Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Marty, it appears that my experience was somewhat different than yours, which probably explains our difference of opinion. Our track also used to get a lot of F1 and LeMans drivers on race night, but they slowly trickled away as they discovered that the cars (on foams) were much more difficult to drive than they looked. That's not just my opinion, it's what the exiting drivers told us.

We tried a lot of techniques to get people to stay- help from the fast guys, supportive comments from the announcer during the lower Mains, reduced race fees, etc. Even though the 103 cars on foam are not hard to set up so they handle decently, they required a level of precision, focus and attention that was typically found in the more experienced racer.

What none of us know yet is how this chassis will work with modern tires replacing the foams. Best case scenario is that they'll handle like they're on rails and a set of tires will last an entire season.

I hope that's the case, and if so, then I agree it would be a super entry level car.

Later
Doc
Old 11-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

SOD:
First I think 4WD Cars have gotten out of hand what I would spend on my 1/8 scale Nitro cars I am now spending on my Touring Elec, Cars its Crazy!

I know This is not a Tamiya Car! or will you see it run in a TCS race but we hope to push them and others into making better and more cars at a Better $.

I do feel your right, All I know is here at MLP I have just made a prototype F1 2WD Car and I took it to our last race where I took the Championship with our F201SCFPRO II in 19T Stock and 12T Pro Mod Classes And after the race I put our New F2006 F1 on the track and I was turning lap times 3 secs faster than the F201 Cars (it had never been Run before this) and then I put on a set of foams and did a few laps tweak the car and put it back on the Track and it was over 5 sec's a lap faster than the F201 and knowing it had more. so all I wanted to say was a 2wd car is faster than a 4wd car with the same batteries and motor !

I have been following D-DriverSports in Japan and they think it will do the same but they run Oval for the most part! I have a Factory Driver that runs our cars and we Follow what they are Asking for for the most part The F1 cars I have wanted to make for years and we are we will also make a Group C car and and more Why stop there right! LOL
Old 11-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

I have given up on GT2/3...spending all that cash on the tub chassis cars that are in no way competetive against other brands! Go ahead and say what you will...but the TA05 fully optioned is not the same as a 415...point blank. I'd rather spend my cash on a GT1 car...and would love there to be a stock motor class to run these premere cars!

Think of it GT1 with 540 or ROAR Stock motors...who wouldnt want the best cars with controlled speed?

I'll wait and see about any new chassis...I only do 1-2 TCS's per season if I'm lucky (being military) and I can't see buying another car that I can ONLY race at 1 TCS race.

Im keeping the Mini...still like those

Paul
Old 11-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Herc Driver
I have given up on GT2/3...spending all that cash on the tub chassis cars that are in no way competetive against other brands! Go ahead and say what you will...but the TA05 fully optioned is not the same as a 415...point blank. I'd rather spend my cash on a GT1 car...and would love there to be a stock motor class to run these premere cars!

Think of it GT1 with 540 or ROAR Stock motors...who wouldnt want the best cars with controlled speed?

Paul
I concur. My first TCS was in 2003, with a TRF414M2. I had just got the car and I had only been racing for a couple of months with a TA03F. They were still running GT-1 as an open mod class. As a novice driver, with a 12 turn double flatwire motor on B2 tires, in cool weather at the HQ track, it was a nightmare for me, to say the least. I ended up running the main with a stock motor, and having to pull to the outside of the track every 1/2 lap to let the pack go by.

The thing that I couldn't understand back then (and still now) was, why were they running two different classes (GT-2 & 3) for the tub chassis cars, but only one class (GT-1) for the TRF chassis cars? Even if it's only a regional level (like the Spec Class), I would love to see a "GTS" Class, GT-1 Class cars with stock 27T motors, or allow them to run in the regional GT-2 class, but with a weight penalty. I would think that there are more people out there running 414/415, Evo 3/4 cars, than the TA04/05, or TB02 at their local race track.

JM2C

TC
Old 11-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Heck call it GT1 and a 1/2 and make us run pink VW bug bodies with stock motors or mabuchis and Ill proudly run it...I would vote to run TRF type cars in stock class...keep the tub cars to one class...let the folks that want to mod out the tubbies duke it out...I'm done with those...especially after seeing/modding/driving the TA05...then trying a BOX STOCK 415! NO COMPARISON! I sold the TA05 instantly!

I'd much rather spend on the 415.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tire help

Indoor ozite carpet, tub chassis, black can motor. A-tires for sure. But what inserts? How do they compare? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Paul, did you finally break down and buy a 415? I've got an MSX on order for next year, so hopefully the GT1 (or whatever) class will be alive and well. Just like you suggested, I plan to campaign it all season instead of just TCS events. It really hurt me to jump from an Xray with a spool to the 415 with one-way for the Memphis TCS. I just didn't have enough wheel time to do anything with it.

