Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

The Reedy 25.5 is in stock at Tower Hobbies.

Its $89.99 and if you are a club member its $15 off for a total of $74.99 with free shipping and no tax. Good deal.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Althou I havent been running F! . I do love the class ,, and reedy motors , I curently run13.5s in my 12th scale and sedan , which show some very good laps times , as far as 25.5 im sure I can find the sweet spot !!!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I think it's fine for you to express your opinion and support for Fred's decisions. But, you don't have to make a comment about someone's equipment. That has no place in the discussion.

RC racing can be an expensive hobby. As I've said in the past, for a high percentage of the TCS racers it's a one race series. With the motor rule changes people are not going to want to buy new motors for one race when they already have 21.5's and 25.5's.

It's interesting to look back at all the comments about the silver cans and the motor voodoo. Now, you have a requirement with numbers etched on the output shaft of brushless motors. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
So, it's okay to blast and bitch at Fred for giving the racers what they ask for, more "spec" but saying a person who says they will stop racing TCS because they cannot afford a motor that they can use at TCS and local races for the next two years can continue to use their old equipment has no place ? Like people who whined about Mini's switching to brushless because it would be so expensive yet you see guys running mini with $ 400.00 + dollar radios ? (not all but more than a few). I assume it is also okay for your Midwest brethren to call us on the West Coast elitist ?

And why do we now have a motor with a number etched on the rotor ? Because what area of the country has the largest percentage of posts on this thread saying we need more "spec" in TCS ? Aren't you getting what you have been asking for ?

In conclusion, it is okay for the first two posts right after Fred posts the motor rules to throw out the "guess I am not going to race TCS this year because I have to buy a new motor" instead of "Hey Fred, awesome news Tamiya is going to foot the cost to bring back the TCS series T-shirts again !". If someone does not want to spend the money for whatever it is (chassis, motor, bodies, tires, esc's, etc.) to race TCS, that is okay. Just leave the "I am not going to race TCS now because you made a change" out.

Panda

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 01-04-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mtveten
M3 25.5

How did we end up changing to a motor that
  1. does not meet the ROAR 25.5 spec guidelines
  2. is the slowest of all currently available, ~40% less power than we ran the last 2 years or about 15% slower than a silvercan
  3. Is not the novak motor specified in the only currently run 25.5 spec class
  4. Is slower than that used in the mini class defined by the series as being for less experienced racers
  5. Cost as much if not more than any of the other spec motor options
  6. has a reputation for poor reliability and quality control.
  7. will only be usable for 1 race
  8. turns the class into a battery war, aka wallet race.
  9. requires EVERYONE to by new more expensive battery and an illegal motor.

This has to be the absolute worst possible choice. It seems to me that if a slowdown was required which i personally do not believe, we should have gone to a ROAR approved list once available, used the 25.5 novak designated for vta, or a cheap throw away motor such as the 16t the mini drives ran last year.

@Fred hows that new full scale reedy powered car drive?
Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but looking at your previous post about a two lap difference between fastest and slowest 25.5 motors has me thinking there is more an issue of gearing, chassis set-up or driving skill in your equation than the motors. People down here in So Cal are running Schuur Speed, Trinity, Reedy, R1 and Novak 25.5 motors in our F1 races. The fast laps are a couple of tenth's difference now, not a coupe of seconds. Guys who were getting lapped in 21.5 are running in the top 5 now.

Regardless of what motor you use, any blinky class racing (that includes 17.5 and 13.5 sedan) is a battery war. Has been like that since blinky came out. Charging your F1 battery at 5 - 8 amps instead of 40 amps ? You are already a couple of tenths a lap behind. If you don't like the rule change, that is your decision. But please use real numbers instead of pulling from the air. Show me from a reliable motor guy the dyno numbers showing the Reedy is 40% slower and then I will believe you. Requires EVERYONE to buy newer more expensive batteies ? If you are going to buy a new battery to gain a speed advantage, you are going to buy that battery anyway to be faster at your club race. If people want to keep flaming on about the motor change, ye should be prepared to take what thou giveth. Simple as that.

So Fred - thank you for giving the racers what they keep asking for, more "spec" rules. Thank you for choosing a motor that is easily teched at any TCS Regional very simply so more people can find other excuses why someone is still faster than them. And finally, I am looking forward to proudly rocking a new TCS 2016 series shirt later this year !
Panda
Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but looking at your previous post about a two lap difference between fastest and slowest 25.5 motors has me thinking there is more an issue of gearing, chassis set-up or driving skill in your equation than the motors. People down here in So Cal are running Schuur Speed, Trinity, Reedy, R1 and Novak 25.5 motors in our F1 races. The fast laps are a couple of tenth's difference now, not a coupe of seconds. Guys who were getting lapped in 21.5 are running in the top 5 now.

Regardless of what motor you use, any blinky class racing (that includes 17.5 and 13.5 sedan) is a battery war. Has been like that since blinky came out. Charging your F1 battery at 5 - 8 amps instead of 40 amps ? You are already a couple of tenths a lap behind. If you don't like the rule change, that is your decision. But please use real numbers instead of pulling from the air. Show me from a reliable motor guy the dyno numbers showing the Reedy is 40% slower and then I will believe you. Requires EVERYONE to buy newer more expensive batteies ? If you are going to buy a new battery to gain a speed advantage, you are going to buy that battery anyway to be faster at your club race. If people want to keep flaming on about the motor change, ye should be prepared to take what thou giveth. Simple as that.

