Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leester-111
If we don't start getting along, we could end up starting a huge civil war between the West Coast and the Midwest......with RC cars that is ....anyway we need to work together to find out what would be sutable for us. If we are going to play along well we're going to have to share our idea's. I hope the new rules will bring us back together but who knows it may divide us even more. But that's just a guess. Play nice kids!
Lee,

I thought we were playing nice.
Anyways this thread from what I can see has been healthy with many excellent ideas from the veterans as well as the newcomers of the series.

Wonder when Fred gets off the throne and posts the rules and event dates?...
Old 11-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Paging Mr. Medel, Mr Fred Medel
Mr. Medel you have a call on the white courtesy phone.
Mr. Medel please dial the operator
Old 11-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Also if you look at this years rules, they were not released until January. Hope this isnt the case this (next)year
Old 11-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default tires

Well I usually don,t post to much on these type of issues but here we go.

Some people say that you shouldn't wait 2 to 3 weeks before the race and prepare early. Well you are right about that and I don't think that most people do, but here is the problem.

1st- Many people cant afford to buy 30 sets of tires to just sit around on the shelf to wait every year, in hopes that they will make it to california to race the nats.
2nd- Some of us midwest guys only get to run rubber tire a few times a year and on carpet, which is different than ashpalt.
3rd- Its not just the tire its the inserts as well, what works on carpet doesn't always work on ashpalt.
4th-Availability. Many of us ordered the tires 2 months in advanced and keep getting the back ordered treatment, so we didn,t just wait till the last minute.

Now I remember at the nationals talking to fred about the tire situation, and he said that sometimes its even hard for tamiya america to get the supply. The suggestion of using take off tires was that they would only be used for the nationals, This way no matter were you are from you can get tires to practice with, and since they were pre built there wasn't any insert hassles. For the regionals we would still have to use tamiya tires. I actually like this idea because most of us midwest guys who run on carpet still have tamiya tires that we can run, and all of the west coast guys have tires that they can run 20+ sets of b's, that you can know use.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

if you need tires. go to Kevin's Hobbies. he has 20 sets of B tires. first come first serve.

457 W. First Street
Glendora, CA 91767

Old 11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrodney
Well I usually don,t post to much on these type of issues but here we go.

Some people say that you shouldn't wait 2 to 3 weeks before the race and prepare early. Well you are right about that and I don't think that most people do, but here is the problem.

1st- Many people cant afford to buy 30 sets of tires to just sit around on the shelf to wait every year, in hopes that they will make it to california to race the nats.
2nd- Some of us midwest guys only get to run rubber tire a few times a year and on carpet, which is different than ashpalt.
3rd- Its not just the tire its the inserts as well, what works on carpet doesn't always work on ashpalt.
4th-Availability. Many of us ordered the tires 2 months in advanced and keep getting the back ordered treatment, so we didn,t just wait till the last minute.

Now I remember at the nationals talking to fred about the tire situation, and he said that sometimes its even hard for tamiya america to get the supply. The suggestion of using take off tires was that they would only be used for the nationals, This way no matter were you are from you can get tires to practice with, and since they were pre built there wasn't any insert hassles. For the regionals we would still have to use tamiya tires. I actually like this idea because most of us midwest guys who run on carpet still have tamiya tires that we can run, and all of the west coast guys have tires that they can run 20+ sets of b's, that you can know use.
AMEN my brother from another mother... I emulate especially your 1st point....
Will you be coming to Trackside in 06?

I just called TCS HQ.
I did not get the "white courtesy phone", I think I got the payphone by the track. (I know, its gone)

They were a little busy but did say the tires will look like Tamiya's for the regionals and if there is any change it might be for the Nats.

There were 3 holdups on the schedule; Maryland, Memphis and Ohio. So if you know the tracks, owners, etc.... might be worth a call to see what is going on. Plus it might get the dates posted faster.

They were working on the rules and is some speculation for this week for posting.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
if you need tires. go to Kevin's Hobbies. he has 20 sets of B tires. first come first serve.

457 W. First Street
Glendora, CA 91767

Hebiki - you forgot to mention Pay Pal accepted.

BP Shadow - I never said anyone had to buy 20 sets of tires. I was in the right place at the right time, and the price was awesome.

Mrodney - 3-4 sets should be plenty for a regional. For those of us that run the outdoor tracks, it helps to have A's and B's or B3's as weather does change out here in California. (Note: The June regional '03 at Alieso went cold weather a week before the race and A's were the tire to have. For Fremont '05 in Nor Cal, it is always A's because it is cold and rains a lot there in March. This year, it was B's or B3's ). If you're running indoor on carpet, then you have an advantage because you can by one tire that you know will work and then you only need probably 2 sets max. Also note, most people run other tires for our local races, including races like the KO Propo race held at Tamiya so our Tamiya tires are TCS tires only also.

As for ordering in time, if I ordered two months in advance and it was 3-4 weeks away and they were still out of stock, I would cancel and order them from somebody who does. Thanks to this wonderful tool called the Internet that Al Gore invented (note: this was an attempt at very serious humor), there are plenty of places and countries to get them ordered from.

