Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree791Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 106 (99%+)

There is nothing wrong woth the TCS series, quit trying to change it....

Just not allow sponsored drivers and have fun.

P.S. still waiting for my T-shirt.

Kevin
Old 09-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
kevin... let me see your car on sat. id like to get one of these just to drive something different.
No problem. The only thing I changed on the kit was hex head screws instead of phillips head, and bearings in place of some of the plastic and bronze bushings. I was tempted to pull the titanium rear axle out of the F103 but decided to just try it all stock. The prepainted MB body had the headlights masked off so thinking off adding lights tonight just for grins and giggles.

I drove it around in the office last night since as I was the usual last one to leave. Handled OK on carpet. Just not sure what those foams will do at Tamiya. Oh yeah, and have to look for little tiny .06 pinions now (like 11-15T).

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 09-23-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I believe that any of the motor mounts will work, I know for sure that the early cast aluminum one works because that is what I have on my car. If I get a chance I will snap some pics and post them.
Thanks BP Shadow. I only have the F103 height adjustable version. If I have just too much fun this weekend, I might get serious and try that out to see if it will work / fit.

As for the TCS series. Leave it alone, tires and all. I have 30 sets of Tamiya tires. For people who can't seem to get them, don't wait a week before the race to try to buy them. If your LHS is out or doesn't have them, there are lots of mail order places that stock them. Support your local LHS is great to do, but if they don't support the parts you need, get them from someone who has them. For spec class, the race promoters need to watch who runs, and it sounds like most do a good job of that. Heck, I was 41 when I ran my first R/C race up there on the drivers stand with them 8 year olds so it just isn't about age. It's about driving skill. Spec is a great place for racers of all size, shape, color, and gender to run that would otherwise get lapped 2-3 times + in a 5 minute GT-2 or GT-3 class. Makes it safer and more fun for all.

Group C would be a fun class for '06, but when you can only run 2 classes at a regional and already have an F201, GT-1, GT-2, and GT-3 car, it's a tough choice which to give up. How about let racers run up to four classes at regionals ?

Oh yeah, and bring back the T-shirts !
Old 09-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Group C would be a fun class for '06, but when you can only run 2 classes at a regional and already have an F201, GT-1, GT-2, and GT-3 car, it's a tough choice which to give up. How about let racers run up to four classes at regionals ?
Don't you still have a M04L too? So don't forget about RWD Mini class.

TC
Old 09-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
For people who can't seem to get them, don't wait a week before the race to try to buy them. If your LHS is out or doesn't have them, there are lots of mail order places that stock them. Support your local LHS is great to do, but if they don't support the parts you need, get them from someone who has them.
The problem I ran into was I ordered type A's through my my LHS 45 days before the Trackside TCS race. Then I went on weeks vacation came back and they were not in yet. The guy who I work with from the LHS has 5 distributors he works through getting what I need. The LHS was promised many dates and everydate fell through. This has never happened in this matter with the LHS and he even calls Tamiya. Usually orders are pretty black and white. I considered ordering 2 weeks before the race from overseas, it was too late to get something and I did not want to pay rush charges.

About a week before the TCS race I called Trackside to have sets put aside for me, I have done it in the past. Upon arrival even Trackside was shorted sets. They only had a handful to sell out of which went to the 1st people on their hold list. I don't think even Tamiya had sets to sell in the warehouse at this point.

I know there were many people that used their LHS and did not get any tires which was not really broadcast until the race. The ones that did get tires ordered 60 days or more in advance from either Japan or China.

If Tamiya cannot supply tires for their races, racers or hobbyshops, I would be open for a better solution. The best would be 1 or 2 types of pre-mounts.