So Fred - thank you for giving the racers what they keep asking for, more "spec" rules. Thank you for choosing a motor that is easily teched at any TCS Regional very simply so more people can find other excuses why someone is still faster than them. And finally, I am looking forward to proudly rocking a new TCS 2016 series shirt later this year !
Panda
I'm a proponent of 25.5 in F1, and I am glad that Fred made the call. Yes I am a bit disappointed that it's going to a spec motor as I have been selling Schuurspeeds and Motiv motors to people here in the Midwest. Some of the issue here has to do with ROAR and their approval process. The rules have been available since October, but there is still no definitive list of approved 25.5's . I respect that there are multiple reasons that Fred chose what he did, I just hope that he didn't alienate the early adopters who have already invested in 25.5 motors. Fred did ask for my feedback which I was happy to give him. During the course of that dialog I asked him how the Reedy was in testing, to which he replied "faster than expected"
Old 01-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I'm a proponent of 25.5 in F1, and I am glad that Fred made the call. Yes I am a bit disappointed that it's going to a spec motor as I have been selling Schuurspeeds and Motiv motors to people here in the Midwest. Some of the issue here has to do with ROAR and their approval process. The rules have been available since October, but there is still no definitive list of approved 25.5's . I respect that there are multiple reasons that Fred chose what he did, I just hope that he didn't alienate the early adopters who have already invested in 25.5 motors. Fred did ask for my feedback which I was happy to give him. During the course of that dialog I asked him how the Reedy was in testing, to which he replied "faster than expected"
It was made very clear that the motor rule for F1 was undecided and that an answer would be coming soon, IN BOLD FACE, RED TEXT, on TamiyaUSA.com so for the people that couldn't wait to get a 25.5 for their F1, that's on them. If you wanna run a different motor for club races, that's fine, but don't hate on Tamiya's decision to go with the Reedy for their TCS races. I waited until last night to order my motor, because the decision was posted yesterday, and I'm fine with that, cuz I got mine for $75 shipped. My local track owner personally told me to jump on that, cuz it was a great deal, and that he wouldn't be able to touch that price directly from Reedy, even with a TCS race at his track this year. I'm looking forward to getting this motor, and running F1 in TCS.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

. . . it is okay for the first two posts right after Fred posts the motor rules to throw out the "guess I am not going to race TCS this year because I have to buy a new motor" . . .
I understand picking a spec motor.
I didn't say that I wouldn't race TCS. I said that because of my own personal situation (getting laid off), I will not be buying any new motors before the race next month.
I'll run what I already have, and have fun in GT3 and GT2.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So, it's okay to blast and bitch at Fred for giving the racers what they ask for, more "spec" but saying a person who says they will stop racing TCS because they cannot afford a motor that they can use at TCS and local races for the next two years can continue to use their old equipment has no place ? Like people who whined about Mini's switching to brushless because it would be so expensive yet you see guys running mini with $ 400.00 + dollar radios ? (not all but more than a few). I assume it is also okay for your Midwest brethren to call us on the West Coast elitist ?

And why do we now have a motor with a number etched on the rotor ? Because what area of the country has the largest percentage of posts on this thread saying we need more "spec" in TCS ? Aren't you getting what you have been asking for ?

In conclusion, it is okay for the first two posts right after Fred posts the motor rules to throw out the "guess I am not going to race TCS this year because I have to buy a new motor" instead of "Hey Fred, awesome news Tamiya is going to foot the cost to bring back the TCS series T-shirts again !". If someone does not want to spend the money for whatever it is (chassis, motor, bodies, tires, esc's, etc.) to race TCS, that is okay. Just leave the "I am not going to race TCS now because you made a change" out.

Panda
Just curious, but how many of the guys on here complaining about having to buy another motor would rather pay a $75 entry fee, but still be able to run the motor they already have in their F1?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Happy New Year?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Happy New Year!

Glad to see a Spec 25.5 motor! Thank you Fred!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wrigley Field, nice choice of venue...
Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

YO!!! BEER!!!

Got any Popcorn too???
Old 01-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djensen623
It was made very clear that the motor rule for F1 was undecided and that an answer would be coming soon, IN BOLD FACE, RED TEXT, on TamiyaUSA.com so for the people that couldn't wait to get a 25.5 for their F1, that's on them. If you wanna run a different motor for club races, that's fine, but don't hate on Tamiya's decision to go with the Reedy for their TCS races. I waited until last night to order my motor, because the decision was posted yesterday, and I'm fine with that, cuz I got mine for $75 shipped. My local track owner personally told me to jump on that, cuz it was a great deal, and that he wouldn't be able to touch that price directly from Reedy, even with a TCS race at his track this year. I'm looking forward to getting this motor, and running F1 in TCS.
First of all,I'm not hating on anyone, not sure how you took anything in my post as hating.
Second of all, the switch to 25.5 for F1 has been going on since July, the Summer Slam at the Gate was the first race that used it as the spec, so no one "ran out" and bought motors on a whim. What we thought we were waiting on was a decision of whether the class would stay 21.5 or go to 25.5, not weather a particular brand or model was going to be chosen as the absolute. All I said was that I am a bit disappointed that every manufacturer that committed to offering a 25.5 for sale has been essentially locked out of a pretty good sized market. I am not condemning Fred for his decision, nor am I saying I will not run the class or the series.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by madjack
Proceeds to be used to buy your 25.5 motor so you can come race F1 with us again or going into that new fancy sedan you decided to run after 20 odd years of mini and F1 racing ? Hope to see you at the Jan. Tuning Haus race in two weeks.

Panda

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.