Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-08-2017, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Fred, two suggestions to consider for 2018.

1.) Locked timing 21.5 motor. I believe Reedy has released a version or planning to. I mistaklenly purchased a 21.5 1s Reedy motor and realized it was illegal and had to purchase the legal one track side. The potential issue is someone can swap the rotor and put the 273 in a short stack can, making it difficult to tech.

2.) Spec Tire for Novice. Please consider allowing the 26mm Type B tire. This tire makes a huge difference for novice racers. We tried a set during the club racing on Saturday and the laps times and drive ability was significantly better. For the TCS race we went back to the semi slick tire and basically everyone was drifting around the track. The kit tires provide virtually not grip and lead to frustration, especially for a novice. Even the adults in novice were complaining.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.
KA2AEV likes this.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Just want to thank Fred and Tamiya for continuing to support their customers by putting on this wonderful race series. They are doing such an excellent thing for the broader r/c community. This is the only place I consistently see new racers, novice classes, and factory support.

The Brownies Hobbies / Jackson Raceway TCS event just wrapped up (as noted above by one very proud dad!) and it was all smiles as usual. The organizers did a fantastic job moving the program along, a bunch of us ex-announcers got to take our turn on the mic and the racing was fierce as usual! Just wish I could make it to the Nationals this year...some day.
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Jackson TCS Race: Results are in, 99 entries and the best venue in RC racing. Thank you Fred and Tamiya for keeping this series alive and well. To echo Greg's remarks, there is no other RC event where each year you see new faces in the hobby. Congrats to all the winners but more importantly, the novice spec racers of all ages. I believe the youngest was 7 years old. Hats of to Aiden for a fantastic come back to win the class.
Yea. What they say...
Seriously... Thankyou John Brown for letting Jackson RC host these events.
It is our pleasure.... but..,the smiles on the kids faces.., priceless!!

Thanks again to all that participated
Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I know this isn't going to happen, and I know it's because logistics and the fact that is a free series to race, etc....but man I wish the Nats would rotate to a carpet facility every other year or so. It'd be awesome to have some rug racers make it to Worlds! I know the carpet is nothing like what we're used to racing in the US but still...all that rug experience has to count for something?

I'd even be willing to pay for series/Nats races to make that possible...anyways...just wishing lol.

California here we come! We'll see if us midwestern corn eaters can keep up!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

This is my 4th year at Jackson to attend TCS race, 8 hrs drive from Montreal Canada to have some RC fun with cool people

Below are links for some of the mains... we had very close racing in GT2 and GT pro spec..

I apologize for not having all mains.... phone memory was full!

Spec Novice Bmain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUpGDxsGOmY&t=143s

GT2 - Amain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rko8fG8OWf8&t=201s

GT Pro Spec - Amain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1Y5ct7SAc&t=42s

Euro Truck - Amain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBpA0qZcGXE&t=285s
k_bojar, gearhead_22 and KA2AEV like this.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Fred, two suggestions to consider for 2018.

1.) Locked timing 21.5 motor. I believe Reedy has released a version or planning to. I mistaklenly purchased a 21.5 1s Reedy motor and realized it was illegal and had to purchase the legal one track side. The potential issue is someone can swap the rotor and put the 273 in a short stack can, making it difficult to tech.

2.) Spec Tire for Novice. Please consider allowing the 26mm Type B tire. This tire makes a huge difference for novice racers. We tried a set during the club racing on Saturday and the laps times and drive ability was significantly better. For the TCS race we went back to the semi slick tire and basically everyone was drifting around the track. The kit tires provide virtually not grip and lead to frustration, especially for a novice. Even the adults in novice were complaining.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.
For Novice, have you used P/N 50419 Racing Radial Tire ? I have helped a number of friends family members and an ex-GF in Novice Spec and this tire, well worn with no inserts is the way to go for outdoor. Works great indoor too and if high grip, just run a thin insert in it.

The problem with making spec a locked timing motor is you give an even bigger advantage to people running currently available esc's that have been popped at races adding motor timing in blinky mode. Unless the tracks start using blinky busters, the whole idea of teching and tearing down motors or making spec a locked timing motor is pointless.

Panda
Old 08-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I assume we are talking about a locked timing 21.5 motor for the fixed gear ratio classes? I.E. not GT2, open gear ratio, at venues where 21.5 is the GT2 motor wind selected? That would just be stupid if we are talking about the 'open' GT classes.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
For Novice, have you used P/N 50419 Racing Radial Tire ? I have helped a number of friends family members and an ex-GF in Novice Spec and this tire, well worn with no inserts is the way to go for outdoor. Works great indoor too and if high grip, just run a thin insert in it.

The problem with making spec a locked timing motor is you give an even bigger advantage to people running currently available esc's that have been popped at races adding motor timing in blinky mode. Unless the tracks start using blinky busters, the whole idea of teching and tearing down motors or making spec a locked timing motor is pointless.

