Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well Practice starts tomorrow here at Trackside. Good luck to everyone who is racing. The rally track is done and is AWESOME! Stop by and say hey to me, I'll be downstairs.

Hope everyone has fun!
Boomer
Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
I love the internet & RCtech.

I would like to thank Ultimate Hobbies, Speedtech RC and Tower Hobbies for supplying me with an awesome onlne shopping experience AND those wicked fast 19T motors for the Nats.

Additionally EA, Trinity and Reedy for having great products that available at your local hobbyshop. They were available at mine

If I only had as many of the Sponsors that Chris Lim has in his signature ; I might have WON. Oh well, probably NOT. Mr. Lewis was dialed ALL YEAR long.

Many of us will never reach nor will we want to be a factory driver. I guess we can at least be a Sportsman. That is, enjoy hanging out, wrenching on the cars and answer that question from on-lookers of, "how fast does that go???!!!"
i guess you havent figured it out yet mark... i get my discounts because i can sell ice cubes to eskimos not because of my driving!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Chris I have heard of this mythical trip that you are coming to Seattle before. If and I repeat IF it does happen yeah I got a room for you to crash at. I'll even give you the buck 20 trip to the track that Juan got last year. I think it added some momentum to his TA04 at the track.......

BTW I'll be chasing you back down to SoCal that next week Kris, the kids and I are all going to D-Land for the week and I am going to stay Saturday for TamiyaCon too.

Whip is flat fast he has had technology on his side before but he also knows how to set up a car for cornerspeed. I got a chance to run him in a Regional the year I won TCS, I got him but it was a great fight in the quals. We also got to be friends and he passed on some valuable data for me to take to Japan too.
For anyone out there don't be shy to ask any of the Past Champs for our secrets or tips. I can't put a number to all the people I have helped because they asked. It is also a good part of TCS to have access to those who have been where you want to go........
dude... after all the family events in my life. i need a break. this seattle trip will happen even if it means im driving up by myself! ill contact you and troy about my flight plans as soon as i get them finalized. right now my sister is giving me 47k in freq. flier miles gotta use it somewhere.

plus i keep hearing about korey's mom's cooking. i gotta try it for myself.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default collect to race

Four hole cans, type b tires, Eunos bodies. One of the frustrating rules about parts usage is that a part has to be available in the US if you want to use it in the US. Of course if a part was released in the US but it has been discontinued for the last 9 years its still legal. Just look at all the people collecting type B sedan tires for the big race last year. You could not even get them from the homeland(discontinued) but they were still legal. Its always going to be a part of the TCS and you just have to accept it and enjoy yourself.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Ah, silvercans........
That's the down side to the silver can class......There's ALWAYS someone with a faster motor, or at least that's how you feel sometimes. So how do you fix it? Do what I did and run GT1. That way you'll have more power than you can possibly handle right off the LHS shelf. So when you get beat all you can say is "maybe those guys are just better drivers".
All I know is, we have locals who happened to find these 4 slot motors in the archive of R/C memorabilia they have at home, and they blow away the current Johnson & Mabuchi. I've run the Current sport tuned motor against it and it is practically dead on, if its a 27T then it has some timing in it, I know the sport tuned is a 23T. I need one of the locals to Dyno them both. I was excited about the Silver Can class until my first TCS race, I liked it because it was more about driving than equipment. But all it took was that first race to show me how naive I was in thinking that. Minimadman, I think I will try GT1 next year, or mabye they will offer brushless, I guess I'll have to hold on to my Lathe. At least that way your right, I won't have to worry about motor because I'll have more than I need, and it will be more about setup and driving. It just really anger's me. I know what to tell people when they ask why those cars are faster, because they have a obscure motor that is allowed because it has a silver can, and not disqualified because of the internals are way beyond what comes in the "Kit".
Old 03-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Four hole cans and two hole cans are all 27 turn motors, but I think the 4 holes have the POTENTIAL to be faster because they are better balanced. However, several of my faster motors are 2 hole cans.