With that said, I hope Fremont got there requested change to early April so we will not need to run grooved F201 tires on our sedans.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For those looking for B's for next season, WalaWala store (www.valavala.com) has them on sale for $22.99 a set of four with wheels and inserts. Deal! Tower has Type A's in stock for $15.69 a pair, SpeedTech for $14.99. Can't find any B3's in stock on line but Steve Wang has 'em pretty regularly.

Meanwhile I've got my 2006 season tires, rims and inserts already stocked in the Secret Underground Laboratory. Sorry, Jeff...I just buys 'em when I finds 'em.

Personally, I'm all for the free expression of opinion here- if we don't talk about it, who will Fred look to for inspiration?

Later
Doc
Old 11-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
457 W. First Street
Glendora, CA 91767
HEY wait, the address Hebiki gave is bogus!!! I just passed by at that address an hour ago and an old seventy-ish lady answered the door. Unless of course, Kevin is hiding something from us...
Old 11-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Lee,

I thought we were playing nice.
Anyways this thread from what I can see has been healthy with many excellent ideas from the veterans as well as the newcomers of the series.

Wonder when Fred gets off the throne and posts the rules and event dates?...
Sorry I guess i misjudged you.

It's nice that we are discussing new idea's for the series. If there's anything we should go back to. it's F103's and best lap timing.

Hope the rules are good ones this year!

I rest my case

-Lee
Old 11-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Wow, what everyone should remember is to have fun with it. Focus on being fast. Be the darkhorse and lay low under the radar. Sometimes driving smart is faster than outspending the competitor or raising a stink. Just focus, be fast, drive for the fun of it and someday you'll be the one going to Japan.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eeyan
HEY wait, the address Hebiki gave is bogus!!! I just passed by at that address an hour ago and an old seventy-ish lady answered the door. Unless of course, Kevin is hiding something from us...
Just like Midnight Auto supply, I knew you were a'coming so I had to relocate to my new location ! : I think the real problem is you went by so fast in your new EVO IX that you were already a block past my house when you thought you were there.

Don't worry, as the club Pres, mentor, friend, and all around nice guy, I got you covered if they let past champs race in other classes.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Kevin CBR]

BP Shadow - I never said anyone had to buy 20 sets of tires. I was in the right place at the right time, and the price was awesome.

QUOTE]
Im not saying you did, and the fact that you were able to get them cheap is even better for you. Im not trying to start some feud between midwest and west coast, this aint hip hop this is TCS. Maybe your not the one to blame, but there are people out there that are very greedy and it leaves some of us without. I could afford to buy 20 sets at a time but I just dont see the point. This is a problem throughout the hobby, 1 run tires, 1 run motorbrushes, etc, etc. I run a set of brushes 10 or 12 packs before I throw them out, not because i'm cheap but because it is a waste and the hobby is already costly enough. I do plan ahead and do order early and most of the time it works out, I have been burned on a couple of occaisions and it may not be anyones fault, its just the way it worked out.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccardr
Meanwhile I've got my 2006 season tires, rims and inserts already stocked in the Secret Underground Laboratory. Sorry, Jeff...I just buys 'em when I finds 'em.
I take this is my b-day present. . . geee what a guy!.....

Originally Posted by bp shadow
I could afford to buy 20 sets at a time but I just dont see the point. This is a problem throughout the hobby, 1 run tires, 1 run motorbrushes, etc, etc. I run a set of brushes 10 or 12 packs before I throw them out, not because i'm cheap but because it is a waste and the hobby is already costly enough.
In the last few years I have been doing alot of testing, mostly on carpet. Finally our track this summer switched to real ozite and now my testing has new meaning.

Anyways with all that testing I have noticed that if I run a 27t motor for 9, 10, 12 or 18 5 min runs (with no motor maintenance), the chances of me getting the fastest run can be and usually is the last run of the day. This is with only lubing the bushings for every run. Last time out I did 435 laps on on the same motor and tires. Actually the motor had another 200 laps before on it without being touched. No I am not lazy and I did a total car tear down for every practice. From the start to the finish of the day I gained 5/10ths of a lap my final run being my best. Looking at the next day A-main racers I would have qualified 6th in the A in a very good field and if I ran a perfect race could have had 2nd in the final. You never know sometimes it happens. If I did some motor maintenance I might have gotten 2 more 10ths putting my near the top of the A for qualifying.

I think there is a lot to say for fine tuning a car, over spending a bunch on new equipment, brushes, tires, etc... . In so many words I try to not spend like crazy too. I am NOT an advocate for NO motor maintenance. I find it interesting that if I have tires with 40+ runs on them, motor and brushes with 400+ laps, I still can be competitive especially with a 2-1/2 year old chassis to boot.

Not trying to toot my own horn just find it interesting. New 1 run stuff is not everything. Sure if I went to a big race I would still go for the new rubbers, etc... I would not have 1 run wonders though, unless track conditions forced me to do so.....
Old 11-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

I guess I'm a luddite, as well as a noob. I'm planning to be out there to have fun, compete, and learn. Until I get my skills honed enough to be a front runner, I will most likely be running the same tires and motor until they go up in smoke!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.