Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeR
I ran my TA04 like crazy in club races/ parking lot races with my regular equipment (Sorex, stock motors) and that I believe was the difference in making my car fast.
So you racers with modest race budgets, don't get discouraged by guys with 20 sets of B tires and 50,000 hours at the Tamiya track....
You've hit the nail on the head with this one. Getting "seat time" with your car is probably the most important thing you can do to get quicker on the track. I had to work on Saturdays until recently. Now, I've had the chance to go to Tamiya a few times in the last couple of months. I did it not to "dial in" the car for TCS, but rather, to practice driving clean race lines, control the car in traffic and the pass other cars without ramming into the back of them.

As a result, I've been doing better at the local club events. Also, at the June TCS race, I finished 1st in the "E" main (with only one other car on the track). At the TCS Nats, I finished 2nd in the "C" main, with eight other cars out there. Sure, I have a long ways to go before I ever reach the "fast guy" status and the chance of winning the "big ticket" at TCS falls between the "slim" and "none" catagories. But I stop and think to myself, it wasn't all that long ago where I was spending more time waiting for a turn marshal to flip my car back over, than actually running the car during a race.

There's been a lot of wailing and nashing of teeth on this thread, as of late. If this keeps up. I suppose there's a chance Tamiya could just decide that running the USA TCS program is just too much of a hassle, and drop the program altogether. They could also come to the conclusion that opening the track on Saturdays does give an unfair advantage to drivers local to the area and limit access to their test facility to factory drivers and employees only. Speaking only for myself, I do not wish to see this happen.

Yes, Tamiya does this to "sell" car kits, hop-up parts and tires, but how many other companies are out there, are doing anything that even comes close to what Tamiya is doing, on a national scale, let alone worldwide? They held 9 regional events, plus one national race in the USA alone. Think of the cost involved for providing the awards, cars kits, raffle prizes, and t-shirts for each event. There's the time (which equates to money also) it takes with planning and coordinating the different events with regional hosts also. Knowing what I go through to get myself ready for it, I can't even begin to think of the effort that's put in to run the Nationals.

This is a daunting task, and it's a given that some mistakes will be made, but what other r/c car manufacturer even attemps to run a racing series like Tamiya does?

A heartfelt "thank you" goes out to everyone at Tamiya, from the NorAm CEO, to the guy who got stuck dumping out those over-flowing trash cans. Special Thanks to Fred, who must have a bull's eye tattooed on his forehead, because whenever someone takes shots at Tamiya or the TCS series, they always seemed to be aimed directly at you .

Looking forward to running TCS next year and hoping to get the time off to do one or two out-of-region events too. If you guys can afford the staffing, I vote "yes" to having the track available for practice the whole week leading up to the Nationals. Also, I vote "yes" to a Old Dudes GT class (sorry, even after 45 years, I've failed to "master" anything yet ). Anyone over 40 (ID required) and use (or make modifications) the old "rally car" class rules and run the races without the yumps.

Again, thank you.

Terence Cole
Cole Bros. Racing
Old 08-31-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Since you're splitting mini classes, can we request to drop the two class limit for regionals ? That way, I can run GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, Mini-04, and F201 class at the same event. I will just need to buy a few more chargers. BTW - that is with a seperate car for each class.
Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Amazing what some people will do to avoid being a corner marshall
Forget about the racing, the real reason he wants to do that so he'll have 5 chances to win at concourse.

