Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I found my way to the Nationals this year alone, but next year I've got my sights set on the June? regional race so the family can join me and say HI to that big rat you got out there.

Any hint at when the regional race at Aliso Viejo will be in 2006?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Actually, RCO is an indoor asphalt track, which depending on the outside temps can be tricky to setup for.
@ Kevin CBR , I agree that you should be prepared more than a couple of weeks before the event, but the fact that you own 20+ sets of B's is irrelevent. I would like to have more sympathy for you , but in a way you are part of the problem. When 1 or 2 guys buys out the entire stock of tires for North America it makes it difficult for anyone else to be prepared because Tamiya ships stuff from Japan in shipping containers, meaning that they only ship when there is enough to fill a container. This is why some items are on back order for a long time. Also if I may ask, what would you need that many sets of tires for? Even at the nats you might use 4 sets during the week, just curious. Even if they change the rules for the regionals, my bet is that the nats will still be Tamiya rubber.
I wish they would hurry up and make the official announcement on this stuff. I need to start planning myself , and if there is a supply problem I need to start ordering parts as well as figuring out what chassis I am going to run.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Any hint at when the regional race at Aliso Viejo will be in 2006?
It's always in June and has been the first weekend in June the last three years. The Reedy Invitational is always Memorial weekend so unless it rains (yeah, right) the track has high bite.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

BP Shadow, I have to disagree with you on the tires. I have that many B tires because of a lucky business trip to HK earlier this year. The B's were sold out in the US last year. The tires are available, you just have to look. BTW - a guy in Japan was selling B's on e-bay earlier this year. Speedtech ALWAYS has tires before the local TCS race, 3-4 weeks before that is. If you wait until the last 1-2 weeks, all the local shops will be out. I ran Fremont for the first time this year and the Hobby Town shop that helped host the event made it a point to stock up on tires for the event. With all the Internet places to shop, in and out of the U.S., I usually find the locals at the events I run that complain they can't find tires are the ones who decide to find tires a week before the race. Kind of like deciding to go to a big race like the Snowbirds and deciding to pick up tires when you get there. Chances are all the local shops will be out of the tire you need there too.

To answer why I have so many, again, they were already sold out in the U.S., they are a great tire, and they are sealed to stay fresh so I can use them for the next couple of years. I also sold some to friends and brother.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Minimadman2003,

If you are able to get to the Trackside race you should. Triple A mains plus spec, F1, asn GT2 had enough for a and b mains, GT3 had A,B and C mains, Mini went to D mains, and Gt1 had an E main. As a bonus you were able to run Rally as a 3rd class on the indoor offroad track (box spec rules with ball bearings, plastic oil filled shocks, and rally tires) and this class even had a full C main. The race is March 4th and 5th with a practice day on Friday the 3rd. And Rally will be a class again this year. With how much fun everyone had in Rally last year it should be even more popular this year.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

When I talked with Fred at Mazda Cup about tires for the 2006 TCS season, he said that we are going to be required to run Tamiyas (A's or B's), not Take-offs. I guess that it's possible that it might change, but more than likely it will not.

Still no schedule or rules for the `06 season as of yet, so I guess anything is still possible.

TC
Old 11-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

I have to agree with KevCBR, I am going to Fremont and and local regional here in SoCal again this year. I've already am starting to get all my stuff together for these events, ie. Tires, bodies and extra parts. Everyone wants the rules to come out soon so they can plan their vacations, but should also plan on getting whatever is required. Also, I've seen the GT1 guys at the Nats run a set of Bs for each run, this is including practice. So if you make the A at the Nats, that is three right there, plus 4qualifiers, So that is seven, and lets say you practice the Friday before, and have 4 runs, and two each race day?? That is eight more. So total is 15. So twenty is not out of the question. Besides I know where Kevin lives.... I might be the guy with twenty sets of tires soon!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

So ,my bad for assuming that you bought them all here. However, the myth that sedan tires are only good for one run is completely idiotic. After 1 pack you have barely knocked the mold release off of the rubber. The secret I have found to making the tires last is to keep the motor spray away from them. Motor spray dries out the rubber and the tires are junk after a couple of runs. If you take care of the tires they should be able to do at least 2 regionals, nats would require 4 or 5 sets.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
So ,my bad for assuming that you bought them all here. However, the myth that sedan tires are only good for one run is completely idiotic. After 1 pack you have barely knocked the mold release off of the rubber. The secret I have found to making the tires last is to keep the motor spray away from them. Motor spray dries out the rubber and the tires are junk after a couple of runs. If you take care of the tires they should be able to do at least 2 regionals, nats would require 4 or 5 sets.
It is pretty crazy going through that many tires. I agree with BP Shadow. I could easily get many runs outta B tires if I clean them after every run. The only detriment of the tires is if I bend a rim or blister them from it being really hot out.

Although it does make me think about supply and demand. If production only makes X amount of tires and you have guys buying 20 sets at a time. Regardless of where you buy them you are still stuck with X amount of tires coming out of the factory. I don't blame Tamiya for not producing more, they are doing their job and cannot account for those that buy 20 sets at a time. I do remember guys cutting up their tires at the nats making pyramids with their 1 run rubbers and rims. What a waste....

