Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I like the idea of the CS27 tire being the spec tire for the TCS series. That would be a big help for setting up the car since thats the only real difference in the way I run my car. I would think that the TL01/TT01 spec class would still be the kit tire rule.

Anyone have an idea if the F201 class will be run for 2006? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Any advanced rule changes would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is it time for the 2006 Regionals?????? I am so pumped already for next year!! Bring It On!!!!

F1-Gotta have it!!

Ray
Old 08-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Constructive advice for next year.....

-Add more practice days for everyone
-Spec Tire for ALL GT Classes (Avoid $35 one-run-tires, open inserts; this will kill TCS participation)
-Minimum car weight for GT1

Just for fun suggestion......

-Make GT1 a heads up racing class, Points totals every round.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

@lbckevin- dude I dont think anyone is really complaining. They are just stating their preference. You do bring up valid points about the facility. Tamiya spends a tremendous amount of money on the TCS series and to ask them to incur more expense is not right. If there are true issues with having the track open all week then it is understandable, it is also admirable that Tamiya is trying to cost control the racing, but as we discussed earlier, there will always be someone out there that has a little more invested in batteries or one more set of tires than the rest. There will be the ones that can afford to fly out more than once to work on set ups. Maybe this sounds extreme and far fetched, but alot of racers hold this event in high regard and put alolt of effort into competing. Im not suggesting that you dont but it is easier to take it for granted when you live near the track. Maybe a majority of the locals aren't there every weekend, but I know that there are guys that live there too , its just like any other track, there are people that open the place and the same guys are the last ones out at closing . I have competed in 6 or 7 of the NAF events and even though I have only made the A once and come close to winning the B a couple of times, I will keep trying. I know the track pretty well but you can always be better, and the only way to be better is through practice.
By the way, the tire proposals being talked about sound good to me, heres one more, how about the premounts, that way the inserts are not an issue.
Also congrats and well done to the winners of the A mains and good luck in Japan.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One thing that is a little ironic about the Aliso neighborhood is Tamiya was there well before any of those homes were built on the hill behind the track. Even the Christian school on the corner was not there nor 1/2 of the strip malls at the bottom of the canyon along Lapaz. The only time 6am rolls around is only on Sat and Sunday for TCS racing or any other event they hold. Every year Tamiya does its best to tell people to be quiet and respectful of the neighbors. Maybe a sign at the gate would be a helpful reminder.

As far as M-F usually guys start showing up at 7:30 am for practice that starts at 9. As far as extra expenses usually Pacific Party Rental has a flat rate. So if the tables show up Monday or Thursday it really does not matter. The Porta-Potty I don't know the cost but would gladly use the USA HQ front entrance to save money. Although if it is really hot I probably would sweat it out.

Many races and tracks are going with a spec tire. Maybe it would be handy for Tamiya to go with a CS27 premount. As long as they are not hard to get.

Wouldnt it be nice if Tamiya awarded some of the bigger regionals a fall event. 6 months and counting... [insert countdown clock here]

Congrats to all the winners and get ur done in Japan!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

MARK D......I have one more constructive advice for next years race also.....

How bout checking to make sure that everyone is not sponsored at all!

This race is for the unsponsored drivers that drive Tamiyas for fun and have a chance to go to the worlds in Japan....They are(as far as I was told before) to be unsponsored...I look down the list of mains and I see many sponsored drivers......I know that there were complaints about people also...so if nothing is to be done then I probably will see many more next year also....just my .02$...........

Barry
Old 08-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Barry Baker

This race is for the unsponsored drivers that drive Tamiyas for fun and have a chance to go to the worlds in Japan....They are(as far as I was told before) to be unsponsored...I look down the list of mains and I see many sponsored drivers......I know that there were complaints about people also...so if nothing is to be done then I probably will see many more next year also....just my .02$...........

Barry

thats bullshit....if your a TRF local fred looks the other way...down with fred..ya man i tried to run it fred told me no way.. thats cool fred i still have my hair.....bitter
Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

I think there should be a tire limit rule where you can only use a certain # of sets for the weekend. Other than that, Tamiya put on a great event and made it one of my more fun racing weekends ever despite the heat and all the money spent on tires.

-Marc M.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Fred - Thanks again for putting on another great race. I always have fun at this race. The past champs class is a blast., so thanks for making that part of the event.

