Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Are you talking about Eli Ezra the guy that runs for the Serpent Nitro team? He should not even be running TCS..............
Here we go, batter up!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

To all the guys (and gals) who are running at Trackside this weekend, good luck and have fun out there!!! Thank you for the tips and offers of help too. Things didn't work out for me, being able to take off time from work to run this race. Perhaps in one of the years to come. Oh well, it's only four months to the Hobbytown Fremont in June, then Tami HQ in July, and the Nats in August...

TC
Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Eli ran one tcs race last year, before he became a sponsored driver. Hope this clears that up. Now onward.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Are you talking about Eli Ezra the guy that runs for the Serpent Nitro team? He should not even be running TCS..............
Eli Ezrow was in contact with Fred before the event and cleared to be OK to race. Eli did nothing wrong. Eli in fact contacted me before the race to see how to get ahold of someone at TA to see if he could run or not. He was completely up front and honest with the race directors. One of the reasons he ran was that WOH is his home track and he wanted to help support the track and the event. Eil is the least of the problems as far as guys who are sponsored running TCS. There are others who have received or are receiving full rides from manufacturers, electronics companies, motor and battery companies, etc that are allowed to run for one reason or another. Those are the people who should be out of the series.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

The TCS is turning out to have all sponsored drivers, who moonlight with another car company to try and win a sportsman race.

At the Nationals alot of guys were sponsored this is not fair to the sportsman drivers who receive no support from anyone

The TCS rules need to be revised to help out the common sportsman drivers and not let the sponsored drivers win everything.

Or,

Just allow sponsored drivers

Last edited by lbckevin; 03-02-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

My understanding was that the rules were more to keep the big-league sponsored guys on salary out. Small sponsorships for batteries, motors, tires, etc. really don't play a major role at TCS events, especially in the Nats where the motors were handouts and the tires were all Tamiya.

But even so, as long as the sponsored guys don't take the prize (if they win) and give it to the next guy down, who gets hurt? In Cinci it was really great seeing the past champs hand the kits down. And the GT2 prize, a TT-01R, eventually found it's way to the hands of a spectator/potential spec racer. You couldn't wipe the smile off of her face!

I'm in no way sponsored, but I for one enjoy the TCS atmosphere, and would love the opportunity to race elbow to elbow with the sponsored guys and/or past champs at TCS events. It gives you a feel for where you stack up. The TCS is about having run, right? The prize is secondary. Seriously, why would I spend $1000+ on tires, motors, batteries, hotel, etc. just to win a $150 car kit? I would have been $900 ahead if I just stayed home and bought that TB02R.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
John- Chris is right, it's a legal mod in order to fit 3700's (and similar sized cells) in a TA04 chassis. All you have to do is remove a little from the sides of the chassis in the battery mounting area. Doesn't take much and it's been approved by Uncle Fred. BTW, that was a SCORCHIN' run you had Sunday at WOH. Just beautiful.

Jeff- As difficult as the switch has been, I'm going to try and stick with my decision to move to GT1 for this season...but it's painful. Got my lovely TA04 ready to run on the shelf (a car I've been able to pretty much toss down on any track in the series for the past several years and be reasonably competitive right out of the chute), as well as a fully pimped TA05 that's never seen the track. So for now I'll simply admire how well you and the rest of the GT3 guys are driving, and figure out a way to pay for all of these parts I'm going through

Later
Doc
Doc,I would like another four hole from you before TCS on 3-18 if possible
Old 03-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Angry

While we are on the subject, I want to express my disappointment in the rules being enforced. Not just having sponsered drivers, but in relating to what I like to race, the Silver can races, This is the second year I have done the TCS, and my first experience was quite frustrating for me and a few others who were new. I love running the M03, but after last year I was really upset. There were a couple of ppl who just blew everyone away in speed, we couldn't quite figure it out, but eventually found out that they are using a motor they don't make anymore, a Johnson brand motor which has 4 slots in the can. You can't buy it anymore, you can only find it in really old Tamiya kits. I researched and got specs on this motor, it is essentially a 23 turn motor equivelent to the Current Black Sport Turned made by Mabuchi. This is really unfair in my opinion and does a disservice to the TCS race for ppl who are able to get these motors and get away with using them against everyone else who is there to race in the TCS spirit. It is essentially cheating, just to be better than the others who are running the current lot of Silver cans. I wasn't too impressed with the Teching process either, the guy just did a quick glance, who knows what other things ppl were getting away with.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gibsoneb
While we are on the subject, I want to express my disappointment in the rules being enforced. Not just having sponsered drivers, but in relating to what I like to race, the Silver can races, This is the second year I have done the TCS, and my first experience was quite frustrating for me and a few others who were new. I love running the M03, but after last year I was really upset. There were a couple of ppl who just blew everyone away in speed, we couldn't quite figure it out, but eventually found out that they are using a motor they don't make anymore, a Johnson brand motor which has 4 slots in the can. You can't buy it anymore, you can only find it in really old Tamiya kits. I researched and got specs on this motor, it is essentially a 23 turn motor equivelent to the Current Black Sport Turned made by Mabuchi. This is really unfair in my opinion and does a disservice to the TCS race for ppl who are able to get these motors and get away with using them against everyone else who is there to race in the TCS spirit. It is essentially cheating, just to be better than the others who are running the current lot of Silver cans. I wasn't too impressed with the Teching process either, the guy just did a quick glance, who knows what other things ppl were getting away with.
Sorry to hear about your experience. I have been lucky to attend events where tech had a lot of focus on cars and equipment. Who was the Tamiya rep present?