If you want to go fast with a Johnson/Buchi, here's the secret: buy a box of motors. New, used, whatever. Dyno all of them to determine which ones are 'naturally' fastest, then break 'em in for days at a time. Yes, that's right, run them on an old PC power supply at five volts for five or six days. Day and night. Just oil the bushings before you go to bed and again when you leave for work, and set a fan on it to keep it cool. At the end of the week you'll have a pretty good motor that should last you the season. Do that with five or six motors with high potential and you'll have at least one or two that freaking sing.

Now take the slower motors and give 'em to the kids in the neighborhood.

Word to the wise: the white endbell Mabuchis were made in several formats, including 20 and 23 turn as well as 27 turn. So if you get waxed by someone with a really old white endbell motor...

See you all at Trackside!
Later
Doc
Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Mabuchi.

I went into the local hobby shop the other day and the owner had purchased a old Tamiya truck from a customer that had stored it in his attic for years. The truck was barely used and it had two almost new white endbell mabuchi's still installed. I could not get him to sell them because he collects Tamiya's and wanted the originals.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Most of it boils down to driving and setup. I watched the mini's, specifically Whippler's car and his radio inputs.. He only had to lift on one section of the track. That was it! To top that off his mini did not scrub in the corners while the throttle was pinned. It's all about corner speed.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:09 PM

Boys, Boys, Boys...... Let me tell you a few stories out of the TCS archieves.

Did you EVER notice the same guys are ALLWAYS fast? Doesn't matter what class, chassis or motor type. What have they in their arsinal that others don't? Is is tallent, chassis set-up, skills, a special driving finese or flat cheating? I have been on both sides of this fence over my limited years of TCS.

Is it the best LEGAL motor, chassis bearings, batteries, chassis set-up, smooth driving style, electronics, radio, diet, mental prep, etc. in ultimate combination (read "due care, drive, passion, attention to detail, obsesive/ compulsive behavior or the all-out desire to be the best they and their preperation can be) or SIMPLE CHEATING?

The reason the same folks allways rise to the top year after year is they just want it more and are willing to learn and prepare to win more than the others. That's my simple opinion.

It is substantiated FACT that before rubber tire F-103 (foam with NO tire additive rules) all but one National champion did not BEND the rules a bit to win the championship. I won't tell which one to protect the reputation of all, but I was there and listened, heard, observed and inspected them all. Was it my job to turn a fun event into a pi$$ing match and fiasco? I think not. I chose to hone my skills, improve my skills and find what class best fit my meager abilities. But I digress....

The simple fact is when I don't win (OK, loose), I learned a long time ago to congratulate the winner and then look within to see how I could improve my skills and equipment. I only have one National Championship in R/C racing. I am not the best man on most days, but I don't fall into the trap and cast the cheating accusation on those who best me. It IS possible to improve your total package with knowledge and practice to the point where even if someone does cheat, they are beatable.

Good luck to all at TRACKSIDE. I'll watch the internet for the results.

Radar....ping.....

PS, if you cheat and loose, you must really suck!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well said Doc. .......I`ll beat em all with one hand. I`ll see you in Frederick on the 18th...........................................
Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Radar all good points

the year I won Mini I had a 23t motor then I didn't, then I had a Japanese special gearbox 1 of 3 ever made. Then I didn't. then I had something else forget what that was then I didn't. I also had some mojo witchdoctor killing chickens at the hotel. Someoen forgot to give him a bed and a key as I never saw him. All because my car was lapping the field at the 2.5min mark.

What I did have was a car that was so freakin anally built and about 9 months of obsessing over that I just drove the thing and it was fast. At the end Beale tore the car down and I got a pile of parts back and a National Championship all with a killer trip to Japan.

