Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree824Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks everybody for the kind words. And thanks for all of the support from everyone. It's kind of a lot to take in when your standing on the driverstand and everybody is cheering you on. It is an underscribable feeling. Thanks!

Right now, I'm sitting at my office with a perma-grin while I catch up on email and requests....

Once again, thanks to EVERYONE!

Last edited by rtypec; 09-29-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rod,

Great job! Now get ready to throw it down in Japan, make us proud!!!

Steve Wang
Old 09-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Is the perma grin from the Acer girl or the win haha

Good job have fun it was great seeing everybody again hopefully all us "has been's" put on a good show
Old 09-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SpeedTech
Rod,

Great job! Now get ready to throw it down in Japan, make us proud!!!

Steve Wang
In addition to throwing it down on the track, Rod is going to throw it down in soapland! Go get it ROD! WOOHOOO!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Rod and I were just gonna skip the race and go rent some Skylines and go on a mad shopping spree. I'm going to practice my drifting technique tonight too.

Jus kiddin! We will represent! I hear the Japanese really love their local racers so hopefully we can get a little support here Stateside.

Wanna thank Dan Garber for already giving me set-ups and pointers for the next big race and I also want to thank Tamiya staff and company for giving us this GREAT venue to compete in- something not too many R/C companies do!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default Mini Class

What type of chassis won the mini class?Any setup info?How about pics? Thanks and great job Gentlemen!!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Word from the guys that went last year was to have a different body each around of practice/mains to confuse the locals. It's going to be hard enough for the guys to drive on carpet, but when the locals key on ya, some of them might "take one for the team". Good luck in J-Land, and have fun!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Mini

03L Dave Weir was on a tear

1st 03L
2nd 03
3rd 03L

Mike and Rod enjoy the 30hr day on the way over
Old 09-29-2003, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

He said soapland. It's cheaper to just go to Rapungi and buy someone a drink and it sounds a whole lot better when you tell us all about it!
Gai-jen= No soapland
Old 09-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

It's about time the fwd cars[m03L/m03]won the nationals. I personally own a m03L and was glad to hear it got first. Any setups from the mini drivers?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think Larry said it best: The TCS Nats is really a big family reunion, and now that there is a past champion's class, we get to see the members of the family we haven't seen in years.

Rod, great running all weekend. Maybe next time you'll believe me when I say things to you.

Mike, you had a great car all weekend. I just wish I wasn't looking at the rear bumper the whole time

Stevie, Stevie, Stevie.... It took an open-wheel sedan, but you are the new man in F1. All the F103 guys are so proud of you man. And now that there is a has been, er, past champion class you have no excuse to not keep racing at the nats.

Dave, You've been the man on carpet with your mini for a long time, but you proved you've got the asphalt thing down pat as well.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by MikeR
Rod and I were just gonna skip the race and go rent some Skylines and go on a mad shopping spree. I'm going to practice my drifting technique tonight too.

Jus kiddin! We will represent! I hear the Japanese really love their local racers so hopefully we can get a little support here Stateside.

Wanna thank Dan Garber for already giving me set-ups and pointers for the next big race and I also want to thank Tamiya staff and company for giving us this GREAT venue to compete in- something not too many R/C companies do!

any one down for a Day at Yatabe Arean when you come... hehehehe Rod hit me up before you come out
might have to bring my fishs' out to play there for a day if you can make it up to the Tokyo Area..

-Dave
Old 09-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default TCS mini setup

For those who were interested in the mini setup that won:

M-03L
A compound tires front and rear
Front inserts: tamiya Blue 24 mm sedan shaped insert, cut to size, surrounded by Tamiya black foam sedan insert, cut to size, all stuffed in the tire (thanks to last year's champ Dan Garber for the tip of stuffing the front tires for roll speed.)
Rear inserts: Tamiya hard shaped inserts
(This insert combination gave great roll speed through the corners)

Shocks: Mini CVA shocks, one o-ring internal front and rear.
Front: 100 weight, 3 hole
Rear: 70 weight, 1 hole
Springs: short hard on road springs (not the original softer set) For Sunday, went from hard blue (which worked great in the heat of practice, but created too much traction roll in the cool damp conditions on Sunday) to hard yellow front and rear. I had tried as hard as the white front and rear in practice, but that setup was a bit too stiff in the heat of the day and caused a bit of rear wheel hop around the sweeper. White's on Sunday would have been a roll over disaster. (All week practice was cool am, but with warm and sunny afternoons with track temp around 115. Sunday was very cool and damp throughout the day, no sun to heat up the track.)

Ride height: 4 mm front, 7 mm rear

TA-02 ball diff (Manta ray), but with lightweight diff plates hop up option (lightest diff to use in a mini)

Dual rate 50%

I started out the practice week using S-grips with hard inserts up front and thought it was a pretty good stable set up, but Dan Garber suggested that the set up, while hooked, was scrubbing off speed in the corners. The switch to the the a compounds up front stuffed full increased that roll speed. The change allowed me to decrease dual rate from about 80% to 50%.

My motor peaked in the 2nd round of qualifying, which was the only round to see sub 19 second laps (18.7).

Many thanks to Tamiya for the great series. Too bad it is not a Japan trip this year, but it was still great fun and had some great prizes (Surikarn Evo 3, set up board, GT7) and the same trophy the other class winners received. Actually, my wife is happy it was not a Japan eligible class!

Note to Tamiya: even though this was not a Japan eligible class, it is a class to keep in the North American Finals. Great turnout (40), great competition, and big smiles from all who turned out to compete. Mini is always the most "laid back" class, with great competition and fun. At my local track (S&N Trackside, Brookfield WI) the mini class is always good laid back fun. Just because you won't be sending the winner to Japan does not mean you should eliminate the class for the North American finals, or from the TCS Series. The re-release of the Alfa body (now on the m-04 chassis with the chassis extender removed) should mean that the rear drive small tire mini should return to TCS legal competition.

David Weir
Old 09-30-2003, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default TCS Nats

Congrats to Dave and all of the winners this past weekend. All of us from Trackside had a great time and are all talking about making the trip again next year.

All of the mains were exciting and the sportsmanship during the mains were all proof that this series brings out the cream of the crop when it comes to our hobby.

Thanks to Fred, Dave, Jenna, Gary and the rest of the crew at Tamiya.

Thanks to Charlie for the great announcing, introducing us to Dromo 1 and taking the time to show us around. You are proof that you can take the man out of the mid-west but you cant take the mid-west out of the man!

Thanks to MoshMike (Chow Fan) because without his help (and Patience) I would not have been able to race as well as i did. I owe ya one!!! Hope you got your sack home ok. and remember those arent pillows!!

and finally to the members of TAOB, you guys are what the hobby is all about. I didn't get meet you all, but i saw your interaction with my brother (Scotty) and the other people there at the track. Keep up with what your doing. You're a great bunch of guys!

I too agree, let the Mini's stay. This class is all about the fun that can be had in RC. I think the turn out shows that the interest in the class is there, even if it isnt a Japan class.

Now that I am home and depressed because it is 40 degrees, I have a ton of pictures to go through (soon to be posted on Trackside.com ) .
The clock is ticking for the next TCS Nats. Let the planning begin!!!

See you all next year!
Jeff

Last edited by Big Daddy Boomer; 09-30-2003 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Enclosed is a picture of 1 of the cool things about the trip. The hotel brought some tables outside for us on friday night for our last minute preparations. With the help of our room lamps we sat out by the pool and thrashed. Ahhh 65 degrees, a pool and palm trees. LIFE WAS GOOD!!!

Last edited by Big Daddy Boomer; 09-14-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.