 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Attention TCS regional racers for July 23rd @ Tamiya America headquarters! The online registration form was down for a few days and we ask that you check below to make sure you are entered. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. All you need to do if you do not see your name below is to re-enter on the online registration section of the website.

Hey guys. Please go to the Tamiya USA web page to make sure you guys are entered. We had some issues the last few days.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default my two cent's worth

The battery rule is great, please don't gut it by allowing modifications. A small hole for a probe is no big deal, but the Tamiya connectors should be used as it! If you allow modifications, guys will grind away and the pit talk will not be positive.

I'm biased, because I use plain old Tamiya connectors for both practice and TCS race sessions. My 19-turn motor had plenty of zip. Additionally, on race day, I was able to loan batteries to newbies that were having problems.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Please no tamiya connector in the heat!!!!!!
I hate replacing those thing..
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

I vote vote no to the Tamiya connectors, I would not want to replace them after every run. . . I have had many problems with them due to heat. . .
Old 07-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default TCS Nationals

Hi Fred,
Great Job on the Rules this year! Just a couple ?'s

1.) How much $ will the 3300 stick packs be?
2.) How much $ will the Black Can Motors be?
3.) Can you enlarge the air hole in the wheel in GT2?

I vote to just be able to change the Connector on the Spec 3300 Battery pack for GT2.

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Fred posted above two times that you cannot enlarge the airhole.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

"The Tamiya Branded GP 3300 Mah NIMH stick pack will be the spec battery used for the finals. The stock battery plugs may be changed. A Maximum of 3 batteries may be TECHED for racing "

Can I run all three batteries at once?

-James
Old 07-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hickmeister
3.) Can you enlarge the air hole in the wheel in GT2?
Gt2 Rule#8
Adding or drilling holes in the wheels for extra insert ventilation is not allowed.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
"The Tamiya Branded GP 3300 Mah NIMH stick pack will be the spec battery used for the finals. The stock battery plugs may be changed. A Maximum of 3 batteries may be TECHED for racing "

Can I run all three batteries at once?

-James
You can run all three batteries and motors if you can figure out how to mount them on your car at the same time.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
You can run all three batteries and motors if you can figure out how to mount them on your car at the same time.
With out modifing or re-engineering the chassis.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
With out modifing or re-engineering the chassis.

How many zip ties can I use?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.