What I would be happy to see at the Nats is to check in 2-3 sets of tires for the weekend. That is what you get. It would solve a problem about many guys, who not just post here, insist on buying crates of tires. Maybe that should be enforced regionally as well. . . .
Old 11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

There has been a lot of chat on this thread about tires. Use non-Tamiya tires. Limit amount of tires to check in, etc. All under the concern of A.) Availability and B.) Keeping the cost down.

Well availability just isn't an issue if you plan ahead and order early enough. Want to wait until the last minute to see what the weather is like to buy just enough of the tire you think you need. Well, that's the same thing I heard running SCCA on the West Coast from guys who did not want to buy rain tires for the GT classes when it decided to rain in sunny So Cal.

So what's next ?

How about the guys who buy brand new battery packs for each regional qualifier and the Nats ? (that could be 3 for a regional and up to 7 for the Nats. Here's another $ 150.00 - 350.00 more to the tab.

What about motors. "That guy" who can afford $ 250.00 for the motor lathe and diamond tip cutter and another $ 150.00 to 200.00 for a motor dyno now has an "unfair" advantage also ? Gee, this is kinda costly. How about not letting people cut their motors after each run. Seal them up and no touching between races.

Then there's those crazy people who actually buy alignment stations, tweak stations, setting boards and actually realign and adjust there cars between runs. Heck another $ 100.00 to 300.00 there.

Racing will always have its cost. Look at the ill fated F1 decision to allow only one set of tires during a race. This was done to cut costs. It actually made for more boring economy / save your tire races and safety issues, and they decided to scrap the idea for '06. Yeah, people who spend more will have an advantage, but it still takes a good driver behind the wheel to make that car go fast.

I hope you all can see that this is written as humorous sarcasm. I just think people should consider all the other things that lots of $$$ are spent on to make a car go faster than just tires. If someone wants to buy his or her tires a month or two before a race so they can run a fresh set every run, then that's their option. Just like the person who will spend the $$$ to freshen and tune their motor or align their car after every run.

For me and my 20+ sets of B's, I am set for the next couple of years and the price was great. Who knows, maybe I will be good enough to make the A at the Nats by then. That and I have to keep them hidden from RTO who only lives about 5 minutes away.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Now i don't mean to be a critic but what I have seen over the past serveral months after the Tamiya North American Finals, is the constant debating, fighting, arguing over rules, regulations, the nats, the 2 day practice rule, who should have gone, who deserves and doesn't derserve to win. It's just been nuts! It's been a huge message board war between the West Coast and the Midwest. Almost no one from the West Coast has agreed with the Midwest. And almost no one from the Midwest has agreed with people from the West Coast.
If we don't start getting along, we could end up starting a huge civil war between the West Coast and the Midwest......with RC cars that is ....anyway we need to work together to find out what would be sutable for us. If we are going to play along well we're going to have to share our idea's. I hope the new rules will bring us back together but who knows it may divide us even more. But that's just a guess. Play nice kids!

I rest my case

-Lee
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

OK Lee, you just earned one set of B tires when you finally get out here to California............
Old 11-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

You are absolutely right in everything that you posted. The difference between all that stuff and 20 sets of tires is that you dont throw the other stuff in the trash after 1 or 2 runs. You are right that people will find ways to spend money. I have much of the equiptment that you speak of, and in the long run it saves money, at least the lathe does. If I add up all the times I have turned arms as opposed throwing out a perfectly good arm and buying a new one , I have saved a ton. As far as a setup station goes, how else do you setup the car. Yes you can use a cheap camber guage to set camber, but what about caster and toe? The initial investment for this equiptment is high, but if you take care of it it lasts damn near forever.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Lee, You are absolutely correct in your post, although I think that this is a very healthy debate and hopefully some of the ideas expressed make it back the Fred and co. . This is actually one of the more productive threads I have seen, most of the others I have looked at are full of trash talking and insults. West Coast or Midwest, the one common thread, the uncurable disease that we all share is this thing called Tamiya and TCS racing.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
There has been a lot of chat on this thread about tires. Use non-Tamiya tires. Limit amount of tires to check in, etc. All under the concern of A.) Availability and B.) Keeping the cost down.

Well availability just isn't an issue if you plan ahead and order early enough. Want to wait until the last minute to see what the weather is like to buy just enough of the tire you think you need.
I think you forgot $500 radios and ceramic bearings... You pretty much covered everything else. Anyway, I know you were joking on most of that. The problem with those items is not availability or maybe necessity.

My complaint is lack of availability.

How far in advance do you have to buy tires. I ordered mine over 1-1/2 months before my first 05 TCS race and they still did not come in. Once I had the news that they were never coming in I only had 1-1/2 weeks to get something going, that did not get me tires. I called the host track to reserve some tires, they were even shorted for tires and I could not get 1 measly pair. Many new guys came to that race. They had to borrow old tires because they decided last minute to try-out this TCS racing thing.

If there were more controls on tire usage for a TCS day/weekend race it might eliminate the hording and open up more of a sharing aspect. I have gone to a few individuals that had boxes of tires and they had them reserved for whatever they were doing, probably 1 run wonders. Not saying what you did was wrong or bad, we would not be talking about this if everybody could buy the tires they need.

Besides leaving the tires in the box they eventually gell into a lump of jello, better check their born on date.... ... mmmmm black jello..... (said like Homer Simpson)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.