Yes I do have a ton of Tamiya tires.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK, I believe I will step in again. The problem as I see it is the availability of tires to the host sites.
One of the issues I have seen, after working in these situations is the availablity of tires from japan to the US. I think its obvious by now that tamiya has had some issues of getting the popular parts that people will use to the tracks that host the races. Personaly I would like to see something from tamiya to address this issue. It has been going on for over a year, and the problem has not been resolved as of yet. I have heard many rumors of changes in their order personel there, but none seem to be able to help this issue in particular.
This problem really is not helped with the current distribution companies ie horizon, great planes etc. They "faze out" items that are not moving (which is a common practice), and don't realise it may be a seasonal item. Their computer notices that they have a need to up the on hand quantity for an item such as "B3's" just in time for winter to hit, when the "A" is the tire people would want for colder climate. Now they are stuck with a product that really won't sell till next year. Only problem is that these warehouses "close out" non moving parts, and discontinue it, and change it to a non-stocking part.
Another issue I find is that the host site doesn't run the TCS rules all year long. They allow other tires to be run, or may not even have a quote TAMIYA program thougout the year. If the track emphasized the use of a tamiya tire year round then everyone would have them, and the warehouses could keep better track of the sales, and realize that it is a seasonal part, and stock acordingly. I have seen the same thing with the foam tires. Ever tried to find a popular foam tire in november??? Good F'n luck!
I like the idea of a tire that works everywhere, and the cs27 seams to fit that very well. Unfortunatly the sales of these tires does't help Tamiya America in any way. Without the sales that Tamiya America sees, the less that we see at the regional and national events. If we have to go outside of Tamiya America with purchases from overseas this also hurts the sales that Tamiya America is able to report back to Japan.
Now you see less dramatic items as prizes at the races, and the lack of shirts, etc. I can't remember the number of times that I was promised that I would recieve something in the mail that was overlooked at an event (correct size shirt or whatever), and it never showed. I can also tell you that it really is upsetting to some of the sites late in the season, they seem to get passed over on some the beter prizes / shirts. Last year at the burien TCS regional no-one got the event shirt, there were some plain tamiya t-shirts, but not the event shirt. This year was a little better, had shirts, but out of the popular sizes, an you still see the lack of prizes later in the season. At the early races I heard some of the winners got evo's and such, and at nationals we are left with a much lesser kit. In previous years they gave a kit to each of the podioum spots, even the best of show has gotten a car kit. Now its down to a body, or hat, for all the work you did to get there, and finish well.

I am not in this for the money, or the freebies. I could easily go out have have this stuff made up for a lot less than what I have into the tamiya product that I have purchased. Hell, I could have easily paid for my car almost twice by now if I didn't spend anything on this hobby. I like the idea of a shirt that I can wear around and "advertise" the product I enjoy, but a cool pit pass, what are you supposed to do with those after the race. Yeah they look cool, but are you gonna wear it out to the beach, I think not!

Ok
Thanks for listening
Kevin Michellich
Old 09-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

I have been racing TCS for three years now. In '03 and '04, I only ran at the Tamiya R&D track. In '05. I ventured up to Fremont with some friends and had a great time at their event also. Here is what I experienced and learned over the years.

First TCS race June '03. Been racing for two whole months. Heard it's always hot, so bought the B2 tires (did not have the "connection" yet to find B's and was too hot for A's). Guess what, cool overcast weather came in and it was "A" tire's all weekend. Sure was fun running a 414MII in GT-1 on B2's without tire warmers when everyone else was on A's (except for my brother that had about 1 month experience at that time). Lesson learned, I have always stocked up early and never been short on tires since.

As for awards, I would like to know what venue was handing out EVO's ? It was all plastic tub cars at Fremont, June Tamiya TCS, and at the Nats. For concourse, have racked up a few since '04. Got some neat hats and certificates, but no kits. Colud have been '02 or earlier ?

Considering what TCS does give away (car kits to all the class winners only, the after race raffle), not to mention the employee time and effort, and the trip to Japan for three at the Nat's, I know that I appreciate all that they do.

And for the lighter side of the news....... The Group C car was a blast at Tamiya yesterday. People came up asking what it was. Foams actually worked and was VERY low maintenance. Lessons learned: If you run a Hitec servo, you will strip out the kit servo saver. A modified Kimbrough servo saver is now on. You also need to follow the instructions and use Loctite on the grub screws for the front hub shafts. Car was a blast. Even let Hebiki try it and he was hooked. I just glued the stock foams on (they come pre-trued). You can talk about tire wear by how many weekends you can run them , not by runs. Oh yeah, and ballistic fast with just a 27T in it. The second questions asked after "what is it ?" was "what's in that thing ?". This will definetly be my off season, goof off and have fun. low maintenance / low cost car for sure.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

dsr- you bring up many good points and I too have been short changed on shirts as well. What alot of people are failing to understand here is that most of us do plan ahead and the fault isnt really Tamiya America as much as it is the distributors. I believe it was about 2 years ago when the long shoremen went on strike, Tamiya had big problems getting product into the states. But I digress. The way that the distributors project their arrival dates is pretty poor, I have waited 6 to 8 weeks for parts that never showed and the were supposedly recieved at the distributor.
cbr- the evos were given out at Trackside for the 10th anniversery event. Trackside is the only track in the TCS that has hosted all 10 years other than Tamiya America.
I am not opposed to running non Tamiya rubber at the regionals, but it doesn't really solve the distribution problem for other items.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Considering that the race at Trackside was a 10th anniversary and the long support they have done with Tamiya, I think that was fitting they had "special" kits for that race (the Evo's). Makes sense to me.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

yeah, I'm bummed that I missed that one, everyone that I know that went had a blast. I had a family deal to do that weekend. I wonder when the 06 schedule will hit.Probably after the Vegas haze burns off from last week.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lbckevin
There is nothing wrong woth the TCS series, quit trying to change it....