For those who swear on the cheating to quote Radar

"congratulate the winner and then look within to see how I could improve my skills and equipment"

For the rest have fun at Trackside this weekend for those coming to Seattle in about a months time we'll see you here and look forward to a fun TCS on indoor asphalt.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation JM2

The 2006 TCS ranting and raving season has offically started, let the whining begin! Every year, it's the same old, same old "Joe Soandso was soooo much faster than me on the track, so therefore he must be cheating somehow". You really gotta love it...

Despite the "slow" speed (compared to a stock 27T or 19T mod motor), running a "silvercan" class is not for the faint of heart. When I ran my first "practice" GT-3 race at the local race, I was constantly getting lapped by the fast guys and thinking to myself. "what's their secret"? Voodoo motor tuning? "B" tires? Special "factory team" batteries? As I've gotten a little better, I have been able to a keep closer pace with them. The secret? Being able to keep the car "at [full] speed" through the corners. As soon as you get off the gas with a silvercan, your race is basically over. The best way to do this? Practice, practice, race, practice, race...

As far as "tricks" to getting more speed out of a mini and GT-3 sedan? Personally, I put more stock in a good set of bearings (ie: ceramic) and car setup, than some of the other crazy things that I've heard out there. Silvercan motor break-in tips get posted here all of the time, so it's not really a "secret" anymore. Are a set of B tires than has been sitting on a hot, dusty shelf for four years (or more) in some overseas hobby shop really better that a freshly manufactured set of B3's? Perhaps, perhaps not.

There's also non-silvercan classes like GT-1, GT-2 (regional), and F-1 think about running too.

I think the biggest "problem" with the TCS series is the "illusion" that an average, or even an above average driver can win the car kit (regional), or a free trip to Japan (national). The fact is, that if you're not a front runner in the "expert" class at you local track, there's a good chance that you'll never make the "A" main at the Nats (and have to drive your rump off just to make it into the "B"). Tamiya certainly encourages drivers of all skill levels to participate in the TCS events, but this series is not "all about" sending a sportsman class driver all the way to Japan, to compete with some of the world's fastest r/c racers.

TC
Old 03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's all about running a class that allow a motor that you like to tune. If you don't feel like having to run a mabuchi motor non-stop for a week straight, then the answer is obvious...run stock! I personally HATE stock motors. I was never good at finding horsepower, soooooooo, I run 19 turn! Was it really a suprise that Whippler won Mini in Cinci? C'mon, the guy lives, breathes, and sleeps it! Seriously, it's time to move on.

It's the right combination of EVERYTHING guys, batteries with awesome numbers (yes, most of the fast guys are running batteries that the average Joe won't have..don't deny it guys!), SKILL, motor tuning, and most of all: driving talent. TCS to me is all about the people. I look more forward these days to seeing old faces, than about winning. (sure, it's always nice to win too). Sorry I could not make Scotty's race. I have a family now, and they take top shelf to racing. Two weekends in a row is like an eternity to a five and ten year old. I hope Tamiya does not make the same mistake next year scheduling two great TCS races back to back.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'll go on record as saying I brought some serious ponies to the race and although I do blame no practice for sme of my lackluster performance, I got flat out outdriven. I told Mark if he ran my pack and my motor, he would have put TQ another 2 or 3 seconds away. I know this because i almost @$$ packed him on every straight in qualifying!! Funny thing-was after he lapped me-I turned my fastest laps following him!! HHHmmm........

Yup-you got to get yout stuff together and all that that entails.

btw-my packs and motor are good, bit nothing anyone couldnt buy. 1.201 voltage EA IB3800 and a C2.

I just cannot believe people who are getting there doors blown off cannot get a grip on the fact their car didnt have enough steering or no corner speed and they flat out cannot drive as good as they think.

I see it every week at the Gate!! Some guys are just that darn good!! And since rubber tire carpet is a bit of a special sort of racing, some will excell at it.

Ray
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

some good points......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.