Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't expect this to replace GT3, but to replace the F201 class instead. A moment of silence for the F20...awe to hell with it, bring back the F103 Baby!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I must admit, when they moved from the F103 to the F201, i hated it. But i grew to love the F201 *almost* as much as the F103. Now with no F1 class at all, i hate it even more. Theres something more appealing about the open wheelers. I do like the idea of the new Group C class, they are going to look simply awesome in a decent field Ill definately be getting myself a group c kit, as soon as Steve lets me know when they have stock at Speedtech
Old 11-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
I don't expect this to replace GT3, but to replace the F201 class instead. A moment of silence for the F20...awe to hell with it, bring back the F103 Baby!
Probably right since Japan axed the F201 class this year. Guess I just fully rebuilt my F201 in time to........ retire it.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by f1larry
Scotty announced tonight that the Trackside TCS race will be March 3, 4, and 5. Practice all day Friday, Quals on Sat. and Triple A mains on Sunday. He beleives this will be the first race.

On a side note Marty Hagaman talked to Fred Today and the rules should be out by thanksgiving. The pictured F103 with sedan tires will not be out soon enough to be a class at the early races but may be later in the season (not 100% sure if I understood this completely when I was told this so don't hold me to it).

at least we have 1 race date
That would be nice, but perhaps it's too much to hope for, is that they would have the 2006 schedule posted too. I have to submit my vacation dates next week. I really don't like having to call in "sick" in order to attend a TCS race.

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Probably right since Japan axed the F201 class this year. Guess I just fully rebuilt my F201 in time to........ retire it.
But think of how nice and clean it'll look, sitting next to all of your other Tamiya cars.

TC
Old 11-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Happy Turkey Day All!

As far as the Sedan Tired F103 goes. I don't think of it as a good choice for a new GT3. It would probably be faster than GT1, even if the F103 had a mabuchi. Also being 2wd would create a tuning nightmare which was evident when the F103 switched from foam to rubber for many people. Making it a car better suited for more experienced drivers. That was one argument for switching to the F201.... easier to driver with 4wd.

If it were a class I would like to either see it;
a) If open wheeled running pre-spoilered indy type cars... pre 70's. It would be a way to allow both F1 classes to still continue.
b) If full bodies either running special muscle car bodies or classic style cars. Different than what we usually run in the GT classes.

Having the rules and schedule early would be nice. If they stick with type A's I would have wanted them a month ago, mainly because I could not get any 1-1/2 months before the race. I also agree about planning vacations early. It is not always easy getting time off 1-1/2 before these races....
Old 11-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Default You might want to see this!!!!

I feel this will bring cost of racing down and you will see it grow here in this country I have a Friend and factory Driver in Brazil sent me a Picture of this and asked me to make him one like our MLP Chassis and also a Group C Car I told him I would and This is why we are making what we make ! Plus can you say TCS Fun once again I have not been to a TCS Race after they Droped the F103!!! I for one welcome anything that will change the Crowed from 4WD Touring!!

I say lets toss some 32mm foams on the rear and 26 on the front and go bashing !!!

Or wait till our new slicks come out for our F2006 F1 they will also fit this new car from Tamiya!!
You can grab a link off my website!!

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 08-03-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Clearly too many TCS choices...very glad that I don't have to come up with the class structure

GT1
GT2
GT3
Mini (front drive)
Mini (rear drive)
F201
Spec

Rally
Group C
Direct drive sedan
Tamtech Buggy

and oh yeah... they had a freakin' Gravel Hound class at the Worlds in Japan this year

Now with all those possible classes race management gets to figure out where the interest lies, and what chassis/parts are available to support the series...and then what classes will take the trip to J-Land?

Happy Holidays and good luck FM
Old 11-25-2005, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

An idea to limit classes:

GT-2/3 combine them into one class with Mabuchi motors. Heck in Atlanta there were only 3 GT-2's anyway.

