Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree830Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayhuang
I would like to ask for one change on the rules or some enlightenment on why the rule is such. What I am talking about is having to cut the body on the cutlines. I showed up with my NSX cut perfectly around my wheels with the full wheel/tire showing. I was instructed and did without question or even a nasty look cut my wheel well out to the cutlines. Rules are rules!! But I got to tell you-the body looks like UTTER CRAP now. Who races any car with wheel wells 1/2 wider than the wheels. I am too embarrased to run the body even in a club race. $40 body-done.

I bet theres no changing this rule-eh??

Ray
Tamiya rule #6 All bodies must be painted and must be cut along the trim lines. No extra vents or holes may be added to the body. (In the F-1 class the top air scoop may be drilled for cooling)

It's not so bad with the tub cars becuase there's not a whole lot you can do with wheelbase. But on the 415's and Evo's, I feel your pain.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice race, thanks for the hospitality, great to see all those familiar faces again and some new ones.
Tom great place to race, new track and pit spots rock

thanks to Dish for the reverse set up advise !

See you all in Fredrick, just got done doing the new layout today, check out the pics

Casey
Old 02-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have NO complaints from the weekend other than my driving cause my car was a rocket. I too would like to give a big THANK YOU to WOH and to Tamiya USA. I looked forward to this event since last year and was not dissapointed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tamiya TCS

I would like to ask for one change on the rules or some enlightenment on why the rule is such. What I am talking about is having to cut the body on the cutlines. I showed up with my NSX cut perfectly around my wheels with the full wheel/tire showing. I was instructed and did without question or even a nasty look cut my wheel well out to the cutlines. Rules are rules!! But I got to tell you-the body looks like UTTER CRAP now. Who races any car with wheel wells 1/2 wider than the wheels. I am too embarrased to run the body even in a club race. $40 body-done.

I bet theres no changing this rule-eh??

Ray
Ray,
To clarify, the reason for that rule is that in the past, people were cutting out the entire back of the body, they were cutting above the rocker lines and generally changing the appearance of the bodies. The whole concept that Tamiya was built on is scale realism, that has always been the attraction to me anyways. There are plenty of places to race cheated bodies( ie: not to true scale) but this is not one of them. TCS is starting to move toward the typical racing event which IMO may not be the best thing for it, but then again times do change.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Coming from carpet foam, this was the absolute most fun I've ever had at a race. I'm hooked so bad I just purchased 2 cars so I don't have to borrow from 4 different people this time With that being said I have a question... I notice that per the Tamiya rules you are not allowed to mill or modify the chassis in any way, shape or form. My issue is that I just purchased a TA04 and coming from carpet foams (we gotta have the best!) I only have 3800's. I read on one of the other forums that the 04 chassis could be milled to accommodate the larger cells. Is this true? If so, is this in writing? I want to be sure before I possibly ruin a chassis. I would be running any of the GT classes at any given race. Thanks again for the awesome event!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jrighter
Coming from carpet foam, this was the absolute most fun I've ever had at a race. I'm hooked so bad I just purchased 2 cars so I don't have to borrow from 4 different people this time With that being said I have a question... I notice that per the Tamiya rules you are not allowed to mill or modify the chassis in any way, shape or form. My issue is that I just purchased a TA04 and coming from carpet foams (we gotta have the best!) I only have 3800's. I read on one of the other forums that the 04 chassis could be milled to accommodate the larger cells. Is this true? If so, is this in writing? I want to be sure before I possibly ruin a chassis. I would be running any of the GT classes at any given race. Thanks again for the awesome event!
You will have to clarify with Tamiya, but I dont think it would be against the rules if it was to fit the cells in the chassis. That rule is to stop people from cutting the chassis all to hell. If you are going to run GT1 then there is no problem, because lightening is allowed
Old 02-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

BP Shadow-I figured that was the intent of the rule, but you have to admit a car with the wheel in the back of the wheel well and 1/2 to 3/4" of an inch of wheel well in front looks like a hack cut job. Same with the wheel centered in a wheel well, but gobs of daylight in front and behind the wheel. Thats the farthest thing from realistc looking road racing car.

This is nothing to keep me from running a TCS race-but its a rule that I feel needs ammended.

