Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EB Racer
I agree with Steve. I have an F1 that I'd like to prepare for racing, but these guys like Panda and Cuda are way too fast, I mean, waaaaay toooo fast for me to jump in. I think an F1 expert and an F1 novice would be great. Maybe that means that one of the classes would need to be an alternative chassis such as the F104W.

Add my 2 cents and now we are getting close to a nickel.
Don't be discouraged, I'm starting out too and lap times are way down on Panda/ Cuda/ Bill's. It's okay to be in B or C main in the beginning. Just work from there and clime up and before you know it you will become the fast guy.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Question, in F1... how much Lipo Capacity is used during a 8 minute race? either 25.5 and/or 21.5

Trying to decide on battery pack.

Last edited by Chris Furman; 01-01-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Typical shorty packs are run in 15 minute mains outside TCS (Think UF1)

I usually put back less than 1300 mah for a 6 minute race.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Typical shorty packs are run in 15 minute mains outside TCS (Think UF1)

I usually put back less than 1300 mah for a 6 minute race.
Thanks.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EB Racer
I agree with Steve. I have an F1 that I'd like to prepare for racing, but these guys like Panda and Cuda are way too fast, I mean, waaaaay toooo fast for me to jump in. I think an F1 expert and an F1 novice would be great. Maybe that means that one of the classes would need to be an alternative chassis such as the F104W.

Add my 2 cents and now we are getting close to a nickel.
To be honest, most TCS races do not have enough participants to split into an F1 Novice / Sportsman and an F1 Expert class. For the Tuning Haus Series that we run at TQ, all F1 racers qualifying (in small groups, set-up based on projected driving skill) and your qualifying time then grids you for your three races. Like speed drivers will race in the same group together. However, we do have a Sportsman and an Expert class but that is just for the point series and end of season awards to encourage Sportsman racers who might stay away thinking they have no chance to finish in an awards position at the end of the season against the Expert F1 drivers. Come check out our races. Plus, good practice for the TCS race that will be at TQ Racing in May.

Panda
Old 01-04-2016, 02:21 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Happy New Year TCS racers,

I wanted to post some New Year information and reminders.

Reminders:
The TCS schedule may be viewed here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/schedule.php#.Voru7PkrK70

New stuff:
We are bringing back the Tamiya FREE TCS event T-shirt. In order to receive the t-shirt you must register for the event on our online registration page. Eligibility for a Free TCS event T-Shirt will close 10 days before the race date.

We have finalized the F-1 motor rules. Visit the link here for details: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/tcs.php?article-id=528

We have decided to slow down the class a little. The NEW “short stack” 21.5 motors on the market have made the F1 class too fast for most people in my view. It has also made the class inaccessible to potential new customers. Any racing series needs new people for it to thrive. It’s our intention for this change to encourage hobbyists to try the Tamiya F1 class and for the class to grow. The change is also designed to encourage better and closer racing.

For the TCS Finals, we will implement a minimum weight and a limit on the number of spec tires you will be able use for the F-1 class.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for posting this up Fred.

It's very disappointing that I won't be able to use the Novak 25.5 motors that I already have.

I won't be able to buy any new motors before the race next month, so I'll have to skip Mini and F1 this year.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Unfortunately I may not be able to participate in mini or F1 this year as I can not afford to buy 2 motors in this short of a period.

Just a suggestion that I know will not happen. What if for this season we allow any 21.5 for mini and any 25.5 for F1 for the regional races and give everyone a chance to have the new reedy motors by Finals and beyond. This will help people who already have these motors to still be able to compete and those that don't have them will buy the new spec motor.
My fear is that attendance for mini and F1 will be very low or nonexistent if the new motor rule is enforced fully. I think it would help to be loose with the rules until finals. That would give plenty of time to be fully complient.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I think its one of those years that you choose to run just one of the new motor classes and maybe a gt class until another motor can be bought. I am all for cheap classes but I also understand the reason for the change. The new short stack motors are making things pretty uneven. I'd like to see the motor rules held for at least 3 years. Regardless if newer tech comes along if we are all running the same motor it won't matter if the Reedy M3 is old tech in 2018.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I think its one of those years that you choose to run just one of the new motor classes and maybe a gt class until another motor can be bought. I am all for cheap classes but I also understand the reason for the change. The new short stack motors are making things pretty uneven. I'd like to see the motor rules held for at least 3 years. Regardless if newer tech comes along if we are all running the same motor it won't matter if the Reedy M3 is old tech in 2018.
I agree the motor rule needs to stay in place for a period of time.

The issue is I like many others do the the TCS for the enjoyment and know that there is no chance to be competitive to the top drivers. Mini and F1 are classes that are more of a fun class. The GT classes don't appeal to me as I am sure as well as others.

I just think at this late of a juncture we should ease into the new spec and then hold it there. As Fred said in his post we need to make it as easy as possible for new blood to join in the TCS fun. Since most people already own a 21.5 or 25.5 motor from 1 or another company. This rule will keep new people away from joining as well as pushing some TCS regulars away. I have been racing in the TCS for 14 years it sucks I probably won't be able to run the classes I enjoy because life gets in the way and I have to replace motors I already own.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
I agree the motor rule needs to stay in place for a period of time.