Mini...leave em all together like they have been

Tamtech looks more of a non race class...tbd

F201...I'm hearing its gone...I love it though...TAMIYA ADD A CARBON CHASSIS, and this class is gonna grow...its awesome! Dont like milling the plastic chassis and replacing it due to warping!

GT1- I'd (personally) like to see it go to stock motors...if not seems ok as is.

Spec - regulate cherry pickers...kiddos only...this class is/shoulld be the growth future of racing!! Not just TCS!

New classes...look good TBD

Paul
Old 11-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Paul-
I like the idea of combining GT2 and GT3.
Never did like stockified motors anyway.
Later
Doc
Old 11-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Putting sedan tires on a F103 I don't really see as being an open wheeled F1 vehicle.... I chalk that up to lack of realism, unless it is to reflect classic dirt or Indy cars. I could see it as being a new GT1 class though and moving the 4WD sedans to GT2 27t open chassis. . . Of course still keeping GT3 mabuchi tub.

Is this a realistic change for 06? probably not...
Old 11-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The reason that I think this would make a good GT3 car is that it is easy to build, easy to setup and fairly durable. As an F1 car with the wheels hanging out in space, it was a touch fragile, but it would still take a beating. But with a full body I think you could punish it pretty well. I believe with the sedan rubber on it, it would actually be easier to drive than the F1 configuration. Also I dont think that it would be faster than GT1, because you are limited in the geometry of the chassis, so you are never going to use the tire to its full potential. As far as F1 goes I would love to see them come out with a chassis that is about setup and driving rather than maintenance and keeping the chassis in one piece. Although I have become very proficient at rebuilding the 201, there are other things I would rather do.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

I think BP Shadow is right for the most part:
1 it will be an entry level car for people 2 Tplate cars are easy to set up 3 here is where I think it will be faster that your GT1 class So I would make them run Stock 540 can. and run 19T in your GT1 class.

Years ago when Associated came out with that crazy RC 10L (I think this is what it was called) with the Mustang body on it I put it in the touring car class and raced it once I got it hooked up I would kick the crap out of the 4WD Touring cars so they banned it from Touring car racing here So then I went and got an RS4 and won the rest of the races that year!

2WD Chassis are faster less weight!
IMO anyway!
Old 11-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

That thing is right sexy... I'd be interested in picking one up, in addition to the frog re-release, whether there's a class for it or not!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

I don't see this as an entry level car or as a GT3 replacement. Yes, it's a simple design, but so are 12th scale and 10th scale pan cars (as were the original 101/102/103 F1 series) and you don't see very many entry level drivers in those classes any longer because 4WD sedans are more forgiving and easier to learn to drive. That's why the TL01 series took off like a rocket and got even more popular when they shunted the experienced drivers who like to race in a Spec environment into GT3. And a Tamiya Spec class driver who's ready to move up a notch probably wont want to jump into something as unfamiliar as this. So I say keep the GT3 class like it is.

But, what a fantastic option for experienced drivers who either 1) want to get back to a t-bar platform (and there are LOTS of us out there), or 2) who missed the F103 series entirely and are ready to move up to a chassis that requires lots of finesse in order to be competitive. Any motor will work with these with a 6 cell pack (side by side fits just fine, thanks) and as others have pointed out would be about as fast as GT1 with just a Mabuchi powerplant, but 19 turn and four cells would be...lovely.

Can't tell what clear body is mounted on the chassis in the pictures (maybe the new Audi?) but whatever is used the greenhouse will have to be pretty short...like an NSX...because otherwise the rear bodyposts are too tall, sway back and forth when cornering, and the rear of the body lacks support.

Later
Doc
Old 11-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Well First I think you missed the point but First lets see when we ran F103 and Le mans Class cars there were over 70 cars on a race night!!

Now for touring cars you would be happy to get 20 cars!

And as for entry level racing I know for a fact! that over 50% of the F1 Class was entry level drivers they would start out in this class because it was Cheep!!!!! and if you can not dail in a pan car well not much more I can say on this !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.