Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Congrats to everyone!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As stated before, no matter where a race is held, someone will have the "local" advantage. When I raced SCCA, the National Championships were raced at Road Atlanta every year, yet we had three great tracks in California (The now closed Riverside, Laguna Seca, and Sears Point). Think about the cost to trailer a race car across country and the time involved compared to the guy who takes 4 hours to trailer to the track and races there 6-8 times a year ?

When you talk about cost, think about the much higher cost of living here in Southern California. That adds up each year.

Not everybody has Saturday's off. There are many locals who only get to run at Tamiya for the one regional and the two practice days before the National, and have to take vacation time to do it.

The two days vs. one week was adopted mainly because out-of-towners requested because of the cost. Tamiya used to run two regionals at their home facility but dropped to only one from complaints of an unfair advantage for locals. Run the nationals at a location other than Tamiya's own R&D track at their North America headquarters ? This is the TAMIYA Nationals.

Racing is racing. There will always be someone with advantages. Some because they have more time on a track to test. Some have friends who have been racing for years and can help them with chassis or motor set-up. Some people literally get factory support. Racing is competitive. The fact that it is competitive means it will never, ever be a level playing field for all.

With that said, I feel Tamiya (read Fred) did a good job with having the actual track configuration used in the race set-up for both practice days to give all people who could make practice an equal chance at learning the track. The new motor rules implemented seemed to have a pretty good overall effect. The most important thing to note, the usual suspects who run up front were again the majority of front runners.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree with what your saying, and you're right, no matter how fast you think you are there is usually someone faster. And I'm not cryin anyways, I couldn't make it out this year. However as I stated earlier, if i'm coming all the way out there, I want as much track time as possible. Also you really can't compare this event to others because very few if any have permanent homes. I would definitly be reluctant to go if the nats were held somewhere else. And finally, yes the track hasn't changed in 11 years, but some of us need all the practice we can get.And yes I'm one of those
Old 08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

BP Shadow, hope you make it out next time. There is also a food vendor that Fred lines up that has great steak sandwiches. Next year we will tell Fred to turn the air conditioner on though.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Kevin CBR
I guess being older than you, SCCA payed tow money when the Nats were alternated between Riverside and Daytona. I was at both.Even got tow money for the switch to Atlanta.
Those were the Nats, and they went on for a whole week, 4 days of practice and Qual.
The change at Tamiya hurt a lot of outoftowners with the new TA05's plus the high temps during the race. It takes more than 1 day to get aclimated to the heat plus jet or driving lag takes its toll on energy too.

Hopefully Fred will change the schedule back to a full week, its a lot easyere to plan a full week of vacation when you figure in the cost of the race.
Last year it was practice till about 1 or 2, then to the beach
Fred Forg
Old 08-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Kevin CBR
I guess being older than you, SCCA payed tow money when the Nats were alternated between Riverside and Daytona. I was at both.Even got tow money for the switch to Atlanta.
Those were the Nats, and they went on for a whole week, 4 days of practice and Qual.
The change at Tamiya hurt a lot of outoftowners with the new TA05's plus the high temps during the race. It takes more than 1 day to get aclimated to the heat plus jet or driving lag takes its toll on energy too.

Hopefully Fred will change the schedule back to a full week, its a lot easyere to plan a full week of vacation when you figure in the cost of the race.
Fred Forg
The TAO5 was AS good as the 415. Heat did very little to upset the 05. I was impressed how well the 05 chassis held up in the 160D track temps.

Not even the locals were used to heat like that in Aliso Viejo. You could have practiced for the past 51 weeks at TA and not have encountered anything close to what we had this weekend.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Kevin CBR

Fred Forg
Riverside and Daytona, yes you are going way back to pre '80's. I remember the tow fund for Atlanta. Compared to "real" costs, it was a joke. But then, SCCA inked a deal that was good for them with the Road Atlanta circuit and there it was for many years. I ran GT-3, curious what class you ran in.

As for the two days only at Tamiya, I would rather see the whole week. I remember last year I only went out on Tuesday and Wednesday becuase I kept hearing how crowded Thursday and Friday would be only to show up on Saturday and hear everyone talk about how smooth controlled practice was those days. I would be in favor to open the whole week up. Let those show up when they want and run as much as they can.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks....

Just wanted to say thanks to a few folks that were EXTREMELY helpful leading up and through this past weekend.

-Steve Wang and SPEEDTECH; good to have you at the track and doing well. Thanks for the great service and support!

