Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-10-2016, 10:55 AM
  #20791  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
KA2AEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tottenville, NYC
Posts: 2,346
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Fred for all info, but one question
What about the previous comment about GT3 being dropped for that T-01/02 Truck class???
Is that just a local thing or at all the TCS regional events???
Mike
KA2AEV is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 11:22 AM
  #20792  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,268
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Thanks Fred for all info, but one question
What about the previous comment about GT3 being dropped for that T-01/02 Truck class???
Is that just a local thing or at all the TCS regional events???
Mike
It's in the rules from the link. Regional races will differ on the motors for GT1 and GT2. Some tracks will use 13.5 for GT1 and 17.5 for GT2, and some tracks will use 17.5 for GT1 and 21.5 for GT2. Depends on size of track. At the bottom of the PDF lists what tracks are doing what.
f1larry is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 11:38 AM
  #20793  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
KA2AEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tottenville, NYC
Posts: 2,346
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by f1larry
It's in the rules from the link. Regional races will differ on the motors for GT1 and GT2. Some tracks will use 13.5 for GT1 and 17.5 for GT2, and some tracks will use 17.5 for GT1 and 21.5 for GT2. Depends on size of track. At the bottom of the PDF lists what tracks are doing what.
Okay Larry thanks but a previous commenter stated that the GT3 was changed to the Truck class and I see no mention of the Truck Class at all!!!
That's what my question was!
KA2AEV is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 12:31 PM
  #20794  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,268
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Okay Larry thanks but a previous commenter stated that the GT3 was changed to the Truck class and I see no mention of the Truck Class at all!!!
That's what my question was!
That's in the PDF as well.
Link
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln...CS%20rules.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-img_1304.png  
f1larry is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 05:48 PM
  #20795  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Nice set of Rules for 2016... GameOn!!
OSherman is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 07:23 PM
  #20796  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by f1larry
I noticed that in the link that Fred posted yesterday FWD was included, buy in the rules you posted FWD is not included. Has the FWD Class been eliminated?
MD is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 07:29 PM
  #20797  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

I went back and looked at the link Fred posted and when you click on the link for the PDF, as he instructed, there is no FWD Class. So, I guess that means no FWD Class. I thought it was a good class and you didn't need a specific 21.5, so I bought one.
MD is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 07:33 PM
  #20798  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,268
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MD
I went back and looked at the link Fred posted and when you click on the link for the PDF, as he instructed, there is no FWD Class. So, I guess that means no FWD Class. I thought it was a good class and you didn't need a specific 21.5, so I bought one.
He stated no FWD for the regionals but it will be at the finals.
f1larry is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:03 PM
  #20799  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (54)
 
CSeils's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 890
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FMW
TCS Schedule:



January 28: RC Car World, NJ
January 29: Hobby Town USA Fresno CA
February 18-19: Hobbytown USA/HobbyPlex NE
February 26: 180 Raceway MD
March 5: RC Kinetics NY
March 26: Tamiya America Raceway CA
April 22: 702 Raceway NV
April 16: Access Hobbies OH
May 21: RC Madness CT
May 21: TQ RC Raceway CA
July 23 Galaxy Hobby WA
August 6: Brownies Hobbies @ Jackson RC NJ
August 26-27: Tamiya America Raceway TCS Finals, CA
Too bad we couldn't get a few more regionals in the Midwest. Just saying.

St Louis MO, Chicago IL, Oshkosh WI, Fort Wayne IN just to list a few that could have been available.
CSeils is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:18 PM
  #20800  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by f1larry
He stated no FWD for the regionals but it will be at the finals.
I believe there was a FWD Class at regionals last year, and that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would you not have at the regionals and have it at the finals? I thought that class might grow. There are none close to our area any more anyway. I still think it should it should be available at the regionals. That's an example of why people get discouraged about the TCS. One year there's a class and next year there's not.
MD is offline  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 AM
  #20801  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
C5R01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The D!
Posts: 151
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CSeils
Too bad we couldn't get a few more regionals in the Midwest. Just saying.

St Louis MO, Chicago IL, Oshkosh WI, Fort Wayne IN just to list a few that could have been available.

