Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree823Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

tire conservation & strategy can definitely play a significant in any form of racing, but I don't think you can blame the one tire rule in 1:1 F1 for the Big Red's dismal performance this season... There's more amiss with the current car than choice of tire manufacturer. Hell, without the Indy 1-2 they'd be even further down the charts!

I've been contemplating participating in the regional TCS here, but am still trying to sort out what class to run. Problem is, they're almost ALL so appealing! Spec, Mini, Touring, F1... Maybe I'll just start by buying new batts and an ESC

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
The horse continues to bloody, if the playing field was leveled as to the number of sets of tires allowed then every body would slow down at the same rate right? Look at what the one set rule has done to real F1, it took a dominant team and made them a non contender. At Lemans, tire conservation is critical to victory. If you have to make a set of tires last through 2 or 3 runs you are not going to be putting the car on the ragged edge every lap. I might be wrong, but I think the racing would be much closer. The trick then becomes how to set up the car to save the tires. I think you would see a different outcome in the results, or maybe not.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
@ mr postman- At the risk of starting yet another argument (seems to happen often lately )...
No, no reason to. We are just both expressing our views in a gentlemanly manner.

My comments were perhaps a not so friendly reminder, directed to some of the folks out there that Tamiya is doing this because they want to, not because they have to. I'm the last person who would want to see them discontinue the TCS series and/or disallow people from using their test track on Saturdays.

I agree about the problem with "high rollers" who can afford to buy fresh tires and batteries for every run. As was already brought out in another post, this practice has even creeped down to club level racing, and for what, a dash plaque (which I like) or some race "bucks"? Unfortunatly, at any level of racing, there are going to be a few people out there that have "more dollars than sense", and have no problem dumping wad full of green, looking for that "advantage".

My only thought, in order to help try to "level" the playing field is this. Run the regionals in the same manner that they are now, but for the Nationals, charge an "entry" fee to run this event. For your money, you would receive a racing package consisting of: your racing group's motor, two (or three) sets of premounted spec tires, one (or two battery) pack(s), driver's ID badge, and one each of the "TCS racing series" and "Aliso Viejo Circuit" stickers (sorry, I couldn't resist adding this).

Again (as with all of my posts), it's just my two point five cent...

TC
Old 09-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by OSherman
What tires were the Past Champs using???
Takeoff CS-27's. As for a "spec" tire, I'd rather see them use the RP's...

TC
Old 09-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's the TAMIYA championship series folks, not the Take-Off Champsionship Series...if there are going to be Spec tires, let there be Tamiya Spec tires that you gule infront of tech or that Tamiya pre-glues before the event with a spec rim and insert.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Probably the easiest way around this is for Tamiya to develop one or two types of spec pre-mount tires. Since that is not the case they either have to

A) Inspect the tire while you mount it in front of a Tamiya employee. When finished they put on a non removable sticker with an initial.

B) Use another companies pre-mount. In the past other companies have made tires for for manufacturers to buy. Who knows maybe there are only 2 or 3 companies that makes tires?

C) Let guys who wanna buy 39 sets buy 39 sets. On blistering pavement that is definately an advantage.

Outside of F1 Nascar Busch series teams do run with limited sets of tires too. Although they have other problems with their big NC drivers polluting that series. It does a good job at making the racing a lot closer.

If Tamiya really wanted to be clever they could have a red color compound tire and a blue compound color tire.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr_postman
Takeoff CS-27's. As for a "spec" tire, I'd rather see them use the RP's...

