Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Why am I getting the feeling that "THE BEST" Tamiya U.S. racers are not being represented on the world level? Maybe because T locals have a local track advantage? USA may be able to bring home more TCS World Champs - but I'm just a chump

EDIT: Unless my eyes deceive me, which is very possible, the Worlds event is run on carpet, no? Things that make you go "hmm".
Old 12-03-2014, 12:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Doesn't it really come down to the best guys that actually show up? You have to have some standard of measurement.

Is there a series point total or just whoever wins at Tamiya's track?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
whoever wins at Tamiya's track?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
Why am I getting the feeling that "THE BEST" Tamiya U.S. racers are not being represented on the world level? Maybe because T locals have a local track advantage? USA may be able to bring home more TCS World Champs - but I'm just a chump

EDIT: Unless my eyes deceive me, which is very possible, the Worlds event is run on carpet, no? Things that make you go "hmm".
Doesn't it really come down to the best guys that actually show up? You have to have some standard of measurement.

Is there a series point total or just whoever wins at Tamiya's track?
Originally Posted by Jethroz
OUCH.

I came in 2nd last year in F1 (and also 2nd in 2010) at the TCS Nats and Sean Wu got 1st.

He went on and won the Worlds. If you don't think he's fast, don't kid yourself.

I won the Nats this year and couldn't get in sync with the Worlds track and wasn't a threat.
My car was fantastic and my power was also top notch tuned with help from my new friend Masatoshi-san.

I feel there were a few heavy hitters at the Nats these past few years.
You should recognize some of the names.

Just sayin.

GT2 USA got 3rd with a shot to win it all.
Julian Wong was on fire.

GT1 USA Nathan Weir ran strong and also had stellar moments.

We are all true sportsmen and not ringers sneakin thru the system.

However, several of the "other" regions Worlds contenders in attendance are allowed to be and have been there before a few times.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Hey, wasn't trying to be insulting. Just wondering how the system works. Do people go to the Nats get there by merit? Do they go on their own dime or are they covered to some extent?

We've got our race series here and it gets very expensive if you want to be a serious competitor and do the travelling to all the events. And there's no trip to Japan if you win!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey, wasn't trying to be insulting. Just wondering how the system works. Do people go to the Nats get there by merit? Do they go on their own dime or are they covered to some extent?

We've got our race series here and it gets very expensive if you want to be a serious competitor and do the travelling to all the events. And there's no trip to Japan if you win!
People who race TCS in the USA race on their own dime, buy their own parts and pay their own expenses. To qualify for TCS Nats, you make the A main at any qualifying regional race. USA drivers used to only get to go to Japan once. That changed two years ago by allowing past champs to race in GT-1 class only for a chance to go again but have to sit out the Nats for two years after they win. Many people who do not live in Southern California say the locals have the advantage. Nathan Weir from the Midwest who won GT-1 this year might disagree with that. And the drivers from Japan, they can keep going back to the Worlds year after year as long as they win their prefecture area I believe. The track every year is brand new carpet and no sauce. And for F1 class, you had to bolt on brand new Tamiya F104 foam tires and could not cut them down. Motors and batteries also very different than what is run in the US and if you tried to run full Japan rules in the US series, most would not race it anymore. So, to answer your questions in a nutshell:

Are the chips stacked in favor of the Japan drivers? Yes

Are the US drivers good: Absolutely and each earned their trip to Japan by hard work and dedication.

I have raced F1 against Cuda these past two years in TCS now and the guy was just so on top of his game this year, he was untouchable. Cuda put in the time, did his homework, paid his dues (think he finished 2nd the last 3 years in F1), drove flawless and earned the trip.

Many joke that it would be cheaper to just buy a plane ticket to Japan than what we spend on the TCS racing to try to win a trip. But winning the trip by beating the best TCS drivers from around the US, representing your country on an International stage, visiting the Tamiya HQ in Japan as an invited guest, heck, the TCS US Champions are winners before they even board the plane at LAX. It takes skill and lady luck to win at any big race. The drivers that go each year have the skill, some have better luck than others but all are richer for the experience.

