Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No, your son is correct... Chris won... he just got help from TAOB factory! You know, concours can be a bloodbath sometimes.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by eeyan
No, your son is correct... Chris won... he just got help from TAOB factory! You know, concours can be a bloodbath sometimes.
Or a Mayo bath, whichever you prefer
Old 08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Gary said MAYOOO!!!

But hey, we got to give you props man. Overnighting a TA05 to your hotel and running it to race that same morning... WOW, I would have literally kissed your feet if you nailed the A-Main showing, but I won't! Why? Because you forgot to glue your tires... So I guess we'll be seeing you again next year...
Old 08-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

.7 seconds man...that's all I missed it by. No massages setup, no nothing. All I did was take the LW arms off my 04 and the shocks and throw it on the 05. Garber loaned me the one ways and universals, and MPH loaned me some Surikarn blocks.

And it wasn't the tires that got me...

It was the tires...
And the 2 blown speedos...
and the barrel roll in the back left corner in the 2nd round...
and not pushing hard enough in round one...
and the fact that 10 other guys had their shit together and I didn't. I didn't deserve to be in there.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm all in favor of cost controls but I was doing self imposed cost control already in 2003 when I ran the Nats. You don't need to break the bank to win. These were my purchases to get ready for GT2 in 2003;

$150- used TA04R from Charlie Barns. Had a cracked chassis I CA'd and was probably raced/ used for some time. Rebuilt it and it was a solid car.

$100- Acer ceramic bearings

$120- 2 sets of A's and 2 sets of B tires. I didn't even use the 2nd set of B's. I practiced 1 day with some leftover B's I bought from someone for 10 bucks. The ribs were showing. I also used leftover lightweight inserts from years past.

$35 New lightweight NSX

$50- misc Tamiya hopups- Alloy ball ends, screws etc.

$0 batteries- used the same set I ran from the Reedy Race.

I also didn't spend the the week practicing- a few hours on Thursday and a few on Friday mixed in with 1 Saturday that month.

I ran my TA04 like crazy in club races/ parking lot races with my regular equipment (Sorex, stock motors) and that I believe was the difference in making my car fast.
So you racers with modest race budgets, don't get discouraged by guys with 20 sets of B tires and 50,000 hours at the Tamiya track....
Old 08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good... So there's definitely an opportunity to have fun on a regional level at a reasonable price. Do most people in the Mini class run the M-03 chassis, or the M-04? Any specific advantages to running FWD/RWD?

I need to update most of my equipment anyway, new batteries, new ESC, etc. Tips, advice & suggestions are most welcome!
Old 08-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I still enjoy TCS but I am starting to feel the cost. I feel like I am driving better than ever and paying attention to the details and I am still just that far behind. Some guys are just naturals and others have to work really hard to compete, I think I am somewhere in the middle. Hopefully I will make it out next year because it is a privelage to be able to run at an awsome facility like TA
I think many of us feel like we are in that same boat.

Originally Posted by MikeR
So you racers with modest race budgets, don't get discouraged by guys with 20 sets of B tires and 50,000 hours at the Tamiya track....
Thanks for the honesty. It makes my wallet feel much better. I try to keep it in the sane spending end. No Visa Factory Racing for me....
Old 08-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FMW
I hope to see everyone get more pysched for season 12
Thanks FMW for all your work and trying to make things happen. As far as worn out people on your end I am sure some of us who come to the race would be happy to be the "Tamiya Dictator" for the day to make sure the track is blown off, gooped up, setup, whatever. We are there anyways, usually 10-15 min of work is not going to kill us. Many of us could use the exercise anyways.

If you can get the 2006 rules by October that could help us out a lot.
One thing that could help me out is getting 2006 nats date figured out. I have a little bit of a juggling act to do for Aug 06.
Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Fred and Tamiya Staff.

Thanks for putting on a great race.

Please keep f201 for next year and still go to Japan. Its a fun class and great racing.I would like to see a cost control program for all and keep it for all sportsman drivers with no factory support.

Kevin Smith
Old 08-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Things will be different next year, have some things in mind and I will post it by October, but I assure you that people will still moan at me.
Can't win
Please don't change the tire rule yet. I have too many new sets of Tamiya tires still.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

I agree with the spec tire rule change.
At the Reedy race you get to tech 4 sets for qual and the race. That cost was $120. for RP30's pus 3 sets for practice,$90. That was a deal.
The previous year they ran Takeoff 27's with the same no. of tires, it was even cheaper then.
With Takeoff 27,s you can use them most of the year and save some of the 1 run sets for practice. That would really cut the costs down, so you could spend more at the closeout sale.
Fred
Old 08-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FMW
BTW Next year I am going to split mini into M0-3 and M0-4.
I hope to see everyone get more pysched for season 12
Since you're splitting mini classes, can we request to drop the two class limit for regionals ? That way, I can run GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, Mini-04, and F201 class at the same event. I will just need to buy a few more chargers. BTW - that is with a seperate car for each class.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
.7 seconds man...that's all I missed it by. No massages setup, no nothing.
Then that means I missed it by 1.4 secs. I guess that's why our cars came together in the B main. Must have slid on the Hellmans.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

No, our cars came together because my car was waaaaay too pushy loose in those heats, I got loose, over corrected, and you were there. I just want to know how in the world Johnny got that kind of speed out of his 04!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Since you're splitting mini classes, can we request to drop the two class limit for regionals ? That way, I can run GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, Mini-04, and F201 class at the same event. I will just need to buy a few more chargers. BTW - that is with a seperate car for each class.
Amazing what some people will do to avoid being a corner marshall

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.