Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

According to the rules under Euro truck

​Batteries: Any stick-pack type, hard round case LiPO, NiCD, or Ni-MH is permitted. Examples: Reedy Wolf-Pack or Peak Racing Powermax batteries.​​​​​​
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kregger
According to the rules under Euro truck

​Batteries: Any stick-pack type, hard round case LiPO, NiCD, or Ni-MH is permitted. Examples: Reedy Wolf-Pack or Peak Racing Powermax batteries.​​​​​​
so the way I see it is it does not have to be roar legal. But round hardcase pack. So the turnigy pack I have, https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-4200mah-2s2p-40-80c-hardcase-stick-pack.html?___store=en_us is perfectly legal then. I just dont want to here no crying about it when I show up to a race.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scionara05
so the way I see it is it does not have to be roar legal. But round hardcase pack. So the turnigy pack I have, https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us is perfectly legal then. I just dont want to here no crying about it when I show up to a race.
Go to tamiya USA web site and download the 2019 rules. In the beginning of the rules it says that the sport packs don't have to be roar legal.
Scionara05 likes this.

Last edited by Kregger; 02-14-2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: stupid auto correct on tablet
Old 02-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Under batteries

4. NOTE: Despite the ROAR approved list, Sport Packs (round HARD case LithiumPolymer (Li-Po) batteries) may be used on Tamiya models where only a round case battery will fit. This type of battery does not need to be ROAR approved.
Scionara05 likes this.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kokoyang
Hello,

To eliminate possible ambiguities on this topic, may I request to get a final objective interpretation on #7 of the Tires TCS rule:

"It is not permitted to apply super glue on the horizontal surface of the tire to alter
traction characteristics."

If my understanding is correct, "horizontal surface" pertains to the part of the tire that touches the ground, i.e., the part of the tire with treads. Therefore, supergluing sidewalls by any amount, is legal, for as long as it does not "overflow" to the treaded part of the tire.

Is this correct?

Thank you! =)
Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
What you stated is correct. However...... at the 2018 TCS race at TQ RC Racing (indoor track with black CRC carpet), it was decided by TCS staff to allow gluing onto the top "treaded" section otherwise the Euro trucks would traction roll everywhere. If the TCS race you plan to run is indoor black carpet, I would suggest you contact the track to see what will be allowed.

Panda
Can we get a green light on this?
Now that I've got one of these Euro racing (not parade) trucks, and knowing that glue on the tread is all it takes to get them around the track without tipping, it would make life better for all levels of drivers as well as keep the trucks off their sides on the carpet and having the drivers grabbing the throttle, spinning the wheels on said carpet trying to get them back upright.
One driver's opinion and speaking for others concerned
Nerobro likes this.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If anyone has a spare reedy 21.5 ft can they please inbox me
Old 02-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

This REEDY 21.5 FT shortage is a pain in the a$$. A single allowed motor is only alright if the race promoter & manufacturer can guarantee that sufficient stock is available, and it appears that this is not the case. Do I drive 8 hours one way for a race in Omaha on the hope that there will be motors available? Reedy was supposed to get them to my local track WCRC by Friday, but now it is "maybe" next Thursday, too late to get in time for going to Omaha. Frustrated!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Reedy 21.5 availability

Ok, a RANT and a suggestion. I've been running TCS events since 1995, and have long supported the TCS idea. I wasn't real keen on the single FT motor idea (as my former perfectly good GT2 car (TB-04) was made irrelevant by the new FT rule, as it physically can't gear low enough to be competitive for FT 21.5 motors), but decided to go with the flow and make the best of it. So we invested in not one but TWO new Tamiya cars for GT2, mine and my son's new TA-07 cars. I certainly understand the concept of trying to make the field power equal, and from personal experience have been "motored" into lower finishes by an inability to get the best "motor of the month" before a TCS race. But if you pick a single motor for an event, then you have to make sure everyone has the motors in sufficient quantities available for the race. I'm sure the idea of just selecting Reedy as the sole motor provider was good intentioned, but for one reason or another that "good intention" has become a "FUBAR" situation, with Reedy's being out of stock everywhere, including at supplier/manufacturer Associated Electronics, for many many weeks. From what I see from posts above, Reedy MAY have them "in house" by 2/21/2019, and this weekend races are two days later. I don't regularly play the lottery, but I'm not holding my breath on that alleged magical 2/21/19 appearance in California then making it's way across the country in a day to Omaha and Maryland. My "local" track (2+ hours away) and next round TCS race destination Windy City RC was supposed to have them in late this week, but alas they did not arrive, and they now they say maybe they will arrive next Thursday, too late to use for the upcoming weekend in Omaha.