Ray
Old 02-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

BP Shadow-I figured that was the intent of the rule, but you have to admit a car with the wheel in the back of the wheel well and 1/2 to 3/4" of an inch of wheel well in front looks like a hack cut job. Same with the wheel centered in a wheel well, but gobs of daylight in front and behind the wheel. Thats the farthest thing from realistc looking road racing car.

This is nothing to keep me from running a TCS race-but its a rule that I feel needs ammended.

Ray
Ray,
Agreed, I think the problem is that the 415 is designed to the typical touring car body and not to the typical Tamiya body. I think that the xanavi skyline fit the best from what I saw. Are you going to Trackside?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tom and everyone at WOH did a fantastic job for being their Sophmore year! Like everybody else I have no complaints here... well except for the Hickman GT2 freight train and my looseness condition could not keep up with them...

It was great to see all the regulars again!

Looking forward to doing it again at Trackside!

rccardr are you going back to GT3?

Jeff
Old 02-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

5. Any Tamiya Hop-Op Option and spare part is allowed as long as it is used in the way it was designed, and on the vehicle it was designed for. Except for the GT1 class, it is strictly forbidden to cut, mill or lighten the chassis. It is strictly forbidden to re-engineer or modify the cars in any way other than with Tamiya Hop-Ups. (This applies to all classes)

If you run your TA04 in GT-1, you can mill it out the chassis. If you plan to run GT-2 or GT-3, it is not allowed.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah, I read that but I've also heard it was ok for the new cells. Does anyone have a contact at Tamiya that would be able to confirm?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

yeah, I read that but I've also heard it was ok for the new cells. Does anyone have a contact at Tamiya that would be able to confirm?
Unless it's posted on Tamiya's website in the TCS rules, it's not legal. Fred Medel at Tamiya would be the person to ask. He's at the corporate office in Alieso if you want to take the time but don't expect to see a change. If they allow modifying the chassis for bigger cells to fit in GT-2 & 3, then what about having to cut out the chassis so it is easier to get to the pinion, etc. Your hoping to take a black and white rule and make it grey to suit your needs.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

No, I'm not looking to change anything there slick. Simply asking a question. I am new to TCS and obviously want to verify before I go out and buy new packs. If I have to, it's no big deal. Tamiya does not sell batteries (at least not that I know of) so hopefully in the future they will modify the rule.

Last edited by jrighter; 02-28-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Unless it's posted on Tamiya's website in the TCS rules, it's not legal. Fred Medel at Tamiya would be the person to ask. He's at the corporate office in Alieso if you want to take the time but don't expect to see a change. If they allow modifying the chassis for bigger cells to fit in GT-2 & 3, then what about having to cut out the chassis so it is easier to get to the pinion, etc. Your hoping to take a black and white rule and make it grey to suit your needs.
kevin.. relax dude. fred said its legal to sand down the sides in order for the new cells to fit into the TA04 chassis. i know this because i asked him personally before nats because i was going to use the TA04 and he said its fine. he said "just dont over do it." (then the TA05 came out..and well..the rest is history... well not really the rest. just the my TA04. )
Old 02-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Chris. Would you happen to have an email address for Fred or phone number? I trust you but just would like to get an email or something for some proof just in case the issue ever comes up. I don't need to remove much material at all. If I had the plastic tub I'd just stick the darn thing in the oven on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes and stretch it
Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

John- Chris is right, it's a legal mod in order to fit 3700's (and similar sized cells) in a TA04 chassis. All you have to do is remove a little from the sides of the chassis in the battery mounting area. Doesn't take much and it's been approved by Uncle Fred. BTW, that was a SCORCHIN' run you had Sunday at WOH. Just beautiful.

Jeff- As difficult as the switch has been, I'm going to try and stick with my decision to move to GT1 for this season...but it's painful. Got my lovely TA04 ready to run on the shelf (a car I've been able to pretty much toss down on any track in the series for the past several years and be reasonably competitive right out of the chute), as well as a fully pimped TA05 that's never seen the track. So for now I'll simply admire how well you and the rest of the GT3 guys are driving, and figure out a way to pay for all of these parts I'm going through

Later
Doc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.