TC
Takeoff's are much more effective over the long haul though. RP's are good for 2 runs AND THAT'S IT Might as well use Tamiya tires then. Personally I really fear the RP's becoming popular because for one run they are awesome and it's all down hill from there. My fear is the hotshots at club races will run a new set, kick ass, then buy another set for the next club race. I'm sure some are doing it already Way too expensive for my tastes.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
It's the TAMIYA championship series folks, not the Take-Off Champsionship Series...if there are going to be Spec tires, let there be Tamiya Spec tires that you gule infront of tech or that Tamiya pre-glues before the event with a spec rim and insert.
I agree with you Gary that this is the TAMIYA series, but then why were the Past Champs using CS27's.
I think it was to get more than one run at full tilt and to give them all equal grip.
Seems to even those guys out, with the exception of King Crisp.
If you take out the compound, insert, wheel combinations it makes for less stress and lets you use the time to make the fine adjustments and get used to the track. I know I don't like spending $500+ for tires for my son and me for one race, then having worn down tires sitting in a box for the next regionals where you need to buy more. Our regional was 2 weeks before the nats, that was a lot to spend, one of the reasons I didn't go to the nats this year, but my son went and had his usual great time at Tamiya.
Fred
Old 09-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

...hmm...because Tamiya tires are overpriced, good for, hmm, 2 runs and are useless anywhere else. The racing would be sooo much better competition and cost wise for all involved if Take Off's were the spec tire.
Tamiya makes radios, speed controls and batteries- you don't see those being necessary items to run in TCS
Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeR
Takeoff's are much more effective over the long haul though. RP's are good for 2 runs AND THAT'S IT Might as well use Tamiya tires then. Personally I really fear the RP's becoming popular because for one run they are awesome and it's all down hill from there. My fear is the hotshots at club races will run a new set, kick ass, then buy another set for the next club race. I'm sure some are doing it already Way too expensive for my tastes.

thats so cal every night? nothing new to report..RPs are takeoffs .cant win if you aint got them skins...
Old 09-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

...and yeah, I can't run the Nats anymore but I want the TCS series to grow. Did it seem like there were less people (judging by the group shot and the sign up list) at this years Nats or is it just me?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default 2005 TCS Nationals

Hey Fred:
Now you know how Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosely feel???? no matter what is done "there is always going to be the bench racing statements" on how it can get better. As you no I have been racing in the F1 class since it's begining in 1994. it is well known that the TA track has very different grip pending the weather conditions "June Gloom" Marine Layer, Direct Heat. If cost effective feasible it would be great to have the track open all week before the race. This would give the out of towners a little more of a chance to keep up with the TA Locals that as Charlie S. states run (Pack after Pack after Pack of batteries) I know everybody would agree there is no subsitute for track time! I hope you will consider the F1 class for future TCS Finals and consider a F103 class. Bruce ran his 1998 TCS Champ F103 with a 19t spec motor with 4 cells with the old Tamiya Foam HBR Rubber and was blowing away all the F201's and GT1 and GT2 Sedans on Thurs. and Friday Practice??
I believe if considered a F103 class would get the F1 class going again. The F201 is a great engineering piece, but there are really only a limited few people that are really competitive with the car. The F103 is simple, quick, and easy to get competive with and very cost effective to maintain and race competitively.

SH
Old 09-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

BRING BACK THE 103!!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Fangio
BRING BACK THE 103!!!!!
YEAH BABY, YEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Originally Posted by MikeR
...hmm...because Tamiya tires are overpriced, good for, hmm, 2 runs and are useless anywhere else. The racing would be sooo much better competition and cost wise for all involved if Take Off's were the spec tire.
Tamiya makes radios, speed controls and batteries- you don't see those being necessary items to run in TCS
I dunno, the Volac is one hell of a speed, as was the TRF 2002 And if tires were made available ahead of time through conventional dealers and the LHS instead of just from TA the week before, they would be less expensive. I think the B3 is a great tire that lasts quite a long time. Besides, if it's a spec tire and spec insert, it sucks the same for everyone!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

If the Past Champs get a lil lee-way (sp) for better performance/traction, why shouldn't the rest of us. They are running the same TCS Nationals on the same day..
Old 09-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

YEAH BABY, YEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

.... I think the B3 is a great tire that lasts quite a long time.... Besides, if it's a spec tire and spec insert, it sucks the same for everyone....!
BUT, not everyone can afford 6+ sets of tires to be competative.

2+ runs/sets for practice friday, 6+ runs/sets for qualifiers on saturday, 2 sets for sunday... and that is minimum...

$0.02

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.