Panda
From testing the no insert 50419 is better gripping and more mild handling than the slicks and semi slicks, however it doesn't last very well at all. We are still practicing with slick with insert just to get more practice time right now. My feeling is we should have a cheap, long lasting and decent grip tire for spec novice rather than something that does not last nor grip. Ideally the spec guys should be able to practice at least 4 weekends on one set of tire so they can keep interested in the hobby.

Another issue is the torque tuned motor using available gearing on the tt02 right now can achieve faster straight line speed than GT pro spec car using untampered reedy 21.5 motor. We have proven this using the pro spec car I just built for Qing last week compared to her older spec novice car. I hope we can either reduce the speed for spec novice or increase grip level so the cars are more manageable for new people. The spec novice cars are not easy to handle even for mid level racers.

I know the included tire in TT02R, the Tamiya 51023 last okay, provides enough grip, and is not very expensive. Insert is also included which is nice. It could be a good fit if Tamiya have enough of those.

Any thoughts on that Fred?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

My cousin was running in the novice class last weekend, he built a TT02R and got the racing radial tire Set (#50419), the tires were horrible he was so frustrated that almost quite... I gave him Type B 24mm and the handling changed like day and night... it was a 4 sec improvement/laps (note it was his second time holding a radio)... then we got the kit slick tire they are better than the redial but not as good as the B's

Changing the tires rules to allow beginner to use a good set of tires will be a step froward to enjoy the hobby more.
gearhead_22 and KA2AEV like this.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rzein
My cousin was running in the novice class last weekend, he built a TT02R and got the racing radial tire Set (#50419), the tires were horrible he was so frustrated that almost quite... I gave him Type B 24mm and the handling changed like day and night... it was a 4 sec improvement/laps (note it was his second time holding a radio)... then we got the kit slick tire they are better than the redial but not as good as the B's

Changing the tires rules to allow beginner to use a good set of tires will be a step froward to enjoy the hobby more.
Good to see someone who went through the same issue sharing experiences. Do you find the included 24mm slicks providing sufficient grip? The B tires costs quite a bit more than the included slicks even without insert. When I tried the included slick it was okay and I think the car become manageable enough for novices.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
Good to see someone who went through the same issue sharing experiences. Do you find the included 24mm slicks providing sufficient grip? The B tires costs quite a bit more than the included slicks even without insert. When I tried the included slick it was okay and I think the car become manageable enough for novices.
Is the type b tire is what we can use for carpet racing ?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by King of B Main
Is the type b tire is what we can use for carpet racing ?
I think when Toby said Type B, he meant the B3's that were the spec tire these last two years. The 24mm Type B was discontinued at least 4-5 years ago. I know "a friend" who still has a few sets left sealed in zip-loc bags. The Type B the person was referring to for Novice class is the 26mm Type B. The tires we ran at TQ for carpet were Type C's. Got that all straight now ? There will be a test.

Panda
Old 08-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rzein

The secret to getting the # 50419 to work in Novice on asphalt. 1.) no insert and 2.) Buggy Grip over, and over and over to soften them up. Works great on asphalt in So Cal.

Panda
tobyzhang likes this.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Idk I mounted a set of the racing slicks without foam and the didn't last 1 day at the track. I liked the extra wear we got out of the 26mm slicks with inserts so I started building the wheels like that not for racing but just for parking lot use. I made my kids use the kit tires and learn the throttle control to stop the back end from coming around on them. Maybe it will make them better driver when they graduate to a better racing tire.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Having spend over $600 on a combination of 26mm rims and TT-01 tires for my boys to race in accordance with TCS specs we've determined based on multiple driver inputs and lap times that the 26mm Type B tire (53294) is the best compound to use. Sadly it is not legal for TCS so we used the semi slick which resulted is a 3-4 second per lap slower lap time and drifting type form of racing.

Every novice (we had 12 racing at the TCS - Jackson) complained about the Slick (50454), Semi Slick and Radial (50419). Everyone was shocked how well the Type B Tire ran and held up. Yes its more money ($22 retail), but frankly it lasts longer and will make for a more enjoyable race experience.

The irony is the novice class is designed to help introduce beginners to the TCS program and racing. It is discouraging for them to start out using tires with with zero mechanical grip. I understand the notion of low cost racing, but its no fun when the cars can barely stay on the track. Yes, everyone has to deal with the same low level of traction but I see frustration in my kids and everyone else.

Therefore, may I suggest Tamiya and Fred consider for Novice class, Tamiya allows the 26mm Type B tire (53294). To guarantee everyone has this great tire, when you register the host club can have the (53294) available for sale or Tamiya provide a few mounted sets as a hand out which is returned after the race.

Honestly, had I known how much better this tire is, I would have purchased 600 dollars worth of these tires and handed them out myself to all the novice racers.

Just a thought and hope the idea makes it is way into the rule book for 2018
tobyzhang likes this.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SMcD
I assume we are talking about a locked timing 21.5 motor for the fixed gear ratio classes? I.E. not GT2, open gear ratio, at venues where 21.5 is the GT2 motor wind selected? That would just be stupid if we are talking about the 'open' GT classes.
Yes fixed timing for TCS Mini - fixed gearing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.