2ND That . Guess it will be off road til April. Going to have a Tamiya sell-off coming soon.
C5R01 is offline  
Old 12-11-2016, 06:25 PM
  #20802  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Leester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wrong Planet
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CSeils
Too bad we couldn't get a few more regionals in the Midwest. Just saying.

St Louis MO, Chicago IL, Oshkosh WI, Fort Wayne IN just to list a few that could have been available.
Carl,

How many of these hobby shops support Tamiya in their businesses with other than a few parts or so on the shelf? How many of them actually made the effort to contact Tamiya to inquire as to what it takes to host a TCS event? Tamiya awards the regional events to the shops that help them move the most products. Just part of the business arrangement... "I wash your back... you wash mine".

The shops that don't are missing out on a rare opportunity to host a racing event that is free to enter and actually has a class for beginners. Heck it even has a concourse segment for each class for the guy who's racing skills might not be the best but he can put together a darn nice looking race car It also has awesome awards for the podium winners and door prizes for the rest. There are tons of guys who only participate in the TCS events every year when it comes to anything other than club racing. No Snowbirds, no IIC ect. There's hardly a track around that doesn't have a "mini" class for the guys who love to put a car out on the track inexpensively and are doing it purely for the fun and social part of the hobby. We used to call it our "bowling night" only with toy cars

Scotty Ernst (Trackside Hobbies/Milwaukee) saw the benefits the TCS brought to his track. In 2009 the TCS race at Trackside had over 200 entries! Just think about how many items were purchased over his counter that weekend, not to mention the lists of parts that people ordered from him in preparation for the TCS., all for a "free" racing event.

Lot's of guys (including myself) drank the Tamiya "koolaide" just to be a part of the TCS series especially when I was 10 or so. I knew I had a chance to win a "Top Rookie" award against other kids my age. It was a very big deal. It's a great way for a dad with a young one to get involved in the hobby inexpensively or a new comer who stops off at his local track and sees the mini racers laughing and joking with each other while on the drivers stand. TCS emphasizes a racing experience for the average guy on a budget looking for pant loads of fun.

So Carl when you lament here about how far you have to drive to get to a TCS race these days, you should be talking to your local hobby / race track about how the TCS helps develop his business from the grass roots level with a part of the business that caters to the youth and racers who have no ambitions to be professionals in the hobby. These are the guys who help pay the heat bill and rent every month And one of them might even end up being the next Paul Lemieux! After all it's where he first got his start.

Last edited by Leester; 12-11-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Leester is offline  
Old 12-12-2016, 05:59 AM
  #20803  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (54)
 
CSeils's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 890
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Leester
Carl,

How many of these hobby shops support Tamiya in their businesses with other than a few parts or so on the shelf? How many of them actually made the effort to contact Tamiya to inquire as to what it takes to host a TCS event? Tamiya awards the regional events to the shops that help them move the most products. Just part of the business arrangement... "I wash your back... you wash mine".

The shops that don't are missing out on a rare opportunity to host a racing event that is free to enter and actually has a class for beginners. Heck it even has a concourse segment for each class for the guy who's racing skills might not be the best but he can put together a darn nice looking race car It also has awesome awards for the podium winners and door prizes for the rest. There are tons of guys who only participate in the TCS events every year when it comes to anything other than club racing. No Snowbirds, no IIC ect. There's hardly a track around that doesn't have a "mini" class for the guys who love to put a car out on the track inexpensively and are doing it purely for the fun and social part of the hobby. We used to call it our "bowling night" only with toy cars

Scotty Ernst (Trackside Hobbies/Milwaukee) saw the benefits the TCS brought to his track. In 2009 the TCS race at Trackside had over 200 entries! Just think about how many items were purchased over his counter that weekend, not to mention the lists of parts that people ordered from him in preparation for the TCS., all for a "free" racing event.

Lot's of guys (including myself) drank the Tamiya "koolaide" just to be a part of the TCS series especially when I was 10 or so. I knew I had a chance to win a "Top Rookie" award against other kids my age. It was a very big deal. It's a great way for a dad with a young one to get involved in the hobby inexpensively or a new comer who stops off at his local track and sees the mini racers laughing and joking with each other while on the drivers stand. TCS emphasizes a racing experience for the average guy on a budget looking for pant loads of fun.