TC
Old 08-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

@ mr postman- At the risk of starting yet another argument (seems to happen often lately ) I dont believe that everyone or anyone is taking shots at Fred or Tamiya. There were a couple of comments made that could be construed as cheap, but from what I have been reading, most are complements, constructive criticisms and suggestions.
I did not attend this year for a variety of reasons ( mostly due to lack of funds) but have participated in 6 or 7 others with varying success. To me TCS has grown and grown and grown and has begun to resemble a pro series. Guys are running fresh tires like someone is handing them out for free. I know this is not the case, but if that is what it takes to run near the front you are going to see alot of people dropping out. Maybe they can afford it, but most are going to quit before the spending game gets further out of control. In 201 I usually go a season on 2 sets of A's. I spent a boatload on tires last year and didn't use even half of them. I guess where I am going is that whichever direction TCS goes, it just needs to be defined if it more pro series than hobby fine but the competitors need to be aware of that going in. Finally, Fred and his crew as well as Tamiya do an excellent job of running the series. He is very creative in doing new things to keep the events interesting, and if someone says otherwise I would tend to believe that they are clueless or bitter .
Old 08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Wht is everyone mad??
this is the only racing that is free and whay mess it up on small stuff
as for tires and motors
run tamiya tires!!!!!!!!!!!
they are very good tires and will last if the car is set right
if we keep talking about the tcs racing and how to change it
tamiya might pull the plug on the best racing in the country.
just my 2 cents
mike
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
No, our cars came together because my car was waaaaay too pushy loose in those heats, I got loose, over corrected, and you were there. I just want to know how in the world Johnny got that kind of speed out of his 04!
Me too ! At least if I had kept going the first time you could have held him off for me.

Now for the important question. 2 years ago - cheese. Last year - Ren and Stimpy. This year - mayo. What's up for next year ?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Me too ! At least if I had kept going the first time you could have held him off for me.

Now for the important question. 2 years ago - cheese. Last year - Ren and Stimpy. This year - mayo. What's up for next year ?
Well, there is a pattern started here now ...Condiment... cartoon... condiment... so I guess next year will be a cartoon. But don't forget my BAR Corvette that I ran in 2002 or the Miller Light F103 in 2001....

Kevin, are you insinuating that I drive a wide car?!?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

And not to bead a dead horse, but my only comment on the shortened practice schedule...

Anyone notice that at least 2 of the winners were no-where to be seen during practice on Thursday and Friday? Why? Because they were there every weekend practicing and didn't need those 2 days. Speedweeks is not, nor has ever been, for the locals. It was an experiment that had interesting results. I gotta borrow something from Charlie Suangka...

Who Loves the Internet?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Old 09-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Default Cost Control

Definitely gotta do something about the tires.. Everyone knows they are toast at the end of 5 min.. You'd be lucky to get 2 decent runs..

I suggest there be a limit to the sets allowed. Or get/produce a tire with stamina.

One run tires @ $30+ a pop.. Not including the the wheels to mount them on..

Good thing I recycle my inserts..

What tires were the Past Champs using???
Old 09-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"...local elder John Christensen..."

taken from the TamiyaUSA's race recap
Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Default FRED DO YOUR JOB

the first thing is to take away all sponserd guys out of the picture..do your home work fred and weed out all factory guys befor they could sign up, better yet make a list at the begining of the 2006 season, any body on the list would be out ....you know im running next year for sure you could bet your hair on it...lol.... ..
Old 09-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Default tcs finals winners

Congrats to all the winners this year, you all did a great job. As far as everyone talking about the locals winning because they had more practice, Hey thats the way life is. If the race was at your local track you would put in as much time practicing there to get your set up right in preperation for the big race to. I have been to this race 4 times, my first time was the best I ever did comming in third in gt1, the next year I was in the c main and the following year I was in the b main, so I am starting to move myself back up. Anyway I always have a good time and try to take things with a light heart, so congradulations to the winners and good luck in japan. Bring home a win.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

next year just ban all the locals
Old 09-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The horse continues to bloody, if the playing field was leveled as to the number of sets of tires allowed then every body would slow down at the same rate right? Look at what the one set rule has done to real F1, it took a dominant team and made them a non contender. At Lemans, tire conservation is critical to victory. If you have to make a set of tires last through 2 or 3 runs you are not going to be putting the car on the ragged edge every lap. I might be wrong, but I think the racing would be much closer. The trick then becomes how to set up the car to save the tires. I think you would see a different outcome in the results, or maybe not.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Well, there is a pattern started here now ...Condiment... cartoon... condiment... so I guess next year will be a cartoon. But don't forget my BAR Corvette that I ran in 2002 or the Miller Light F103 in 2001....

Kevin, are you insinuating that I drive a wide car?!?
I didn't know TCS even existed until '03, The BAR vette sounds cool.

A wide car to one person is just a tight line to another person. Heck, haven't you seen Mr. F. Alonso's 10' wide Renault when Kimi is around him ?

Look forward to battling with you next year. If you want to go anime / cartoon, the TAOB guys could hook you up with ideas. PG and non-PG versions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.