-Richard Smith - thanks for the laughs and congrats on a good run

-Ling Tong and Dan Garber - you guys are MONEY

-Jasper - pit support in a pinch. thanks for help, you can visit the 2nd place plaque anytime. the pink body is dialed.

-Chris Lim and Izzy - thanks for the last minute requests

-Robert Morris and KO - your support and equipment is DIALED

I would like to say congrats to the Champions; John H, Edgar F. and of course Corey Lewis. You guys officially graduated from the minor leagues and are now in the Majors. Time for Tamiya to foster a new group of Champs.

Corey - You are a class act. Make them proud in Japan.

*THANK YOU to the organizers of this event and series; and of course Fred for his countless hours and dedication.

It has been a fun year running the TCS series. I have met a lot of class folks from all areas of US and have been happy to say that on-track sportsmanship was awesome this year. A lot of respect on and off the track for all of the competitors. To the GT1 A-main guys especially Marty, Mark M. and Keith; you guys were blast to run with. Go get them next year!
Old 08-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

the heat sucks. can we move the nats to the end of sept? (although i think this might interrupt with racers with kids (who will be going back to school?) so end of august might be good since they wont be returning to school yet.)

oh well.. im blabbering. still dehydrated from the heat.

good times everyone. and great racing. congrats to houda, lewis and edgar. go get em in japan.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My main point is to hope that it is returned to a one week of track open format. While it might even out things a bit for out of towners versus locals, but my point is that 2 day practice versus week long practice is really not a money issue - that's the reason given, but I don't think it really is truly a money issue. The incremental cost of a week long open track versus two day practice is pretty small if you are staying 4 to a room.

When I come out there I want to have a week or so of fun at an excellent facility hosted by excellent Tamiya folks. Once I am coming to race, I just want the opportunity to make a week of it like we did up until this year.

I too am torn between the August and September dates, having been there for both. August heat sucks, but then having it in September limits the ability of the younger folk to come out and have fun at Nationals without missing school. My now 13 year old son qualified for nationals last year and had a blast racing there last year, and there is little chance that Mom will let him skip school in September to go race toy cars. And the young are the lifeblood of the hobby. But September sure was nice weather.

Now next year I'm really got to decide where to go. If Tamiya is August, my son really wants to go again. But then I'd also like to go to Scotty Ernst's Vegas race, and that will be September again I believe. Two trips is two months? And if Tamiya is end of September, then my son can't go, and I have to pick Tamiya or Vegas, can't be in two places at once. Decisions, decisions. Personally, I'm hoping that TCS Nationals remains in late August, with one week of open track like it used to be.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

160 degree track temps??!! Ouch. And I thought Memphis in July was hot enough.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey, RCGaryK, check your pm
Old 08-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Wow 160d track. Ouch! Anybody meltdown a body?

Seems like everybody is in favor of going back to the speedweek format.

Now if we can only get that change to go into effect and an advance on some of the 2006 rules. I say that because Fred did mention something about different tires for 2006.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

You guys are all complaining (or stating facts) about the week long practice. The track is the same every year and lots of info posted on the net. The track did have something new added to take away the local advantage. The track was layed out for only 2 days for everyone.

Then, all of you are forgeting about Tamiya's cost to run the facility. You have to have extra personel, track prep and porta potty rental. There is alot involved with putting on a race this big. The next big thing is the local neighbors, they like and pay BIG money to live in Alosi and dont want r/c guys making noise at 6 am every day. The neighbors complain each time there is a race. I am happy there is a race at the Tamiya facility.

Happy Times.

Last edited by lbckevin; 08-30-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

MANY MANY MANY MANY THANKS to Fred and the Tamiya crew for- once again- putting on a superb Nationals Event. You guys rock!

As far as the practice time dealio goes, I can never come out there for more than a day of practice anyway. I also know from experience that for me- this is just me- more practice just means more used parts. Instead, I have to quickly learn how to get a baseline setup and then just drive the car. That may mean I don't take home the steel every time, but five medals in seven regional races and an 8th place finish in the A at the Nats ain't too bad. On the other hand, lots of the out of towners love to come out for a week and do other stuff in addition to practice.

Regardless, a great event. Congrats to John (JPL!), Corey, Deven and Edgar for their wins. Especially Deven (now that THAT'S over, the rest of us can race with non-nuclear powered vehicles). A big shout-out to Marty, Paulie, Katzer, Mark, Nick, the Hickmoids, Andy David, Bill Doty, and all of my Tamiya buddies. It's gonna be a loooooooonnnnnngggg six months before this series starts up again.

Wish we had more fall races like we used to!

Later
Doc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.