One more issue that comes up every year is moving the TCS nationals to other parts of the country. Well, that is what people from East of the West Coast keep bringing up. Tamiya America is located in Southern California. The Nationals are held at the Tamiya America track in Southern California. Why would TCS run their race eleswhere ? This is where Tamiya is located so of course they run the race in their backyard at their track.

Panda
Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

No doubts here as to the skills involved.

As for F1, I can't decide if I love it or hate it.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
OUCH.

I came in 2nd last year in F1 (and also 2nd in 2010) at the TCS Nats and Sean Wu got 1st.

He went on and won the Worlds. If you don't think he's fast, don't kid yourself.

I won the Nats this year and couldn't get in sync with the Worlds track and wasn't a threat.
My car was fantastic and my power was also top notch tuned with help from my new friend Masatoshi-san.

I feel there were a few heavy hitters at the Nats these past few years.
You should recognize some of the names.

Just sayin.

GT2 USA got 3rd with a shot to win it all.
Julian Wong was on fire.

GT1 USA Nathan Weir ran strong and also had stellar moments.

We are all true sportsmen and not ringers sneakin thru the system.

However, several of the "other" regions Worlds contenders in attendance are allowed to be and have been there before a few times.
Hey Cuda - was the write-up for the 2013 worlds even published?
Old 12-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Having just returned from 2014 Worlds as a "pit boy" for my son Nathan Weir, just a few comments on Worlds. Worlds are a unique and wonderful experience - and the USA guys have definite disadvantages.

The USA guys get to go once, now perhaps twice in a lifetime to the event. In contrast, the Japanese prefecture winners can go again and again - many of the guys in the pits had multiple "Worlds" stickers on their pit boxes. There were about 20 entries in each class, with one USA driver, one Korean driver, one driver from the Philippines, and 17 or so Japanese drivers.

The rules/equipment for World's are a world apart from what USA drivers are used to. Ever race a 10.5 motor in a sedan geared at 6.50? (Top speed is about like a VTA 25.5 car, but with great gobs of low end torque - a gentle trigger finger required that many USA drivers, myself included, tend to lose with regular racing of USA stock class competition). Using a 2200 MAH 6.6V LiFe battery? In a class that allows a gyro that you can tune in and out? On a carpeted surface with no traction sauce allowed? Those were the World's rules for the USA GT1 class winner. And those were the rules I believe they used at the Japanese prefecture qualifiers. There really was no place to try out setups here in the USA before going to Japan - every carpet track in the USA is sauced up even if you put down unsauced tires. And you then arrive in Japan to have five three minute practices to figure things out once you arrive.

The World's carpet track is really big, tall drivers stand, but my gosh the lane dividers are huge - about 6" x 6" tall. Despite being up high for driving, Nathan commented that there were a couple of corners where he just would lose sight of his car going through the corner - gave it a good guess and hoped. I imagine it was even worse for Cuda with a low to the ground F1! And when you're racing, it is amazing how much you miss being able to understand the announcer calling the race. About once a minute the translator called out in English the USA driver position (thanks to Tom Kendall, Tamiya Inc. translator for the event), but it's just not the same as racing with a play by play you can understand. (Special thanks to Tom Kendall from Tamiya Inc - the guy is really amazing - he moved to Japan 10 years ago from Great Britain not knowing any Japanese, and he's now wonderfully fluent - and a really nice guy - simply amazing language skills.)

We managed to get Nathan's car tuned to conditions pretty well, doing some things I wouldn't have normally done in our week to week carpet racing. Like running 6.0mm front hexes plus 1mm shim on the axle to widen out the front end of the car to calm it down from being twitchy. Adjusting the gyro (unfortunately, there is no precise way to measure the amount of gyro - its a tiny screw adjustment without much ability to mark where you are at). And figuring out that the car handled best if we just ran the tires without cleaning them between runs (the only thing you could clean the tires with was alcohol spray).

