Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So the Hickmans are going taxi cab racing. Is the end of the world near or is running one class too boring? Good to hear from you Steve. I too am building a TA05 but mine wont debut till Trackside. I am preparing for GT3 but there is a slight chance that I might run GT2. I might add that I am converting my TA04 to an 05 . hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????????????????
Old 01-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Aw, c'mon Brad---- GT3? Do ya really wanna beat up on little old ladies and 10 year olds who are still munchin' on their fudgesickles??? Meet me in GT2. I'll be driving the the yellow 4-door wth the black and white checkers.....
Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doc
Aw, c'mon Brad---- GT3? Do ya really wanna beat up on little old ladies and 10 year olds who are still munchin' on their fudgesickles??? Meet me in GT2. I'll be driving the the yellow 4-door wth the black and white checkers.....
I've followed TCS but never run it. Hoping to change that soon.

Just wondering about the whole GT3 class. Isn't that more of a step up from Novice? Just seems like it's alot of younger people...then a handful of older people who should just race GT2 or 1.

Anyway not wanting to start trouble I'm just asking
Old 01-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
I've followed TCS but never run it. Hoping to change that soon.

Just wondering about the whole GT3 class. Isn't that more of a step up from Novice? Just seems like it's alot of younger people...then a handful of older people who should just race GT2 or 1.

Anyway not wanting to start trouble I'm just asking
I have raced GT1 and either GT2, F103, Lemans or Rally in the past years of racing TCS. They only allow 2 classes per person max. I decided to again run GT2 and switch GT1 to GT3. My reasoning is not to cherrypick novices, slap around old ladies or kids sucking on fudgesickles. Novices do have their own class last time I looked.

Primarily for me is money. I don't have $450 to spend on a 415R2 to compete. I would love to but for me I feel the writing is on the wall for running a 3-1/2 year old car against something much newer, in GT1. I know GT2 & GT3 I stand a better chance at being competitive with an older car. From what I remember on other posts with BPSHADOW, we both are on a pretty tight budget and are not sponsored by Visa.

Also I do plan on hitting the Nationals again this year running GT2. GT2 is a mabuchi class at the Nats. So if I ran GT2 and GT1 at the regionals, I would miss getting experience running mabuchis at the regionals. Last I checked local tracks don't run mabuchi classes either, unless I ran mini. The Nats does not run a novice class either, unless you consider the past chumps a bunch of novices...ROFLMAO... I do not consider GT3 a novice class. If it said GT3 Novice, then that would be a different story.

If you ever decided to goto a TCS race you might understand it better.
No trouble, just a response.

Another thing I did Call Tamiya USA and left a message about the TCS PA problem? ? ? ? ? Sounds like the C would be a better alternative!
Old 01-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

GT-3 isn't just a "jump from Novice" class. GT-2 is the same car as GT-3 but with a stock 27T ROAR legal motor. However, when you get to the Nationals, GT-2 becomes GT-2/3. (translation, Tamiya chooses to run 540 motors in the National "GT-2" class). This year will be the black can Sport tuned motor. '05 and '04 were the kit silver can.

Soooooo, a number of drivers run GT-3 who plan to run GT-2 at the Nats.

I still wish Tamiya would let us run more than two classes (Fred, is you're radar up ?). Would be fun to run the 415MSX, TA05, TB02-R, F201, and M04M all in the same day.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I guess it makes sense then if you are trying to go to Nationals.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
I guess it makes sense then if you are trying to go to Nationals.
from another budget standpoint... if you run GT2 and GT3.. you only need one car. if you run GT1 and GT2/3.. you'll need two different cars.

from tires... what you use in GT2 can be recycled in GT3. GT1 really beats up the tires.

if your not headed to Nats..and you have a GT1 car.. run GT1 since its 19T. if your budget conscious.. then GT2/GT3 is a better alternative.

Novices run in TL-01 spec.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Doc
Tech Adept

Nexus: Alot of good advice and direction from above....GT3 is the best way to get experience with the car and not destroy it, and the motor rule usually makes for close racing.... Don't make no never mind about my post, 'cuz I was jus pickin on my ol' buddy Brad.....(Not slamming the class, I was slamming on him!!!) Win lose or draw, TCS is just a heckuva lot of fun---no matter which class you choose.

bruce
Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Dont call me Whippler !!!!. I'm kind of with Jeff, I could spend the budget to go GT1, but I am kind of tired of that class. I would run GT2 but I have never been able to make a ROAR stock run worth a damn. Besides running Mabuchi is 1 less motor to rebuild in between rounds. Actually I am running GT1 at Cinci. The rationelle is that I will have both cars prepared and wont have to try and rebuild 2 cars (F1i& GT1) in the 3 days between races. Besides it will be great to run with RCGARYK.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I'm the opposite.....I can't get a silver can motor to run worth a flip! Truth be known, I can't tune a stocker either......That's why I let Eric Anderson (aka EA) tune all of my motors!

But GT3 to me is more of a driver class than GT2. The guys running GT3 have to be fast and smooth, because they gear the cars like 2:1 with those no-RPM motors.

Last year I ran GT2 in Atlanta and felt bad because my competition was a TL01 and TB02, and that was it. The other guys had stock motors and therefore got tossed into the GT2. GT1 was the more competitive class in ATL, so come Memphis I prepared to run GT1, but the classes flip-flopped on me. I had my share of competition, but GT2 would have been better.

But if I can't get my minis to run any better on the carpet than they did last weekend, I might find myself running GT1 and GT2!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So who is going to do the WOH/Trackside whirlwind?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what bodies are you guys gonna run in GT - 1 ?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Casey how was your conversation with Richard?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jeff- You know I'll be doing both events!
Casey- I'm gonna stick with one of the newer NSX bodies. You running that Altezza again this year?

Later
Doc
Old 01-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
So who is going to do the WOH/Trackside whirlwind?
Me-I am going I registered online a few days ago. GT1 and F!. I am actually practicing this time, bt it seems the more I practce on rubber tires-the slower I keep going

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.