Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Difuser
Final schedule has not been released yet. We have asked for a date change for the Seattle Regional. The new date that is tentative is 1-2 April (no jokes here) We are planning on having some fun with the date at the race also. Hopefully this will give a few out of towners the oppurtunity to come as it is not so close to the Nationals date.
That might be doable for some of us Cali folks, with an earlier date. Fremont was a blast last year, and running up to Seattle sounds cool. Know where I can get a good cup of coffee up there? Jaz Kiddin... What's the weather like up there in April? The race is outdoors, or indoors? I see the "SIR" in your sig, but I don't want to assume that's where the TCS race is held at.

I would like to see the 2006 schedule & rules posted earlier too. I have to choose my vacation times in November, for the following year. It would be nice to know what tire they are planning on running too, so I can start stocking up now.

TC
Old 10-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsrbltoys
This problem really is not helped with the current distribution companies ie horizon, great planes etc. They "faze out" items that are not moving (which is a common practice), and don't realise it may be a seasonal item. Their computer notices that they have a need to up the on hand quantity for an item such as "B3's" just in time for winter to hit, when the "A" is the tire people would want for colder climate. Now they are stuck with a product that really won't sell till next year. Only problem is that these warehouses "close out" non moving parts, and discontinue it, and change it to a non-stocking part.
Don't ask me why my brain started thinking about this.

Basically what it comes down to is this is all Tamiya's fault. Don't get me wrong, the TCS/Tamiya series is the best around. I am not bashing Tamiya for what it is doing, it is what it is not doing which is not meant to bash.

The Spike in Tamiya buying is usually a month before the 1st TCS race to the Nationals. Other than the dihards (myself included) who continue to run Tamiya cars, there is no real incentive to run them year-round. Guys usually shelf them till the next TCS race.

Other than a new car releases there is a 5 to 6 month lull in sales. Tamiya scares people away with the car-of-the-month club mentality. Hobbyshops are afraid to stock parts for fear of getting stuck with the car from last month. It might be a bit of an exaggeration but the heart of the matter is true. So hobbyshops don't try to stock Tamiya parts and distributors close out parts due to lack of sales.

What is the answer, get rid of the 5 to 6 month lull. I always think it is great when Tamiya flys out 1 or 2 reps to handle the TCS races. I would think to help Tamiya's sales giving the top 3 to 5 tracks in attendance a 2nd chance to hold a 1 day TCS race during the lull. They could call it something like the TCS Legacy series and keep it simple. Don't hand out shirts, don't fly out a rep and have decent prizes for winners/raffle. If they let the tracks handle the race, that might be good too and might encourage them to hold their own Tamiya Series races outside of the regular series.

Heck if they really wanted to tracks can silkscreen their own shirts for this bonus series.

Just a thought,..... it's not my company.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Jeff,
I think its a great idea, but the question is how do you get the tracks and shops to buy into it?
We have an F1 series in Detroit that has 10-15 regular competitors for a once a month race. Maybe they (Tamiya) should do more local series, less regionals and make qualifying for the nats more significant.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So what are the rumours?

New 2wd foamie class?

F201 in 06? Or F-xxx?

Locations...any new ones?

the wait is killing me...gimmie a Georgia, Florida, Alabama race and Ill hit all 3!

Paul
Old 10-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Doc, for the last two years we have been running the spec class with the kit tires. They worked fine on our track at burien. The only problem is wear, they didn't have much of a life. Now at the new track SIR, we have changed it to the more common CS27. We still sell the A's, B3's, and even the B2's are finally almost gone. I still disagree about the two cars. These are two kits that take way too much to make "driveable"! TL for example, add new suspension, or at least the toe in uprights, maybe the shocks, and of course bearings.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Jeff,
I think its a great idea, but the question is how do you get the tracks and shops to buy into it?
We have an F1 series in Detroit that has 10-15 regular competitors for a once a month race. Maybe they (Tamiya) should do more local series, less regionals and make qualifying for the nats more significant.
Brad,

That is a hard call to make.

If it were me I would NOT reduce the amount of tracks in the series but use them as a foundation for building more Tamiya racing. The tracks in the series I would encourage them to run a 6 or 8 race Tamiya series, give a good deal on parts for their TCS racing (maybe a once a year deal or what ever works) and good prizes guarenteed for their TCS race. If they only do the TCS regional then it will be status quo depending on entries registered to the race would dictate how much investment Tamiya would make at their regional race.

For tracks outside the TCS regional series that wishes to pull off a 6 to 8 race Tamiya series I would offer nice prizes for the final race or final tally of the points, give a cap deal on discounts and promote them through the Tamiya website.

I think the distinction would be the track would run their Series "local" series with a paid entry and Tamiya would still run the regional free races.

With a little imagination I think something like this could be very beneficial for Tamiya, sales of kits and sales of parts. It would get rid of that 6 month dead space, make regionals more exciting as well as more important and maybe there would be more hype for the Nationals, which seems to be an afterthought for quite a few of the magazines.

If something like this were to work. There would be more races, more demand for parts, hobbyshops tired of ordering for demanding customers might stock common parts and tracks excited about watching Minis, F1s and regulated TCS sedans running around the track.

If there were more tracks in my area racing Tamiya I probably would do my own little tour racing them.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kevin- I agree that the box stock TB02 is a superior car that requires no hop ups to be easy to drive, adjustable, and competitive. Given the recent price drop on TB02 kits (as well as the remaining TA04's on the shelf) it may be time to add them to the list of acceptable Spec platforms. Still hate those vinyl tires, though!

Brad and Jeff- Maybe Tamiya should try to do more fall and winter events. Used to be that there was a Tamiya regional level race just about every month. Some of the tracks had two events per season, but if they can fill the roster, that's not a bad thing in my opinion. Now we have nothing thru the winter, and often the spring and summer events are very close together.