Two classes are dependent on the 21.5, both Mini and GT2.

Suggestion: How about letting people run the Hobbywing 21.5 Juststock motor at the upcoming weekends events (Omaha, Maryland) in the event the Reedy 21.5 FTs are unavailable for everyone? Seems to be an equivalent motor that is actually readily available.. I tried to plan ahead for TCS by months, but the one Reedy 21.5 I did find months ago blew up with a cooling fan failure, and the Reedy has been out of stock everywhere for many, many weeks. Really a shame to invest $$$ in a brand new hopped up Tamiya GT2 car, and then have no motors available to race!

A long time, but frustrated, TCS supporter.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Reedy said motors would be in late Jan, then early Jan and now late Jan. They just keep pushing the date and I've spent all this money on a car that's missed TCS races because I've been waiting for this motor. At least let us run the reedy m3 or something with a spec timing area on the endbell until the FT are back in stock
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Ok, a RANT and a suggestion. I've been running TCS events since 1995, and have long supported the TCS idea. I wasn't real keen on the single FT motor idea (as my former perfectly good GT2 car (TB-04) was made irrelevant by the new FT rule, as it physically can't gear low enough to be competitive for FT 21.5 motors), but decided to go with the flow and make the best of it. So we invested in not one but TWO new Tamiya cars for GT2, mine and my son's new TA-07 cars. I certainly understand the concept of trying to make the field power equal, and from personal experience have been "motored" into lower finishes by an inability to get the best "motor of the month" before a TCS race. But if you pick a single motor for an event, then you have to make sure everyone has the motors in sufficient quantities available for the race. I'm sure the idea of just selecting Reedy as the sole motor provider was good intentioned, but for one reason or another that "good intention" has become a "FUBAR" situation, with Reedy's being out of stock everywhere, including at supplier/manufacturer Associated Electronics, for many many weeks. From what I see from posts above, Reedy MAY have them "in house" by 2/21/2019, and this weekend races are two days later. I don't regularly play the lottery, but I'm not holding my breath on that alleged magical 2/21/19 appearance in California then making it's way across the country in a day to Omaha and Maryland. My "local" track (2+ hours away) and next round TCS race destination Windy City RC was supposed to have them in late this week, but alas they did not arrive, and they now they say maybe they will arrive next Thursday, too late to use for the upcoming weekend in Omaha.

Suggestion: How about letting people run the Hobbywing 21.5 Juststock motor at the upcoming weekends events (Omaha, Maryland) in the event the Reedy 21.5 FTs are unavailable for everyone? Seems to be an equivalent motor that is actually readily available.. I tried to plan ahead for TCS by months, but the one Reedy 21.5 I did find months ago blew up with a cooling fan failure, and the Reedy has been out of stock everywhere for many, many weeks. Really a shame to invest $$$ in a brand new hopped up Tamiya GT2 car, and then have no motors available to race!

We run them together at Windy City in the 21.5TC class and they run about the same from what I hear. It would be a much better solution than losing racers because they can't get motors to run the class.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When single motor rules are put into place, there is a lot of work between Tamiya America and the supplying brand to ensure that stock will be available in sufficient quantities prior to the first race of the season. This also involves a lot of testing with different chassis. Something to remember though is that this is essentially a one man show running TCS in addition to all of the regular marketing for Tamiya America. If there are issues with motors, I assure you that this is known at Tamiya and changes will be made as needed. Typically, they go to some sort of "open motor" concept until the motor issues is no more.

Understand the frustration of being able to get motors, and time running out as well. I would ensure you relay any concerns with the host site as well so they may work with Tamiya to make the right decisions for their event in a timely manner.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation

Originally Posted by minidriver

I completely agree Minidriver. We have both been in this game since 1999 Starting at Green Bay Rd Trackside Hobbies . With no true Midwest home I have been on the outside looking in for the last 2 years. In that time I found out my M03 is illegal ( which shares 80%of the same parts as an M05 ) BUT I can run my 1999 TA01 IN GT2 ?????

Back to the the motor issue though. Tamiya could have just made the "Torque Tuned motor" the motor for : MINI, and GT PRO SPEC. These are Tamiya motors so they make the money on them and are readily available at a whopping $15-$20. Anyone who has been around racing long enough knows how to " tune " the Johnson motor for more power but the physical construction of the " mabuchi motor " does not vary much in speed from motor to motor. It would have been a fine choice and comes with almost every new kit. If you don't know what I am talking about then you were buying " Red Dot motors " a few years ago.

