Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
It was pretty much t bar domination. Cuda's car was the class of the field (an original F104 with the optional tube damper).

I'm sure that the 101 can be competitive, but I think a lot of the guys have so much time on the other models, it will be a while until we see a dialed in 101.
Thanks Rob!
Yeh that same ol setup same ol car pretty much drove itself which was a huge relief. Glad I didn't let it down this year.

Finally got my hands on the new car, the TRF 101W and with the VERY, VERY generous help from Tuning Haus's very own Bill Jeric I was able to convert the W to the standard 101 front end which will be legal for Japan.

This is all assuming that the W car is NOT Japan legal this year but it seems safe to assume it's not.

Anyway, looking forward to testing this new car even though it will be done with running gear that will never be used in serious competition around here.
Brushed sport tuned motor, 6.6v LiFe battery, full sized un doped foams, and fixed 4.0 gearing.
Well it's all ready to go minus the LiFe but gonna see how it goes, wish me luck!
Gonna be a blast, can't wait!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Fred, you guys shot me down on the drilling a #60 hole in the plastic end cap of the TRF shocks. Sorry I did not know that was illegal cause it had passed thru tech for several years. In fact, Eric passed it a couple of times.

The question is, would you accept it if the holes were closed with a dab of cyano???? I have 6 or seven sets of shocks and buying new shock ends would cost me well over $100 for 12 -14 shock trees.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Well it's all ready to go minus the LiFe...
Life battery, as seen in Sand Scorcher 2010 and m-four?

I have an old (A123) LiFe for the scorcher... if you get desperate to practice with that 6.6V power just PM me
Old 09-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa
Fred, you guys shot me down on the drilling a #60 hole in the plastic end cap of the TRF shocks. Sorry I did not know that was illegal cause it had passed thru tech for several years. In fact, Eric passed it a couple of times.

The question is, would you accept it if the holes were closed with a dab of cyano???? I have 6 or seven sets of shocks and buying new shock ends would cost me well over $100 for 12 -14 shock trees.
Robert, please don't take it personally, as you are not the only one. The following information is mainly intended as an FYI for all TCS racers on the topic. There were a few people (none, maybe only one in Mini at the TCS Finals) that had hole's in their shock caps, a few which gave us blank stares after being told they could not have them in the car after that first round. We made it very clear a few times, and it was fine.

It is a useful modification, and be it allowed in other series', in TCS, it is not. In the General Rules sections, there are 3 points which explicitly deem this modification illegal:
4. It is strictly forbidden to re-engineer or modify the car in any way other than with Tamiya Hop-Ups or kit supplied accessories. (This applies to all classes)
13. You may alter the car in any way called out in the “setting sheet”. If the “setting sheet” for your car calls out the adjustment then it’s legal to make the change to your car.
42. Any modification to a car not called out specifically in these rules is not legal.

Now, regarding previous TCS events, just because something that is technically illegal makes it though tech once, twice, or even many times, does not make is legal. This instance is something we never had to look for in the past, and now we do. But in the ever-changing racing world, things are found out, rules get adjusted/changed, and we eventually are required to look for new things.

As a tech guy, it's almost impossible to know/see everything everyone is doing. I don't like being the "bad guy" when it comes down to it, but it is what it is. I had to make CUDA re-mount the servo in his F1 after the first race... and he still owned it! and great job at that.

To answer the question: We allowed the holes to be filled with super glue, or shoe-goo, or whatever works. The hole is a mod, as as long as its not there and acting on the motion of the shock, this is what makes the Tamiya shock legal.

Last edited by EricP; 09-09-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EricP
Robert, please don't take it personally, as you are not the only one. The following information is mainly intended as an FYI for all TCS racers on the topic. There were a few people (none, maybe only one in Mini at the TCS Finals) that had hole's in their shock caps, a few which gave us blank stares after being told they could not have them in the car after that first round. We made it very clear a few times, and it was fine.

It is a useful modification, and be it allowed in other series', in TCS, it is not. In the General Rules sections, there are 3 points which explicitly deem this modification illegal:
4. It is strictly forbidden to re-engineer or modify the car in any way other than with Tamiya Hop-Ups or kit supplied accessories. (This applies to all classes)
13. You may alter the car in any way called out in the “setting sheet”. If the “setting sheet” for your car calls out the adjustment then it’s legal to make the change to your car.
42. Any modification to a car not called out specifically in these rules is not legal.

Now, regarding previous TCS events, just because something that is technically illegal makes it though tech once, twice, or even many times, does not make is legal. This instance is something we never had to look for in the past, and now we do. But in the ever-changing racing world, things are found out, rules get adjusted/changed, and we eventually are required to look for new things.

As a tech guy, it's almost impossible to know/see everything everyone is doing. I don't like being the "bad guy" when it comes down to it, but it is what it is. I had to make CUDA re-mount the servo in his F1 after the first race... and he still owned it! and great job at that.