As I see it, there are two key points here:
1) indoor tracks- use them from October thru April, and then go outdoors from May thru the Nats. Assuming no December race because of the holidays, that's five indoor tracks...and you've already got great venues in Trackside, RCO, SIR and Cincinnatti. Find another indoor facility or two somewhere that buys a reasonable amount of Tamiya stuff (they should know who buys it) and there you have it.
2) do an event each month and get rid of the two/three week gaps between races followed by a month or two of empty space in the schedule. Keep things moving.

For outdoor tracks, there's already Laurel, Aliso, Memphis and SFO- if Atlanta still has a race, there's your five outdoor tracks. This is no knock on Fred or Tamiya, by the way. Great company, super folks, and they do a very nice (and frequently thankless) job of making this series work. In fact, I think we should all go out and buy a new kit just to show them how much we love 'em.

Another thing to consider: drop GT3 (I know, I know...) and make GT2 a mabuchi class like the Nats- don't understand why we have a 'stock motor' class all year and then run 540's in Aliso. So that makes the sedan classes GT1 (19Turn), GT2 (540) and Spec (Novice), plus Mini FWD and Mini RWD (which Fred seems to really want to do) and...what? F201? CLass C (Benz, Mazda, Jag, etc). Not trying to stir things up here, just thinking out loud...

Later
Doc
Old 10-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
CLass C (Benz, Mazda, Jag, etc). Not trying to stir things up here, just thinking out loud...

Later
Doc
these cars are fun to drive minimal hopups needed to get it up and running. cars are prepainted and inexpensive. stupid fast with a stock motor too

is it christmas yet? i cant wait to get mine
Old 10-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

With all this speculation it sounds like the best idea for newcomers to TCS such as myself is to hold off on buying a new chassis until the format/classes for next has been announced!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

If I were buying a new chassis (which I am) it would (will) be a TA05. I think with some development it will work for any of the GT classes no matter what they are. Not only that but I think it will be competitive. Doc I couldn't agree more with everything in the last post. Hopefully Fred and company agree as well. To anyone else out there that thinks we are complaining or dont like TCS, it is quite the contrary, the stuff being discussed here is to insure the longevity of the TCS and to keep it growing.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccardr
Not trying to stir things up here, just thinking out loud...
Doc,

All good points to agree with.

I would like to see going back to 2 races a year at the regional tracks. I don't think Tamiya wants to do that.

Many of the buddies who I race Tamiya's with don't do the hey lets travel to a TCS race like you or I do. Ten to fourteen hour roadtrips don't seem to settle well with many folk. I could not even convince some to make the 5 hour Ohio trip. Which is why I would think a monthly series locally could be an option for local tracks to adopt. Easy to put into ones shedule.

Mini's seem to be going on an up-swing locally and I think seperating the Fwd from Rwd is a good idea. Once my M01/M02 was outlawed I did not feel like jumping into a class where I needed 2 vehicles to compete.

Dropping the GT2 class is a hard call. It is on of the most popular sedan classes outside the TCS series in the US. Within the series it has good support. It is also a middle of the road class for those who wanna move up without going hard-core 415MSx or Evox. I do like the idea of having certain bodies for certain classes though... Makes an easier distinction as far as classes go.

There are many changes that the Tamiya crew could make. They could even align closer to Japan's class rules, qualifying rules and racing procedures. That could be cool to step away from the norm. We all are thinking out loud, no rules are set, well only in Fred's brain... Maybe Fred has his reading goggles on and is soaking in some of this stuff.

Anyway I probably should get back to doing something more constructive. I hope Fred gets the 06 rules out asap..... as well as the races so we can plan! ! !

Jeff
Old 10-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
If I were buying a new chassis (which I am) it would (will) be a TA05.
Yes! Me too....
Old 10-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

I dont think anyone is suggesting doing away with GT2, more like rescoping it. Us Tamiya guys are definitely a different breed. I hope that all this Vegas business hasnt put Scotty out of the TCS business. Scotty, now that you're a big league race promoter your not going Hollywood on us are you?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

Default classes and rules

I wish TamiyaUSA would go ahead and make the rules consistent across the classes. Don't try to make Tamiya racing the same as the anything goes.

At the world finals, the rules list spur/pinion combinations that give different cars the approximately same roll out. Some cars such as front wheel drive, are given slightly different roll out so they can be competitive. Tamiya already specifies which motor and which tire we can use, so why not go all the way?
I know here in the states people scream about not being able to decide for themselves, but I think it would make the racing even more fun if we all had to run gearing rules such as the spec and mini classes.
Just my two-cent's worth.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

I forgot to suggest that TamiyaUSA races use 23-turn motors instead of 27 turn motors throughout the season. Not just at the finals. The extra power makes the heavier Tamiya cars come alive.

And make GT1 run a really hot by running a current version of a motor like the old 13-or 14-turn Tamiya Acto-power motors instead of some generic 19-turn.

And why not make some Tamiya 23-turn motor available at competitive prices? At around $30 bucks they should fly off the shelves. But not at $60. Modified Tamiya motors are pretty rare items. Collectibles.

It also seems the motors for the finals are chosen due to availability. The finals are the biggest race of the season, at the biggest baddest track in the USA, so why not power up for every class? Imagine ten mini's with the black can 23-turn single wind Sport-tuned motor. With that kind of power, a car could recover from a wreck.

Imagine the F1 class with 13-turn motors instead of 23-turn motors. Every car would be fast, not just a select few that found the perfect setup and battery, and I think that racing would be at least as good as what we have now.

Just my thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.