Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use a Samsonite clamshell case that I bought years ago at one of their outlets. There's nothing (literally- no liner, nothing) inside, so I pack one side with my gear- everything, with the semi-fragile stuff wrapped in bubble wrap- and the other side with my clothes and a track bag. If done properly, the weight comes in right at 48-49 lbs and there's no surcharge (BTW, if you fly JetBlue there's no 50 lb max). My second bag is a heavy duty Marlboro cordura bag that I've lined with heavy duty cardboard and that's where the battery box, tools, wheels and tires, etc go. When I arrive in town, I just transfer everything to the track bag and leave the other cases in the car or hotel room. I ALWAYS ship my volatile chemicals and petro-based stuff (oils, traction compound, etc.) to the hotel or track via UPS Ground a week ahead of time and track it so I know it got there before I leave for the race. And I put a retun ship label inside of the box so after the race I just repack the chems and ship it back to my office. Hate buying chems I'm not familiar with when I hit town.

Bottom line: only bad things I've had happen is losing chems (before I started shipping them) and every couple of years they'll break a nylon parts/battery box. I figure the hold in the plane gets really cold and when they start to toss the bags around the boxes break.

Just my $.02, but I do travel around to races quite a bit...
Later
Doc
Old 12-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doc,

When shipping chems how do you indicate them with USPS or UPS? Usually they ask is there anything hazardous.

Would have been handy last time to Cali I could only find paragon, it leaked and spilled in my box, threw it out, got hazmatted from residue, confiscated some non entities that had some left on it, etc. Acually I thought I was in trouble, they were paging me 1-1/2 hours in the airport. I was in a bar watching news. Just before bording they paged me again and the airline people were miffed. Oh well, luckily only lost about $10 in chems and stuff.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Jeff-
Beats me, my shipping folks take care of that. Must be OK, since that's how most of them show up on my doorstep in the first place. Can't send any way other than ground, though...
Old 12-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Dont ship the stuff, buy it local when you get to the race.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default what happened at the Tamiya Worlds?

I apparently missed the TCS finals news...what happened? Did the American crew do well? I don't see anything on the Tamiya Japanese website...
Old 12-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Sandman- Gonna be a big crowd in Frederick this weekend- sedans and mini and some 12th scales. Come join us! Been too long.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

f1jet,

Look back 2 pages you will find the link from Tamiya Japan.

I think ,

gt2- John Houda - TQ the b main
gt1- Corey took 8th in the a main
Edgar took 10th in the a main.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Doc,

When shipping chems how do you indicate them with USPS or UPS? Usually they ask is there anything hazardous.

Would have been handy last time to Cali I could only find paragon, it leaked and spilled in my box, threw it out, got hazmatted from residue, confiscated some non entities that had some left on it, etc. Acually I thought I was in trouble, they were paging me 1-1/2 hours in the airport. I was in a bar watching news. Just before bording they paged me again and the airline people were miffed. Oh well, luckily only lost about $10 in chems and stuff.
The Post Office won't accept them at all, no matter what service you use. UPS might, but probably with there ground service only. I'm thinking it might be best if you can order it from a LHS and then have them hold it for you. When you arrive.

TC
Old 12-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Talking Trackside TCS race

Thank you all, for the tips on traveling to a race via Air, local weather conditions, and for the info on Trackside. A lot of the guys I talked to thought that it would be cool if we could have a Cali contingent come out for this race, but most of them said that they wouldn't be able to do it until 2007. I did peak the interest of a few guys, so we'll wait and see.

TC
Old 12-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mr_postman
The Post Office won't accept them at all, no matter what service you use. UPS might, but probably with there ground service only. I'm thinking it might be best if you can order it from a LHS and then have them hold it for you. When you arrive.

TC
Ordering them from a LHS might be a better alternative, well for me anyway. Each time I have gone out I try to avoid going to Ultimate. Within the 2nd or 3rd day I end up at Ultimate... LOL
Old 12-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Doc:

I'll try to might make it - I haven't turned a lap with my TA05 yet and I'd like to try it out.

We will be having another GTG (Get ToGether) Saturday afternoon. If you want a laugh, stop by for a few minutes when you ease back down I-270 from Frederick. The guys have an official track layout, computer timing with RIFID micro-transponders, mad-demon car modifiers and a silly time. It is quite possible to turn 500 laps in one afternoon if you aren't careful.

see http://www.howfastareyou.com/

Sanford
Old 12-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

OK, I give up...where?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone running GT1 at WOH? This will be my 1st TCS race and I'm getting my 415 together. Also what tires did you run there last year? and any base setups for the standard 415? Thanks

They have also updated the facilities. They subfloored the track and made it super smooth. The entire track varies no more than an 1/8" now and there will be a new larger pit area.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

That sounds great about WOH looking forward to it!

GT1 winner ran a regular EVOIII with a ball diff up front. He was extremely dialed. Being a smaller track it might take a little bit different thinking...
Old 12-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

I was under the impression that the ball diff wasn't legal since it is not a Tamiya product.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.