Despite all of that, the USA sedan drivers did well. Nathan qualified 5th - the difference in qualifying times was very small across the A main. Mains didn't go as well for Nathan, some just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but one corner that seemed to jump out and bite him (a very severe bumped out corner right after the start finish line), for an 8th and a 6th place finish in the two mains. Julian Wong did very well, also qualified 5th, again with a very tightly bunched A main times, and finished on the podium in 3rd overall, and was in contention for the 1st overall to the very end. Cuda and Danny wished they could have done better, but they did their best and had fun. Cuda even came home with an armful of a present - check out his new tattoo some time!

Tamiya Inc. treated us like royalty, it was a marvelous experience. The Tamiya Fair where the event was held had about 24,000 people or so in attendance for the weekend. The mini 4WD races are the biggest draw - gobs and gobs of people sitting on the ground on blankets tuning there cars (no tables). A wonderful Tamiya Store on site with some great bargains and great finds. Hey all you USA drivers who long for those great handling NSX bodies - guess what I found in the onsite Tamiya Store - 2004 NSX shells at 500 yen (less than $5) and 700 yen for the matching sticker set - on closeout! (I only bought three due to luggage space limitations, but was entirely tempted to buy the full 3'x3' cardboard box full of them, I think there were two cases (50 or more NSX bodies?) and bring them back to sell to all you folks!! Could of made a killing!!) Gary Demory was a great chaperone for the group form TamiyaUSA. Thanks Tamiya and Tamiya USA for the Worlds!

Last edited by minidriver; 12-04-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I've always wanted to go to Japan. It's an icredib...GYROS?!?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've always wanted to go to Japan. It's an icredib...GYROS?!?
Yup, gyros allowed -in F1 and the one sedan class (our GT1) - as long as it was the Tamiya gyro. For World's, every part on the car other than the servo and lead weights must be Tamiya - every screw, spur, pinion, servo saver, ESC, ESC sensor wire, battery - everything.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trouble posting photos!
Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Panda, thanks for the kind words!
Of course you must know that when I mentioned heavy hitters, especially in F1, you are up at the top of that list.
I mean shit, you pretty much own the So Cal carpet scene. When was the last time you lost at TQ?
No doubts here as to the skills involved.

As for F1, I can't decide if I love it or hate it.
If you haven't raced it lately you should give it a try.
The rubber tires lately have turned these things from ill handling parade cars to full blown race cars.
You'd love it.

Originally Posted by k_bojar
Hey Cuda - was the write-up for the 2013 worlds even published?
I never saw any hype after the 2013 Worlds.
The must surely have been published in Japan tho.
Can bet yer ass I'm gonna try to find anything I can published from this year.

And Mr. Weir, you are so spot on, that "arm" trophy means a lot to me and always will.
Traditional Japanese ink, done in Japan by a top notch Japanese tattooer while on a prize trip of a lifetime? No better excuse to get inked up imho.

And treated like royalty is an understatement, they all went above and beyond to make us all feel at home.
Tamiya USA and Japan are very gracious.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
If you haven't raced it lately you should give it a try.
The rubber tires lately have turned these things from ill handling parade cars to full blown race cars.
You'd love it.
I've got one. Just can't decide if I like it. The Pit tires are fantastic, too. We're running blinky 21.5, with motor timing allowed. The thing is it's a little bit Jekyll and Hyde. Through the infield it sticks, turns in well and only gets a little squirelly if it's pushed too hard. At the end of the straight, if you're not dead center in the racing groove, you're not turning at all.

Plus, with all that nose sticking out in front of the wheels, it reminds me of a transit bus crossed with a skateboard. Feels funny.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Champion

I've got one. Just can't decide if I like it. The Pit tires are fantastic, too. We're running blinky 21.5, with motor timing allowed. The thing is it's a little bit Jekyll and Hyde. Through the infield it sticks, turns in well and only gets a little squirelly if it's pushed too hard. At the end of the straight, if you're not dead center in the racing groove, you're not turning at all.

Plus, with all that nose sticking out in front of the wheels, it reminds me of a transit bus crossed with a skateboard. Feels funny.
Rear grip is key for me. 100%

I'll make it turn.

I can't drive a car that can possibly spin out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.