As long as I have been racing, this is the first I have heard about the 4 slot can. Interesting.

I would guess all of the events going forth will have some greater scrutiny in regards to those motors.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The four hole can has always been a 27t motor. There is a difference you are correct on that part. The newer motors max out at about 13k whereas the older 4slot turned about 15k and the god motors turned about 16k. If you look around you can find the 4slots on ebay or in peoples parts boxes. One of our locals bought a 35 motor lot from ebay that was all 4 slots. Most were junk but he paid $17 for the entire lot. That is the cost of 1 new motor.....

As for Dawson and eligibility he was never in question according to Tamiya's own wording of the rules. Yes he received sponsorship from Losi, batteries and motors from Trinity BUT he had long given up the Losi sponsorship and they never flew him to races along with never receiving pay to race for them. It is grey on the others mentioned but same with them also. As far as I understand it they have never been a paid driver for those companies. The pay is Tamiya's qualifier.

As for Past Champs they do not pass the prize on down. None of us are eligible to win the car kits. We are allowed to race and enjoy the event but cannot take home the prizes that are meant for those who are competing for the possible chance of a trip to Japan. Personally I have raced the quals but do not race Mains as I do not want to knock a guy out of a possible top ten qualifying spot for the NA Finals or cause someone to lose a deserved placing in the Main.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Personally I have raced the quals but do not race Mains as I do not want to knock a guy out of a possible top ten qualifying spot for the NA Finals or cause someone to lose a deserved placing in the Main.
tell that to eeyan! he knocked me out of the A in last year's Aliso regional in GT2. but its my fault.. should have had better qual runs.

DG.. btw.. im coming up. got a room ready for me?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I love the internet & RCtech.

I would like to thank Ultimate Hobbies, Speedtech RC and Tower Hobbies for supplying me with an awesome onlne shopping experience AND those wicked fast 19T motors for the Nats.

Additionally EA, Trinity and Reedy for having great products that available at your local hobbyshop. They were available at mine

If I only had as many of the Sponsors that Chris Lim has in his signature ; I might have WON. Oh well, probably NOT. Mr. Lewis was dialed ALL YEAR long.

Many of us will never reach nor will we want to be a factory driver. I guess we can at least be a Sportsman. That is, enjoy hanging out, wrenching on the cars and answer that question from on-lookers of, "how fast does that go???!!!"
Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gibsoneb
I have not heard of that one.

Although recently I have been made aware of other ways to cheat which includes opening the cans, cutting the arms, replacing brushes, etc... When it is put back together it looks like factory spec. Will I ever do that to win a race, NO. My conscience would not let me get away with that. If a person was caught with a doctored motor they should be banned permanently.
I remember in the earlier days you could crank the stack twisting the com. Now the newer motors are com locked to avoid doing that.

This was the 1st year I ran GT3. Years ago I swore off running mabuchis because of the feelings you are going through. Over the winter months I decided to order up a bunch of mabuchis and figure out how to break them in. Everything I could think of I tried. The consensus seems to be alot of time and seating the brushes. To go fast like a few were in M03 it takes time and usually skill in figuring out their cars. If and I say if Whippler and the other guy were cheating then that is their life and conscience that will catch up to them. Usually it is the flip side, they spent more time and effort dialing in their mabuchi powered minis.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Ah, silvercans........

I know what you are going through, as I've been on both sides of this argument. I used to have a fast mini at my local track, and several guys thought I was cheating. That tore me up because I hadn't done anything with my motor but run it for 3 years straight. I never used comm drops, and was even using Dynamite stick packs! But one day a faster mini came around and I found myself saying that they had to be cheating. Talk about turning the tables.

That's the down side to the silver can class......There's ALWAYS someone with a faster motor, or at least that's how you feel sometimes. So how do you fix it? Do what I did and run GT1. That way you'll have more power than you can possibly handle right off the LHS shelf. So when you get beat all you can say is "maybe those guys are just better drivers".

I'm not saying there aren't any "special" silvercan motors out there, but you just have to realize that's a part of racing that will always be around. What's nice about the TCS nats is that you buy hand-out motors when you get there, so everyone starts on a level playing field.

But after watching that mini race in Cinci I have to say that Whippler and Casey were just flat out the class of the field. They both looked dialed, had plenty of speed, and ran clean lines. It was quite the show, but I was fortunate enough to watch it from the sidelines and not be on the track getting lapped by them. If that were the case, I might feel differently.

Don't let it discourage you. One day you may have that magic motor.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Chris I have heard of this mythical trip that you are coming to Seattle before. If and I repeat IF it does happen yeah I got a room for you to crash at. I'll even give you the buck 20 trip to the track that Juan got last year. I think it added some momentum to his TA04 at the track.......

BTW I'll be chasing you back down to SoCal that next week Kris, the kids and I are all going to D-Land for the week and I am going to stay Saturday for TamiyaCon too.

Whip is flat fast he has had technology on his side before but he also knows how to set up a car for cornerspeed. I got a chance to run him in a Regional the year I won TCS, I got him but it was a great fight in the quals. We also got to be friends and he passed on some valuable data for me to take to Japan too.
For anyone out there don't be shy to ask any of the Past Champs for our secrets or tips. I can't put a number to all the people I have helped because they asked. It is also a good part of TCS to have access to those who have been where you want to go........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.