Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Doc, I've got the instruction manual for the lap counting system. I'll mail it...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Well,

Call me crazy, but I think the TCS series is about right the way it is. It was the TCS series that got me back into racing after a 12+ year layoff. The prospect of a manufacturer-run series that has been existence for so many years (and shows no signs of going anywhere) gave me confidence that my initial investment would be good for TCS racing for a significant number of years. Never mind the fact that Tamiya's super-realistic cars are so much fun to race. Costs? To race at a high level wasn't cheap 12 years ago and it that's still true today, even more so. But the TCS series seems to offer something for everyone. As others have stated, Mini lets you participate in the finals without breaking the bank (too much, anyway). Granted it's not a Japan eligible class, but what other way can a sportsman have a chance to compete and even "make the show" at a world-class facility like the Tamiya track? And, to me, Rod Canare's account of John Houda's GT-2 effort sounded like there were more brains and skill at work than pure dollars spent (e.g. a minimum of heavy hop up parts, older, lighter batteries, light weight wheels and inserts - smart!). Marshalling the GT-2 A mains, I can say John's driving was nearly flawless, and his car was super smooth as it floated around the track (of course, I only watched my corner - yeah right!). Yes, I imagine he spent a lot of money on tires. I'm less familiar with GT-1, but won't there always be some guys, well-heeled or otherwise, who want to run the best cars and equipment, go fast, and redline their wallets? For some cost relief, how about teching some number of sets of tires for the finals weekend? Same any Tamiya tire / insert rules as now, just a "three sets of tires" rule for the weekend (or some other number). This might provide motivation for racers to run a "middle of the road" insert and tire combo that would wear well and handle the possible temperature ranges for the weekend. As far as concerns about practice time for the out-of-towners, I say if you can't get your stuff together in two days, you probably don't deserve to be a TCS champion. As has been said before, just my two cents. At any rate, a big thanks to Fred, Gary, and the entire Tamiya USA crew for putting on a great race. Special thanks to John Hallman for helping me keep my tires glued to their wheels. Can't wait for next year!

Andy
Old 08-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Default Thanks!

Hey Fred and the Tamiya crew,
Thank you once again for a wonderful race weekend. Congrats to all the winners of each class Devin, John, Edgar, and Corey. I think the TCS has been and always is about a level playing field for everyone. The sucess of this series comes down to the fact that people come out to race the TCS and just have so much fun. Though I didn't do as well as I thought I would do, I did enjoy some great battles on track with a very strong F1 field. But once again we should thank Tamiya America and the great crew that promote and support this wonderful race series. Time to relax and enjoy the off-season, I hope to see everyone at a TCS regional and the finals again in 2006.

George Canare
Old 08-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson

I managed to catch the 'i just gotta have the ti-axles flu' on Saturday. I took some 'gotta run the steel axle syrup' on Sat eveniing and felt a lot better.
Man, Walgreens in Oakland ran out of that stuff years ago!!

Here's a question for the local bay area people... where do you guys race the rest of the year? I'm thinking I should probably stop by and check things out!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi guys,

now that I finally recovered, I would like to say:

Congrats to all the winners, now go and do some damage on the other side of the pond

Fred and the Tamiya staff: Awesome job as always! Having not been out at the Tamiya track to practice lately, it was nice to see everyone again.

MDawson, thanks for all your help in the pits, especially with the motor, and for the motivation and entertainment you provide in the pits. I'm ready to do this again

Dan G, Mike S, Josh T, and John C, thanks for getting my car through tech. John C, glad to see you smiling and in the hunt in GT-2 A-main (Cheetah GRRR).

Richard Smith: Nice run in the A-main buddy, let me know when you're up for F1 practice again. Thanks for the fun in the pits.

To the fast Canadians (Tom, Steven, Mike, Martin), Washington folks (Dan, Kevin), The Hickmans (Bruce and Steve), Norcal gang (Linger, George, Juan), the locals (Marquez, Soriano, Clipper, and TAOB Lim and Tony Q) and everyone else that stop by on Thursday night, thanks for visiting, it was like a big reunion and nice to see everyone again. If we can coordinate better next year, we can provide food and drinks and have a party in the warehouse!