The M03 will be ready for next year, but if they offer up an M04 class I might give that one a go. IMO the slight gearing advantage that the M03 has was enough on the tracks with long straights to keep the M04 from being competitive. Other than that, I loved the way the M04 handled.

I'm not too picky when it comes to the TCS rules, but I'm still crossing my fingers for a Take-Off tire rule.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would rather dump GT3 altogether and just run spec. I know I mention of adding an additional class for the kiddies but with the GT3 and spec is more less the same, I might as well join in to vote to eliminate one over the other. I like to see spending limit on startup cost so the new drivers can join in sooner than ever therefore we can add more races as well.

It looks like Freddie got his hands full next year but my most important question is: when will we get the Gas series? I mean Tamiya has sold the car for ages but no series? In addition, AFAIK, Tamiya does not have a world championship contender team for the Nitro 10th Scale and I would love to see Tamiya steal one from Kyosho one of these days. TG10-Mk2 has potential as an underdog but has been underexposed ever since it entered the market. Plus, now that the XBG chassis has switch over from the horrible TGS chassis to the TNS/TG10-Mk1 chassis, it's time to bring them into competition as well. I can't stand seeing good technology goes to waste.

and Mr. Peterson...sir...with all due respect, would ya put some periods on those long sentences? I was either confused or ran out of breath reading your posting and I would like to get an insight to your thought without passing out because I ran out of air.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah I'm thinking a 415 MSX...also still got the M-03 as well...gotta keep that one!

Im running Mini and who knows what else...I still got the 04...but I plan on unloading it...let me know if anyone needs 04 parts. Tried the TA05 and it was hopped up to the gills! I figured I'd get all ready for 06...then I ran the 415 refine 2 and it was like going from a pinto to a caddy...I almost immediatley decided I was done spending for gt 2/3.

My daughter (heck and 5yr old son for that matter) wants to run spec so I may get her a TT or TL not sure which 01...any suggestions of spec cars? and like the class should be...shes a NEWBIE!

Where did you order your 415? Speedtech?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:54 AM
Tech Initiate

I think its important to keep GT3 class so we have someplace to put all of the "cherry pickers" and big spenders from the spec class. Spec is for novices only and this rule needs to really be enforced. Our novices are very important to our hobby and we should try harder to keep spec class fun for them. I race in GT3 because I enjoy the driving competition. I race GT2 because I love the speed. Iam also hoping for a CS27 tire rule too for obvious reasons.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Paul, you bring up a very good point with your kids. I think there needs to be a spec/rookie class in the TCS, and it's not GT3 (as we know it today). Some of the better TCS drivers run GT3 because they like the silvercan "momentum" class, and don't want to jump up to GT2 and run stock motors. At the TCS events I've been to, these GT3 guys turn laps similar or even faster than the GT2 class. So as long as these guys run GT3, the true spec/rookie driver will be frustrated because they won't stand a chance. But if you turn GT3 into a spec class and police who runs GT3, you'll alienate a large group of competitive racers.

BTW, I'm NOT a GT3 racer, but I know several who run that class exclusively.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

I have enjoyed GT3 not because Im a big spender...but because I am military and race very limited(ly)...GT3 allowed me to have the same chassis for 3 seasons (TA04) and compete with minimal worry about batteries/motors/etc. I have also enjoyed running with the same folks whom I have met/had fun with and raced for a couple seasons...that is what TCS is really about...not winning a kit...I have never won a kit...I have gotten close...but always a second placer! Its the fun/fellowship that keeps me interested.

Tamiya;
It seems to me that GT2 should be combined with GT3 and create ONE CLASS for tub chassis racers. This way folks interested in running these in the nats can practice...The way I understand it...there is not a GT3 in the Nats...but GT2 is done with Mabuchis...so why not combine them and call them all GT2 with silver canned motors?

More;
I am advocating GT1 with 19x and a new GT1"ish" chassis class with stock or silver canned motors (Whatever)...call it GT2...then GT3 is any Tub chassis with silver cans.

Mini=All Minis

I completeley agree on the tire issue...if you can't find Tamiya rubber...there has to be an option! Heck run whatever the track has an surplus on!
Old 11-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

Oh I agree about an earlier post...bring on some GAS CARS...that is definatley a class that Tamiya sells but does not promote at TCS...I for one would love to watch them!

I aint getting one...but I love watching them!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Heck, now that I've got a TNX, I'm all for a nitro TRUCK class at the TCS.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Lunchboxes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.