The issue is I like many others do the the TCS for the enjoyment and know that there is no chance to be competitive to the top drivers. Mini and F1 are classes that are more of a fun class. The GT classes don't appeal to me as I am sure as well as others.

I just think at this late of a juncture we should ease into the new spec and then hold it there. As Fred said in his post we need to make it as easy as possible for new blood to join in the TCS fun. Since most people already own a 21.5 or 25.5 motor from 1 or another company. This rule will keep new people away from joining as well as pushing some TCS regulars away. I have been racing in the TCS for 14 years it sucks I probably won't be able to run the classes I enjoy because life gets in the way and I have to replace motors I already own.
I am surprised you relate F1 as "more of a fun class" as it is one of the harder classes to drive when comparing a direct drive 1100g or less car to say a 4wd sedan or even fwd sedan. With the change to 25.5 power in F1, most areas, including Southern California, are seeing an increase again in F1. The die hard TCS racers who ran F1 will still race F1. The "new racers" will come run as they can now know they will have the same motor everyone else in the class will have, a more driveable F1, a motor they can race TCS with for at least two years (maybe three if we all talk nice to Fred) and the Reedy Sonic is a competitive motor against the other 25.5's if one chooses to run it in their local club races too.

Racing is a hobby. Hobbies cost money. If you choose to skip TCS after 14 years because you have to buy a new motor that you can use for TCS and local races for at least the next two years, that is your choice and enjoy racing your local club races with all your old equipment, tires and batteries you already own. I will go out and buy a new motor and keep racing F1 because that class is my passion. I fully understand why Fred choose the motor brand he did because it is easy for tech at ALL TCS races to check because having to tear down motors and having someone knowledgeable enough to know what they are looking at is not realistic at every regional. Why is it people keep telling Fred to make things more "spec" in TCS and when he does, people jump right out and complain how they have to buy new stuff.

Panda
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
I am surprised you relate F1 as "more of a fun class" as it is one of the harder classes to drive when comparing a direct drive 1100g or less car to say a 4wd sedan or even fwd sedan. With the change to 25.5 power in F1, most areas, including Southern California, are seeing an increase again in F1. The die hard TCS racers who ran F1 will still race F1. The "new racers" will come run as they can now know they will have the same motor everyone else in the class will have, a more driveable F1, a motor they can race TCS with for at least two years (maybe three if we all talk nice to Fred) and the Reedy Sonic is a competitive motor against the other 25.5's if one chooses to run it in their local club races too.

Racing is a hobby. Hobbies cost money. If you choose to skip TCS after 14 years because you have to buy a new motor that you can use for TCS and local races for at least the next two years, that is your choice and enjoy racing your local club races with all your old equipment, tires and batteries you already own. I will go out and buy a new motor and keep racing F1 because that class is my passion. I fully understand why Fred choose the motor brand he did because it is easy for tech at ALL TCS races to check because having to tear down motors and having someone knowledgeable enough to know what they are looking at is not realistic at every regional. Why is it people keep telling Fred to make things more "spec" in TCS and when he does, people jump right out and complain how they have to buy new stuff.

Panda
I agree with having a spec motor for the class. I am just saying it would have been nice to know slot further in advance. Not everyone can just go out and spend $100 on a new motor at a drop of a hat. I get this is a hobby and it costs money, I also know plenty of people that enjoy this hobby and still do it on a budget. The hobby and TCS racing can't just be for the rich club or people that don't have other expenses. I know many parents like me that gave wanted and still want to get our kids racing especially in TCS, but that is much harder to do know especially when the electronics cost 3 times more than an inexpensive kit. You all enjoy being elitests and not see the other side of growing a hobby. Hopefully I can find a way to get motors to run my favorite classes otherwise it was a fun 14 years of racing in the great TCS.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR

Panda
I think it's fine for you to express your opinion and support for Fred's decisions. But, you don't have to make a comment about someone's equipment. That has no place in the discussion.

RC racing can be an expensive hobby. As I've said in the past, for a high percentage of the TCS racers it's a one race series. With the motor rule changes people are not going to want to buy new motors for one race when they already have 21.5's and 25.5's.

It's interesting to look back at all the comments about the silver cans and the motor voodoo. Now, you have a requirement with numbers etched on the output shaft of brushless motors. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

M3 25.5

How did we end up changing to a motor that
  1. does not meet the ROAR 25.5 spec guidelines
  2. is the slowest of all currently available, ~40% less power than we ran the last 2 years or about 15% slower than a silvercan
  3. Is not the novak motor specified in the only currently run 25.5 spec class
  4. Is slower than that used in the mini class defined by the series as being for less experienced racers
  5. Cost as much if not more than any of the other spec motor options
  6. has a reputation for poor reliability and quality control.
  7. will only be usable for 1 race
  8. turns the class into a battery war, aka wallet race.
  9. requires EVERYONE to by new more expensive battery and an illegal motor.

This has to be the absolute worst possible choice. It seems to me that if a slowdown was required which i personally do not believe, we should have gone to a ROAR approved list once available, used the 25.5 novak designated for vta, or a cheap throw away motor such as the 16t the mini drives ran last year.

@Fred hows that new full scale reedy powered car drive?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

That's about as simple as it gets, no more motor wars.

So, who can dial their Reedy motor in the best, find that sweet spot between timing and gearing?

Any special TCS pricing?
Someone had to ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.