My take on the rules:

Bring back speedweek, I think what the racers enjoy other than just having more track time is to just hanging out at the track and having fun with their buds or chat with people they haven't seen in awhile. Having the track open all week will just give you more track time, however, the layout is usually changed right before qualifying start. Also, in history, TCS national weather was never consistant like this year. Most of the time the weather at Aliso Viejo will do a complete flip from practice days to qualifying and race days, making things real challenging. So being there all week might not yield huge advantage, however, knowing as much as you can about your car and what it does in reference to the changes you make will give you the best chance to adapt to the changing track condition and finding that setup

I think spec tires would be in the right direction (even if they remain to be tamiya tires), and a limitation on how many set you can tech in, these will help reduce the cost of racing. If we get to use spec tires that still can be run after the race (i.e. Take off CS27) then that would be even better

Can't wait until 2006 season

Steve Wang
"F1 Maniac" <--- name given by guest announcer Charlie Suangka
Old 08-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey Fred,

has the concours car made it into the showroom yet? man..cant wait for the 2006 TCS schedule

- Chris
Old 08-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Thanks Tamiya Crew.

I had fun !

PS. Not sponsored in any way or by any homie.

Kevin Smith
Old 08-30-2005, 10:42 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I didn't mean to sound like I was boiling, but I did read an earlier post that attacked my physical appearance because of the sponsored driver debate and that kind of thing does anoy me.
Anyone who knows me well enough and most don't should realize that I hate mistakes (mine even more) and can't settle until it's perfect or near to it. Maybe that's a silly thing to shoot for, but it's the way it is for me. I like it so that people can have fun and can come to TA to compete with their friends in as a level playing field as I can possibly make it. It will never be 100% level, but if it's close that's good.
The two day practice was done for many reasons.
1. Back in the days of ROAR when National events were notorious for having week long practice sessions that started on Monday all the guys I knew in the business (our competitors) were saying that the cost involved was ridiculous. After some smart thinking alot of host sites were starting to restrict practice to two to three days. This made a lot of sense. This year it occured to me that the Tamiya TCS Nats was the only race I could think of that still had a week long practice. After much thought I decided to limit it like I do with the Reedy Race and KO. Good or bad it had to be tried.
2. I had also thought that this would limit locals from coming every day to get used to the layout.
3. It would give our crew at work more time to prepare for a smooth event, which it really helped as we were in fresher spirits for the weekend as compared the 7 day marathon from the past. It was almost a one day practice, but I had changed my mind by the time I posted the rules on the web. Maybe next year it will go back to the same or maybe it will be somewhere in the middle. I need to think about it more as I did not realize that many of you come for the sites as well and only practice for a bit and then hit the beach. I have been used to going to races out in the PITS of society and dreaded long practice weeks. We'll see.
As far as battery control, tires and Homie hook-up sponsorships I think there is a better answer and it just means more work for TA, but it could work. The Euros do something that I can modify that should make most TCS racers new and old happy again.
I like the idea of a controlled tire and battery for at least GT-2, Mini and F-1.
BTW Next year I am going to split mini into M0-3 and M0-4.
I hope to see everyone get more pysched for season 12
Old 08-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
Hey Fred,

has the concours car made it into the showroom yet? man..cant wait for the 2006 TCS schedule

- Chris
Hey Chris, your paypal bounced, and I want the bodies BACK !!!

Congrats on the concours, Tom told me it was no contest!!
Fred
Old 08-31-2005, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Hey Chris...
Congrats on the concours, Tom told me it was no contest!!
Fred
Old 08-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TAOB Ferrari F430

Hope you guys liked it...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-taob_ferrari_f430.jpg  
Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

nice pic eeyan...too bad i didn't get any alone time with it...

here are couple of mines...i didn't take very many as it was too darn hot...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-web_9999.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-web_9992.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-web_0047.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-web_0131.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-web_0316.jpg  

Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-web_0336.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-web_0353.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-web_0355.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-web_0364.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-web_0450.jpg  

Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Fred, we still love ya big guy.
Really the part that I missed by not being there was hanging out with everyone. You are right, you are never going to please everyone and there is always going to be someone that is unhappy with the outcome. I still enjoy TCS but I am starting to feel the cost. I feel like I am driving better than ever and paying attention to the details and I am still just that far behind. Some guys are just naturals and others have to work really hard to compete, I think I am somewhere in the middle. Hopefully I will make it out next year because it is a privelage to be able to run at an awsome facility like TA
Old 08-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eeyan
OOPS!
Got bad info from my son, after an 18 hour drive back home with Kevin M his brain was a little scatered, must have been all that snoring that the stereo couldn't drown out.
Congrats Ian, what an incredible job !
Fred Forg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.