Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Doc,
I agree and disagree, yes you are at a disadvantage by being in the back and not having your own clock. However, I have always looked at qualifying as a means of getting into the show. TQ is nice, but my goal at every race is just to get into the top 10 and then race for it. Maybe my approach is wrong , but I still dont think IFMAR is the answer.
ibckevin- What you said is not always the case, maybe most of the time but not always. And ako is right, the system works if the race director is paying attention and calling traffic. I have experienced bad race calling that cost me.
I am not new to this hobby, I was there in the heads up days and the IFMAR days and I prefer heads up. To me IFMAR is not real racing. I would rather see a fast lap qualifying system, it makes things more exciting.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

IFMAR helps out everyone from the top to the bottom. You are able to weed out the first turn pile up and just race your race. Its the same for everyone.

True, the announcer must call traffic and help ou all of the drivers by letting them know the running order.. I use the communication on the drivers stand to call out my own traffic and help out if someone needs to pass me, I let them know the next corner I will go wide. I hate when people dont help each other out and cause unfortunate crashes and become rolling road blocks because they dont pay attention to others.

You should always be running numbers on your car to help you and the other 9 dirvers figure out who is who. Numbers are mandatory at all TCS races and if people are not running them, tell the race director and the announcer. One more thing is that I never run a paint scheme that is close to other people. I like my car to stand out against the others...Especially since I race F201 where alot of cars look similar.

I would like to see the 23t motor used at local TCS races and at the Nationals. Its a great motor and much more fun to race with the extra power.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

lbckevin sells tube steak
Old 09-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

I just got home from racing a little while ago. Here in Detroit, we are running an F1 series with the 201's. This is the 3rd season that we have done it and it is stronger than ever. Today we had 13 cars just in F1. Why do I bring this up? Because we are using a fast lap system and it is working quite well. I wont lie, we are using IFMAR starts, but the goal is not laps/time, it is to lay down 1 flyer to set the grid. Some dont run the whole qualifier, they set the time and pull the car off. Todays race was probably the best one to date. Through alot of drivers stepping up their game we have very tight grids. We run 2 5 minute heads up mains and then combine the laps and time to determine the finishing order. ibckevin- I dont completely disagree with what you are saying, but alot of factors have to be in place for things to work, and that is not always the case.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbckevin
You should always be running numbers on your car to help you and the other 9 dirvers figure out who is who. Numbers are mandatory at all TCS races and if people are not running them, tell the race director and the announcer. One more thing is that I never run a paint scheme that is close to other people. I like my car to stand out against the others...Especially since I race F201 where alot of cars look similar.
TCS Ohio did not run numbers.

They ran an excellent program, except for that fact. They were only open for 3 months, probably one of the best races in the series.

Many guys who paint use 1 color schemes with no decals. The paint job of the night before usually.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
we are using IFMAR starts, but the goal is not laps/time, it is to lay down 1 flyer to set the grid. Some dont run the whole qualifier, they set the time and pull the car off. Todays race was probably the best one to date. Through alot of drivers stepping up their game we have very tight grids. We run 2 5 minute heads up mains and then combine the laps and time to determine the finishing order.
Sounds like a cool way to do it. I like the sense of "true" qualifying using best lap time and then having either 2 or 3 main races.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

A-Ko

Not sure what you meant in that post. Did the Cincinatti shop close? Nice place, but I was wondering how they were going to pay the rent on the fancy digs.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's too bad we can't have TCS regionals with triple a mains - that eliminates most of the banzai stuff. But wait, we did have one regional with that format, the 10th anniversary regional at Trackside. And boy that was fun with triple A's. Now that was a special two day event for the 10th anniversary, but hopefully we can continue the tradition for the upcoming year. In fact, I seem to recall Fred telling us that the 2006 Trackside TCS regional would again be 2 day affair and triple A's. And Fred also said we could have the rally class again (on the indoor dirt track). Perhaps we need to add a "classics" class sometime: 1 heat of TA-02's, 1 heat of GTP or F103's.

It of course helps to have the RC world's best announcer calling the passes and races at Trackside. It is so disappointing to go to a race where the announcing consists of periodic once a minute announcement of "the # 2 car is in first, followed by the 3 car"

February in Wisconsin is the place to be for TCS!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by minidriver
A-Ko

Not sure what you meant in that post. Did the Cincinatti shop close? Nice place, but I was wondering how they were going to pay the rent on the fancy digs.
Sorry I missed the confusion in that statement.

When they held the TCS race they were only open for 3 months at that time. Now they are probably approaching a year. Very top notch outfit. Owner was very nice, track/hobbyshop workers friendly and had an expert running their race program who was a veteran racer. They were talking about putting in an offroad dirt track too so maybe they will do TCS Rally too like Trackside.

For being their first Tamiya race, my only complaint was they did not have numbers. That is pretty minor. Maybe they need safer barriers too. If you can go it is definately one to add to your schedule.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

...and the ribs are great, too!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccardr
...and the ribs are great, too!

.... are you ribbing me.? ? ?

Your wife will have to talk to my wife about buying the TA05.....

Then again my B-Day is coming up... so I guess you could.... well... hint, hint, hint.....
Old 09-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

I just got home from racing a little while ago. Here in Detroit, we are running an F1 series with the 201's. This is the 3rd season that we have done it and it is stronger than ever. Today we had 13 cars just in F1. Why do I bring this up? Because we are using a fast lap system and it is working quite well. I wont lie, we are using IFMAR starts, but the goal is not laps/time, it is to lay down 1 flyer to set the grid. Some dont run the whole qualifier, they set the time and pull the car off. Todays race was probably the best one to date. Through alot of drivers stepping up their game we have very tight grids. We run 2 5 minute heads up mains and then combine the laps and time to determine the finishing order. ibckevin- I dont completely disagree with what you are saying, but alot of factors have to be in place for things to work, and that is not always the case.

Hmmm. I'm real interested in it but i'm kinda not. Tell me. Is this the old way the tamiya champoinsip sereis used to do this? How does this work? My biggest concern would be that the guy who never has the fastest lap always ends up winning because he has a good car and is a very consistant driver but now he can't ever win a race cause he never has the fastest lap. I this how it works? It would be really cool if it was combined and added up laps just like in the past of old TCS racing. Please respnd a soon as possible BP Shadow (Brad Palmer) I am dying to find out! Really!

-Lee
Old 09-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
F201 next Year??

Any Word on wether or not F201 will be a GO again for next Years TCS?..
Old 09-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Lee,
The fast lap is only used to set the grid. Yes the finishing order is determined by the combined laps/time from the two mains. Hope this clarifies things for you.
Brad
Old 09-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Lee,
The fast lap is only used to set the grid. Yes the finishing order is determined by the combined laps/time from the two mains. Hope this clarifies things for you.
Brad
I would absoluty love that! man I hope they would do that next year cause that would make me feel so much better!

Which would come to bring me to this. At the 2001 Tamiya north americna finals
I placed 2nd behind Canadian legend Derek Hung only lost to him by a point, but here's an intresting point. If they used the scoring that you Brad used in 2001 I actually would of won and gone to Japan! Look at the combined laps for more info and look at the red highlighted numbers.

Derek Hung 100 100 97 50/15:09.05
Lee Passehl 99 99 100 51/15:13.66
Alex Hoover 98 96 98 49/15:12.92

Pretty interesting eh? Too bad I didn't go to Japan that year. That would of been so awesome!

-Lee

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.