Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So I was dusting off my M04 and found out it’s illegal now? What happened? I’m military so I don’t get to do this every year, but have fun when I get a chance too....was/were there certain cars outlawed for this year?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herc Driver
So I was dusting off my M04 and found out itís illegal now? What happened? Iím military so I donít get to do this every year, but have fun when I get a chance too....was/were there certain cars outlawed for this year?
The M04 has been illegal for TCS since 2011 at least (that's the oldest set of rules I could easily dig up). The M03 became illegal in 2017. The M03 was still competitive when they took it out, but certain parts such as swaybars had become unobtainable. It causes bad feelings when racers are getting beat by a car that they can't buy.

It is hard for me to get worked up about a car having "only" a 10+ year lifespan, when in ROAR racing cars can become outdated every year or two and motors faster than that.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Copy...thanks for the info, didn’t know they did this. You’re right though I have had it a while, testament to how solid of a car it is. Wonder if they’d consider a vintage class for us cheapskates holding onto older chassis.

i guess it’s been quite a while since my last TCS race...lol
cementsurfer86 likes this.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

What's been the tire for outdoor F1 this year? I was told it was TCS rear and kit front? New to F1 and just trying to figure out a starting point.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That is what works 95% of the time. Sometimes some guys get the pit shimizu front to work if there is enough grip. Best to start with kit fronts.
Hopscotch likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robk
That is what works 95% of the time. Sometimes some guys get the pit shimizu front to work if there is enough grip. Best to start with kit fronts.
Though for TCS races I assume the shinizu's are not legal or did they change that rule?
Old 06-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hopscotch
Though for TCS races I assume the shinizu's are not legal or did they change that rule?
The TCS F1 tires are Pit Shimizu 571 front and 572 rear.
Tamiya kit fronts and TCS/572 rear for the win. (on asphalt)
TCS front and rear for carpet.
Hopscotch likes this.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions??

Originally Posted by FMW
So is this method legal on mini tires too?

definitely should be
Old 06-11-2019, 12:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Great times at HobbyTown Fresno last weekend.

I ended the race with a big doubt though. I found that my Mini M-05 was much slower than other cars on on the super long main straight. Not just a bit, but to the point that being rear ended at high speed was a risk. I was running the 21.5 Reedy FT motor with the largest pinion allowed by rules (20T) and the standard spur. The delta on speed was so large that I doubt it was related to ESC/Batteries

Is there a way to reduce the FDR of a M-05? Are there smaller spur gears available for the mini? I wasn't able to find any Tamiya hop ups for this

If FDR cannot be lowered, does anybody has any ideas on what can be the issue of my car?

thanks!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

It's not your chassis choice per-se, though the 07 is a better platform, IMO. You won't get any real help here on the net. Stick with Mini long enough, the kind information you're needing will eventually be learned or passed on.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AngryRog
It's not your chassis choice per-se, though the 07 is a better platform, IMO. You won't get any real help here on the net. Stick with Mini long enough, the kind information you're needing will eventually be learned or passed on.
You're perpetuating the problem. Do better. Do better by your fellow drivers. Mentioning the M07 is a red herring. Saying "you just need to put in the time, and someone will help you" isn't useful either.

Originally Posted by Euroguybrush
Great times at HobbyTown Fresno last weekend.

I ended the race with a big doubt though. I found that my Mini M-05 was much slower than other cars on on the super long main straight. Not just a bit, but to the point that being rear ended at high speed was a risk. I was running the 21.5 Reedy FT motor with the largest pinion allowed by rules (20T) and the standard spur. The delta on speed was so large that I doubt it was related to ESC/Batteries

Is there a way to reduce the FDR of a M-05? Are there smaller spur gears available for the mini? I wasn't able to find any Tamiya hop ups for this

If FDR cannot be lowered, does anybody has any ideas on what can be the issue of my car?

thanks!
Well, lets answer a few questions first. Are we talking "all the other cars" or minis? So i'm going to assume you're talking "versus other minis". But to cover the other eventuality, the Mini's are a lot slower than any other 21.5 powered cars.

The M05, M06, and M07 all have essentially the same gear ratio, so should go about the same speed on straights. Lets cover the basics: What battery are you using? What ESC? What's the car weigh? Bearings? If you change the FDR, the car is no longer TCS legal. The "point" is that the gear ratio is fixed.

The ESC could be a problem if the calibration is wrong.

Post a few pictures of your setup?

While we're at it, this is the mini thread: Tamiya mini cooper

Last edited by Nerobro; 06-13-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Like Nerobro is getting to, there really is so much into the prep of a car that it's most likely not the fact that you're running an M05. New batteries and a GOOD motor will be a significant help, but don't forget that bearing and diff prep is huge in Mini.

Are all your bearings new and/or in good shape? Did you clean the grease out and use very light oil? And in most cases a very tight diff is going to help you carry more corner speed.

At my local TCS race I cleaned and oiled the bearings in my new M07, drove very well, but was still slower on the straight than the fastest guys at my local TCS race. My batteries are 3 years old and I bought A single FT 21.5, pulled it out of the box and ran it. I knew I would be at a disadvantage to the guys who had new(er) batteries and had bought several motors, tested them, moved the rotors/sensor boards/stators around and tested more. Doing this you can most likely be able to make a "best motor out of the bunch". I'm sure you'll see a performance increase.

Another thing usually overlooked when it comes to judging straightaway speed, especially with these slower minis is how was your entry line? If you don't have a good run coming onto the straight and the racer behind you does, they are going to be significantly faster than you on the straight. Granted you said it was a long straight, but their run-up to top speed will still be sooner and they'll seem faster. The better batteries and motor will be more apparent towards the end of a super-long straight.

The MO5 is still a good car, and as Nerobro said above, theoretically should have roughly the same top speed due to the same gear ratios.

Go through the car checking everything, reset the ESC and DRIVE. After that, better batteries and motor(s) should be your next step. The electronics can always transfer over to an MO7 chassis if you go that route, but you'll still end up with a slow MO7 if you don't take the proper preparation steps. Mini is a class that should above all be just a blast to drive. Hope this can help some.
Markus likes this.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Nailed it...clean bearings and the biggie...entrance into the straight. The sooner the car is setup coming onto the straight the faster the car will seem. You will get that (he’s running over me at the end of the straight) comments when the fast driver gets the car settled and straight much sooner. Makes a huge difference.
Markus and NutDriver like this.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

lol
Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any Video, Results links from Fresno?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.