Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree824Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW

Spec Reedy motor for Mini:
During the winter I shared there may be some sort of RPM rule for the M-chassis class for the regional race. After much thought, discussion with Reedy, and professional experience, I have decided this is not the best thing to do at this time. The purpose of the spec motor is to start everyone on the same page. Its other purpose is to make it easier for us to tech. RPM tests alone do not indicate the strengths and weaknesses of a motor. There are KV ratings, efficiency ratings etc. Your battery source and the efficiency of your drivetrain make the biggest difference! Your driving is another key factor, but you already know that.

The one make and model spec motor is something new we are trying for 2016. Real world data and observation needs to be collected in order to refine the rules in the future. Reedy will be helping us with this effort. Therefore, F-1 and Mini may time the motors up to the maximum 50 degree marking on the motor. We want everyone to race it out under this formula and we will collect data based on the real world performance we see on the track. Be prepared to let us know what make and model battery and ESC you’re using so we can collect further data.

Have a great day.
In my opinion, this is probably the best choice, as there are many more variables, as stated, in play.

ESC, Battery, Driver and Skill all play a role in this equation.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

good call indeed!!

there will still be a bit of an RPM gap, depending on how you gear, clean, and ESC settings.. But not as much gap as seen in short-stack vs regular-stack, wire profile, stator construction and all that other nonsense from a hardware standpoint that made the gap tremendous..

i personally like this decision.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Pretty excited to participate in my first TCS race, I used to run a FF01 back in the day but haven't touched on road since (or really anything other than Vonats last year). Saw I could get a TT02 from tower for $90 shipped and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to jump back in with the race coming up in May. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a transponder and have some fun getting whooped on by some 12 year olds .
Old 04-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by k_bojar
i did, but sadly got a very cryptic and defensive PM back about a vague setup - almost to the point like I was trying to steal his so that I could beat him..

oh well - guess I'll still keep looking since some people don't appear to like sharing (or forgetting, sharing makes everyone faster and racing better/closer)

Wow, sorry for being so vague. Actually I as giving guidance that then requires a little more testing at your local track. I am fairly new to mini, so if you took my exact setup and it didn't work for you, I would run the risk of getting blasted.

Btw, my set up is actually very different than all other minis. The guidance that I provided might actually give you the pieces of the tuning puzzle that I would have appreciated a couple years back with my m06.

No hard feelings.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by notarex
Pretty excited to participate in my first TCS race, I used to run a FF01 back in the day but haven't touched on road since (or really anything other than Vonats last year). Saw I could get a TT02 from tower for $90 shipped and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to jump back in with the race coming up in May. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a transponder and have some fun getting whooped on by some 12 year olds .
Its not the 12 year olds you should be worring about!
You should be worried about the older ones!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So I won't be the only 40 year old in Novice spec? Doesn't matter anyway, just want to get out there and have some not so serious fun
Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EB Racer
Wow, sorry for being so vague. Actually I as giving guidance that then requires a little more testing at your local track. I am fairly new to mini, so if you took my exact setup and it didn't work for you, I would run the risk of getting blasted.

Btw, my set up is actually very different than all other minis. The guidance that I provided might actually give you the pieces of the tuning puzzle that I would have appreciated a couple years back with my m06.

No hard feelings.
i understand setups don't always pan out from one track to another - i asked before i was looking for a starting point, not some (again) vague/cryptic explanations and a line like "i now know a good setup" but oh so cryptic

trust me, if the setup was too radical, I wouldn't even try - I'm interested in seeing WHAT people are running, and trying to see what i know works best at my track

but you're right... no hard feelings, just disappointed
Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
i did, but sadly got a very cryptic and defensive PM back about a vague setup - almost to the point like I was trying to steal his so that I could beat him..

oh well - guess I'll still keep looking since some people don't appear to like sharing (or forgetting, sharing makes everyone faster and racing better/closer)

If I don't podium in the class, the next best thing is seeing a car I provided setup help for win. Heck, I even loaned my 2nd car to a racer as it was faster for him on the track. Seems, I may be my own worst enemy on the track .
Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

K_bojar
Start here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ANzz-xIgX4c
Put on the tcs tires
Spring up or down, oil up or oil down to find the grip you need.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Another fun day at Tamiya TCS today @ Aliso Viejo.
Always thank you Fred Mendel and all the Tamiya crews.
Thanks to Max for the track preparation.
Great race today.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CW22
Another fun day at Tamiya TCS today @ Aliso Viejo.
Always thank you Fred Mendel and all the Tamiya crews.
Thanks to Max for the track preparation.
Great race today.
I have to agree 100%

What a great day of racing, again!

Thank you, thank you!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Another fun Tamiya TCS indeed.. Was cool to see Sean Cochren out there Saturday supporting and assisting the participants with their REEEDY needs and questions.

Good to see new faces. Good to see old faces.

Good competition in all the classes..
Old 04-04-2016, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OSherman
good call indeed!!

there will still be a bit of an RPM gap, depending on how you gear, clean, and ESC settings.. But not as much gap as seen in short-stack vs regular-stack, wire profile, stator construction and all that other nonsense from a hardware standpoint that made the gap tremendous..

i personally like this decision.
having actually tried the REEDY one-make idea... i still stand behind the idea. still think think its good for the series in the longrun.. The power provided by the REEDY Mach3 felt very nice and had plenty on tap. I tried mine both at the timing mark per the rule and past the mark till it hit the mechanical hardstop. no heat issues or fade with my normal one-fan setup...

however... We all know that there 'could' be a discrepency in the timing that is 'marked on the can' vs the actual timing when measured via an electrical motorchecker device. this is not at all intended to be a dig at the REEDY product, this is just the way it is, I find the same with my favorite R1-Wurks motors.. 'slightly past the last 50degree mark' actually put me on par with others at the 50degrees.. and i would suspect the opposite could be true with others.

i guess what im saying its that (i think) there should be a little 'wiggle room' and not limited to the 50degree mark, seeing as that the motor out the box its designed so that you can push the timing past the marked 50degree without physical modification. I think we should look at the timing marks as a reference guide and not a limitation. in the end we are all using the same motor and blinky speedos.

$0.02
Old 04-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Completely agree..Some of the fast motors I noticed stopped right on the 50 mark. Motors that were a little off were almost dead on with the fast motors with the physical timing set to max timing which was a couple degrees past the 50.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markus
K_bojar
Start here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ANzz-xIgX4c
Put on the tcs tires
Spring up or down, oil up or oil down to find the grip you need.
thanks

definitely not new to this stuff, but been a FWD mini guy my whole life - and wanted to try the RWD and not loot stupid

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.