Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jeff-
I'm a lucky guy. We've been married over 31 years and she still surprises me. Great lady. Oh, and HER NEW RING looks good too!
Later
Doc
Old 09-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

What a suck up
did she get you a new ta05??
see you next year
mike
Old 09-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Nope, just feelin' the love, Mike
Got a TA 05 with everything I want on it, plus batteries, electronics, the works. I'm thinking of running GT2 & GT3 with the same chassis, or maybe keeping my '04 as the GT2 car and putting the Mini away for a season.
Later
Doc
Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Leester-111
I would absoluty love that! man I hope they would do that next year cause that would make me feel so much better!

Which would come to bring me to this. At the 2001 Tamiya north americna finals
I placed 2nd behind Canadian legend Derek Hung only lost to him by a point, but here's an intresting point. If they used the scoring that you Brad used in 2001 I actually would of won and gone to Japan! Look at the combined laps for more info and look at the red highlighted numbers.

Derek Hung 100 100 97 50/15:09.05
Lee Passehl 99 99 100 51/15:13.66
Alex Hoover 98 96 98 49/15:12.92

Pretty interesting eh? Too bad I didn't go to Japan that year. That would of been so awesome!

-Lee

Now I believe this timing system would be good for the series. It would give people who don't have much of a chance of doing well a better chance and give those who don't usally win a better chance of winning.

Also I think they should bring back the Trip to Japan for the mini class. It would give Mini drivers something to shoot for and make it more interesting. I believe Devin White should have gone to Japan this year. He ran a darn good race! Not to mention he made a great comback.

-Lee
Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Minidriver you have a PM

Thanks,
Larry
Old 09-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
. . .and putting the Mini away for a season.
It definately will be weird not seeing you run mini for a season....
Old 09-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Lee,
The fast lap is only used to set the grid. Yes the finishing order is determined by the combined laps/time from the two mains. Hope this clarifies things for you. Brad
It could lead to interesting results.

Thinking in terms of the TCS series you could run 1 - 2 to 3 min qualifying run and then do 2 to 3 mains for all classes. If you did 3 mains then they could throw out the worst. If they did 2 then all would count. The number of mains would depend on time available, on a track to track basis.

A 2 day even I suppose you could run each day like a 1 day. Have qualifying 1st thing and then go into the 3 rounds of racing. So 2 days could count 4 and discard 2. The interesting thing about going by laps is that the mains don't really matter too much. If you want to win you probably would want to be in the A or B mains. Although hypothetically you could win from the D main. It would be like running in a 43 car field 10 at a time.

The 1st TCS Trackside race I think they ran 1 round and took the top 30 (usually everybody got 2 rounds) then another round for the top 20 then another round for the top 10. The wierd thing was they ran Stock and Mod sedan together. So they had 2 mixed mains and scored them seperate.

TCS Japan does something like the taking your best lap from qualifying and then running mains. Although I think they run 20 cars in a main.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Theres alot of ways you could do it, they are really just ideas. I'm not giving up on them , but I thought there might be more excitement or at least a willingness to try them at a club race or something. Tamiya will do what they want and that is fine, I will still race. I just want to do something different, I am getting bored doing the same thing over and over again. That is why I chose TCS in the first place, because it was different from anything else out there, as time goes on it is turning into just another race.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Tech Regular

You can't put the mini away
I'm waiting on the Audi A-4 2005 ta05
hope to see one soon
can't wait for next year

Just my 2 cents
it would be cool to see spec and GT-3 have to run
a 4 door sedan or a dtm body
and gt-1 and 2 could run any car body
just to break it up a bit
cya
Old 09-17-2005, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

No changes to qualifying...might as well keep it as close to all other levels of racing...why change what isn't broken? I could go with the non ifmar starts...but don't carw either way. I run Tamiya TCS for fun, to hang with friends, and to enjoy a break from the desert vacations Uncle Sam's been sending me on!