To answer the question: We allowed the holes to be filled with super glue, or shoe-goo, or whatever works. The hole is a mod, as as long as its not there and acting on the motion of the shock, this is what makes the Tamiya shock legal.
Just to clarify a point, I did not know it was illegal cause it went thru tech. I did not say or imply that since it went thru tech it was legal. It was passed by DJ on couple of occasions also and others too over the past 5or6 years. I just mentioned you cause you've been answering these types of questions lately. Also, you were the one who pointed out it's illegality.

If you'll note the gist of my question was to correct what was illegal in my shock build was it not????? I was not trying in any way to circumvent the rules by plugging the hole with cyano or even better with a silicone glue, was I?????? Just to make sure, plugging the hole with with cyano, silicone or some other substance will bring my shocks in full compliance wit the rules, is that correct???????

Not taking anything personally, Eric. And even if it were, I would' give a rats ass. I'm too old and life is too sort for me to pay much attention.

Last edited by Granpa; 09-09-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

CA or Shoo Goo can 'pop out', 'delaminate', whatever.

Guys spend $100s, maybe $1,000s on motors, but they don't want to buy new shock caps... Too funny
Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
The Tamiya plastic tub cars in order of raw top speed and handling are listed below:

TB-03: Fastest top speed/worse handling
TA-05 V2: Second to fastest in top speed/medium handling
TA-06: Slowest in top speed/Best handling

TB-04: To be determined (I'll have to ask the designers where this new car fits in the matrix abvobe)

Before the TB-04 came out the designers of the cars above pointed out each platforms strengths and weaknesses. Having tested and driven all platforms on the Tamiya track the designers pretty much know what they are talking about. they designed all the cars.

The TA-06 is by far the best tub Tamiya car I have driven on the Tamiya track. Izzy showed it can be competitive as he put one in the A-main. At the 2013 Tamiya World Championships the guy that TQ'd did so with a TA-06 and it was the class of the field until the mains got a little tight.

I think you see a lot of TA-05V2's is due to the best of both worlds. I think the track layout and grip conditions also play into what may be the best for the day.

It will be interesting to see what is popular at the Tamiya World event this year.
That's a very interesting assessment, I think tb03 top speed is pretty on par with ta05v2 if the belt is set to pretty loose but acceleration is much more direct. Was wondering if Tamiya can address the drive train loss of TA06 and maybe make it much better. Was thinking replace rear drive train with a belt setup or maybe just a much thinner set of gears in the gear box will do. I think there is just to much drive train inertia in the TA06 design.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
That's a very interesting assessment, I think tb03 top speed is pretty on par with ta05v2 if the belt is set to pretty loose but acceleration is much more direct. Was wondering if Tamiya can address the drive train loss of TA06 and maybe make it much better. Was thinking replace rear drive train with a belt setup or maybe just a much thinner set of gears in the gear box will do. I think there is just to much drive train inertia in the TA06 design.
Time for a TA06 m-four! Mirror the front pulley gear diff setup to the back, move the motor forward and run a shorty pack down the middle

So it was just me an Izzy with TA06s then? Fred's list only had who ran what in Japan trip classes. It would be interesting to see this for all the classes.

The TA06 rear is also not often experimented on either because it is a royal pain to service it.... I do the Audi le mans gearbox swap. I swap in a new rear end, motor plate and all.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SMcD
CA or Shoo Goo can 'pop out', 'delaminate', whatever.

Guys spend $100s, maybe $1,000s on motors, but they don't want to buy new shock caps... Too funny
I'm glad you found this "too funny", but this is my money we're talking about here. I was just hoping to find a less costly solution to the problem. If the shocks could be made compliant with less than 2 cents of cyano, it made more sense to me than going out and buying 14 trees of parts @ $7 per tree.

Contrary to your observation, putting cyano into a #60, except in unusual circumstances will not pop out. Also delamination is an inaccurate term for the separation of the components in this case.

Last edited by Granpa; 09-10-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's a little video segment done on the TCS Finals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us8kOHoRoB0#t=349
Old 09-15-2014, 02:25 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks to David Weir for tabulating the Final B main results for me! =) They may be viewed here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/l...%20Results.pdf

The B main first place prizes will be shipped to all the winners shortly! =)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Doc
Tech Adept

note for Fred M:

any chance you could lean on jeff from Speedtech to get a proposed date for the next GCR? lots of uniformed speculation on the GCR thread, but nothin worth reading. for the travelling fools like myself, it helps to know ahead.....

thanks!!

bruce
Old 09-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Hence my quote. " 'delaminate', whatever " ...

I was trying to articulate what I meant in QUOTE 'shoo goo/ca/shock cap' terms. Anyone who can help me with my grammar in this instance; please help, and thank you.

Last I counted, a car needs 4 (four) shock caps to go on top of 4 (four) shocks - [or dampers] --whatever...

Gotta follow the rules regardless of my grammar comprehension and presentation/execution/presentation

I mean, maybe I'm stupid. When I read the rules, you can't drill holes in $hit and stuff...

Last edited by SMcD; 09-15-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hey Bruce,
You said we were only racing for bowling trophies.
Guess from now on that's all we can race for huh?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the answer.

Which car is the best Choice for now to buy for the gt2 class?

Daniel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.