So Carl when you lament here about how far you have to drive to get to a TCS race these days, you should be talking to your local hobby / race track about how the TCS helps develop his business from the grass roots level with a part of the business that caters to the youth and racers who have no ambitions to be professionals in the hobby. These are the guys who help pay the heat bill and rent every month And one of them might even end up being the next Paul Lemieux! After all it's where he first got his start.
Lee,

I am not lamenting about how far i have to drive to an event. I don't think that is implied in the two sentences I posted. All I said is that it would be nice if there were more regionals in the midwest. Nine races are on either coast, with one in Nevada? Two out of the twelve races are in the midwest (is Ohio considered Midwest?) does not cover the entire country. Omaha has been around for most of the series and is a great facility.

The track that used to host in the midwest did support Tamiya. I know that the track owners do not get much from Tamiya. Due to other issues, it has been closed since August. All I am trying to allude to is that there are really nice venues in the midwest that could host a TCS event. There are new tracks in St. Louis and Chicago that have really impressive facilities. The other areas I mentioned, have been established for many years now and are also great venues. I didn't even go as far south as Nashville TN or north to Minnesota. For me, I think it might be the theory of - if you build it , they will come. -

Locally, It has been brought up by other TCS supporters, that the local tracks be asked to host an event. But, right now, it seems that not one in the four states I mentioned or any other tracks in the area were either considered or had thought of the chance to replace the venue in the midwest.

Now, I understand it could be a Tamiya or a consumer base issue, but as I stated before. It would be nice to have some more options in the Midwest.

I also understand that there is a cost for the tracks to invest in the Tamiya brand. But as you stated, the preorders alone could have lured any track to invest in TCS races.

I will still promote the Tamiya brand. Currently running a TB03 in USGT, two mini's (M05&M06), and even compete in 1/12th with a RM01 (I do get a couple of weird looks with the RM01, but I am still learning and getting better.) I have been supporting and encouraging TCS for the past 22 consecutive years. I am proud to be a part of the "Blue Koolaid" family.
CSeils is offline  
Old 12-12-2016, 09:14 AM
  #20804  
Tech Master
iTrader: (93)
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,420
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

As far as I understand, Tamiya only contacts the tracks that have previously run a TCS event to see if they plan on hosting again and scheduling.
Tracks not currently on the schedule will need to contact Tamiya America and 'apply' to host an event for the following year. TA has certain requirements of course. product/local support, race program, race facility, etc. TA doesn't go out looking for host tracks. Tracks owners need to pitch/offer their track to the series.
Markus is offline  
Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 AM
  #20805  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,268
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

There is alot involved in hosting a TCS race. It is very hard for a Track to give away their building for a weekend and not charge for a race. In the end the host track loses money hosting a race.
#1 to be considered to host a race there is a minimum amount of Tamiya products that have to be ordered for the shop (this is a large sum of money to dish out).
For new tracks this is hard to do and then lose revenue by not charging anything for racing on the day of the race. If you have 60 people show up and 40 of them run multiple classes the Track loses $1800 right there. Tracks that have been hosting for awhile still lose money but not as significant as they have already ate the initial upfront costs.

And Tamiya racers need to be honest as well most do not support the track's shop because they already have stock piles of Tamiya parts they ordered on line. If the track was able to make money on the parts it would not be so bad but half the time they can't even get the necessary parts for a race weekend in time for the race because Tamiya is out of stock.

The whole thing is a double edge sword.

The TCS is a great way to get new blood into the hobby especially when you think how cheap some can start racing with a TT02 that comes with a motor and ESC (that also works with brushless motors).

I think Tamiya should develop a portable Parts shop for each host site. Put together an inventory of the most common parts that are needed for a race weekend. Ship it to the shop on consignment what ever the shop doesn't sell that weekend or adds to their inventory they ship it back to Tamiya to restock for the next event and bill the shop for the parts sold or kept for inventory. That would help the shops to lower their outlay for a TCS weekend and maybe sell a little bit more Tamiya parts and kits and make more money for them and Tamiya.

Sitting back with some popcorn and waiting.
f1larry is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.