Spec...no more dudes trolling for free wins...let the kids have this one! If you have a turbo charger, a PCM, the greatest gear and a TL01...get real...move to GT3. Local race directors should police this class...nothing like beating a bunch of 8 year olds!

Bill, I agree about the bodies, the classes look the same, which Nismo/ferrari class you running?..VW BUGS FOR gt3!

Long story short, I appreciate the time Tamiya puts into this series, and I hope it lasts for years to come...my kids want to run...possibly this year.

Things I'd like to see, but am not too worried about:
F201= allow graphite chassis and I'm in! / GT1 = Stock motors (non 19x) I could do that too...or GT2 any chassis including dual deck carbon/stock motor...leaving the GT3 class for the "tubs"

Grasshopper or Lunchbox/wild willy class!
Paul
Old 09-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think the TCS series is a great series as it is. I too race in it for the laid back fun competition. I like the idea for having different body styles for the different classes. GT3 4 door Sedans, GT2 GT Class bodies, and GT1 Prototype bodies. My only issue is the Spec class, this class should be for the true novice and if you race in this class it should be the only class you are allowed to race. It bothers me when my 8 year old son is racing in this class against racers that finish in the upper B and Lower A in stock rubber mains on a regular basis during the regular weekly club races at a track. How fun can it be to lap the feild 3 times to win the Spec class. I think the other classes are just right. If you want to run spec against better drivers then GT3 is the class. I love the fact that Tamiya is the only manufacturer that puts on a series like this. Don't forget this is a free series and we should applaud Tamiya and the Host tracks for having the races.

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I dont think that anyone would argue that Tamiya does a great job. I run for fun as well, but it is still competition. I have made many friends in a lot of different places thanks to Tamiya and the TCS. I have been participating in TCS since its inception ( the first unofficial race in Pasadena and the first official race at TA hedquarters). I still enjoy it, however to me R/C racing in general needs to change in some respects. As far as the 201 goes, you dont need graphite to make it work. If you run a 19 or 23 turn the heat is not an issue. And as stated before, I couldn't agree more about differentiating the classes from each other. I think it would bring TCS back to what it used to be.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

That was Mike on that post
Bill is minimadman
are you going to make TFB next year??
see you there
Old 09-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

I heard TFB was no more...I plan on any TCS that is close enough I look forward to seeing the next schedule. Ill be retiring the TA04 at the ROAR nats in Oct. Its all TRF'd out...gosh its been a great car!

F201...the chassis/class would be SO MUCH BETTER with a dual deck chassis...having to mill out the underside of the motor on a wafer thin plastic chassis is a horrible answer to overheating, when Tamiya could produce or allow another "brands" dual deck chassis. Heck make F201 an more unlimited class (regulated batt/motor of course) but allow the other makes chassis, and no more chassis warping...i.e. better/easier to set up and work on!

I know I'm not alone when I sit here wishing more folks would run F201...but the consensus to most of the folks I know is they are too hard to make work...sorry bout goin all soapbox there!
Old 09-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Herc,
Actually what I'm hearing now is that TFB still exists in a strip mall of sorts, and Fernando plans to run in the parking lot. So an Atlanta TCS might happen next year.....but we'll have to wait for Fred to put the schedule up first. I sure will miss that first class track though.

I will probably run M04 mini next year if they split the classes. I really liked my M04, but that one tooth gear disadvantage was a killer on the long tracks. Running a rear-wheel drive in the rain at TFB wasn't very smart either.

I'm torn on GT1 or GT2. I sold my 415, but I really have the urge to build a TA05 for GT2 next year. However, if F201 stays, I might pick one up and run it instead.

I would like to make 3-4 TCS Regionals next year, but it all depends on the schedule. The family wants to go to California with me next year, but we'll have to see about school schedules.

Keep up the good work, Tamiya. Your TCS Series is about the only thing I look forward to in the R/C racing scene nowadays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.