Just not allow sponsored drivers and have fun.

P.S. still waiting for my T-shirt.

Kevin
I disagree with the notion that someone has an input or two that someone else automatically concludes that the person with idea wants the series changed.

Input(s) is an input(s). Whether Tamiya is going to take it in or not is all up to them. Please, don't shut me down just because...I really feel that there is a need for a better bridge between Spec and GT3 to keep the fire in the newer generation burning. If the Spec meant to be for beginners, I would like to see the options being minimum just like when the class was introduced last year so the rookie can focus on the two most important things in RC: drive well and have fun.

I also feel that GT3 is a bit steep hill for these rookie graduate to climb that it could've been another class by simply adding the faster motor to make it as decent class before graduating to GT2. Therefore, a GT4 or Intermediate Spec would be a perfect graduation present for these drivers.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

I agree, the spec class is where we need to focus on, to bring new people, and blood into the hobby. I don't believe the TT, and TL are the platforms to do this with. A car with no caster, and no rear toe, just makes it hard for a beginer to learn how to drive. Its just not right to ask a person to add a bunch of parts to a car they just bought, just to make it drive straight, and not spin in the corners. We have been running a box stock TB02 spec class for quite some time, and its a great way for people to get into a car that is capable, without having to buy additional parts, or having to know all the secrets of speed. We use the TB02 as a box stock class, and only let a few experienced racers that understand they are not out to win the class, only to help the beginner understand the concepts of racing on a track with others, over just playing in a parking lot. We have been kinda specializing in helping the beginer to intermediate driver, when you notice a car is undriveable, go look at it, maybe its built wrong, or a simple setup gone wrong. I have been known to remove laps when the experienced racer puts a lap on the beginner, and to add laps to the beginner, just to make it seem like they are doing better than it may look. I would like to see a major change in the spec class into one that uses a car that can be driven by a "beginer". The TL, and TT platforms just require too much to make the car drivable, espesially for a beginer.

Kevin
Old 09-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kevin-
Are your Spec racers permitted to use tires other than the vinyl ones mandated by TCS Spec? If you ask me, tires are the largest barrier to 'fun' in the class right now. With narrow A's or B3's (which with the 540's should last as long as the kit tires) depending on the track temp, these cars are MUCH easier to drive, allowing the drivers to concentrate on learning a good line and getting used to traffic. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with either the TT or TL platforms (let's face it, they're pretty basic and inexpensive cars) given the limit on power and options in the class, but also think there is room to add the TA/TB series platforms to it with equivalent gearing.

Just my $.02...and worth what you paid for it!

Later
Doc
Old 09-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Doc brings up some very good points.
I was starting to think about it though and is it just me or are there starting to be too many classes in TCS ? Especially if you now split mini into two groups. What to me would make more sense is if you phase out the older mini chassis, and just run the new one, do away with "SPEC" and make GT3 the spec class and limit the chassis types that can run there. Why do all of this?
1. Better distinction between the classes
2. Streamline the events, the more individual classes the more heats, the more heats = longer race days. When you at the track until 8PM on a Sunday night and have to drive 300+ miles to get home it kind of takes the fun out of it.
3. Eliminating the "Cherrypickers" , if someone is running a TL or TT series car, more than likely they are a beginner. Keep the TA and TB series in T1 and 2
The tire sugestion is a good one. Even if they allowed the old M-Grips or super slicks or the 26mm Type A's and B's would be an improvement and would help the learning curve.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My only concern with eliminating spec and moving them into GT3 would be that some will believe that the faster guys who still run GT3 are cherry picking. The TCS regionals are the only times I get to race with Mabuchi motors throughout the year, and since thats what we have to use for Nationals, that time is invaluable. Compare that to the guys who have dedicated Mabuchi classes at their tracks. There's a competitive disadvantage for those who aren't that lucky. I still think there's a place for the entry level racers, perhaps just doing a "GT3-Spec" class with limited hop ups and perhaps 26mm A's. I agree with Doc that the kit tires suck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.