Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree, I can only keep track of my position for the first minute or so and then I am lost. As far as forgetting how to run, you would still run the packs out in practice, even though its not usually controlled at the regional level, besides going to a fixed lap system time becomes irrelevent. It would take some getting used to but I really believe that overall it would work better in the end.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Leester-111
Not really in Mini. It's pretty much from what I heard floor it and gore it, there may be some times where you have to lift but it's pretty much all out. Mabuchi's really don't have all that power in them so there's really no need to brake except lift a little.

-Lee

ok i need to work on setup or my driving style, coz if i dont brake i tend to run wide... i have good standard devn though, less than 1.0, but times are a bit slow....
Old 09-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by noobie
ok i need to work on setup or my driving style, coz if i dont brake i tend to run wide... i have good standard devn though, less than 1.0, but times are a bit slow....
Here's some advice for driving. When you come into a low speed corner or a 180 just let of the throddle a tad bit or halfway. Whatever suits you best just work on it and like "packafterpack..." says just keep running pack after pack after pack after pack afeter pack after pack after pack after pack after pack after pack after pack after pack after pack after pack after pack after pack after pack and so on until you get a feel for how your dirving style works. then for setup ask some people to help you figure out a setup that works such as aggressive, neutral and so on. Til again you find a setup that works with you the best.
Good Luck and may the force be with you.

-Lee
Old 09-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Keep qualifying standard...we are all used to it by now.

Keep the products Tamiya...EXCEPT

KEEP F201 and allow Mods or Tamiya make a Graphite chassis!

Mini - Great class
GT1-fun to watch but $$$
GT2-great
GT3-Great
Spec- If you belong in another class quit this class and move up! This should be strictly newbies (imo).
F201-small but potentially awesome again class...Id run mine if I wasn't buying replacement chassis due to heat warping all the time. Graphite = solved!

grasshopper class!
Old 09-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just my .02.

I spend a lot more on my GT3 car than my GT1 car. Mostly on batteries since voltage is king in GT3. And if you're serious about competition in any of the classes, you're going to be shooting tires at the car rather frequently.

Spec- The race directors need to really step up to the plate here. If someone is killing the rest of the field they need to be moved into GT3. Also, after 1 season, you cannot run Spec anymore. NASCAR doesn't allow someone to run for Rookie of the year more than once because you haven't progressed as fast as others, and I've seen some Dan Garbers out there (aka Cherry Pickers...sorry Dan, coulnd't Resist ) who run Spec 2, 3, 4 years and whoop up on the rest of the field. Its not right and its not fair for the true beginners and rookies.

Qualifying- I'd like to see a return to Heads-Up qualifying. The mains have gotten progressively worse at the regional level because people don't know how to race heads up anymore. IFMAR qualifying has hurt people as far as teaching them how to set someone up for a pass and do so cleanly. I've seen too many people get banzaied in a main and get screwed up because the person chasing just kept their finger in it, hoping for the best. At the Cinci TCS race, the top 5 guys all had a gentilman's agreement on the start to give each other plenty of space and race it out after the first lap. Unfortunately we didn't talk to the 6th place guy who hammered Dave Weir, sent him into me, and I went sailing into Eli, who went crashing into someone else. People don't know how to race mains like they used to.

GT1- I'd like to see the 23T motor become the Spec motor instead of 19 Turn. The 23 Turns are great motors. I'd also like to see F1 switch to this motor for regionals IF F201 is kept.

Lemans: Tamiya's re-released the older Lemans cars. Lets race these bad boys! Or bring back the F103 class
Old 09-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

IFMAR start seems to be better for qualifying...limits the first turn shenanigans...gives you a better shot at, well qualifying well

Mark, set, go for the mains...you bet! Gentlemens agreement in the main? I dunno bout that one. I always try to race clean, but I doubt I'd wait a lap to space it out before I raced ya!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

IFMAR starts may work for the worlds where you have the worlds best drivers racing together. But the reason you have first corner shenanigans is because there is not enough experience racing heads up. I would rather race heads up all the time because I can somewhat keep track of where I am at on the track . It is alot harder to do that with the IFMAR format, it is also very boring for the spectators to watch. You cant attract people to the hobby if you cant keep them interested in watching
Old 09-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
IFMAR starts may work for the worlds where you have the worlds best drivers racing together. But the reason you have first corner shenanigans is because there is not enough experience racing heads up. I would rather race heads up all the time because I can somewhat keep track of where I am at on the track . It is alot harder to do that with the IFMAR format, it is also very boring for the spectators to watch. You cant attract people to the hobby if you cant keep them interested in watching

ifmar if there not calling your name you know that you are not in the top three...most of the spectators are racers of some sort or another...if you have slow drivers in your heat ifmar will weed them out in the end...WORD
Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

