Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I jsut realized too that WOH is the week after I have to drive up to Oshkosh for our 2nd to last Wisconsin Touring Car Series race that I help run. So that would make it 3 weekends in a row if I did WOH. Do I risk certain death from the wife by going out of town 3 weekends in a row??? Hard choice. I'd at least have some peace and quite after the the wife killed me...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have authorization to do both races. I am actually more reluctant than the wife simply because I know that it will be an absolute thrash fo two weeks straight to do both. If I start preparing now maybe it wont be so bad, but we all know how insane this time of the year is.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is it me or is it there less races this year or there is one more race this year than last year?

That's a good month for Bay Area race although no matter what happen there isn't seemed to be any rain for the race dated on February nor March!
Old 12-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There's one fewer race- no more Atlanta, after only two years at Toys for Boys Too bad- a beautiful track. Everything else is the same as last year (odd that there are no new venues this season ) but the dates have gone through the scramblerooskie machine.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Jeff... I LOVE YOUR AVATAR! It's really cool! It's like the people at Tamiya World Headquarters are looking out the window and saying "What is that man doing!?"

Really Nice!

-Lee
Old 12-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Leester-111
Jeff... I LOVE YOUR AVATAR! It's really cool! It's like the people at Tamiya World Headquarters are looking out the window and saying "What is that man doing!?"

Really Nice!

-Lee
Lee, do you happen to know if TrackSide Hobbies has a web site? If so, could you post the link to it. Thanks...

TC
Old 12-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr_postman
Lee, do you happen to know if TrackSide Hobbies has a web site? If so, could you post the link to it. Thanks...

TC
I'm not lee but what the heck

www.trackside.com

See you in March
Boomer
Old 12-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Boomer
I'm not lee but what the heck

www.trackside.com

See you in March
Boomer
...but just as good. Thanks for the info. There's a reallllllllllllly outside chance that I would be able to do this race, but I was about to secure some vacation time around this event. Sounds like you guys have a ton of fun out at this event.

TC
Old 12-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Mr Captain Wildman - I am not trying to think about the Nats. I was not happy I missed it this year but stuff happens. The odds of me going next year are looking good. Unless it snows and my plane skidds off the runway... Note to self don't fly Southwest out of Midway.

Leester - Thanks! Maybe one day that will be me, with or without TCS. Although I hope I am not that heavy.

mr_postman - It is a good time. I wish they could go back to doing it twice a year.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
... Note to self don't fly Southwest out of Midway.
Make that "into Midway". They skidded off because they couldn't stop after they landed.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Mr Captain Wildman - I am not trying to think about the Nats. I was not happy I missed it this year but stuff happens. The odds of me going next year are looking good. Unless it snows and my plane skidds off the runway... Note to self don't fly Southwest out of Midway.

Leester - Thanks! Maybe one day that will be me, with or without TCS. Although I hope I am not that heavy.

mr_postman - It is a good time. I wish they could go back to doing it twice a year.
What it's gonna really boil down to is money. I've never flown out to a race, so traveling with the r/c stuff on an airplane would be a first for me. I know enough people how have done it, so I'm hoping they will share their knowledge with me. Working for the P.O., I also know about keeping the flammable/hazardous stuff at home, and to buy it at the track. Also, make sure my radio and chassis go in my carry-on bag.

If I can get a couple more peeps to do this with me, to help share hotel and rental car (van?) costs, I would honestly consider it. Racing on an indoor carpet track in the winter time (in Wisconsin) is probably the closest I'm ever going to get to "running" the TCS Worlds. I won't have to go through customs too, but knowing my luck, I'll probably make the "high-profile" passenger list.

Vacation time wise, 2006 is shaping up to be a good year for r/c racing.

TC
Old 12-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Turbo Joe - I was kinda groggy from all night plowing. Mabe if it snows in Orange County I shouldnt take Southwest in to John Wayne airport... Then again I don't think Southwest goes to JW. So if it snows in LA awe screw it,... I guess I will have to come to the nats....

mr_postman - There are many options you can take. Some guys mail most of their stuff ahead to the location. Some use big a oversized cargo container and pay more for transport when whey fly.

I usually fly United and take advantage of their 2 bags at 50 pounds. My first is usually my largest suitcase my second a cut down UPS Heavyduty cardboard box cut to 62 linear inches. In that box I usually pack 2 plano 1233s. I hate going to a race and having all my tools and supplies thrown in a box or working out of a suitcase. The 1233s allow me to sort my tools and such giving me 6 trays plus to work with.

I have a duffle bag that I carry on and a small backpack. The duffleback I usually carry on my fragile important stuff like chargers, radio, car and anything else. Pre 911 I used to carry on batteries as well, mainly for weight. If I am overweight in my check-in stuff the duffle bag tends to absorb the extra weight. I think last time it was 40 pounds lol. Luckily they don't weigh it.

I never mailed USPS/UPS... sorry. I usually want my stuff somewhat within my control vs fully in someone elses control. Actually a local went to the Reedy race this year and had all his stuff mailed. All his stuff got destroyed on the trip home.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I used to carry everything on, I mean everything. But 9/11 put the kabosh on that. Now if I travel I take one of the bigger Stanley toolboxes. Last time the upper tray for the box was mysteriously broken on the flight back to Detroit from the nats. Make sure that you have a way to clip it shut in case the latches happen to pop open. Also I would pack as light as possible, if you can split the weight between bags. My box was so heavy that it cost an extra $75.00 to get to Cali. On the way back I moved some of the non fragile stuff to my luggage , that combined with my wifes gold status made it a freebie to get home.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Mr Cole.

It's so good to see you come out to the Midwest! You won't be dissapointed with the event.

A few things to tell you before coming to the event you are going to being racing in a very cold environment. the temperatures usally go down to 30 or lower but since it will be in march it could be a little warmer. But still you have to bundle up. Bring a winter coat and some sweaters.

We do allow traction compound on the track but we do have a rule about traction compound. The only compound you can use Jack The Gripper. The reason why is that we have had problems with paragon and other compounds due to the fact that people wer geting headaches due to the strong wintergreen smell and that the track got real gummy during the Novak race and Tamiya race and other events held at Trackside.

We have a ride hieght rule. If you are going to run touring car. Such as GT-1-2 the minimal ride height is 5mm. Nothing Lower! People before were having thier ride height setting way too low they were making gouges and holes in the track which upset alot of people and made them complain as well.
New CRC Fastrack racing II carpeting was installed this end of summer and it is the same stuff used at the IIC race and it really works great! And everone has been really cautious about how far their car is off the ground.

Your body must be properly trimmed and not touching the carpet. NOT AT ALL! If your body is scraping the carpet you will be asked to pull it off and retrim it and/ormove it up a few holes. This again is to keep the carpet from having any holes in it.

I am really pleased you are coming down to the greatest Tamiya Championship Series carpet race america has to offer. if you have any more questions about the event PM me or email me at [email protected]!

Hope you could bring guys down such as Ian Aqino, and the rest of the TAOB gang! despite the cold weather.... It's an awesome event!

Sincerely

-Lee Passehl
Old 12-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr_postman
I won't have to go through customs too, but knowing my luck, I'll probably make the "high-profile" passenger list.
Only if they figure out you're a Postal worker...LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.