Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Bring back the B2's !!!!!!!!!

To everyone complaining about tires:
I have the perfect solution. Bring back the B2's.
Traction sucks, but it'll be the same for everyone.
They last forever. At 2002 nats, my old sets worked better than new sets. I used ONE set of tires for all qualifying and all the mains - and that's with a full blown mod motor. Heck, I even pulled the fastest lap on A3 when the tires got older.
Secret insert?? Locals advantage? It doesn't matter, that tire sucked with all inserts.
Oh, did I mention those tires sucked?
No need to buy a ton of tires and still remain within the Tamiya tire lineup.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
If the Past Champs get a lil lee-way (sp) for better performance/traction, why shouldn't the rest of us.
Because we need to look good and drive consistent (more like make the least amount of mistake) in front of the crowd. And especially in front of the TCS newbies ! Otherwise, we WILL drive like crap, flip our cars often(TAOB! Get it? ), bang on to each other 10x more and eventually people will start mumbling... "are you sure those guys won the nats before? They don't seem THAT good... hmmm..." Embarrassing I know...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
BUT, not everyone can afford 6+ sets of tires to be competative.

2+ runs/sets for practice friday, 6+ runs/sets for qualifiers on saturday, 2 sets for sunday... and that is minimum...

$0.02
Dude, you issue 2-3 sets of B3's (not's B's). That gets you through qualifying and the mains! 7 runs max if you do a triple a-main...2 runs on each set, and one set will have 3 runs on it. B3's are excellent tires that wear well too. You don't need a new set every run if the competition isn't doing that!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

Here's a wacky idea. First have a spec tire. Tires get sauced right before your run, right? Have a tire impound/shuffle. Cars come off the track, go into tech and the techs pull the tires off and throw them in a box... along with all the others. Then when you come up to tech before your run you are handed 4 random tires out of the box, bolt 'em up, sauce them, and run. It shouldn't add much time to the tech process and will equalize the tire issue 100%.

I dunno, just trying to think outside... er... inside the box
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fraz
Here's a wacky idea. First have a spec tire. Tires get sauced right before your run, right? Have a tire impound/shuffle. Cars come off the track, go into tech and the techs pull the tires off and throw them in a box... along with all the others. Then when you come up to tech before your run you are handed 4 random tires out of the box, bolt 'em up, sauce them, and run. It shouldn't add much time to the tech process and will equalize the tire issue 100%.

I dunno, just trying to think outside... er... inside the box
I just hope you don't get mine because they'll be cracked and wobbly
Old 09-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeffreylin
I just hope you don't get mine because they'll be cracked and wobbly
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would be happy with 3 sets of Tech B3s for an event weekend. Really you could make it any Tamiya tire to be teched for the event weekend.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Having experienced 1:1 scale racing for a number of years, I can't help but scratch my head about all these calls for Spec this and Spec that. I used to race a $15,000 Mazda against a $100,000 Alfa and beat him.

I think people are losing sight that racing is a competitive sport. That means people will look for every advantage they can. You want a spec series to leave it up to the "driving talent" ? Fine, here's what you get. Everbody runs the same car (with the exact same parts) same tires, same inserts, the same battery pack, the same body, same gear ratio, etc. Want to take that Mabuchi or 23T back to the pits to do a little "dyno work". Sorry, comes out of the car before you leave tech. Your race is next, OK, here's your motor, you can put it back in now (in 1:1 it's called sealed motors). You think I'm joking, what do you think Formula Mazda or Formula Barber series are. When all is said and done, someone will still complain that someone else had a better motor, better battery pack, etc.

If that's what you want, fine. Go find a series like that. Was there less people this year at TCS Nats ? Yes. Were a number of people deciding not to run TCS to run the Vegas race ? Sounds like it from the posts I read. Should a series that is paid for and promoted by Tamiya start allowing more outside manufactures products in ? Why should they ? Will one person run a fresh set of tires every run vs someone who runs 2 sets all weekend ? Sure. But what's wrong with that ? I like racing R/C for the atomsphere, friendships I've made, and the competition. I've got more trick parts and gadgets than some guys, and less than others. When people ask me how much it costs to race R/C, I ask them how much do you want to spend and how competitive do you want to be. An old racing phrase (and I know you have head this one Fred F). Speed is just a matter of money, how much do you want to spend ?

Now it's time to again thank Fred and staff, and all the event organizers at all the tracks across the U.S. for putting on this series each year. I can't wait until '06.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Default New goodies from the 2005 Tokyo Show

On a happier note:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/hobbyshow/index.htm
Old 09-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Kevin CBR

Back in my day it was :
You just cant beat cubic dollars, which had changed from, you just cant beat cubic inches..

Fred M. does put on a great show, I wish that some other track organizers would take a lesson from him.
Thanks to Fred Medel

Fred Forg
Old 09-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Kevin CBR

Back in my day it was :
You just cant beat cubic dollars, which had changed from, you just cant beat cubic inches..

Fred M. does put on a great show, I wish that some other track organizers would take a lesson from him.
Thanks to Fred Medel

Fred Forg
Originally Posted by gtypecanare
Fred..i like it when you and George post. its much shorter!

interesting.. A4 body coming out? Supra too!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Reissue of the Audi A4 and JGTC Esso Supra........ This changes everything !

415MS Refine 2. Could this be the 415MSX in kit version ?

Fred F - Cubic dollars, thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot that one.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yay!! Everyones happy again
Old 09-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Tamiya put on a good show so quit complaining and remember there is only one way to win that is pack after pack after pack after pack and if you don't get it you will not win remember pack after pack after pack
Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minicooper
Yay!! Everyones happy again
Well.....

according to the TCS Atomic clock next event is 6 months away... not much to do, not much to do....

the new 415 does look like a temporary fix though......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.