The brushless motors are not equal and it seems people are cooking them on a Grill ( LOL ) To get more rpm.

bottom line ...... Just get us some motors please.... sorry for the rant, but I have a new M05 version 2 now collecting dust and in search of a motor just like everyone else!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:07 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike.a
Back to the the motor issue though. Tamiya could have just made the "Torque Tuned motor" the motor for : MINI, and GT PRO SPEC. These are Tamiya motors so they make the money on them and are readily available at a whopping $15-$20. Anyone who has been around racing long enough knows how to " tune " the Johnson motor for more power but the physical construction of the " mabuchi motor " does not vary much in speed from motor to motor. It would have been a fine choice and comes with almost every new kit. If you don't know what I am talking about then you were buying " Red Dot motors " a few years ago.
Silvercans always seemed like a good option, but had many issues in practice:
1) Tamiya got many complaints that the motors were not relevant to any of series of racing outside of TCS, and people were only buying these motors for a race or two a year.
2) No, not everyone knows silvercan tuning tricks, and this was a big problem when a new racer would jump into TCS into a "entry" class like mini and get smoked and have no clue why. Not all fellow racers were open to share their tuning tips.
3) These motors do vary wildly from each other. When we tested them during TCS one season, the range was 2000 rpm from high to low on a brand new motor. The motors also do not all break in the same even with the tricks.
4) People were still stock piling these motors in the dozens to find that good motor or two. This would result in over $100 in bills for a "cheap" silvercan
5) Different versions of these motors are frequently swapped in and out based on supply when kits are produced also leading to issues of being on a level playing field
6) Very hard to tech.
7) Rare Earth magnets....

Then if you get into the brushed motors Tamiya offers you run into people digging out their old lathes, and messing with springs to get more RPM. It really never ends with the motor working. There is no perfect solution. As you stated, the main issue is just getting a motor, and I would continue to talk to the host site who is no doubt in touch with Tamiya America to get a solution in place that works for their track and the racers.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

TL;DR: Nothing I'm about to discuss will help this years issues.

Well, how deep down the "hackable motor" path do you wanna go?

There's fixes for all of this. In fact, there's a whole r/c series that developed ~becasue~ of the motor wars. (I'm looking at you Can-Am)

Just to throw it out there. I like "motor claim" rules, especially on cheap motors. Heck force a motor claim on the top 10% of racers. I like "pots" of motors that get handed out for each race day. This just needs to be done ~enough~ that nobody will put the effort into tweaking motors anymore.

Another thought is to go with a "weird" motor. We already have fixed gearing. Getting a mass produced quadcopter motor is ... Well the rotor riot people are selling theirs for $25 each. Those motors can do 100's of watts. They should be very happy with the ~around 65watts~ we need for Mini, and Gt1. Instead of going to reedy and praying they can make motors, why not contract with one of the asian manufacturers, have them produce some motors with the shaft out the bottom. Maybe they could even integrate sensor boards.

Something tells me that could be done for less than $50 retail.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nerobro
TL;DR: Nothing I'm about to discuss will help this years issues.

Well, how deep down the "hackable motor" path do you wanna go?

There's fixes for all of this. In fact, there's a whole r/c series that developed ~becasue~ of the motor wars. (I'm looking at you Can-Am)

Just to throw it out there. I like "motor claim" rules, especially on cheap motors. Heck force a motor claim on the top 10% of racers. I like "pots" of motors that get handed out for each race day. This just needs to be done ~enough~ that nobody will put the effort into tweaking motors anymore.

Another thought is to go with a "weird" motor. We already have fixed gearing. Getting a mass produced quadcopter motor is ... Well the rotor riot people are selling theirs for $25 each. Those motors can do 100's of watts. They should be very happy with the ~around 65watts~ we need for Mini, and Gt1. Instead of going to reedy and praying they can make motors, why not contract with one of the asian manufacturers, have them produce some motors with the shaft out the bottom. Maybe they could even integrate sensor boards.

Something tells me that could be done for less than $50 retail.
Very simple....

Torque Tuned motor. Part# 54358 not all "silver cans"

Rpm limit is 23,500 rpm

thats the last time I will bring it up. It really doesn't matter to me what we run, but we just need to have part availability.

The same guys are always in the top 5 or 10 no matter what we run, just get us a motor. I only need one!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.