MICROSOFT WORD
Old 09-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

its not just about the top 3 its about knowing where you're at in relation to all the other cars on the track. Is the car behind truly behind or is it coming up to lap? This is the stuff that IFMAR doesn't do well IMO
Old 09-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

its not just about the top 3 its about knowing where you're at in relation to all the other cars on the track. Is the car behind truly behind or is it coming up to lap? This is the stuff that IFMAR doesn't do well IMO
just like i said if you listen you will know if the guy in front or behind you is leading or behind you ...its the job of the race directer to call traffic IFMAR will give everybody a fare chance to make the main..heads up racing is all down to luck most of the time it works out for the better drivers that know you never win at the start, you got five minutes to make your way to the front....enjoy the lead will it lasts... .02 $
Old 09-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

BP,

Are you serious.....If someone is coming up on you ( in ifmar qualifying) you are already behind them. You need to pull to the outside line and give way and continue behind them. This is the basis for IFMAR starts, everyone is on their own clock, dont race them , just try to get your fastest time.

IFMAR weeds out the slow drivers. Resorting helps even more after each round. If you ever race a big race, then that is all they use.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Spec class would be hard to say you can only race it in a season. Some guys only race TCS once a year and this would kill the class pretty quick. Don't forget Nascar runs 36 races in a year and Tamiya only runs 10 races in a year. I would rather see someone be able to come back and race Spec if they so desire. Maybe a better alternative would be to NOT allow guys with 2 or more TCS wins run in the Spec class. That would weed out many guys including cherry pickers. The Track and Tamiya would have the final say too if they knew of a heavy hitter in Spec.

IFMAR format is not only boring for the spectator but the driver as well. A few races ago my qualifying was pretty equally matched on a larger track with 6 other guys. I was bored and was lucky to catch 1 or 2 cars. I would 2ND what BPShadow said. To get the initial sort they should go by years in the series then go from there with further resort by laps & time. Not everybody seems to have a handle on their ability and I would want to run heads up with equal abilities.

It would be nice to mandate the 23t motor but then again it means there would be no way to really race the motor locally. Any work done on a 23t would be at a regional race or practice. Then if you go with the 23t motor then why have 27t motors. Really they are pretty close. We would be better off to make Japan switch to a 19t and 27t motor format....

Another can of worms to think about is ever notice how guys from Canada and Japan can goto their Nationals and Worlds as many times as they want. Where the US crew has a 1-way door once you win you are out of the series. Usually what goes with those lucky persons is the secrets from Japan. Not saying the past chumps latch onto their secrets but usually there is no incentive to keep them in TCS racing and passing on their brain trust.

I guess what is funny the amount of times I wanted to win the Nats. Usually there is a sigh of relief when I don't because it means I can do it again for another year.

For what its worth.....
Old 09-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been to quite a few races where IFMAR does not work well.

The announcer is not following the race. If he is usually cars don't have numbers. Then what do you do with 3 cars painted the same color. I have had times where I was confused where I was in relation to the other cars. Like one red car I expected to move over fought me for position, oh thats right there were 3 red cars in the race. . .
Old 09-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Tech Elite

The only problem with heads up qualifying when there are only two qualifiers is that if your number is mid-pack you get screwed because you have to start in the middle both times. If your number is first or last at least you get a clear track in front of you for the first four or five laps.

Here's an example: in a recent TCS race, the day started late and there were many entries so they decided NOT to run IFMAR qualifying. I got stuck with a mid-pack number. My lap times were as fast or faster than the lead guy, but, since he had a clear track his first lap was four seconds faster than mine. FOUR SECONDS! Try to make that up while being gentlemanly. Same thing happened in Q2 when the #9 guy got to go first and I started #5 again. Both of them wound up in the #1 and #2 spots and I had to- you got it- fight through the field again in the Main. With IFMAR, I'd have easily been in the top three...or TQ.

So if you're going to do heads up qualifying (and I agree it makes for better Mains), you've got to resort each round...which is a pain.

Just my $.02. Worth what you paid for it. Now I'm goin' racing!
Later
Doc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.