Rod - If you had kept the shinny side up, you would have won for sure as you had a pace that was on average about a 10th or two quicker per lap than me. Tossolini was up racing at a local race here in toronto a couple of weeks ago where he and I had a great battle in the A main. He had the lead and we ran nose to tail and some side by side racing for about 4 mins, but then I hit a board, tweeked my car and finished a couple of seconds behind him. After the race he said to me it was a fun battle, but you can't crash. He was right, I took a lot of chances to try to keep up with him in the end those risks caught me out. So I decided to back it down a 10th at the Tamiya race and see if I could run the entire weekend of racing without putting it on my lid (not including practice). I did put it on my lid once which happened to be the second A main. That first a main was really a blast banging doors, I hope someone got some pics of you and I going through the S's side by side. After watching you and Corey go through those S's I was able to get a little faster, but I still need a lot of practice getting through there quickly. The second A main was also fun as you and I swapped leads a couple of times. I really enjoy racing with you as you are very fast a very clean, but not afraid to mix it up a little. I look forward to next year. Fred and Charlie indicated that we would run the new novak brushless motors, which I would love to see as I much prefer the speed of a modified. I think that speed makes for more passing opportunities and are way more fun to watch. Speaking of making things more fun to watch. I think the reedy race format we have done in previous years is way more interesting to watch.

Some people asked for my setup so here it is. I started out with a wider track i.e C width blocks instead of 1xC blocks. But after talking to Dan Garber I changed it for the mains. It seemed to have more corner speed and grip than the wider setup. Thanks Dan!

Front:

Arms : lw
toe : 0
camber : 1.5
shock mounts : in one hole on shock tower and middle of the three holes on the arm.
shocks : 300 tamiya with 2 hole
blocks : 1xc front and rear
ackerman : front hole on the steering knuckle
upper link : stock setup as per instructions.
up travel : 2mm
springs : yellow
swaybar : yellow

rear:

arms : lw
toe : 2 degrees
camber : 1.5
shock mounts : in one hole on shock tower and middle of the three holes on the arm.
shocks : 200 tamiya with 2 hole
blocks : 1xc front and 1xa rear
rear upright : 1 degree allum.
upper link : middle hole on rear upright, inside hole on inside mount.
uptravel : 2 mm
springs : yellow
swaybar : yellow

Belt index : I had it set to zero because of the low power a 23 turn provides.

Last edited by Martin Crisp; 08-30-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Barry

so are you talking about me again Barry?

BTW whats the handycap these days?

John (aka - 2 pack madjack)
Old 08-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Barry
Oh my goodness! Finally someone said something regarding this matter and among all people, it had to be Barry Baker.

Some people argue that they are qualified because they are just "partially" sponsored. So what's the difference? is there not a reason why you became partially sponsored? Do you not still have an advantage over the average guy who does not have manufacturer connections.

The true meaning of TCS as it was before has been in the trash for so long.

Darn, even RC Manufacturers gets to race now.

I have nothing against the winners, I think they are all excellent drivers in there own right. I just wish they won with the same equipment as the average amateur driver.

Kudos for the drivers who made the A-main with no support what so ever from manufacturers and pro drivers.

Oh.. another thing (shut up already izzy!) CS-27's? since when did Tamiya makes such tires?
Personally I prefer them but again, why? I ran a single set of B3's through out the Tamiya USA Regional, and look what happened. Fred, might as well let me run my TC3... that's a tub chassis ain't it?

Last edited by izzyracer; 08-30-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So here's a suggestion for an easy fix...

Lets go back to the old rules, handout motors, handout battery, and maybe add handout tires? Saves us all money and really levels the playing field. Say we have to pay $50 to enter but you get the above listed? Tell me that's not a bargin? The Chumps did it this year and it worked awesome!

Izzy, I agree with you on the 27 idea (OMFG, right? I agree with you, lol). So why not have someone at TA, or a group of people, start in April and work through July and simply pre-glue Tamiya tires with the same insert in all of them?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

I think any sponsorship = no TCS. There are plenty of other races for the sponsored guys but TCS is for hobbists. People are getting way too serious for this race and that is no good.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
So here's a suggestion for an easy fix...

Lets go back to the old rules, handout motors, handout battery, and maybe add handout tires? Saves us all money and really levels the playing field. Say we have to pay $50 to enter but you get the above listed? Tell me that's not a bargin? The Chumps did it this year and it worked awesome!

Izzy, I agree with you on the 27 idea (OMFG, right? I agree with you, lol). So why not have someone at TA, or a group of people, start in April and work through July and simply pre-glue Tamiya tires with the same insert in all of them?
O my goodness, great idea, so simple and yet effective! hey Gary, what the hell is going on, you and me agreeing on something... dang!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Going to a spec tire or even premounts for future races could save costs and headaches. For those who always never have tires the week before the race, shame on them for not being prepared. It's not like the races only get announced two weeks prior.

If a change is made, I think it should be announced a full year ahead to give both racers, distributors, and hobby shops a chance to sell off or use their stock (like announce in Jan. '06 that Tamiya tires will no longer be necessary in '07). Face it, if TCS stops using a Tamiya tire, then there goes easily 90% of Tamiya tire sales in the U.S. Why should drivers who were prepared and stocked up on tires be stuck with tires they couldn't give away because some people didn't come prepared ?

If Tamiya drops using only Tamiya tires for '06, I have some stock I would like to return for credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.